General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Insurance policy void with mods? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:25 PM
CCx

Insurance policy void with mods? HELP!

I was inquiring with my auto insurance carrier today (Nationwide) about coverage for the wheels and tires I just bought that I'll be putting on my car in May. They said no problem, it's covered, just need pics and reciepts, etc. -- Then I asked about mods, like if I get in an accident and my springs/shocks/intake/exhaust/etc. is screwed up, same deal? They said if I make ONE modificatin to the engine or suspension, my whole entire policy will be void!

That's kinda messed up, can anyone reccommend an insurance carrier that will cover engine and suspension mods in the event of a crash? I was going to inquire about stereo equipment too, but I was informed that Nationwide has just made it a standard part of their policy to cover up to $1500 worth of stereo equipment, and can provide coverage for extra.

So again, who is your insurance carrier and do they provide coverage for engine/suspension mods? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do wheels fall into a different category than the rest of the stuff. Are they gonna say next your screwed because you have window tint. How about that Maxima.org sticker. I can see if they don't want to cover that stuff, but they should still give you what the car is worth in the case of an accident. I've wondered this too, but never called. Might be interesting to see what other insurance companies say.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:43 PM
CCx

Exactly - they said they would cover my wheels provided I give them reciepts for the wheels and tires in advance, etc. That's fine with me, it's what I do for my renter's insurance too -- provided pictures and reciepts for all expensive items in my home. I can even understand if they say to me 'hey, we dont care if you have an intake/exhaust/springs/shocks but if you get in an accident, you're getting OEM stuff' -- that's perfectly acceptable to me -- I don't want to be in a situation however where if I was to be in an accident, the adjuster would show up to look at the damage and go "Hey, nice intake, nice exhaust, have fun fixing it on your own dime, goodbye!"

Definitely interested to hear others' opinions/reccommendations before I spend my week next week calling and surveying different insurance companies. Switching from the one I've been with for 7+ years now would suck but, I don't want to leave myself open to being screwed.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:59 PM

do they want to just write you a new policy or are they denying you insurance because of mods.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:05 PM
CCx

No, I was told that my car would become instantly 'ineligible for coverage' if I were to make one mod to the engine or suspension in any way. Since I have a current policy in good standing, I was told it would become void and I would be denied the option of making claims, etc. if I had an accident because of said modifications.

I can't believe this to be a normal practice, or else tens of thousands of people around the country would also be in the same boat, something I doubt.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Granny Driven

YEs that is true. I asked about engine mods as well and they said "if it alters the performance of your car we can not insure it" And WTF man, who gives a **** about a $100 intake and $500 sprimgs when your whole car gets messed up. If you had FI then its a doifferent story.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Originally Posted by CCx
Exactly - they said they would cover my wheels provided I give them reciepts for the wheels and tires in advance, etc. That's fine with me, it's what I do for my renter's insurance too -- provided pictures and reciepts for all expensive items in my home. I can even understand if they say to me 'hey, we dont care if you have an intake/exhaust/springs/shocks but if you get in an accident, you're getting OEM stuff' -- that's perfectly acceptable to me -- I don't want to be in a situation however where if I was to be in an accident, the adjuster would show up to look at the damage and go "Hey, nice intake, nice exhaust, have fun fixing it on your own dime, goodbye!"

Definitely interested to hear others' opinions/reccommendations before I spend my week next week calling and surveying different insurance companies. Switching from the one I've been with for 7+ years now would suck but, I don't want to leave myself open to being screwed.

thast nuts i dont understand how that is fair alot of people mod their cars an dont have a problem with insurance.....thast a loead of **** in my opinion how can they tell you ....u cant do anyhting to your car cuz then u wont be covered even though u pay and its YOUR car nots ours we still wont cover you

i cant bvelvie that is true
Old 01-30-2004, 03:10 PM

What about people that modifiy older cars or hot rods? What do they do for insurance?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 190hpKiLLA
YEs that is true. I asked about engine mods as well and they said "if it alters the performance of your car we can not insure it" And WTF man, who gives a **** about a $100 intake and $500 sprimgs when your whole car gets messed up. If you had FI then its a doifferent story.

so ur telling me all the people on this ORG arent covered with their insurance companies cuz of an intake or exhasut or springs??

this cant void ur entire insurance jsut doesnt sound right

-J
Old 01-30-2004, 03:18 PM

I have a mod. The insurance doesn't know about it. Muhahahaha.
INTAKE, that's it.

