General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Deadly Accident from a 96 maxima at Orlando,FL

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 PM

Deadly Accident from a 96 maxima at Orlando,FL

This goes out to all the Maxima Fan
I dont know if any of the Orlando Maxima Member held about the teenager that was driving a 1996 Maxima in a drag racing with a ford focus...if not this is what it was in the paper.....

Two Kissimmee-area teenagers were killed and a young woman was seriously injured after their car slammed into tree late friday in what authorities suspec was an illegal drag race on Hotel Plaza BLVD near Lake Bueana Vista.
Josue Rivera, 17, who was driving a 1996 Nissan Maxima and passenger Sergio Badia, 16 died after Rivera lost control of his car, crossed a grass median and struck a tree about 11:25pm friday. The driver sister was seriously injured. "It basically wrapped around a tree" It was the second time in the past week that a pair of teens died in a suspected drag-racing accident. Rivera Maxima was racing a Ford Focus that fled the scene after the accident. The Focus is white or silver with dark-tinted windows and ground ligthing effects. ANYONE WITH INFORMATION ABOUT THE VEHICLE MAY REMAIN ANONYMOUS AND COULD BE ELIGIBLE FOR A REWAR BY CALLING CRIMELINE....

So there you go guys...I think Fast and Furious is living in everyone life and we need to be more carefull..Bring the race to the track and not the street..If you going to make your car fast well tested the speed with someone else on the track. Another Maxima fan lose his life and others for showing off his fast wheel. This is sick to hear that people are losing their life for racing other people on the street..Well i out I hope you learn something...

This is goes off to the CFMC Im wondering if someone knew this guy or was he in the club????
Old 02-10-2004, 08:05 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

kids are dumb so they're not gonna stop street racing.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:15 PM

It's a very sad strory but they were kids and we know kids usually don't make the brightest of choices, and sometimes they pay the most dire of consequnces. Just wondering do any of you guys feel the driver of the focus is resposible in anyway for the death of those two kids?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by soulrupture
It's a very sad strory but they were kids and we know kids usually don't make the brightest of choices, and sometimes they pay the most dire of consequnces. Just wondering do any of you guys feel the driver of the focus is resposible in anyway for the death of those two kids?

Well i work at compusa in orlando one of the cops that work their told me that he was the first person in the scene and he couldnt believe what he saw..he couldnt sleep that night it was so bad...As for the Focus driver when they find he..he going to be charge for something that i forgot he said it was but it wasnt good..This guy is going to prison for what he did..And i wouldnt want to be him right now..
Old 02-10-2004, 09:15 PM

The story writer needs to check their grammar.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Sad story. Hopefully the cops will find that Focus.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Just wondering do any of you guys feel the driver of the focus is resposible in anyway for the death of those two kids?

Not unless they were pointing a gun at the other vechicle or making threating remarks to them. It's sad lives were lost, but from what the story "implies" the 2 drivers made the "choice" to race.

So while the focus driver was there and is part of the reason there was an accident, they in IMHO are not responisible for the deaths.

And BTW, for those of you that "may" know the details of this story, it can be used against you in a court of law. If they find out.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

very sad story but i dont blame this bad situation on street racing but on bad driving and no common sense. Why would u race anywhere remotely near a grass field and a tree? You take a wide street with minimal to no bumps and dips and you have a safe road to race on. And the guys obviously didnt care about their limits just thought about winning. You CAN street race safely if u r smart...i know i'll get flamed but it needs to be said...my condolensces to their parents...RIP
Old 02-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Street racing or not, the popularity of street racing will never decrease if we keep hyping it up with stupid movies and shows on family TV stations. Street racing has been around since the days of speakeasys. Its not going to go away. Its just more of a problem today, because there is way more traffic on the streets... Oh well whatever I feel bad for the familys involved.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:17 AM

What if this street racer was an org member, and was looking forward to bragging here afterward about his “kill”? Perhaps not. But if so, should we still dismiss the possibility that street race threads, on weekends or any other time, with those brainless replies like “nice kill” or “congrats” can contribute to someone actually being killed?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:08 AM

Streetracing is a risk you take. We all know the risks people take. Its just a damn shame somebody had to die over that. My heart goes out to the family. As for the focus driver, it wasnt his fault. Would you pull over???? Its really hard to make that decision when you are in that kind of situation....
Old 02-11-2004, 10:20 AM

yea but he commited
a crime when he left the scene like that
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

There are a host of crimes with which te Focus Driver can be charged.

