General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

3rd gear messed up...help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3rd gear messed up...help please

Hey, I noticed that my 3rd gear is being weird yesterday. When driving under 3k rpm it goes in smooth. Anything over it feels notchy? and grinds but it goes in fine. The grind I can feel though the stick and hear it in the car but its not really loud, like it can be heard from outside the car. I have 83k miles and the clutch is stock and Im not really sure about the tranny fluid. I bought the car about 3-4 months ago and was going to change to redline. Anyone know whats wrong? I hope its not the tranny...I just dont have the money for it Any info would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:24 PM

Well dont know what you want us to say if you got no money for it but need help.

Sounds like for sure either 3rd gear is toast or the syncro is having issues. Basically will require a new gear or syncro which will cost well over $1000 to rebuild. Be cheaper to put a used tranny in there for maybe $250-500.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2004, 03:19 PM

I went for another drive...going into third isnt really grinding. It just makes a thud noise and it feels notchy. Maybe it can be something else? Is there a way I can check the tranny fluid?
Old 02-28-2004, 03:28 PM

You can check the gear oil level by removing the 1" drain plug facing the front of the car. If you remove it, the level should be just about at the bottom of the drain hole.

Dixit
Old 03-06-2004, 02:08 PM

I didnt find out exactly what it is yet. I have some Redline MT-90 but im going to wait to do the tranny flush. I called my insurance and Im going to see if they will cover it. The problem started happening after the hit and run I had. It was hit at the drivers side door and fender...right where the tranny is. A friend of mine talked to someone and he told me a few things to tell if my tranny is going. It sounds like crap to me, but tell me what you guys think.

To check if the tranny is going, I start the car, put it in neutral and rev to 6k to build up heat for a min. or so (??!!!) then I let go of it and try to go in reverse. If its easy and smooth then its good. Second thing he said is if the tranny can go through all the gears when the car is turned off without touching the clutch.
Also, I dont know if this came from my friend or the other person but if I slam gears incorrectly the dog teeth on the gears can get messed up.

All of that sounds like crap to me.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 PM

Anyone.....?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:44 AM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by JeEvE
To check if the tranny is going, I start the car, put it in neutral and rev to 6k to build up heat for a min. or so (??!!!) then I let go of it and try to go in reverse. If its easy and smooth then its good. Second thing he said is if the tranny can go through all the gears when the car is turned off without touching the clutch.
Also, I dont know if this came from my friend or the other person but if I slam gears incorrectly the dog teeth on the gears can get messed up.

All of that sounds like crap to me.
I agree, all that sounds like crap.

But I'm no tranny guru so maybe someone else could offer a better suggestion.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:26 PM

Hey, today I went to the stealership to get the problems checked out. They told me that I probably just need a tranny flush. I told him that I have tranny fluid at home to do it and he said I would be better off with doing a flush. He said that there is 5 quarts and another 4 quarts in the torque converter. So doing the flush will remove all of it and clean the sludge out of the torque converter. Im not sure but doesnt an automatic transmission only have a torque converter?
Old 03-10-2004, 01:32 PM

Only autos have Torque Convertors, 5spds have nothing buy a flywheel and clutch and about 5qts of 75W-90 gear oil.

Dixit
Old 03-10-2004, 02:09 PM

If my synchro is bad, would I be able to hear the grinding from outside the car?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM

You only going to hear that when you got the car up on blocks and running through the gears.

Your best bet is to drop the 5spd and crack it open and find out, if you are not mechanically inclined to do so, then take it to the dealer or a shop. Its not going to be easy to diagnose this problem online.

Dixit
Old 03-20-2004, 09:57 PM

I changed the tranny fluid with Redline a few days ago and im still having the problem. It seems like it only does it when going into 3rd above 3500rpm. I tried double clutching and it still does it. Im still learning stick so Im not really sure if Im double clutching right. I clutch, take it out of 2nd into neutral, release clutch, clutch, rev match and then into 3rd. Is that right? If I rev match it and its above 3500rpm It still does it. Can the problem still be the syncro or will a tranny flush might fix it? Im not sure if the tranny has been flushed or even if the gear oil was changed.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:26 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

its most likely a synchro, since u just changed the tranny fluid with redline, a flush wouldnt do anything but rid ur trans of the redline that u spent good money on
Old 03-25-2004, 06:51 PM

I went to get an inspection done today and the shop checked out my tranny problems for me. They think its the synchos and the guy noticed that I cut my shifter and thought that might have been the problem. I cut 1.5 off about 2-3 months before and it shifted fine. Anyone have problems after cutting the stock shifter? Is there any way possible that the syncro got messed up from an accident? It was hit right at the driver side door and fender...right where the tranny is and the car went up on the curb sideways. Heres the thread about the accident...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=284371