I will lower soon and put in a B-Y-Pipes.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:26 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 2k2whitemaxi
so ur telling me all the people on this ORG arent covered with their insurance companies cuz of an intake or exhasut or springs??

this cant void ur entire insurance jsut doesnt sound right

-J
they can make whatever decision they want...maybe they think people who mod cars are less safe (or drive more aggressively)...maybe they just lump it all in and say "any mod decreases the safety of the car"... who know.

but the end of the story is they CAN do it and they DID.

now, can we give him suggestions on mod-friendly insurance companies?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

ok fine, they deny insurance if you make suspension/engine mods. doesn't make a difference because we all have done it and no real big problems so far...

but the question is will they cover for a suspension/engine mod that gets damaged!

hmm... so if someone were to rear end me and my exhaust/tails/stillen rear valence were to be destroyed, would I be **** outta luck?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
now, can we give him suggestions on mod-friendly insurance companies?
Well, there has to be a few out there. I have a friend who was in an accident directly because of the engine modifications he had done (450 hp Mustang) and they totalled his car and wrote him a check for 14k. They didnt cover the cost of all his aftermarket parts, which was about 8 grand sitting on his credit cards. but they at least paid the value of the car. I'll ask him who his insurer was and get back to you.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:59 PM

There was a link to an article a while ago in the canada forum where the author was venting about his similar experiences in this matter. He had modified his sunfire and was told that he wouldnt be covered if he kept these mods. Maybe someone can search for it and repost it for this thread.
The strangest part was that he was almost 50 with a perfect driving record and he was being lumped with young and reckless crowd.
Besides, what is the difference of modding a max or purchasing a car like a viper? There are many cars out there that come standard with more hp, better suspension and exhaust and they dont get refused insurance.

Whats up with modifying sunfires and crapaliers?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
hmm... so if someone were to rear end me and my exhaust/tails/stillen rear valence were to be destroyed, would I be **** outta luck?
Yes, you would be S.O.L. unless you had provided your insurance company with reciepts and pictures and had them adjust the policy accordingly.

You have to look at it from their point of view (as much as i hate insurance companies.) You pay them X dollars a month to insure a 98 nissan maxima in stock form. They gaurantee that they will fix your 98 maxima with stock OEM 98 maxima parts if you are in an accident. If you add things on to the car that are worth more money, ie stillen kit, they they would be out more money in the event of an accident. Therefore, their risk is greater, so your payment will be greater.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Besides, what is the difference of modding a max or purchasing a car like a viper? There are many cars out there that come standard with more hp, better suspension and exhaust and they dont get refused insurance.
Sorry for my third post in this thread, but i have more to say.

Last I checked, insurance prices for a viper are WAY more than a maxima. Its not that they are denying coverage, its just that they charge more for greater insurance risks. Call up your agent and ask how much insurance would be for a 21 year old with a viper. Probably at least 400-600 a month.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Granny Driven

U see they dont told me MOdification that alters the performace of the car.

And if you want the mods to be covered you are going to have to find a diff company that will charge you more for the premium because there is more risk.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:11 PM
CCx

Originally Posted by 190hpKiLLA
And if you want the mods to be covered you are going to have to find a diff company that will charge you more for the premium because there is more risk.
At this point I don't even care if the mods are covered if I'm in an accident or not. The wheels and stereo (arguably going to turn out to be the most expensive mods I do to my car) are covered, that's enough for me.

I just want my car to be covered if I have mods. Thanks for any information so far, still looking for examples of companies that will provide this insurance. (Thanks in advance bfox55 for checking with your friend!)

Thanks guys
Old 01-30-2004, 04:12 PM
STFU n00b!

That's full of crap.

1. you shoudl never mention aftermarket parts other than IF you get in an accident.

2. I'm on Progressive.. they're more a-holes to deal with, but you can get a rider on the policy that covers replacement cost for $XXX in aftermarket parts.

Most likely, the ins guy's comment above was covering their liability that if you modify the suspension and it fails, causing the wreck. In general terms, bolting on aftermarket replacement parts is NOT modifying the suspension since you're not changing any mounting points or altering any parts that are on the car already. You shouldn't even mention springs/shocks when talking to insurance unless you've got a set of coilovers or something (and then you'd probably better find a different insurance carrier before you do that!

