General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th gen vs 5th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:23 PM

4th gen vs 5th gen?

I've heard a lot of ppl sayin the older one is supposedly better. Not knowing much (see: anything) about this, and since I've yet to buy a maxima, I'd like to hear some reasons as to why this might be true.
Don't shoot me btw if this is a "sensitive" topic
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by Am1n3
I've heard a lot of ppl sayin the older one is supposedly better. Not knowing much (see: anything) about this, and since I've yet to buy a maxima, I'd like to hear some reasons as to why this might be true.
Don't shoot me btw if this is a "sensitive" topic
"Better" may be the wrong word to use...both gens have their strengths; i got a 4th gen and i'm damn happy. 5th gen peeps are damn happy with theirs, i'm sure...both sides would say they wouldn't switch for nothing.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:57 PM

I own both. my gen 5 2002 is a better handling and driving car, but,...my gen 4 is better built, better quality in materails, and workmanship. Gen 4 seems more sturdy and solid as well.

I love em both, but I really am fond of Gen 3 and 4 most. but...gen five I wanted the 3.5 and 6-speed and lovin it too.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:07 PM

Hmm.. I've heard the argument about quality of materials in terms of the 6th vs 5th gen, and how some things on the 6th seem really really cheap. I lounged in a 6th gen for awhile, and while I didn't notice any particular cheap-ness about the interior, I definitely don't find it as attractive as the 5th gen interior, from a styling point of view. I've personally found the interiors of the 6th gen maxima as well as the G35 sedan & coupe to be pretty weak in comparison to their competitors. In the case of the G35 that can easily be overlooked as it rapes all its competitors in acceleration, handling, braking, etc... But I would've liked it if it had an interior even half as nice as the Acura TSX.

I guess cars don't always improve in every aspect as the models go up, the Celica is living proof of that. Myself, as well as everyone I know would take my 92 over a 2004 cellie any day
Old 02-17-2004, 05:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JettmiesterMax
I own both. my gen 5 2002 is a better handling and driving car, but,...my gen 4 is better built, better quality in materails, and workmanship. Gen 4 seems more sturdy and solid as well.

I love em both, but I really am fond of Gen 3 and 4 most. but...gen five I wanted the 3.5 and 6-speed and lovin it too.

You think the 5th gen handles better? I have a 2k and a 95, and the 95 has always seemed nimbler to me. Both gens have comparable, good quality materials and build, FAR better than the 6th gen.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by JettmiesterMax

Cool bu tthis is the first time that I have heard anyone say the 4th gens interior was better quality than the 5th, ihave heard the opposite quite a bit. Their is thread over at Fresh Alooy and most saying the 4th was the worst in terms of quality and material used v2 3rd-6th.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:06 AM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
You think the 5th gen handles better? I have a 2k and a 95, and the 95 has always seemed nimbler to me. Both gens have comparable, good quality materials and build, FAR better than the 6th gen.
i guess thats what happens when a japanese car company starts manufacturing in tennessee
Old 02-17-2004, 08:07 AM

The soft touch materials used in the 4th gen is the same as the ones used in the 3rd gen. Its the hard plastic materials is where the 4th gen doesn't meet the 3rd gen. The 4th gen's hard plastic isn't textured or grained like the 3rd gen is. The 5th gen has consistant graining on all its soft and hard touch materials. The 5th gen though, his more hard touch surface area than the 4th gen. Build quality on 4th and 5th gen still isn't as tight as that found in a 3rd gen but the 5th gen IMO is more tightly constructed than a 4th gen. On the road, the 5th gen feels the most solid and tight, especially compared to the 4th gen with its constant side-step of the rear axle (the 5th gen doesn't seem to have this problem unless the shocks are worn and need replacing) The 3rd gen lacks torsional rigidity, but then again, I'm comparing a 10 year old car to an almost new one
Old 02-17-2004, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Cool bu tthis is the first time that I have heard anyone say the 4th gens interior was better quality than the 5th, ihave heard the opposite quite a bit. Their is thread over at Fresh Alooy and most saying the 4th was the worst in terms of quality and material used v2 3rd-6th.
If they are saying 6th gen interior quality is better than 4th gen over there in freshalloy, I would like to have some of what they're smoking.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:22 AM

