General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Insurance policy void with mods? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My roommate said she's never heard of voiding a policy because of mods. She's been doing claims for Nationwide for 4 years.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:33 PM

this is funny because when you think about it almost 99% of the time aftermarket parts cost less or alot less than oem parts so i would rather get the money for the oem parts and then get the aftermarket parts to make a profit

i mean arnt oem 17's like 400$ a piece
Old 02-01-2004, 06:49 PM
brotherhood of tq

im covered by GE auto but they just sold out to AIG who now covers my insurance. But i was told by my insurance agent who sold me the policy said that nothing should change with my policy until i began a new payment yr which begins in august, so i would have to wait until then to see how AIG treats my moding on my car.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:00 PM
CCx

Thanks for everyone's help and responses -- I'm now insured by State Farm! They checked with their underwriter, who said that basically any insurance company can choose to insure whatever they want, which I guess is why I ran into the problem with Nationwide -- State Farm will cover any and all mods I do to my car (and more importantly, cover me and my car while those mods are on!), provided I have the reciepts for said mods.

Policy is a few dollars higher than Nationwide monthly, but looking at a large discount after my minor red-light violation comes off at the next renewal.

Thanks again for all of your help
-C
Old 02-03-2004, 12:06 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by CCx
State Farm will cover any and all mods I do to my car (and more importantly, cover me and my car while those mods are on!), provided I have the reciepts for said mods.
that's written?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:45 AM

I work for Nationwide.

I support the agents if they have problems writing or changing an existing policy.

I am not an underwriter, and that is who makes the calls.

THings vary state to state, but i Know you can have mods and things covered on any vehicle pretty much.

Technically if the car becomes more powerful, it is moved up a performance class and should be charged more. Does everyone obey this, no. Are you suppose to, yes.

I have seen late 1990s mstangs with coverage of $50,000.

Everything is possible. Other factors of course include driving records, ALH, and cbrs.

I personally just have all my receipts. If it is attached to the car, it is covered on my policy. Your coverage will vary. I did not mention my mods.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CCx
Thanks for everyone's help and responses -- I'm now insured by State Farm! They checked with their underwriter, who said that basically any insurance company can choose to insure whatever they want, which I guess is why I ran into the problem with Nationwide -- State Farm will cover any and all mods I do to my car (and more importantly, cover me and my car while those mods are on!), provided I have the reciepts for said mods.

Policy is a few dollars higher than Nationwide monthly, but looking at a large discount after my minor red-light violation comes off at the next renewal.

Thanks again for all of your help
-C

Newbie question... Is the reciept they are needing, for the purchase of the part and its installation, or just the purchase?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Just keep all of the receipts, but in the end, it's your insurance company's decision to cover the mods or not...