General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Odd noise when I get off the gas after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Lightly modded

Odd noise when I get off the gas after hard acceleration

Recently I've noticed that after I get off the gas (most often in 1st gear) and I've been on the gas pretty hard, I hear a noise that reminds me of bees in a can, or some ticking noise. I don't know if this is just my y pipe making noises, or something in my engine. It almost reminds me of the sound the injectors make if you're listening with the hood open. I can't say if this has been happening since I've bought the car, or if it started recently because it's such a minor kind of noise. What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:59 AM

I have the same sound (just installed the pipe yesterday).
Old 03-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Sin

If you only get the noise when the rpm's are high, with no load, and the noise goes away with load at high rpm's, you could have some worn bearings within the engine.

Do you rev your engine alot? Have you ever used nitrous? Has proper maintenance always been performed on the car within the prescribed intervals, taking into account of extreme conditions of cold starts, short trips especially in the cold, stop and go especially in hot conditions, etc?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:59 AM

I get ticking noises(Random) but I can only hear it when the cars idling or off... heh
Old 03-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Lightly modded

By revving the engine, do you mean when in gear, or in neutral? I rarely rev my engine very high if the car is in neutral, but I do beat on the car pretty good when driving. I've only put about 10K miles on the car since I've bought it, and I've put Amsoil in 3 times since then. I've never used nitrous- but I might want to in the future. I let the car warm up for 30-45 seconds when cold, and don't rev over 3000 until the car is warm.

Are there any tests to check the bearings? Are they expensive to replace? Will they mess anything else up if I don't fix them?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Sin

When bearings begin to wear out, you can hear them when there is no load on them. So if you rev your engine, listen as the rpms fall as you get off the gas. If you ONLY hear the noise as the rpms start to fall, I'd be weary of the bearings.

Since you run AMSOIL and change it pretty often, you should send a sample to blackstone. That should be the be all and end all to your diagnosis.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Sin
When bearings begin to wear out, you can hear them when there is no load on them. So if you rev your engine, listen as the rpms fall as you get off the gas. If you ONLY hear the noise as the rpms start to fall, I'd be weary of the bearings.

Since you run AMSOIL and change it pretty often, you should send a sample to blackstone. That should be the be all and end all to your diagnosis.
Yes, I only hear the noise after I let off the gas. Its timing remind me of a BOV, just a different kind of noise....kind of a buzzing noise. It doesn't seem to be going away, and it seems to be more noticable the higher I rev, then let off. I'm going to guess that replacing the bearings is pretty expensive. Any idea how much it would cost to get them replaced? I'm almost leaning towards just getting a used engine instaed of putting any more $ into this one.....ideas?

BTW, I don't *think* I hear the noise when the car is in neutral and I rev, only when I'm shifting between gears.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Sin

Again, before you do anything else, why don't you send your oil for analysis? It will tell you a great deal about what's going on in your engine. In Toronto, through the AMSOIL distribution centre, you can get it done for under $40 Canadian.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Lightly modded

I plan on doing that, but I just had new oil put in less than 500 miles ago....since Amsoil is expensive, I think I will do that at a later point when I change my oil again. Unless there is another way to get a good sample.
So Amsoil does their own oil analysis? I was planning on sending it to Blackstone or whatever the place is called. Do you think Amsoil can do a better job for some reason?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Sin

Then just wait for your next oil change.

As for AMSOIL, their service is almost identical to Blackstones in both what they measure and cost of service. It just so happens that if I drop it off at AMSOIL, they take care of shipping charges. With Blackstone, I would have to ship my oil sample from Canada into the US, which I don't plan on ever attempting with the current terrorism fears.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

If I am understanding you correctly, I have the same noise. It's not a bearing thing because it happens when the engine is under load. It's just if I let off the gas at 5K rpms' or higher. I think it's my Y-pipe.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Lightly modded

Mike: what kind of y pipe do you have? how old is it? i sure hope this is my y pipe and not my bearings. what other tests, besides the oil analysis, can i do to see if the bearings are going out, or if the y pipe (probably flex section) is dying?

btw, i have a WSP y pipe i got about 2 years ago.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Mike: what kind of y pipe do you have? how old is it? i sure hope this is my y pipe and not my bearings. what other tests, besides the oil analysis, can i do to see if the bearings are going out, or if the y pipe (probably flex section) is dying?

btw, i have a WSP y pipe i got about 2 years ago.
I've used Blackstone. Go to blackstone's website and request a free oil analysis container... they'll send you some small paperwork to fill out too. Catch the oil midway through its drain (don't fill the bottle the moment it starts to come out, but don't wait until it's almost done either) and put everything in the container, then it takes 4 USPS stamps to ship it out. The analysis costs $20. Very valuable if you have ANY suspicions about your engine.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

What kind of y-pipe do you have? There have been some issues with the flex sections of some of them. I think Stillen was the culprit for your model year, and maybe Cattman.

If you are really worried about the noise I would remove the y-pipe and inspect the flex section. The flex section will show a restriction, like it's caved in if there is a problem.

If there isn't a problem I would get an oil analysis done on your next oil change. Just make sure the oil is warm and you get a sample that is somewhere in the middle of the fluid runoff. Blackstone will give you a rundown of the analysis and if you have questions call them. I'm not sure what mineral you will see showing high for bearings, but they will know.

Hope this helps. Also check out the stickies on the maintenance forums for fluids. Bill has done a lot of work with oil analysis and has posted the breadth of information available in that forum.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Sin

If you suspect a y-pipe leak, definetly try and diagnos man. If possible, get the car on a lift with it running, then try to look for the leak. If you can't get it on a lift, just start the car, get down low, try to listen for any leaks, and try using an automotive stethoscope to locate it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Lightly modded

cool, thanks for all the tips guys. the car is going into the shop tomorrow for the exhaust cutout, so hopefully i can get a look at the flex section then.

exactly what should i be looking for in the flex section? since the cat will already be off, i will be able to get a good look inside.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Wild at Hurt

Hold on here guys with the oil
I would bet it is a heat shield on some exhaust part or the y pipe
Have a buddy do the reving and then nudge some parts with a broom handle
Old 04-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Lightly modded

Ok, I took it to the mechanic today. When I drove with him in the car I realized how difficult it can be to hear this noise. My mechanic thought it could have to do with the clutch and pressure plate doing something when I push the clutch in. He said if it is that, there isn't anything to worry about. For some reason I don't think it has to do with the clutch and PP....but who knows. I guess I'll be doing the oil analysis when I do my next oil change....
On a side note, I brought him my exhaust cutout and test pipe that he will weld the cutout into. From previous threads I've read, I thought the welding and stuff would take only 30 minutes, but he said it would take no less than 2 hours!!! Is he ripping me off, or would welding really take that long?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Ok, I took it to the mechanic today. When I drove with him in the car I realized how difficult it can be to hear this noise. My mechanic thought it could have to do with the clutch and pressure plate doing something when I push the clutch in. He said if it is that, there isn't anything to worry about. For some reason I don't think it has to do with the clutch and PP....but who knows. I guess I'll be doing the oil analysis when I do my next oil change....
On a side note, I brought him my exhaust cutout and test pipe that he will weld the cutout into. From previous threads I've read, I thought the welding and stuff would take only 30 minutes, but he said it would take no less than 2 hours!!! Is he ripping me off, or would welding really take that long?
Seems a bit long if you ask me.