General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lowering spring setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 10:41 PM

sorry if this has been discussed but I am in a hurry. anyways I know its not good to have stock shocks with lowering springs but is it possible? how many ppl do this? how does it handle? I dont have too much $$ so I figure to get sprints or Eibachs and get konis later.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:25 PM

my stock struts lasted ~2-3 weeks..
after i got my H&Rs...

im sure with sprints..
ur stock struts wont last..

u'll be bouncing all over the place

Old 03-08-2001, 09:43 AM
Banned

not always true.....

steve lowered his car a month ago with sprints and has the stock struts... his still work fine.. they are getting worse ..but still they work.. my advise is to go ahead and get the struts too.... i know its alot of money but it will save hassle in the end
Old 03-08-2001, 12:26 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

i just bought the sprints for mine like 2 weeks ago since they have the lowest drop, im on stock struts and so far its not that bad, one of my rear ones was already blown so i hear it knock when i hit a speed bump but the ride is basically like stock until you hit a bump and then you feel the stiffness but overall im happy. this should work for now and then later ill get the struts replaced.
teh handling is great, combined with the FSTB there is not very much body roll at all , as a matter of fact when i take a turn too fast since it is so stiff i will squeel the tires a bit, eventually ill get some nice tired/wheels, and i will be handling like a champ
Old 03-08-2001, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can do it.

I wouldn't. Within 10,000 miles on Eibachs, every Maxima (heck every car I know) with stock shocks had killed them. With Sprint springs I wouldn't expect stock shocks to maintain any sort of reasonable ride quality for more than 1,000 miles, maybe 2,000.
Old 03-08-2001, 02:47 PM

KYB...

Give KYB GR2's a try. They can handle the eibach drop and aren't too expensive. Check metallic97gxe's sig for a link to a place that sells them for under $200 shipped. I have a feeling they would serve you just as well as tokico, which soften up quick. Hey, when the KYB's go, hopefully you can replace them with KYB AGX adjustables...

Take a look at this current thread:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...threadid=26868

[Edited by maxspeed5 on 03-08-2001 at 04:50 PM]
Old 03-08-2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by maxse91
i just bought the sprints for mine like 2 weeks ago since they have the lowest drop, im on stock struts and so far its not that bad, one of my rear ones was already blown so i hear it knock when i hit a speed bump but the ride is basically like stock until you hit a bump and then you feel the stiffness but overall im happy. this should work for now and then later ill get the struts replaced.
teh handling is great, combined with the FSTB there is not very much body roll at all , as a matter of fact when i take a turn too fast since it is so stiff i will squeel the tires a bit, eventually ill get some nice tired/wheels, and i will be handling like a champ
Dude Your car is going to look sweet once you get some rims.. I like that look alot black with dark a$$ tint.. only thing you need to do is get the clear corners and rims.. tight ride.
Old 03-09-2001, 02:19 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by buss95max
my stock struts lasted ~2-3 weeks..
after i got my H&Rs...

im sure with sprints..
ur stock struts wont last..

u'll be bouncing all over the place

Really, when i called H&R two days about using their Sport Springs for my 2k max, they said that it's okay to use it with stock shocks..further no bumpstop trimming is required..anyone believes this?

Tim

Old 03-09-2001, 06:56 AM

I'm about to install H&R springs today with stock I30T shocks? The car has less then 2K on it. These sprins will ware my shocks faster?
Old 03-09-2001, 01:00 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by TexMaximum
I'm about to install H&R springs today with stock I30T shocks? The car has less then 2K on it. These sprins will ware my shocks faster?
Definitely, but i think it's okay to use H&R with i30T shocks since the shocks are fairly new and it's stiffer.

Give some feeback on ride quality and handling after the installation would you?

Thanks
Tim

Old 03-09-2001, 10:02 PM
00DubbedMax

You'll be good on stock struts till about 60,000 miles

Old 03-09-2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Wustylez

Really, when i called H&R two days about using their Sport Springs for my 2k max, they said that it's okay to use it with stock shocks..further no bumpstop trimming is required..anyone believes this?

Tim
When I called H&R a couple days ago about my 98 GLE (24k mi), they said with the stock shocks would last the same amount of time with their Sport springs as they would with stock springs.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:51 PM

Well, the ride is still good. Over regular/mild road conditions, I don't even think you can tell the difference. However, now over speed bumps, the rear seams to bottom out. Not the car bottoming out, but the shock seems to hit as low as it can, and kind of abruptly?

Anyhow, I had the original springs in a box, and a few items, maybe 40Lbs, in the trunk, so I will test that again with the load or loose objects. I guess with any lowered card you should extremely creep over speed bumps anyhow?

I think with a little less tire pressure, or better tires then the stock protenzas, it may even be very close to stock feel on the semi to very bumpy roads. The springs were great quality, and the new stance looks great. I will post pics this weekend. So far I would recommend H&R over the other springs. Plus they are used in such cars as Mercedes.

Handling in this car is excellent. I’m rather impressed actually. Stock, its was already far better then any car in its class. Its like a Maxima SE with an extra step in tuning for corner carving. The Viscus really helps in the turns also I noticed, when your about to floor it and sling our of a turn at WOT, the power from BOTH wheels is great. The only additional items on it for handling other then the H&R springs, is the RSB. I’m going to add a FSTB, and call it quits on suspension tell the shocks go out.