General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

CLUTCH !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 01:09 PM
MaxirmaSE

does anybody know if 99 maxima's clutch is the same as the 2k maxima's? Im looking for an ACT clutch.

Old 03-08-2001, 09:03 PM
MaxirmaSE

Has anyone with a 2k maxima changed thier clutch to a performace one yet?

Old 03-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why do you want a peformance Clutch?

I meen it's not like you have serius power mods. I would not change your Clutch unless it is slipping, which it should not be because your car is so new. BTW if it is slipping have Nissan put a new one in for you under warranty.
Old 03-09-2001, 06:56 AM
MaxirmaSE

My clutch is getting there.

wouldent i have to take out all my mods then?
I realy want the extreme ACT clutch any ways!Im also looking for a flywheel.

Old 03-09-2001, 10:22 AM

All right I am in the same boat as you then,

my Clutch slips because my SC is over powering it. I will probably get a Alloy Flywheel from Stillen and a Stage III Centerforce Clutch{from Stillen too}. I had the same setup on my max and it worked great. I have heard ACT clutches are known to rip a part alloy flywheels because they stick to well, go figure.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:40 AM
Keven97SE

LOL! If you really get the ACT Extreme clutch, then you're going to find your car drives like CRAP. First of you don't NEED a stronger clutch. I'd stick with what you have until you either get something like the supercharger kit or add a big shot of nitrous or your original clutch REALLY DOES start slipping. Don't assume it's slipping when it's not. That said, I have the ACT heavy duty clutch w/ heavy duty pressure plate and modified stock disk, and it is a perfect clutch for a slightly modified Maxima. I replaced my stock clutch because I had to replace the transmission, so I might as well have done the upgrade to kill 2 birds with one stone. The stock clutch actually holds fine, but is not nearly as smooth in operation as this ACT clutch. The ACT is an improvement definitely, but not worth the $$ if the stock clutch had still been okay. This HD ACT unit will hold ~40% more torque than the stocker. You have some room to play with more mods (ie it'll work with the supercharger, nitrous, etc).

The Extreme clutch is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than you need. First off, it uses a metal puck-style disk, which holds like mad but is terrrribly rough. It engages immediately, which is good for a monster engine at the track but will 1) damage your tranny and crankshaft over time, 2) make everyone who rides in your car HATE you, and 3) makes you look like a fool on the street because you'll stall the car more times than not.

Getting a "race clutch" does not make your car faster, but will make your car a nightmare to drive and will ruin the drivetrain over time.

Originally posted by MaxirmaSE

My clutch is getting there.

wouldent i have to take out all my mods then?
I realy want the extreme ACT clutch any ways!Im also looking for a flywheel.

Old 03-09-2001, 05:53 PM

Clutch replacement??

With that said about the ACT Clutch, what would you recomend? My current clutch is going and hopefuly I'll be installing a Supercharger and maybe an NOS system so I need a better clutch. I was thinking about centerforce or maybe the JWT clutch, I want it to hold more power but don't want to distroy my tranny or have a hard launch clutch. Any thoughts? Thanks.
1995 GXE 1st Place NOPI Nationals 2000
Old 03-09-2001, 07:55 PM
MaxirmaSE

I know how to drive.....I've driven my friends car w/ an extreme ACT clutch and i loved it, and I had no problems driving it.I know it will mess up the tranny by time but this is what I want.

Not to be mean, but all im asking is will the 99 fit on the 2k?
Has anyone changed thier clutch to an ACT yet?

Old 03-09-2001, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by MaxirmaSE
does anybody know if 99 maxima's clutch is the same as the 2k maxima's? Im looking for an ACT clutch.
So Will th Centerforce Dual Frction be a better clutch for a couple of mods than the ACT Clutch. Come on guys give me some help...
Old 03-09-2001, 09:28 PM

I found that my Stage III Centerforce Clutch

more then suffeciant for a highly modded 95 NA Maxima. I only used it for about 1500 miles though so I can't really say how long/Little it would last. I am personaly going to go with the Centerforce Clutch again because there is little if any info regarding other Clutches and I have all ready had a good experience with it.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:37 PM

Re: I found that my Stage III Centerforce Clutch

Originally posted by emax95
more then suffeciant for a highly modded 95 NA Maxima. I only used it for about 1500 miles though so I can't really say how long/Little it would last. I am personaly going to go with the Centerforce Clutch again because there is little if any info regarding other Clutches and I have all ready had a good experience with it.
What is the price on one of these?
Old 03-09-2001, 09:53 PM

I bought my Clutch through Stillen {Dean},

for $299.BTW the Centerforce Clutch h\as a life time warranty=Bonus!