General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

broken lug......

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2001, 01:37 PM

i tried using the search...and i kept getting threads about recent post that nothing to do with what i was looking for.
anyway..
im going to change my rear brakes this weekend. and i want to replace my stubs. how hard is it? the threads are gone and i cant screw on lugs anymore. so im basicly rolling around with only 4 lugs on.

any help???????????????????
what do i do?.....
Old 03-17-2001, 03:59 PM

Broken lugs

Originally posted by buss95max
i tried using the search...and i kept getting threads about recent post that nothing to do with what i was looking for.
anyway..
im going to change my rear brakes this weekend. and i want to replace my stubs. how hard is it? the threads are gone and i cant screw on lugs anymore. so im basicly rolling around with only 4 lugs on.

any help???????????????????
what do i do?.....
I forgot the exact directions.. but the lugs are cheap. Ive driven with 3 lugs on.. anyways, the general directions are you hammer the broken one out, and put the new one in from behind, and use a nut to pull it through, making sure its aligned. It's not really that hard, but putting the thing thru from behind was a part i had some problems with, cuz its not like it fits at every angle, and i was doing it at night. There was a thread on this before, but since it didn't come up in your search, im hoping someone else will give you more specific instructions.. but its really not that hard. if you have an hour of free time, the tools, and light.. you should be ok. (to figure it out without instructions)
Old 03-17-2001, 08:17 PM

so......

just hammer that baby out????

no need for the caliper to come off?..
just get crazy with the hammer?

and after that just put the new stub in from behind?

aw man..if its that simple..i feel like a retard*

*no offense to the retards
Old 03-17-2001, 08:54 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

juss wack it out with a hammer from behind. Sometimes the splash guard or other stuff might get in the way so you can bend it back for proper clearance. You can also grind off a side of the stud so that the angle isnt that much and it goes in much easier. its not too hard to do. good luck
Old 03-17-2001, 11:09 PM

hmmmm

thxs turbo and ogre

im going to get crazy with my hammer tomorrow...

one thing though...turbo u said to hit from behind..u sure?..shouldnt i hit it from the front? so it goes right through? and pops out the opposite side.

hitting it from the back i dont think will do much since the stub has a head.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:41 PM

Re: hmmmm

thxs turbo and ogre

im going to get crazy with my hammer tomorrow...

one thing though...turbo u said to hit from behind..u sure?..shouldnt i hit it from the front? so it goes right through? and pops out the opposite side.

hitting it from the back i dont think will do much since the stub has a head.
You hit it from the front.. i think he meant when you put it in.. cuz i forgot how i put it in.. its pretty firm.. if you have to hit it from behind, try to find the room to do so.. if u can get it thru, just use a regular nut to pull it thru .. dont forget to check that sucker a few days later.. the lug will eventually fully seat in.. but im not sure you can do that by hand.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:48 PM

cool......

thxs for clearing that up...

i went to a shop today..and they wanted to charge me 50 bucks to replace it......

HELL NAHHHHHHH

once again thxs turbo and orge...
saved me 50 bucks
Old 03-18-2001, 06:40 AM

cool......

thxs for clearing that up...

i went to a shop today..and they wanted to charge me 50 bucks to replace it......

HELL NAHHHHHHH

once again thxs turbo and orge...
saved me 50 bucks
I was watching NTB mount a new set of tires on my car when the mechanic noticed a stripped stud created by my [former] Nissan Dealer when they balanced/rotated my wheels. The NTB mechanic knocked out the stripped stud and put in a new one in less than 5 minutes. Most shops want to charge for at least 1/2 hour of labor for quick fixes like that, but $50 is a tad too high. $30 is more like it, unless you do it yourself... Good luck.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:34 PM
supertool

Someone stripped my nuts and studs

I am back in Sunnyvale. I see one of the lug nuts is sticking out too much. Anyways, I had my tires rotated and "Balanced" in L.A. this weekend. The idiots stripped one of the studs (front wheel). And I wouldn't say the wheels feel too balanced, or maybe that wasn't the cause of vibration anyways.
Haynes says you need to remove the brakes before getting the stud out? Is that correct? Or can you knock it out and replace without removing the brakes? Anyone who has done it, please weigh in.
Thanks.

Old 04-23-2001, 08:15 PM

Re: Someone stripped my nuts and studs

Originally posted by supertool
I am back in Sunnyvale. I see one of the lug nuts is sticking out too much. Anyways, I had my tires rotated and "Balanced" in L.A. this weekend. The idiots stripped one of the studs (front wheel). And I wouldn't say the wheels feel too balanced, or maybe that wasn't the cause of vibration anyways.
Haynes says you need to remove the brakes before getting the stud out? Is that correct? Or can you knock it out and replace without removing the brakes? Anyone who has done it, please weigh in.
Thanks.
Yep. I watched my mechanic remove the caliper during the repair process so he could knock out the stud from behind. Air tools really helped make this a fast fix... And the lift came in handy, too!