When 2 bank robbers commit a robbery and one of them is shot dead by the police, the surviving robber can be charged with murder, so long as he intended to commit the act that set into motion the incident that resulted in loss of life here.

At the very least, he is facing unlawful contest of speed, speeding/reckless driving, fleeing the scene of an accident (with injury), and voluntary manslaughter (3 counts).

Do I agree? Not 100%, but those are the laws, folks...
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

There are a host of crimes with which the Focus Driver can be charged.

When 2 bank robbers commit a robbery and one of them is shot dead by the police, the surviving robber can be charged with murder, so long as he intended to commit the act that set into motion the incident that resulted in loss of life here.

At the very least, he is facing unlawful contest of speed, speeding/reckless driving, fleeing the scene of an accident (with injury), and voluntary manslaughter (3 counts).

Old 02-11-2004, 11:38 AM

He fled the scene of an accident resulting in death. The state may also have a good samaratian law.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
There are a host of crimes with which the Focus Driver can be charged.

Well, 2 counts of manslaughter, because the sister didnt die, but anyways, its sad that this happens so often.

I agree with meccanoble about street racing safely. I do it occasionally. For me however, i dont sit there and do 100+ on a two lane road in the dark. More like a 1-2 shift and im done. Its just not worth the risk of getting a ticket or is this case, losing your life. Its also sad that the kid who was the passenger also died for a choice the two drivers made.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:33 PM
It's chrome alright...

call me cold, but other than a '96 maxima was mentioned in the article, why should I care about this?

Apparently the driver did it of his own free will. Apparently the passengers at best allowed it or at worst encouraged it. And apparently there is one less dumbass street racer to possibly kill my family or me when I'm in that area.

I do feel bad for the families because they're going to suffer, but what makes this newsworthy?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 PM

I don't know anything about this but good for the ford focus driver. He had the ultimate "Kill". It's sad that we try to blame others for our mistakes. Unless the cops have proof that the ford-focus was street racing and it left the scene of the accident I see no reason they should even continue looking for the driver because he did not do anything. It would be an injustive to punish the ford focus driver in any sort of way for the death of those two teenagers. All of us should also take a step back and not assume anything about this situation. For all we know, the ford focus could of been speeding and the maxima tried to catch up and went into a tree. Its sad and tragic but life goes on and we should move on and so should the cops and not waste their time looking for someone to blame cause the person to blame is already 6 feet under.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:16 PM

Check This Out

My boss was in FL for a wedding and SAW THIS ACCIDENT HAPPEN. She called me the next day all freaked out because she knows I drive a modded Maxima and wants me to be careful. She said the Maxima never even hit the brakes and totally wrapped around the tree. The top had to be cut off to get the kids out and there was a screaming girl in the back seat.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:37 PM

There are some real insensitive *******s in this thread. I mean two people died! It was a mistake that the driver made to race but come on. Think if it was your brother, cousin, friend. This was a horrible story and I hope everyone thinks about this thread before they race.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaMoJo
There are some real insensitive *******s in this thread. I mean two people died! It was a mistake that the driver made to race but come on. Think if it was your brother, cousin, friend. This was a horrible story and I hope everyone thinks about this thread before they race.
I agree with you .. . why is it that we all are quick to jump on the bandwagon and call people idiots for street racing. Im POSITIVE at least half of us have got into little stoplight battles, many of us aren't the right lane 55MPH drivers, and we all made mistakes and have had bad judgement in the past, whether it be in our Maxima, or your first car when you were 17, 18 - many of us were just fortunate enough to not die from our lack of good judgement. Now some HUMAN BEING, who did something many of us have done at one point, made a mistake and it costed someone's life. Some of you guys need to lighten up, we all seen "the pike" video, that kind of driving is not much safer than 0-70 stoplight races.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
I agree with you .. . why is it that we all are quick to jump on the bandwagon and call people idiots for street racing. Im POSITIVE at least half of us have got into little stoplight battles, many of us aren't the right lane 55MPH drivers, and we all made mistakes and have had bad judgement in the past, whether it be in our Maxima, or your first car when you were 17, 18 - many of us were just fortunate enough to not die from our lack of good judgement. Now some HUMAN BEING, who did something many of us have done at one point, made a mistake and it costed someone's life. Some of you guys need to lighten up, we all seen "the pike" video, that kind of driving is not much safer than 0-70 stoplight races.

