General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

a major gas leak out of nowhere!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Sports Button FTW

a major gas leak out of nowhere!!!

for past couple of days, basically a week, i have been driving car constantly with half a tank and under of gas in it. I finally fill up the tank today (15.5 gallons to be exact) with about a quarter tank in car and minutes later there's a big puddle of fuel under my car near the rear wheel driver side, and its leaking pretty fast. I quickly drive back home and check the needle of the gas meter which is still high above the F as if i didnt leak anything. I proceed to jack car up when i get home and the leak starts to come heavily on the other side of the car, same spot but other side and dripping off the b-pipe. I checked leak and from where i seen, it seemed to be coming from gasket area on the wheel well where it seems to bolt up to something else in the car. I dont know why this is happening.

I drive to nearby mechanic and they act like h0m0's, talking about they dont want to keep car here cause of leak. So i drive back home to check on org for help and before doing so, i see that at the gas station, the leak reduced a lot and when i got home, it wasnt leaking anymore. Well it could still be leaking. I'm going to check again but why would this happen out of nowhere?! Last thing i did was change my brakes/rotors yesterday. I never hit anything that could have dented my tank. I'm wondering if this is happening car the car is holding more fuel than it can handle? but thats impossible because the guy would have stopped if it was too much and it would have over flowed out the hole. and this never happened before. I had a warlboro fuel pump installed a few weeks back and i think i filled gas tank after that with no issues so i dont see why bs happens now. Just my friggin luck. All help is appreciated.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 AM

Last summer, before my friend dave crashed his 3rd gen ( ) he also had a fuel leak after filling up. He lost about a gallon or two of gas before it stopped.

I believe it was an old gasket (he told me) somewhere and the pressure from filling must have broken or ripped the gasket.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Sports Button FTW

ok, 5 minutes later, i check in front of my house expecting to see a big patch of fluid on the ground. But fortunately, not a single drop has touched the floor since i last entered the car. I'm really hoping this happened because i put more fuel in the car than it could handle (the guy pumping gas did). I still call BS on such a stupid yet serious problem to have. My gas meter is still all the way up so maybe car just had too much gas in it?

Earlier today i put 5 dollars of gas in (175 a 9/10 gallon) and drove maybe 15 miles? and before that i had a little, maybe enough to go 10 miles before cutting off on me? what do u guys think?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Last summer, before my friend dave crashed his 3rd gen ( ) he also had a fuel leak after filling up. He lost about a gallon or two of gas before it stopped.

I believe it was an old gasket (he told me) somewhere and the pressure from filling must have broken or ripped the gasket.
from the way the gas tank looks, it seems to resemble the same install as the lower oil pan. Looks to have liquid gasket put on the top surface and its bolted onto the rest of the car somehow. How could u have an old gasket? maybe the liquid gasket is dieing? ATleast i have time, i'm going to go to nissan and see if i can get that free 100 point inspection going on.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:22 AM
DoGGy

you car is on a period. lol jk

leakin gas is very dangerous, be carefull. i suggest you stay home and call a mechanic to come and see wtf is up !!

Old 04-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Getting back to his roots

Not sure if you have one on your 4th gen, but my 3rd gen had the exact same problem and it was the evaporative hose (runs from the top of the fuel tank to the filler tube). It only has fuel in it when the tank is full, and mine had a hole in it and would leak whenever I filled the tank. After a few gallons were burned, it wouldn't leak anymore. I bought a new tube from the dealer, replaced the cracked one and the problem went away. Something to think about.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:03 PM

I had an old Honda Accord that had the gas tank filler pipe over the wheel well, the salt and water from the road ate away at the pipe. When ever I would fill up there would be a puddle of gas on the ground. Luckly there was a recall on it and I didn't have to pay to get it fixed. You might have loosened the filler pipe, I would go to the stealership, it shouldn't be that much to get it fixed.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Sports Button FTW

thanks for all the feedback guys. I swear i love maxima.org.

I get a free 100 point inspection this friday. Tomorrow if i have time i'll go to local shop and have them jack car up and try to see where the problem is. If they cant find it i'll wait till i go to stealership. I dont want to jack car up again, atleast not now cause its just gonna spill gas on the other side of the car. Thank goodness the leak stopped though.

