General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

is this noise coming from my wheel bearings? cannot figure it out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 08:20 PM
no more maxima...

is this noise coming from my wheel bearings? cannot figure it out!

Hi All,
Since I purchased my car last May, it seems that everytime I do any spirited driving, or drive the car for a long while, that the left front wheel starts to squeak in tone that changes in pitch according to the speed of the car.

I know it is not the brakes because when I apply the brakes, the sound is still there.

I tried taking it to the dealership to have them find out what the problem is, and they insist there is no problem.

I am thinking it is the wheel bearing. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 09:28 PM

You may want to check the dust shield there. Bearing noises usually stop when under load (braking). But to check the bearings, raise that corner of the car. Grasp the wheel at the bottom and the top, and "push/pull" the opposite sides. There shouldn't be any play.

Do you hear an clicking when making low speed turns? If so, that could be your CV joint.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 03-04-2004, 06:18 PM

see if the noise changes when you turn side to side like a binding noise. My right bearing went under extended warrenty. It made slight banging or humming noises worse when I turned left, at a faster speed of course like say on the highway. Also you can grab the wheel and rock it in and out to see if there's play.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:54 AM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally Posted by young1976
see if the noise changes when you turn side to side like a binding noise. My right bearing went under extended warrenty. It made slight banging or humming noises worse when I turned left, at a faster speed of course like say on the highway. Also you can grab the wheel and rock it in and out to see if there's play.
Thats what mine was soing. I thought it was the CV axle at first. Didn't fix immediatly because the axle was under warranty. By the time I replaced the axle and realized it was the bearing I ended up having almost 1/2" of play in the wheel with the car on the ground. The wheel bearings are covered under the factory 60k mile powertrain. My car is sitting until I get the time to take it in.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
But to check the bearings, raise that corner of the car. Grasp the wheel at the bottom and the top, and "push/pull" the opposite sides. There shouldn't be any play.

Dave
This is good advice but your wheel bearing can be bad without there being any play in the wheel. I had absolutely no play in my wheel but my bearing was shot and made terrible noises until I replaced it.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:10 PM
no more maxima...

Ok thanks for the tips guys. But here is what I found:

1) There is no play in the wheel when I attempt to push/pull it when jacked up.

2) There is no clicking noise going around turns.

This noise only occurs after hard/long drives when heat has really built up...then the car squeaks really badly.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Hi All,
Since I purchased my car last May, it seems that everytime I do any spirited driving, or drive the car for a long while, that the left front wheel starts to squeak in tone that changes in pitch according to the speed of the car.

I know it is not the brakes because when I apply the brakes, the sound is still there.

I tried taking it to the dealership to have them find out what the problem is, and they insist there is no problem.

Thanks
I had same problem last year. " tech lubed l/f hub bearing grease seal, dry & noisy " . Cost me $40 at Fergus Nissan. You can do it if you like. Andrei D.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:04 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by ANDREI D
I had same problem last year. " tech lubed l/f hub bearing grease seal, dry & noisy " . Cost me $40 at Fergus Nissan. You can do it if you like. Andrei D.
Thanks for the tip! I wonder if my warrenty will cover this $40 job
Old 03-08-2004, 08:52 PM

Mine used to do this when I'd drive to KC to the racetrack. It's about a 2.5 hr drive and I'd always hear it when I was driving slow in the line to pay.
There's an inner and outer rubber seal to keep dirt out and they'd dried out and were squeaking to high heaven.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 PM

i changed mine, new wheel b., new hub, and labor to pull/press the bearring. The longer you ride on a bad/worn bearing, the chances of a fuked up hub increase.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chinaonnitrous1
i changed mine, new wheel b., new hub, and labor to pull/press the bearring. The longer you ride on a bad/worn bearing, the chances of a fuked up hub increase.
i have that clunking sound when making turns, it just got worse. im almost positive it's the rear wheel bearing. anyone know what it should cost me to replace those? thanks a lot
Old 03-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I occasionally get a very noticeable moan/hum coming from one of my wheels (not sure which one), and it only happens when either pulling into a parking spot while making a 90* turn, or while backing in at low speeds. Otherwise the car is quiet and there's no squeaking or humming while moving at speed.

It's been doing that once in a long while for about a year now. I've been waiting for it to start making noise all the time or at least consistently so that I can localize it and do something about it but it's being stubborn.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:19 PM
no more maxima...

Does anyone know if I can just swap a hub assembly with the wheel bearing, or does it take a lot more work than this? I found a max at the local junkyard and I am thinking about doing this. Motovate's writup on replacing the wheel bearing looks way too intense for me: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/704
Old 11-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Hi All,

Thanks

Im having a similar problem in my '97 w/ the same symptoms as above, except that instead of a squeaking noise my front end (feels like coming from wheel(s)?) makes a humming noise, and I can feel vibration in my steering wheel and brake/gas pedals.

-It doesnt stop when I brake.
-The brake pedal seems to harden when the noise starts up.
-The noise/vibration just goes away eventually while im driving.
- I dont get a clicking sound when taking corners.

I havent jacked it up to check for wheel play yet, but does anyone think this could be an ABS prob or something? I had the wheels balanced 3 months ago so i doubt its an unbalanced wheel.

Thanks for helping
Old 11-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

sounds like your wheel bearing need to be regreased.....
Old 11-10-2004, 06:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

If anyone needs a new genuine nissan wheel bearing set for one side of the front, PM or email me, I have one for sale.