If you happen to get into a wreck and they need to replace an aftermarket part, then talk to the body shop about it. don't bring that up with the policy writers.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by bfox55
Yes, you would be S.O.L. unless you had provided your insurance company with reciepts and pictures and had them adjust the policy accordingly.

You have to look at it from their point of view (as much as i hate insurance companies.) You pay them X dollars a month to insure a 98 nissan maxima in stock form. They gaurantee that they will fix your 98 maxima with stock OEM 98 maxima parts if you are in an accident. If you add things on to the car that are worth more money, ie stillen kit, they they would be out more money in the event of an accident. Therefore, their risk is greater, so your payment will be greater.

ok so from personal experience, if someone else hits me, I usually don't get my insurance company involved. Since it was the other person's fault, their agent contacted me and I worked with her through the whole process.

Now, would THEY (not my insurance, but another persons' insurance company) pay for my mods?? I don't see why not... as long as i have receipts. Just wondering, thanks.

So you say that insurance only covers stock/OEM parts. What if I had a killer audio system and someone jacked it? same thing? I remembr a friend got money from insurance when someone broke into his car and stole his headunit and amps. I dont kno if he got the whole amount, but he did get $$ for it.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Conecarver

I'm dropping Nationwide after about 10 years of their service. Not just this reason but also their major price increases during the past 3 years for both auto & home. And their discontinuance of the golden blanket policy which offers actual cash replacement value.

Of the 3-4 other insurers I've talked to so far, many can insure for extra mods. You take a 20K vehicle and class it as a 25K or 30K vehicle and pay the premium based upon that. The detail of internal engine mods hasn't come up yet. I just told them I was a show type car and had significant $$ additions I'd like to cover; and had receipts for all.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by adroga

Whats up with modifying sunfires and crapaliers?

It's because of the modding! Take for instance, say you buy a 2000 maxima and a 2003 dodge viper...insurance companies have categories for different car types and naturally the viper will have a higher insurance rate due to the increased horsepower and cost to repair that type of vehicle in an accident. And I wouldn't doubt that insurance companies would deny you there services because you want to mod your car, think about it...insurance companies are like the only people that can discriminate. I mean honestly, women have cheaper insurance because they susposedly are better drivers than men. Is that not discrimination. Just trying to give an example...not to start anything. Which brings me back to my point that insurance companies would be able to deny you coverage if you or anyone else wants to mod their car vs someone who does not want to modify their car. And if they do accept the fact that you will be modding your car, the premium will probably be more. Hope this helps.

Nick
Old 01-30-2004, 04:22 PM
CCx

Very good feedback, it looks like I'll be switching insurance companies

So with the new insurance company, don't mention any mods whatsoever besides wheels and stereo? I definitely get what you are saying about if it's someone else's fault and dealing with their insurance company -- but if I'm at fault or dealing with an uninsured motorist, I still would not want to get screwed.

MattSE93, I'll look into Progressive, thank you!

BEJAY1, do you have an example of what type of premiuim I'm in for if we were to go the route you explained?

nadir_s, they do cover the stereo. Most insurance companies now do cover stereos up to a certain amount (mine is $1500) without any extra coverage.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by CCx
...don't mention any mods whatsoever besides wheels and stereo?
this would be dumb...the last thing you want is to get in an accident and injure someone, then turn to your insurance company and have them say "you violated your policy so we're not paying" and they you're stuck with a few hundred thousand in medical bills.

it's better to ask the question up front when you're choosing an insurance company.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:47 AM

My roommate works for Nationwide... I really doubt your entire policy is void if you have engine or suspension mods but I'll be sure to ask tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:15 AM

they think if you mod your car that you drive fast and crazy... races and more!!
my insurance doesnt know anything...
Old 01-31-2004, 06:07 AM
Jedi Knight

CCx,

I have a number for you to call. One of my good friends, who is an insurance rep. COme to think of it I have two. Hit me up on AIM and I'll get you the information.