Like I said, I have no pity. One less street racer on the road. I don’t see it as an accident. He intentionally accelerated his car past the legal limit and then past the safe speed for him to recover in case of any "accident". He made an intentional and pre-though judgment call when he stepped on the throttle, that is no accident and the consequences while not foreseen were a direct result of actions he chose to do. When I sky-dive, if the parachute fails to open that is a malfunction with the chute and if I die it is a direct result of the risks and actions I took and not some freak accident. I’m sure if everyone in the car died except the driver we would see a different reaction from people towards him. Cars are not toys and while going fast is fun it’s dangerous and those of us who take the risk are responsible for any consequences that result from it (Driver and passengers took the risk) end of story.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:53 PM

Yet another life lost to the gay sport of street racing. Prayers to the families.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Ok, its sad story... im very sorry for those guys but its not the focus fault only... some guys they dont know how to racing... just do safe street racing
-you can do it-
Old 02-11-2004, 04:18 PM

It's not the focus' fault.. I street race occasionally when i get the chance.. not alot however, I know the consquences (death, ticket) just as I am sure he did. And he fell of.... It's sad...
Old 02-11-2004, 05:38 PM
retired moderator

Playing devil's advocate, a few things to think about:

1. Mechanical failure could have been a cause..or perhaps the driver was at a controllable speed and blew out a tire which caused loss of control...
2. Any possibility the focus was ahead and didn't actually SEE the max go off the road? That said, if the Focus DID see the accident, he is going to hell for not stopping to help, even if there was a chance he could get in trouble when the cops got there.
3. All the focus has to do is deny that he was racing...ie he was just driving along and the maxima goes blowing by him...Unless there was an eyewitness who got his plates, how else could you possibly prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was racing or even THERE?
4. This is reason #1 that when I have kids that get to driving age, they will be driving a poo-poo volvo 240 station wagon or something - it'll be slow, so they will have no ideas of racing anybody or going too fast...it'll be non-stylin, so no use trying to be a show-off...and it'll be a Volvo, so it's built like a tank....my kids will not be driving huge SUV's or sports cars or sports sedans.

Take the ability to street race away, and they won't street race....

and I know about bulletproof volvo 240's....I had 2 of them - both got t-boned (neither my fault) and neither injured me or caused heavy damage to my car (the Honda and the Miata that hit me, on the other hand....)

oo sorry, rant over!
Old 02-11-2004, 07:17 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't feel sorry for street racers the same way I don't feel sorry for drunk drivers.

Even though I might feel bad if someone like Sprinty or Dezzo died from a 'pike-like' accident, it's still their fault and that doesn't make me an a$$hole.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:10 PM
ABK

Sad story.
One thing you don't do is race like crazy on the parking lot.
Second thing don't race with other people in the car, you are responsible for the people.

Street racing isn't gay or anything, you just got to do it safe like make sure that you will stop at the right speed, pick the safe place with enough room for error,and don't waste your time on pc of **** cars because it's not worth it to risk on something stupid.

I'm pretty sure that all of us did alot of stupid stuff during our lifes, so don't be a saint. **** happens. This will defently make me be more careful.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:22 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
just do safe street racing
-you can do it-
no, you can't. It's like saying "just do safe unprotected sex"... eventually something will catch up with you... Can you do it once or twice or ten times and have nothing bad happen? Sure. But then again you can do it once and DIE. By definition that means it's NOT safe.

