General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hot weather advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Hot weather advice

I live in New Jersey and I'm moving to Puerto Rico, weather is hot all year round and taking my 98 se 5spd with me, What kind of maintenance should I do to my car before subjecting it to the hot weather there. My car runs like **** here in Jersey when the weather is above 90. Colder running plugs? Coolant flush? Summer tires? Any recomendations from you guys in hot weather climates would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Administrator

you don't need to do anything...

problem in NJ and other northern states is because the humidity is so high the engine gets heat soaked...

Puerto Rico hardly has any humidity.. your car will be fine.

just keep to your regular maintenance
Old 04-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you use 5w-30 you might want to use 10w-30
Well Im not sure how hot is up there, but if its as hot as Arizona
Old 04-06-2004, 12:51 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by SprintMax

I can't imagine a Caribbean island lacking humidity.

Scroll down to Climate

Which city are you going to?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM

Puerto Rico hardly has any humidity..
Its just like Jamaica
Old 04-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CoolMax

I can't imagine a Caribbean island lacking humidity.

Scroll down to Climate

Which city are you going to?
hmmm

lets see... being that i have lived in the North East and i have lived in Jamaica.. i think i know the difference between the humdity in both climates..

where are you? Ohio? o.. thought so
Old 04-06-2004, 05:10 PM

just keep to your regular maintenance
I spent 3½ months in Puerto Rico and 3½ months in Jamaica on a deployment. I remember both places being humid. Especially if you are near the shore.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
I spent 3½ months in Puerto Rico and 3½ months in Jamaica on a deployment. I remember both places being humid. Especially if you are near the shore.

I know i can stand 98 degree weather in Jamaica.. but when i am in Connecticut when it gets hot.. i get dizzy and almost start passing out.. the humdity is so thick up here you can litterally claw through it.. its like a big heat blanket

humidity in the caribbean is usually 65 - 70 .. in New York and surronding states it gets up to 90 - 100 humdity
Old 04-06-2004, 05:25 PM

I know i can stand 98 degree weather in Jamaica.. but when i am in Connecticut when it gets hot.. i get dizzy and almost start passing out.. the humdity is so thick up here you can litterally claw through it.. its like a big heat blanket

humidity in the caribbean is usually 65 - 70 .. in New York and surronding states it gets up to 90 - 100 humdity
I know what you mean about high humidity. I have lived in several places like that. It's usually very humid here in NW Florida. The one thing that he may have a problem with is heat related battery problems. Heat is bad for batteries in tropical climates.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:11 AM
is invisible

hmmm

lets see... being that i have lived in the North East and i have lived in Jamaica.. i think i know the difference between the humdity in both climates..

where are you? Ohio? o.. thought so
Hold on...so now you know more than a meteorologist or a climate-related website. What are you using to measure humidity?

Actually it doesn't matter where I live/have lived...that's the beauty of the internet. It's not like I've never stepped out of this mobile home!

Welcome to Connecticut
Old 04-07-2004, 06:11 AM

I'm moving to the south a town called Coamo, it's hotter and more of a dessert climate. I'm close to the coast about 20 min drive. I used to own an 86 rx-7 when I used to live there and had to pull the thermostat to keep the car from running to hot. Those things produce a lot of heat. It seemed like I replaced my battery every year.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:12 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by RamboMax
I live in New Jersey and I'm moving to Puerto Rico, weather is hot all year round and taking my 98 se 5spd with me, What kind of maintenance should I do to my car before subjecting it to the hot weather there. My car runs like **** here in Jersey when the weather is above 90. Colder running plugs? Coolant flush? Summer tires? Any recomendations from you guys in hot weather climates would be greatly appreciated.

Just do what the Miami guys are doing.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Hold on...so now you know more than a meteorologist or a climate-related website. What are you using to measure humidity?

Actually it doesn't matter where I live/have lived...that's the beauty of the internet. It's not like I've never stepped out of this mobile home!

Welcome to Connecticut
dude you are acting like a civic owner with his newest copy of Motor Trend..

seriously now.. what are you going to go by? something you found on the internet? or actually LIVING in both climates..

notice i never said i visited? i lived in Jamaica for 16 years and i lived in Connecticut for 10 years.. so i think i have a pretty good idea of the humidity in both places
Old 04-07-2004, 06:55 AM
is invisible

dude you are acting like a civic owner with his newest copy of Motor Trend..

seriously now.. what are you going to go by? something you found on the internet? or actually LIVING in both climates..

notice i never said i visited? i lived in Jamaica for 16 years and i lived in Connecticut for 10 years.. so i think i have a pretty good idea of the humidity in both places
Fine, I'm never counting on the weather channel again!

C'mon, even a Civic can know something.

Perhaps you've gotten used to the relatively colder, dryer climate of Connecticut vs. Jamaica over these 10 years.
It's all relative...when you're used to cold, dry weather during most of the year and then have to deal with few summer months of high temperature and humidity, of course it's going to seem worse than the relatively constant temprature/humidity of Jamaica. Unless you have numbers to prove it...how you felt about the humidity doesn't mean jack.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Fine, I'm never counting on the weather channel again!
yeah i have never watched the weather channel and it said snow but for some reason it doesn't snow.. weather channel is never wrong

C'mon, even a Civic can know something.

Perhaps you've gotten used to the relatively colder, dryer climate of Connecticut vs. Jamaica over these 10 years.
It's all relative...when you're used to cold, dry weather during most of the year and then have to deal with few summer months of high temperature and humidity, of course it's going to seem worse than the relatively constant temprature/humidity of Jamaica. Unless you have numbers to prove it...how you felt about the humidity doesn't mean jack.
not so sir.

I have been back to Jamaica every year and i am still in touch with the climate.

plus.. i think i know the difference when i lived in a country for 16 years and never had a heat stroke or passing out incident its pretty hard to miss when days upon days you are passing out because of the intense heat..

let me clear something up for you.. the reason jamaica's heat is tolerable is because of the ocean breeze that is constantly blowing.. and no matter how hot it is .. you are still cool. Thats mainly why FL is like that also.

You don't get Ocean Breeze in mid Connecticut
Old 04-07-2004, 07:38 AM
is invisible

yeah i have never watched the weather channel and it said snow but for some reason it doesn't snow.. weather channel is never wrong
Ok, weather channel can't be 100% correct predicting weather, but any weather almanac can give a accurate rate record of past climate conditions.

Ok, Civic owner.

not so sir.

I have been back to Jamaica every year and i am still in touch with the climate.

plus.. i think i know the difference when i lived in a country for 16 years and never had a heat stroke or passing out incident its pretty hard to miss when days upon days you are passing out because of the intense heat..

let me clear something up for you.. the reason jamaica's heat is tolerable is because of the ocean breeze that is constantly blowing.. and no matter how hot it is .. you are still cool. Thats mainly why FL is like that also.

You don't get Ocean Breeze in mid Connecticut
That's true, but is this:

Puerto Rico hardly has any humidity..
Man, I really miss OT...I should probably donate.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:52 AM
Administrator

I give up.. you win .. god damn nerds.. the internet just made them even more invincible
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 AM
is invisible

I give up.. you win .. god damn nerds.. the internet just made them even more invincible

First, I'd like to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet....