General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Battery Cutting Out (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 PM

Battery Cutting Out (revisited)

I posted a few weeks ago about my battery occasionally cutting out, as seen by an inability to start the car, and my odometer and redio resetting.

I checked the battery at AutoZone, and it is fine.

The neg. terminal was loose, so I tightened it. I assumed the problem was fixed.

This weekend, after a long trip to Boston, I am parked for 5 min, and then my car won't turn over. I pop the hood, check the neg. terminal to see if it has loosened, and hear a soft, electrical "pop". The car then turns over.

When I arrive back in NYC, three days later, the odometer and radio reset again, this time the car did turn over the first time and there was no need to pop the hood.

Any ideas?

-Brian
Old 04-20-2004, 11:44 PM
† ErV †

change your connectors and sand the battery ports (terminals) to remove all grime.

additionally, your battery could be having a cell short. but terminals are cheap... so do that first.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
change your connectors and sand the battery ports (terminals) to remove all grime.

additionally, your battery could be having a cell short. but terminals are cheap... so do that first.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:30 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by BJGemini
I posted a few weeks ago about my battery occasionally cutting out, as seen by an inability to start the car, and my odometer and redio resetting. I checked the battery at AutoZone, and it is fine. The neg. terminal was loose, so I tightened it. I assumed the problem was fixed. This weekend, after a long trip to Boston, I am parked for 5 min, and then my car won't turn over. I pop the hood, check the neg. terminal to see if it has loosened, and hear a soft, electrical "pop". The car then turns over. When I arrive back in NYC, three days later, the odometer and radio reset again, this time the car did turn over the first time and there was no need to pop the hood. Any ideas? -Brian
Sounds like you have already diagnose your problem. As stated you really need to invest in proper battery cable ends. You can't diagnose any electrical problems if you got ****ty/loose cable ends. Starting there probably will eliminate this problem revisited for a 3rd time.

MIKE