And before all the arguments about "you could die crossing the street" start flying, that is not a valid comeback in the case of street racing. It's much easier to avoid trouble when walking, or when driving within the posted speed limit, or even if you're breaking the posted speed limit but are still within "reasonable" speeds.

I go 40 in a 30 mph zone all the time. But going 50 in that same zone is unsafe. Obviously this kid found and exceeded his "safe" limits and wrapped his car around a tree. Yes I feel bad for the family but there is a bright side to every story... he won't kill anyone else.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
no, you can't. It's like saying "just do safe unprotected sex"... eventually something will catch up with you... Can you do it once or twice or ten times and have nothing bad happen? Sure. But then again you can do it once and DIE. By definition that means it's NOT safe.

And before all the arguments about "you could die crossing the street" start flying, that is not a valid comeback in the case of street racing. It's much easier to avoid trouble when walking, or when driving within the posted speed limit, or even if you're breaking the posted speed limit but are still within "reasonable" speeds.

I go 40 in a 30 mph zone all the time. But going 50 in that same zone is unsafe. Obviously this kid found and exceeded his "safe" limits and wrapped his car around a tree. Yes I feel bad for the family but there is a bright side to every story... he won't kill anyone else.
you can do "unprotected sex" if you know the girl VERY WELL... its the same, if you know the street and if you know how to race you will be safe!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:42 PM
ABK

yeah that's what I'm talking about
Old 02-11-2004, 09:59 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
you can do "unprotected sex" if you know the girl VERY WELL...
something will catch up with you...
its the same, if you know the street and if you know how to race you will be safe!!!
keep telling yourself those lies and you're going to end up

-diseased
-a daddy
-broke from tickets
-jailed for racing
-without a car (same reason)
-dead (from either racing, or the girl)

this is a dumb argument... there is no such thing as a safe street race. Ask a PROFESSIONAL racer and they'll tell you racing on a track is BARELY safe... so here's the deal... you have no training, minimal safety equipment, no control over the surroundings or environment, little to no knowledge of your opponent, and are driving a street car not designed to be pushed like a street race pushes a car, but you say you're "safe" if you "know how to street race." I say you're "dead, or going to kill someone, and you've just been lucky so far."
Old 02-11-2004, 10:15 PM

My opinion still stands. . driving agressivly can be just as dangerous as street racing, and half you guys are being hypocritical *******s.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:08 AM

things happen people. Lets move on. It happened this time and itll happen again.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
something will catch up with you...keep telling yourself those lies and you're going to end up

-diseased
-a daddy
-broke from tickets
-jailed for racing
-without a car (same reason)
-dead (from either racing, or the girl)

this is a dumb argument... there is no such thing as a safe street race. Ask a PROFESSIONAL racer and they'll tell you racing on a track is BARELY safe... so here's the deal... you have no training, minimal safety equipment, no control over the surroundings or environment, little to no knowledge of your opponent, and are driving a street car not designed to be pushed like a street race pushes a car, but you say you're "safe" if you "know how to street race." I say you're "dead, or going to kill someone, and you've just been lucky so far."
We DONT have a track in CT... dont worry i trust my self
Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 AM

hell yea everyone stfu about this. It's a matter of opinion. THis is like fighting over whites and blacks.... Its not going to end...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:00 AM

I wonder if the race went something like this:

Old 02-12-2004, 08:01 AM

Old 02-12-2004, 08:03 AM

Perhaps we’re making progress here. One of the standard arguments that street race enthusiasts use is that they’re only endangering themselves, are willing to take the risk, so buzz off. Well, I haven’t seen that in this thread because, obliviously, innocent people did die in this accident, proving that the risk is often shared by other people who are blameless but die anyway.

Now if we could only refute that other misguided argument: “There will always be street racing, so why attempt to do anything about it?”
Old 02-12-2004, 08:11 AM

Antagonist, on this race the road was wet...

Quick Reply: Deadly Accident from a 96 maxima at Orlando,FL