General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Video of a 12.9 sec domestic vs Jime

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DSMJim
Buddy were all here laughing at you because your saying he's running NOS. Well he is running NX not NOS. He is running Nitrous but that is not what your saying.

That is why people are responding like that are. Calling nitrous NOS is something that people who don't know what they are talking about do which is why your getting the responses you are. It's mostly in fun..

Oh and the Maxima in that video ran 12.37 not 12.6 you may want to get a thicker prescription.
NOS= nitrous oxide system
UMMM. OK sorry. By the way are you a leafs fan by any chance? Im just trying to figure why your so hostile. Either you know im right and ur times are ina bottle or your a leafs fan...thats my only thought.

Why is the video file called jim126. the video is compressed and is hard to see it clearly.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Aww man... this was getting funnier each post. Why'd you clue him in?

Oh wait.... he still has no clue. I shall carry on.

sorry i didnt use the .org click term.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:34 PM

guys sorry i didnt know the brand of nitrous jime uses.

im guessing if thats ur only comback to what i said......you dont really have anything to comeback with.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:46 PM

Who cares if the car is on nitrous and it eventually runs out? When you goto the track you make 10-15passes tops. He has enough nitrous to make all those runs with nitrous so the nitrous does not run out. The car is not raced or even driven hard on the street so repeating that performance is not only ilegal but undesired so that is not a valid arguement.

V8 guys say that turbo's are cheating, as well that we use them to emulate a larger motor (which is true, how else can you make 500hp on a 4 or 6 cylinder?) but we don't consider it to be because in the end the motor makes the power. Nitrous is exactly the same and in no way different, it makes the power the car does the time, period end of story.

If you say it's not there all the time, then you have obviously never owned a turbo car because you can not hit a turbo car all the time either or it will blow up. EGT become a real problem in a turbo car so it limits the amount of time and how oftin you can really hit it. If money is not a problem and you have enough bottles then nitrous is there just as much as turbo is. I have had both, and a few of each so I can speak from personal experience, which you can not.

Not only do you not have a turbo car, you don't have a nitrous car never mind a time slip anywhere remotely close to 12.1. This in and of its self makes your opinion pretty well worthless. Thats sort of like having a 4 year old tell you that your car isn't cool.

Fact: The car does 12.1 when ever Jime wants it to.
Fact: The time is repeatable over and over
Fact: It will do it as many times as he wants it to becase he has enough nitrous

"I hope i made my point clear enough without being harsh."

I don't know how you can even compare a boosted car to a nitrous car, since they vastly differ. Nitrous eventually runs out, that's a fact. A boosted car is on all the time, except if there is a mechanical failure. Anyone with limited mechanical abilites can put a NOS/NX kit in a wide variety of cars. BTW, I prefer a built N/A engine over both because of better driveability.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Z driver

Originally Posted by VQvroom
UMMM. OK sorry. By the way are you a leafs fan by any chance? Im just trying to figure why your so hostile. Either you know im right and ur times are ina bottle or your a leafs fan...thats my only thought.

Why is the video file called jim126. the video is compressed and is hard to see it clearly.
No the video is called kill.wmv but thanks. The video you are watching is in Jime's sig and not even the video were talking about. Would you please go back and re-read this entire thread because your obviously not a very good at understanding what your reading.

NOS is not a click term it is the name of a BRAND. Do we all drive Nissans? WHen ever you see any car at all do you say there is a Nissan? Oh look at that nice hatch back nissan, or nice 18 wheeler nissan. No obviously not. Don't call it NOS..

NOS does not equal Nitrous Oxide System, it's "Nitrous Oxide Systems", the name of a company owned by Holley. You can not use it as a blanket term for every nitrous kit out there. Thats just plain stupid.

Your pethetic endeavor at making me mad with stupid Leafs jokes is a retarded last attempt at being somewhat whitty, which you are not. However it is amusing to watch you act like an idiot infront of everybody so carry on.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2000JP
I don't know how you can even compare a boosted car to a nitrous car, since they vastly differ. Nitrous eventually runs out, that's a fact. A boosted car is on all the time, except if there is a mechanical failure. Anyone with limited mechanical abilites can put a NOS/NX kit in a wide variety of cars. BTW, I prefer a built N/A engine over both because of better driveability.
i thought the whole point was to get the car to the other side as fast as possible regardless. i think nitrous is one of the deadliest form of hp you can buy in regards to stealth, catch em sleeping and its over. im running nitrous and s/c and still haven't hit 12 secs because its more than just the hp its the driver. and jime how anybody can even start an argument after the a$$ whuppin you lay'd on that firebird is absurd. it makes me happy to know what my max is capable of when its hooked up right i give you four thumbs up.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Z driver

A turbocharged car forces air into the engine, so does nitrous. They operate in much the same way and achieve the same goal just using different parts. They are in fact much the same in operation and end result.