BTW, i havent changed anything recently that has to do with fuel or piping in that area. You think i could have hit a big bump or osmething which cracked a pipe? that sounds reasonable but i dont recall hittin anything serious...
Old 04-19-2004, 05:48 PM

Okay, word of advice on a few things. ONE, NEVER EVER EVER OVERFILL THE TANK, that's why a pump stop when it's full. Why do you think the pump at the station have springs on it. It can tell when it's full. Secondly, when you over fill the tank, you can potentionally cause a fuel line rupture due to pressure of the overfilled gas tank. Thirdly, if you have a leak, I suggest you have it check out soon as possible otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen, that if a fuel is leaking and it drip on a hot exhaust, then your car will catch on fire. That's what exactly happened to my sweet's Benz. I was there and it wasn't pretty sight when it caught on fire. Here's the post of the car that caught on fire due to fuel line rupture, that he overfilled his gas tank.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Okay, word of advice on a few things. ONE, NEVER EVER EVER OVERFILL THE TANK, that's why a pump stop when it's full. Why do you think the pump at the station have springs on it. It can tell when it's full. Secondly, when you over fill the tank, you can potentionally cause a fuel line rupture due to pressure of the overfilled gas tank. Thirdly, if you have a leak, I suggest you have it check out soon as possible otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen, that if a fuel is leaking and it drip on a hot exhaust, then your car will catch on fire. That's what exactly happened to my sweet's Benz. I was there and it wasn't pretty sight when it caught on fire. Here's the post of the car that caught on fire due to fuel line rupture, that he overfilled his gas tank.
thanks for the warning Fanatic. I live in nj. We're not allowed to pump our own gas. Everytime i get gas filled the thing stops and then the attendant pumps a little more. But this always happens, since my first maxima. Luckily my car isnt leaking fuel anymore but while i was jacking car up, there was a lot of fuel dripping off my b-pipe. I guess i'm fortunate that the heat didnt cause a fire, especially on a hot a$$ day like today....
Old 04-19-2004, 05:59 PM

How do i post a pic, or upload it. I couldn't figure out how to do that. I was going to post the picture of the aftermath of the fire on the MB SL320
Old 04-19-2004, 09:02 PM

mecconable, sorri to hear about your car....question i thought the free 100 point inspection at nissan dealer ended on the 17th? because when i call one of then local dealer here in south jersey they told that was the last day....is this true?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
thanks for the warning Fanatic. I live in nj. We're not allowed to pump our own gas. Everytime i get gas filled the thing stops and then the attendant pumps a little more. But this always happens, since my first maxima. Luckily my car isnt leaking fuel anymore but while i was jacking car up, there was a lot of fuel dripping off my b-pipe. I guess i'm fortunate that the heat didnt cause a fire, especially on a hot a$$ day like today....
Keep in mind, gasoline does evaporate at typical room temperatures...
Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
.... I had a warlboro fuel pump installed a few weeks back and i think i filled gas tank after that with no issues so i dont see why bs happens now. Just my friggin luck. All help is appreciated.

Could be the fuel pump access cover on top of the fuel tank is leaking. There is a rubber gasket there that seals the cover. It might have gotten damaged or improperly set in place when the cover was put back on after installing the Walbro. It would only leak if the tank was over-filled. It's an easy matter to remove the back seat, unbolt the access cover and check the gasket.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel leaks when filling tank 99 Maxima

Here's another version why it can happen....age of the plastic sender unit....this is my daughters car. removed rear seat cushion and opened sending unit cover and proceeded to fill tank full. Fuel 1st began to fill around the void around the electrical connectors and then continued from there. You can see the obvious cracks around the hose connection also....
Thinking of replacing fuel pump and all since I'm there...any ideas on best place to purchase the components???

http://forums.maxima.org/attachment....1&d=1375626147
Attached Thumbnails a major gas leak out of nowhere!!!-imag0248.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 AM
SuPeRmOd

So you're a member for over a year, and your 1st post is to dig up a 9 year old thread???
Good job searching! But you could have started your own thread.
I was very confused when I saw gas mentioned at $1.75
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by kev1432
Here's another version why it can happen....age of the plastic sender unit....this is my daughters car. removed rear seat cushion and opened sending unit cover and proceeded to fill tank full. Fuel 1st began to fill around the void around the electrical connectors and then continued from there. You can see the obvious cracks around the hose connection also....
Thinking of replacing fuel pump and all since I'm there...any ideas on best place to purchase the components???
Did you find this thread when you searched?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ding-unit.html

I don't believe in replacing things that aren't broken. The fuel pump is a reliable, low failure item.

Last edited by DennisMik; 08-07-2013 at 08:18 AM.