General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Attn: those w/ JIC coilovers....How is the ride comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Attn: those w/ JIC coilovers....How is the ride comfort?

is it stiff or can you describe it?

I've searched & everyone just takes about adjustiblity between the A1 or A2....I know what each has & dont have.

But want to know from people who have them, how is the ride comfort?

thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
is it stiff or can you describe it?

I've searched & everyone just takes about adjustiblity between the A1 or A2....I know what each has & dont have.

But want to know from people who have them, how is the ride comfort?

thanks

i think they ride better when the weather is warmer, when its cold seems like the car is more bouncy and less controlled. Since their Gas charged, someone told me in warmer weather it expands and works better....humm
Old 03-22-2004, 05:43 AM
Administrator

comfort is great coming from Sprint Springs.. they feel like my cousin's Eibach's but the car is more slammed. i think my other cousin's maxspeeds are more harsh than the JIC's
Old 03-22-2004, 06:57 AM
UCF Lexus

Well, I dont have them...but when I rode with BigDogJonx, the ride seems harsher than my Sprints. Over speed bumps, it feels like bricks are the shocks/struts. But at high speeds, (I'm NOT driving) they seem to handle and feel great.

In my opinion, unless you just want to look AS LOW AS POSSIBLE, don't spend that much.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:46 AM

well i have h&r springs now and obviously the comfort is great almost near stock....

i dont want to get JIC then the ride comfort is stiff as hell & uncomfortable....i want to get them to be that slammed but dont want to jeopordize comfortablity.... now i'm confused on what to do

any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Banned

what do you mean by jeopordize? If you are trying to keep as close as possible to the H&R's then you should just stay with them.

I have no problem at all with my JIC's when it comes to ride comfort. As Matthel said they do seem to vary alittle depending on the weather, but nothing extreme.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 AM

Well KPAZZO6, you may want to rethink it then. Cause I went from a nice near stock ride quality to the JICs which are definetely a bit harsher than what I had before. But from friends who have been in my car, they tell me its no different than the Tien/KYB AGX setup. I got the JICs on the lowest setting and its a bit hard to me, but getting used to it.

If you looking for a nice cushy ride, that aint gonna happen with any coilover period.

Dixit
Old 03-22-2004, 08:47 AM

i dunno what you're all talking about, my jics ride closer to stock than any suspension set up i've ever had or ridden in. It's all about the dampening settings and how much preload and suspension travel you allow yourself. I have mine dropped conservatively.. I'd say 1.8 inches and the springs are barely preloaded. Properly adjusted and aligned, I bounce less over speed bumps than I did with my stock suspension. The thing I really like about this set up is it makes so much less NOISE than just springs and shocks. No rattles, no squeaks, creaks or other wierd noises. My only complaint would be it gets pretty bumpy on bad roads at low to moderate speeds. As you go faster it smooths out. Granted it's stiff, but only a bit more than a stock 350z. But all in all, I would recommend it to anyone who's considering a suspension upgrade.

Oh, and my car handles like a slot car.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:06 AM

Well I know when I took off the Maxspeed setup with stock struts and went to my JICs, the ride definetely got more harsh. So I have to disagree with some people when they say its softer than stock. I can feel alot more stuff on the road that I never felt before. No doubt its the best suspension made, but still rougher than my previous setup.

Dixit
Old 03-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Administrator

With JIC's you got to play around with the settings for a while before you get the right comfort level..

i been from the stiffest.. to the softest.. and it took me 2 months before i got the right comfort setting..

when i used calders setup it was too harsh and when i used Kev's setup it was too bouncy.. i guess it depends on your car.. your wheels and the weight in the car..

but i have mine setup now that they ride almost close to H&R's
Old 03-22-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Well I know when I took off the Maxspeed setup with stock struts and went to my JICs, the ride definetely got more harsh. So I have to disagree with some people when they say its softer than stock. I can feel alot more stuff on the road that I never felt before. No doubt its the best suspension made, but still rougher than my previous setup.

Dixit

I never said they were softer than stock??
Old 03-22-2004, 10:52 AM

My bad i meant near soft as stock as you stated.

Dixit
Old 03-22-2004, 12:04 PM

thanks fellas for info...*** it i'm gonna get them....but do you ALL have A1's?
b/c thats what i'm looking at getting.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:58 PM

Well dont think anyone here will have the A1s as they were just recently released and only made for the A33s. I know someone in the 5th gen forum just bought a set.

I got the A2s just like everyone else.

Dixit
Old 03-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Well dont think anyone here will have the A1s as they were just recently released and only made for the A33s. I know someone in the 5th gen forum just bought a set.

I got the A2s just like everyone else.

Dixit

damn...didnt know that....

thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 02:47 PM

Craig, MaxSE03 just bought and installed a set of A1's and is really happy with them.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:45 PM

i would hafta say, that it's not comfy at all. but i dont' mind that. it's hecka stiff
Old 03-22-2004, 04:20 PM

actually i think one of my friends has JIC on his rx-7....i'm gonna take it for a ride soon & see what i think...i'm sure it might be different then having JIC on a maxima....but at least i can have some sort of taste in-person....

