General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ECU upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 09:44 PM

Hi! I am new to Maxima.org. I have a 1996 SE manual, and a few extra dollars to spend. I didn't get a blower, wish I did but didn't have that much money. I think people who bought blowers (superchargers) are cool!
I have added an underdrive pulley, Stillen intake and full cat back exhaust. I didn't know about Y pipes until Cattman told me to get one, and it is in the mail.
The only thing left I can do that I can think of is a ECU upgrade. Then for about $1700 I will have added roughly 40-50 horsepower. Any further improvements such as extrude honing and porting + polishing heads, or cams would give incremental gains at terrific cost. (Why didn't I just get the blower?)
But I wanted to ask everyone about ECU upgrades. I only know about Jim Wolf. I don't know if he is one in the same with G Force. Cattman sells Jim Wolf's stuff at a discount.
Stillen people tell me only to trust Jim Wolf.
Are ECU upgrades worth it? Is the power gains really there? I have seen some decent dyno numbers on other e-mails, such as 15 hp gain. Does anyone out there have a ECU upgrade they could tell me about? What about OBD-2?
Forgive me if anything I said doesn't sound intelligent!

Old 03-07-2001, 10:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check out http://www.maximadriver.com for more info on another ECU upgrade.

There was a group deal on an (what used to be called UPRD) ECU. People raved about it. Type in "UPRD ECU" into the search and read all about it!