General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tire Sipe, any one know much on this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 04:33 PM

I ran into a guy today who is in a business that sipes(hope this is right spelling) tires. He says that they sipe even the newest models, and that tire manufactures are only now catching one. He said it improved traction in rain and snow. He also said siping a tire that was half worn would help longevity and help regain traction. Please educate me on this one. Thanks
Old 03-08-2001, 04:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey Dan!

Tire sniping is not new. It's designed to give tires more "bite" in hardpacked snow or ice. I don't know if it really helps in the rain or not. I also don't know if I would do this on high performance tires designed for ie... 130mph+. If you have some dedicated winter or m&s tires, I guess that would be okay. They cut little slits in the tire for more traction.

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
I ran into a guy today who is in a business that sipes(hope this is right spelling) tires. He says that they sipe even the newest models, and that tire manufactures are only now catching one. He said it improved traction in rain and snow. He also said siping a tire that was half worn would help longevity and help regain traction. Please educate me on this one. Thanks
Old 03-08-2001, 05:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Road and Track responded to a letter about this quite a few years ago. In plain English, they said it was a scam, and not to get it done. I don't know anything about it, but I tend to agree that anything that slices the tread and makes the tire able to move around more will reduce traction.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:30 PM
MaxSE97

I just got new tires two weeks ago and they talked me into siping... My tires are performing well but I'm skeptical that the siping is doing much. I don't think its hurting any though. You can barely tell they did anything by looking. If I had it to do over again I would have saved the 40$ extra it cost. I feel kidna scammed.

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE

Old 03-09-2001, 09:56 AM

I readthe same article as Weasel and wouldn't recommned it. I would tend to think the tire company's qualified engineers design their tires for optimal traction per the type of tire purchased. Current designs are absent of small cuts or sipes. I would assume these engineers know more about tire design and traction than some guys who mounts and rotates tires for a living...
Old 03-09-2001, 12:42 PM

Sipes are not need, and don't help, on dry pavement. Helps on other surfaces. Many of the new AS tires have sipes (Michelin, Dunlop SP5000). The first time I read about this was in the 60's. Flat track (hard dirt) motor cycle racers (and I think car folks also) did this. The sharp dege that the sipe creates helps on soft surfaces and moisture. These thin cuts are hard to mold into the tire, which is why it wasn't done until recently.