If they are saying 6th gen interior quality is better than 4th gen over there in freshalloy, I would like to have some of what they're smoking.

make sure you puff and pass to other members
Old 02-17-2004, 09:09 AM

I have a 2002 and a friend has a 2000. His 2000 does not seem to handle as well as mmy 95,but my 2002 seems better yet. Go figure.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:11 AM

the best maxima's made are in 97-99 and 02-03
Old 02-17-2004, 09:27 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i had a 3rd gen, 2 4th gens and now have a 5th gen (2000)

in comparison to 5th gens, 4th gens are like this..
-interior is a lot more crappier..
-more rattles
-more cheap materials
-worse support seats
-handle worse
-noisier..
-quicker off the line, but die on the highway..
-slightly better gas milage
-better visibility
-lighter

looks are purely subjective..

i think 2002-03 tops any 4th gen by far.. otherwise, 5th gens are more luxurious, comfortable and quality..
Old 02-17-2004, 09:48 AM

i would combine the drivetrain of the 5th gen (2k2 or 2k3) with the body of a 4th gen and would be very pleased. i drive a '95gxe and my dad has a 2k3se. i am not a big fan of the interior and the rear end in the 2k3, though i wish my car had the 3.5L

i would still trade my car for his but there is no way in hell i'd trade it for the 3.0L 5th gens w/o HID's.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:49 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ
The soft touch materials used in the 4th gen is the same as the ones used in the 3rd gen. Its the hard plastic materials is where the 4th gen doesn't meet the 3rd gen. The 4th gen's hard plastic isn't textured or grained like the 3rd gen is. The 5th gen has consistant graining on all its soft and hard touch materials. The 5th gen though, his more hard touch surface area than the 4th gen. Build quality on 4th and 5th gen still isn't as tight as that found in a 3rd gen but the 5th gen IMO is more tightly constructed than a 4th gen. On the road, the 5th gen feels the most solid and tight, especially compared to the 4th gen with its constant side-step of the rear axle (the 5th gen doesn't seem to have this problem unless the shocks are worn and need replacing) The 3rd gen lacks torsional rigidity, but then again, I'm comparing a 10 year old car to an almost new one

Now that I think about what you said...

I agree, 5th gens seem to use a lot more hard plastics in everything, it is definitely put together way more solid than a 4th gen but the quality of the plastics isn't that far superior, if much at all..

4th gens, for one.. have a terrible quality dashboard and door panels. The door panels are low quality vinyl, very easy to scuff, burn, puncture or tear. The window and door lock controls are all snapped in and pretty crappy.. the dashboard is also very easy to scratch or scuff.. my 4th gen got a ton of scuffs very quick from very light impact.. many of the various plastics all around the interior lack screws and bolts to hold them inplace, instead nissan made a lot of things "snap in"

I think that 3rd gens did use better quality materials than 4th gens. Everything was much, much better to the feel and less hollow, more solid..

5th gens put the car together much tighter, less gaps, less snap in plastics, much more solid dash and door panels (although still feel a little bit cheap.. but hey, at least they are solid and don't rip or scuff at the slightest impact)

5th gen leather is nicer quality. Bucket Seats are way more supportive, on the 00-01 models at least.. I couldn't take a long trip on my 4th gen without having to look for a more comfortable position in the seat every 40 minutes..

interior is also much more quiet. Less road and wind noise..

As far as the side-step thing.. i experience it just as much on my 5th gen as i did on the 4th i hope my struts aren't killed. (KYB AGX) but i am riding on those piece of sh-- Ground Controls which are terrible for handling, unless the road is [im]perfectly[/i] smooth.. in which case, the 5th gen holds the road much better on the freeway, probably has to do with the better top end and more quiet interior, and ofcourse the slightly bigger weight.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ

this is pretty much right on. great observations.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:36 AM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
4th gens, for one.. have a terrible quality dashboard and door panels. The door panels are low quality vinyl, very easy to scuff, burn, puncture or tear. The window and door lock controls are all snapped in and pretty crappy.. the dashboard is also very easy to scratch or scuff.. my 4th gen got a ton of scuffs very quick from very light impact.. many of the various plastics all around the interior lack screws and bolts to hold them inplace, instead nissan made a lot of things "snap in"
i agree on the dashboard, way too easy to scuff.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_read...ns/index.shtml