nupe
Old 01-31-2004, 07:25 AM

read your policy

I'm an insurance agent licensed in about 26 states. If it's not in the wording in your policy jacket (the book they give you), specifically saying that modding your vehicle voids the policy, it will be covered. Anything that is "attached" to the vehicle, such as wheels, tires, suspension, has to be covered. It's an item needed to drive the vehicle. They may not pay you the aftermarket cost for these items but they will have to pay for at least the OEM parts.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by nupe
I'm an insurance agent licensed in about 26 states. If it's not in the wording in your policy jacket (the book they give you), specifically saying that modding your vehicle voids the policy, it will be covered. Anything that is "attached" to the vehicle, such as wheels, tires, suspension, has to be covered. It's an item needed to drive the vehicle. They may not pay you the aftermarket cost for these items but they will have to pay for at least the OEM parts.

good to hear these poeple got me worried for a second

-J
Old 01-31-2004, 07:44 AM

Just don't mention an illegal y-pipe
Old 01-31-2004, 08:25 AM
CCx

Originally Posted by nupe
You licensed in PA? Want to give me coverage?

I read my policy that was just mailed to me for my renewal cover to cover and saw NOTHING about modifying the engine or suspension voiding the coverage -- it was only when I called and then spoke directly to the underwriter that I was told the news I posted above.

Ola, thanks for hookup, I emailed your guy and see what he says.

Thanks everyone else for the info, and again if your insurance company DEFINITELY covers your car with mods on it, let me know which one it is - i'm going insurance shopping Monday (sucks because I have a great rate, but need to be covered!)

Thanks, .org!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:14 AM
STFU n00b!

As I said above, I've got progressive.. totalled one car (my fault), and they paid for all the mods on it...

They gave me a bunch of crap about the value of the car because of the aftermarket seats and aluminum dash kit, but then I turned around and showed them the pics of it at car shows and etc when the interior was stock, and mentioned I could have it back to that condition in an hour.. they quit whining and paid for the car and the mods... they paid the receipt value too, not just the depreciated "replacement cost" of the same thing (as some of my amps were 6 years old. even though it cost me $1400 for one of my PPI amps, the depreciated value would be about $200. no way in hell can you replace it for that!)
Old 01-31-2004, 09:21 AM
CCx

Thanks Matt, I'll be giving them a call on Monday to see what they can do for me too
Old 01-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Jedi Knight

Progressive sucks here on the east coast...my experience with them..although my cousin is an adjuster for them
Old 01-31-2004, 02:05 PM
SEdge

i've had insurance cover a few things on my car, including body work for an accident. they sent out a guy to take a look at the car etc, and he didn't notice my mods or anything. they covered everything fine. i guess if you just don't let them know about it until circumstances force you to you'll be fine.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:10 PM

I'm covered by esurance.com. They have a rider that covers performance and stereo upgrades. Its not that expensive - well worth the piece of mind.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:49 PM
brotherhood of tq

I was told by my insurance company that if i had any mods on my car and i showed them reciepts of the mods before i got into any accidents that they would charge me a little more on my policy but if i ever get into an accident them they would cover every thing on my car.
example: cars worth is 10g's + 4g's of mods then i'll get paid 14g's or so from my insurance company
Old 02-01-2004, 12:34 AM
CJ7

My insurance company know that I turn wrenches on everything that I own and it's not a problem. I had a 1970 Cutlass that was beutiful and all the asked me was to have it appraised and that would be the cars value. I would also pay that premium but it's a hell of alot better then them telling me that blue book is $200.

They also know my plans for my Jeep and when done(not likly it's a Jeep) I'll have about $8-10k into it, and that with no sterio.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:11 AM
CCx

liqidvenom and CJ7, who are you insured by?
Old 02-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

About a month ago someone pulled in front of me and I hit them on the side. It was her fault. Now in the state of Connecticut and in other states, they have this thing called "partial liability" basically they said (metlife) that i was partially at fault becuase i was just out driving that day. So they ended up saying it was 90% her fault 10% mine. I'm like you gotta be kidding me, she got the ticket. Anyways, when discussing the value of the car all they do is put the VIN number stuff and mileage in NADA and get a figure and thats what you get. No negotiating. When talking to a lawyer...they said he cant help becuase insurance companies can really do whatever they want. Whatever you do, avoid accidents at alllll costs even if its not your fault, you still get screwed!!!

Quick Reply: Insurance policy void with mods? HELP!