(i'm sure theres no chicago maximas that have JIC that i can go check out )
Old 03-24-2004, 03:49 AM
Blu
the tits

Well KPAZZO6, you may want to rethink it then. Cause I went from a nice near stock ride quality to the JICs which are definetely a bit harsher than what I had before. But from friends who have been in my car, they tell me its no different than the Tien/KYB AGX setup. I got the JICs on the lowest setting and its a bit hard to me, but getting used to it.

If you looking for a nice cushy ride, that aint gonna happen with any coilover period.

Dixit
I agree 100%, JIC are the best suspension available IMO, paired along with squeeky big brakes
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 AM
Administrator

You Will Have To Adjust Your Jic And Tweak Them For Close To 1 Month Before Ou Can Get The Proper Ride Quality Close To Stock, They Are Coilovers, You Can't Slap Them On Put Them In The Middle And Think They Will Ride Good
Old 03-24-2004, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
You Will Have To Adjust Your Jic And Tweak Them For Close To 1 Month Before Ou Can Get The Proper Ride Quality Close To Stock, They Are Coilovers, You Can't Slap Them On Put Them In The Middle And Think They Will Ride Good

thanks....I wont forget that when I get them
Old 03-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
thanks....I wont forget that when I get them

whatever you do.. DO NOT adjust the top perch

------- <--- bolts up to strut body
spring
spring
spring
spring
spring
------- <-- top adjustment perch (DO NOT ADJUST THIS)
strut
strut
strut
strut
strut
---- <--- bottom adjustment
strut
strut

only adjust the ride height from the bottom one.. you will know when you get htem..

if you adjust the top ones.. you will be paying hell to the Coilover Noise Gods.. and every now and then it gets lose..

and when you tighten them.. do it tight.. or it wll come lose and it will adjust itself
Old 03-24-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
whatever you do.. DO NOT adjust the top perch

------- <--- bolts up to strut body
spring
spring
spring
spring
spring
------- <-- top adjustment perch (DO NOT ADJUST THIS)
strut
strut
strut
strut
strut
---- <--- bottom adjustment
strut
strut

only adjust the ride height from the bottom one.. you will know when you get htem..

if you adjust the top ones.. you will be paying hell to the Coilover Noise Gods.. and every now and then it gets lose..

and when you tighten them.. do it tight.. or it wll come lose and it will adjust itself
aight thanks for tip....when i get these i'll be shooting u an email if i have any more questions.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

For those that think it's too harsh, have you considered different spring rates or better yet, the progressive springs JIC offers?

I know one guy has tried a few softer spring sets, but nobody interested in ride "comfort" has tried the JIC progressive springs.

I want all the travel, but I'd gladly sacrifice some handling for better a better ride, so maybe some progressive springs would make sense?

I don't want to FINALLY install these and then have to rip them out to put softer springs in. Just wondering what you guys think about the progressive springs JIC supposedly sells now.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:32 PM

How much are these softer springs. I dont know what the current spring rates are.

Dixit
Old 03-24-2004, 12:38 PM

Not sure on price.

9K/6K is standard...you can drop to 8K/5K, but I think JIC doesn't recommend any softer. Supposedly, MaxTuner I think had all of these including some even softer ones made by Eibach.

He recommended the "progressive rate" ones, however I've only found them on the rears on other JIC setups.

Still looking.

How much are these softer springs. I dont know what the current spring rates are.

Dixit
Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Here's one link BigDog:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=JIC
Old 03-24-2004, 12:44 PM

Here's another:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=JIC
Old 03-24-2004, 01:35 PM

Very good info. But confusing, one says cant do it, MaxTuner has done it, but Matt says is not a good idea.

Dixit
Old 03-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
For those that think it's too harsh, have you considered different spring rates or better yet, the progressive springs JIC offers?

I know one guy has tried a few softer spring sets, but nobody interested in ride "comfort" has tried the JIC progressive springs.

I want all the travel, but I'd gladly sacrifice some handling for better a better ride, so maybe some progressive springs would make sense?

I don't want to FINALLY install these and then have to rip them out to put softer springs in. Just wondering what you guys think about the progressive springs JIC supposedly sells now.

now i'm gonna hafta research this some more before purchasing....too much info...getting confused....these 10hr/days at work are getting to me
Old 03-24-2004, 02:02 PM

I'm also thinking about getting JIC...but ride was VERY harsh with cut eibachs. You guys think I'll have a better ride with these?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:04 PM

I think you can't go any softer then 7.5K-8K on the fronts and 5K on the rears.

However, I'd really like to know more about the progressive rate springs, IF THEY EXIST. As far as I can tell, they are soft when you're hwy crusing/driving around town, but once you get aggressive they compress more and become stiffer.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM

yah, not many of us that have these really care about ride comfort. but i wouldn't get nething too soft because if you lower it too much, u'll run into problems. like if you hit a bump your springs will compress too much and your wheel would hit your wheel well or fender lining.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:53 PM

I don't intend on lowering it too much, but of course I'll probably change my tune.

I've always said 2" in-front and even in the back.

I'd gladly sacrifice handling for ride comfort, but NOT suspension travel...I mean at least no worse handling then stock. At least minus bodyroll, which should be reduced with a 2" drop.