General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Indiglo gauge problems!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 10:01 PM

I got my indiglo gauges in today and immediately started to put them in. I ran into problems early on. the 2 nuts holding the steering column, I couldn't take out because the bolts that they were on were too long so the socket couldn't even fit over them to get to the nuts with my socket wrench. Then when putting on the faces, the speedo and tachometer...The holes in the middle that are suppoed to fit around the needles, they were too small! I did exactly what the instructions said. But the hooles were just a little to smalland the only way to put them on was to take off the needles but that would be a very stupid move. The temp gauge i did mannage to get on but the indiglo gauge ontop of the stock one made it so thick that the needle couldn't even move! And it would be impossible to put double sided tape under all that. It would just be too thick...I'm pretty sure Infiniti gauges are different but damn! So many problems. Please help me someone!
Old 03-10-2001, 05:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

take the needles off so you can take off the old gauges. it's not hard to do and if you take your time, you won't mess up. I took them off when I put on my white face overlays. Just make sure to take your time. Here's directions for taking the needle off:
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/dashinstall.html

good luck
Old 03-11-2001, 12:03 AM

i sorta had same problem

yea...i sorta had the same problem but i have 98 max...yea...u gotta slip it, the opening ( the hole ) as much as u can underneath the black that that is holding the needle and it'll just barely fit over it...i haven't any problems with my gauges...and i'm hoping i won't...if u got ne more problems...just ask
Old 03-12-2001, 06:29 AM

guages

My rpm needle gets stuck. I want know know whats up with that.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:43 AM

YOU Dont neeD to take out the needles. You gotta move the needle up to about say 40 mph and slide it carefully in. Then slide the gauges under neeth the black circle from one side, push down a little for it to slip under the black circle and then the gauges will need to be pulled from the other side. Its really easy to put on. After you slide it at an angle, it should slip right on. There should not be to much pressure applyed. About the RPM sticking... It may be that the gauges are buldging up or you may have bent it. You can take out the needles and reset it. Check out maximadrivers.com web page in the How 2 section where it shows how to take out your needles. BE VERY CAREFUL not to lose the tiny springs.
Old 03-12-2001, 12:04 PM

I recently installed my gauges, and my speedometer and my tach get stuck. The installation was not too bad, but I do not know how to prevent the buldging in the middle when i replace the cover for the gauges. I was thinking about putting the screws back in through the indiglos? is that a good idea? or is there a better way to get the buldge in the middle down? Please let me know if you have any suggestions...

Nam
Old 03-12-2001, 01:10 PM

you are suppose to take out those 2 little screws when you put the gauges on. After the gauges are on, then you screw it back on.. Doesn't the instructions say that? I was there when k indiglo installed in on a maxima! Actually Cheston installed it while a bunch of maximas guys(like 5) watched him install it. good luck!
Old 03-12-2001, 03:26 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have already taken the screws out. But when installing the gauges, the center buldges up and causes my gauges to stick. My question was, since the gauges buldge in the middle...could i reinsert the screws with my new indiglos? Or would it ruin the indiglos all together? Is there another solution to getting that buldge down? Please let me know...thanks!

Nam

Originally posted by nizmolee
you are suppose to take out those 2 little screws when you put the gauges on. After the gauges are on, then you screw it back on.. Doesn't the instructions say that? I was there when k indiglo installed in on a maxima! Actually Cheston installed it while a bunch of maximas guys(like 5) watched him install it. good luck!
Old 03-12-2001, 03:30 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

"sticking" needles is due to the rubbing of the bottom of the needle with the indiglo face.

solution? stretch the edges out and secure with double sided tape as suggested on MaximaDriver.com's how2 write up.

any help ?'s. please email me directly.
--Cheston
Old 03-12-2001, 05:25 PM

no!

If i was you i would not screw it thru the guages! I install mines this weekend and I got to say they are hot!
Old 03-12-2001, 07:37 PM

You are correct...the bottom of the needle does rub against the indiglo face. So you're saying to put the double sided tape on the very outsides of the gauges? I used the double sided tape, and the gauges were way too high. Please reply when you get the chance Cheston...thanks!

Nam

Originally posted by Chebosto
"sticking" needles is due to the rubbing of the bottom of the needle with the indiglo face.

solution? stretch the edges out and secure with double sided tape as suggested on MaximaDriver.com's how2 write up.

any help ?'s. please email me directly.
--Cheston
Old 03-13-2001, 12:43 AM

what double sided stick tape are you guys talking about? I didn't need any to install my indiglo gauges. And the factory screws that was holding down both the speedo and tach are reinstalled after laying the indiglo gauges but don't make it to tight cause it will damage it.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:17 AM

I am talking about the 3M double sided tape that Cheston used to install his gauges. So you put the factory screws back in? How did you make the holes in the gauges? Did you make a small hole with a knife? Please let me know. Thanks!

Nam

Originally posted by EZEMaxima
what double sided stick tape are you guys talking about? I didn't need any to install my indiglo gauges. And the factory screws that was holding down both the speedo and tach are reinstalled after laying the indiglo gauges but don't make it to tight cause it will damage it.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:35 AM

The 95-97 gauges don't have holes in them. The 98-99 gauges do. Don't make holes in the 95-97 gauges or else it'll just make the situation worse! Oh yeah, I noticed I'm missing a bar in my speedometer right after the 50mph mark. any one else missing the bar too? also the red bar is on the weong side in the gas gauge and the temp gauge.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:05 AM

Are your needles sticking? What did you use to attach the ingidlos to the current gauges? Please let me know.

Nam

Originally posted by I30CeFiRo
The 95-97 gauges don't have holes in them. The 98-99 gauges do. Don't make holes in the 95-97 gauges or else it'll just make the situation worse! Oh yeah, I noticed I'm missing a bar in my speedometer right after the 50mph mark. any one else missing the bar too? also the red bar is on the weong side in the gas gauge and the temp gauge.