General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

anyone have problems with there breaks or break pads???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 05:23 PM

I was having problems with my brakes. When I would go reverse and apply the breaks I would get this loud moaning noise. So I took it to get looked at and they said it was something that had to do witht rotors. So I got it fixed and they serviced the rotors and put premium break pads on. Well now, the noise is gone when I apply the breaks in reverse but now it squeaks real loud everytime I apply the breaks at all and it when i go real slow and apply the breaks you can hear a rubbing noise. It is really bad. I dont know what it is and cant figure out why its doing this cause I have brand new pads and the rotors where serviced. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it. I taking it in to get fixed again on Tuesday but could it be the break pads are cheap. The first time I had the mechanic fix it he put cheap break pads on and I told him I wanted premium so he said he put them on. The break pads are red too. Well if anyone can help me out I would really appriciate it.

Max99
Old 03-18-2001, 07:23 PM

break in the brakes...

possibly but i really dunno. my brakes have been squeekin too but only when im going under 10mph. im going to have to change my pads soon. with your premium brake pads, did you feel any difference? im just wondering if changing the pads only to performance pads will make a huge performance difference. anyone know?
Old 03-18-2001, 07:57 PM

I've never had quiet brakes...

they squeak under slight pressure when coming to a stop, and when backing out of the garage when cold they make a sound like a rubber squeegie on a window (really weird)...but I've had them checked at 3 different shops (including a Nissan dealer) and all of them say that they are fine (rotors look good...which they should since they were replaced the last brake change), and there's plenty of meat left on the pads. No hotspots, or hi/low spots. Just noise. Of course the Nissan dealer said that I wouldn't have these probs if I used genuine Nissan pads & rotors...maybe? I'm getting used to it, and the stereo is usually up loud enough not to notice.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:01 PM
The missing moderator

Make sure things are installed corrected. There are some clips on the brackets that could be knocked out of alignment. If the pads are new, it shouldn't be the wear indicator. I'd take it back and hav them take a look see.

-Shing
Old 03-18-2001, 08:03 PM
The missing moderator

Re: I've never had quiet brakes...

Originally posted by The_quorum
they squeak under slight pressure when coming to a stop, and when backing out of the garage when cold they make a sound like a rubber squeegie on a window (really weird)...but I've had them checked at 3 different shops (including a Nissan dealer) and all of them say that they are fine (rotors look good...which they should since they were replaced the last brake change), and there's plenty of meat left on the pads. No hotspots, or hi/low spots. Just noise. Of course the Nissan dealer said that I wouldn't have these probs if I used genuine Nissan pads & rotors...maybe? I'm getting used to it, and the stereo is usually up loud enough not to notice.
did you check the inside pads as well? My back was making some nasty noises when I backed up. I was only able to check the outside pad without taking off the wheel and thought things were ok. But when I got it off, turns out the inside pad was worn but not the outside. This is the rear driver side btw.

-Shing
Old 03-18-2001, 08:13 PM

Humm...I'm thinking now...

the squeegie noise is coming from the rear. I'll have to check the next time I can get the car up in the air and the wheels off. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:10 AM

My car was making an loud awful squeegie noise and the rear break pads where completely worn down. So you might want to check them if its makeing that noise. I just have the problem of the front now. The front was fine when I took it in and now there not. I wonder if Genuine nissan pads and rotors make a difference.Anyone know?

MAX99
Old 03-19-2001, 02:55 AM

Re: I've never had quiet brakes...

Originally posted by The_quorum

my brake sux, especially the rear ones! i had brand new pads on'em and they still making noise! i try the "squeaky brake solution" it was just wast of money, soi guess i am not the only one with the problem~~
Old 03-19-2001, 07:42 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

It's a defect in the

Originally posted by max99
I was having problems with my brakes. When I would go reverse and apply the breaks I would get this loud moaning noise. So I took it to get looked at and they said it was something that had to do witht rotors. So I got it fixed and they serviced the rotors and put premium break pads on. Well now, the noise is gone when I apply the breaks in reverse but now it squeaks real loud everytime I apply the breaks at all and it when i go real slow and apply the breaks you can hear a rubbing noise. It is really bad. I dont know what it is and cant figure out why its doing this cause I have brand new pads and the rotors where serviced. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it. I taking it in to get fixed again on Tuesday but could it be the break pads are cheap. The first time I had the mechanic fix it he put cheap break pads on and I told him I wanted premium so he said he put them on. The break pads are red too. Well if anyone can help me out I would really appriciate it.

Max99
calipers on the 99 models.....although I don't understand why it isn't mention UNTIL the 99 model year. Seems like the 95 to 98s would do this also.

99 Maxima TSBs

Service Bulletin Number: NTB99031
Bulletin Sequence Number: 500
Date of Bulletin: 9905
NHTSA Item Number: SB604997
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1999
Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
Summary: EXHIBITING REAR BRAKE GROAN / HUMMING NOISE AFTER RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL. *TT EXHIBITING REAR BRAKE GROAN / HUMMING NOISE AFTER RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL. *TT EXHIBITING REAR BRAKE GROAN / HUMMING NOISE AFTER RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL. *TT EXHIBITING REAR BRAKE GROAN / HUMMING NOISE AFTER RELEASING BRAKE PEDAL. *TT

The groaning I get on the 99 drives me crazy, especially in the rain or when damp.

I suspect defective, sticky calipers that aren't properly releasing the disc to move in certain ambient conditions.....