General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cattman QLSD and something to consider.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 02:42 PM
RussMaxManiac

Something he did not mention and after talking to Loren if you get that you need to plan on this. The only way to add that in your transmission is it requires a Transmission rebuild and that costs another 1500~ bucks to get done. So don't expect oh 1500 for the part and it bolts on, hehe nope, u have to remove the gears, etc to install this unit. So I was planning on doing this and just getting a loaded SE now it looks more like a AE is better since I do plan on getting a SC and need ttraction!!

Old 03-15-2001, 02:47 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I'm a fair bit of an idiot

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
Something he did not mention and after talking to Loren if you get that you need to plan on this. The only way to add that in your transmission is it requires a Transmission rebuild and that costs another 1500~ bucks to get done. So don't expect oh 1500 for the part and it bolts on, hehe nope, u have to remove the gears, etc to install this unit. So I was planning on doing this and just getting a loaded SE now it looks more like a AE is better since I do plan on getting a SC and need ttraction!!
on LSDs, but isn't the Quaife one x-amount of times better than stock? What type is the stock?

Would it be worth the extra $1500 and NOT have LSD stock or the other way around?

Is the Quaife superior in the first place?
Old 03-15-2001, 02:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

Say again? I agree w/ you 100% that the transmission must be taken apart to install the LSD. I think most people know this. But how does that entail a rebuild? If you tranny is in good condition, why would it need replacement parts? Are they that cheap once the tranny is apart??

I have read an article in SCC where they installed a Quaife or similar LSD in an Integra 5-sp. They took the tranny apart, installed the lsd and assemblied the tranny back together. I hardly would call that a rebuild.

Now labor to do the swap will cost some money for sure. Unless you have grippa DIY skills!

Old 03-15-2001, 02:50 PM

I think the Quaife is a gear driven LSD, where the stock on is a viscious one(fluid/clutch type). So, the Quaife is better
Old 03-15-2001, 02:52 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: I'm a fair bit of an idiot

Well if you think about the difference between buying a used one and a new one, its not worth the extra money at all. LSD will do as good as QLSD in most conditions.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

on LSDs, but isn't the Quaife one x-amount of times better than stock? What type is the stock?

Would it be worth the extra $1500 and NOT have LSD stock or the other way around?

Is the Quaife superior in the first place?

Old 03-15-2001, 02:53 PM
RussMaxManiac

Well you have to disassemble the gears, etc to install the new parts, and basically that is just like a rebuild.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Say again? I agree w/ you 100% that the transmission must be taken apart to install the LSD. I think most people know this. But how does that entail a rebuild? If you tranny is in good condition, why would it need replacement parts? Are they that cheap once the tranny is apart??

I have read an article in SCC where they installed a Quaife or similar LSD in an Integra 5-sp. They took the tranny apart, installed the lsd and assemblied the tranny back together. I hardly would call that a rebuild.

Now labor to do the swap will cost some money for sure. Unless you have grippa DIY skills!

Old 03-15-2001, 02:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

No basicly it's not. Dissassembling and re-installing is just that. Rebuilding is taking the extra step to replace all the parts that are worn out. ie... I have taken my engine apart and re-assembled it but I did not REBUILD it. See the difference?

Now if someone actually knows if the parts for the tranny REBUILD are expensive or not, we could actually get something out of this thread.

Well you have to disassemble the gears, etc to install the new parts, and basically that is just like a rebuild.

Old 03-15-2001, 02:58 PM

Thats like saying you took out your battery to install your CAI, but you put it back. Then calling that a new battery. You're just taking it apart, sticking the LSD in, then putting the stock parts back in. Not a rebuild in any way.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:07 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

So, your contention

Well if you think about the difference between buying a used one and a new one, its not worth the extra money at all. LSD will do as good as QLSD in most conditions.

is that why buy a new one when you can buy a used one and just replace the guts of it, thereby offsetting the labor cost between buying a new one and re-building a used one?
Old 03-15-2001, 03:25 PM
My 4DSC

just do what i'm doing...

search for a wrecked A.E. & gank the trans...
most junkyards charge about $700 for newer used trannys...
and the install will be as simple as changing a clutch...
no need to open the tranny.

Old 03-15-2001, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Re: just do what i'm doing...

Check with CKNY ... we just had a totalled AE in CT last week or so.. Chris has the info on that car..

Originally posted by My 4DSC
search for a wrecked A.E. & gank the trans...
most junkyards charge about $700 for newer used trannys...
and the install will be as simple as changing a clutch...
no need to open the tranny.

Old 03-15-2001, 05:58 PM
Keven97SE

No you don't. The differential resides in a different part of the tranny case. You'll have to crack the case open in two, but the main bulk of shafts/gears reside in the other portion of the case. I'm not saying this is at all a simple operation, but it certainly doesn't entail a REBUILD.

Talkin out of your *** again, Russ. Tsk tsk tsk.

Although I see your point of the price not being worth it to many people, yourself included (and me), there are many guys with baaaad a'' Maximas that may feel it's worth it to them. Why do you feel it necessary to bring this up as a separate topic. Why should you even care? Since when have you been all that concerned with not wasting money?

Old 03-15-2001, 07:19 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i deem this post,
$20!
Old 03-15-2001, 07:50 PM
RussMaxManiac

Me and Loren were discussing it and I thought i would mention what he said.

Originally posted by Keven97SE
No you don't. The differential resides in a different part of the tranny case. You'll have to crack the case open in two, but the main bulk of shafts/gears reside in the other portion of the case. I'm not saying this is at all a simple operation, but it certainly doesn't entail a REBUILD.

Talkin out of your *** again, Russ. Tsk tsk tsk.

Although I see your point of the price not being worth it to many people, yourself included (and me), there are many guys with baaaad a'' Maximas that may feel it's worth it to them. Why do you feel it necessary to bring this up as a separate topic. Why should you even care? Since when have you been all that concerned with not wasting money?