Nitrous does eventually run out that is true but if you have two bottles and use nitrous only when you want to go fast then nitrous may never run out technically because you always have a full bottle ready to go. A boosted car is not on all the time you must hit the gas to go, just the same as nitrous. If you only use the power once in a while, nitrous could in fact be there as often for you as a turbocharger is.

Anybody with limited mechanical abilities can put a turbo system on a car as well, however turbo systems are specific to a car, not generic like nitrous, and do not require any electrical work at all. They also require no real knowledge on how to operate as you just drive the car the same as before were nitrous you need to know a few things first.

A built N/A engine has FAR FAR worse drivability than a turbo charged engine. You obviously have never driven a car with a built N/A motor. First off you need sky high compression 13+ :1 which requires race gas all the time. You need very high lift long duration cams. Many times over .45 lift and well past 300 deg of duration. Cams like this have a lot of over lap, a very lumpy idle and cause a lot of vibration in the engine at low rpm so a higher rpm like 1200 is generally maintained to even keep the car running. Overlap is so long that the engine only runs well at wot above 6000rpm. They are horribly bad on gas and notorious for leak down problems in the head requiring frequent rebuilds and having the valve seats redone and guides replaced. I don't know how you could possibly say this is better than a turbocharged engine. Unless your referring to a STOCK motor with bolts on (intake header exhaust pulleys etc etc) which is the farthest thing from a built N/A motor.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:24 PM

No the video is called kill.wmv but thanks. The video you are watching is in Jime's sig and not even the video were talking about. Would you please go back and re-read this entire thread because your obviously not a very good at understanding what your reading.

NOS is not a click term it is the name of a BRAND. Do we all drive Nissans? WHen ever you see any car at all do you say there is a Nissan? Oh look at that nice hatch back nissan, or nice 18 wheeler nissan. No obviously not. Don't call it NOS..

NOS does not equal Nitrous Oxide System, it's "Nitrous Oxide Systems", the name of a company owned by Holly. You can not use it as a blanket term for every nitrous kit out there. Thats just plain stupid.

Your pethetic endeavor at making me mad with stupid Leafs jokes is a retarded last attempt at being somewhat whitty, which you are not. However it is amusing to watch you act like an idiot infront of everybody so carry on.

yah my bad, im looking at the file in his sig.
you can talk all you want. ill be witty yah sure. least im not all defensive. IM not tryiing to make you mad. ive dont even think i started with you to begin with, i didnt really mean to start with anyone or make this a personal attack. I just wanted to see if the other car that was "killed" was running nitrous. Im sorry that Jime uses a bottle of nitrous to get low time and beat this 12.9 sec domestic. but thats a fact and thats why ur ****ed. Im sorry for whatever i said to make you angry.

I also understand that the maxima is running nitrous and wouldnt have won without it. You must have a hard time understanding that. All bottle no throttle.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You are wrong again. NOS is a company that sells nitrous oxide systems.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:28 PM

A turbocharged car forces air into the engine, so does nitrous. They operate in much the same way and achieve the same goal just using different parts. They are in fact much the same in operation and end result.

Nitrous does eventually run out that is true but if you have two bottles and use nitrous only when you want to go fast then nitrous may never run out technically because you always have a full bottle ready to go. A boosted car is not on all the time you must hit the gas to go, just the same as nitrous. If you only use the power once in a while, nitrous could in fact be there as often for you as a turbocharger is.

Anybody with limited mechanical abilities can put a turbo system on a car as well, however turbo systems are specific to a car, not generic like nitrous, and do not require any electrical work at all. They also require no real knowledge on how to operate as you just drive the car the same as before were nitrous you need to know a few things first.

A built N/A engine has FAR FAR worse drivability than a turbo charged engine. You obviously have never driven a car with a built N/A motor. First off you need sky high compression 13+ :1 which requires race gas all the time. You need very high lift long duration cams. Many times over .45 lift and well past 300 deg of duration. Cams like this have a lot of over lap, a very lumpy idle and cause a lot of vibration in the engine at low rpm so a higher rpm like 1200 is generally maintained to even keep the car running. Overlap is so long that the engine only runs well at wot above 6000rpm. They are horribly bad on gas and notorious for leak down problems in the head requiring frequent rebuilds and having the valve seats redone and guides replaced. I don't know how you could possibly say this is better than a turbocharged engine. Unless your referring to a STOCK motor with bolts on (intake header exhaust pulleys etc etc) which is the farthest thing from a built N/A motor.

Nitrous forces air into the engine huh?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
You are wrong again. NOS is a company that sells nitrous oxide systems.

wrong? no i dont think so. I was not refering to the BRAND name.

for example:
does ABS only mean anti-lock brake system?

Ill call it whatever i want to call it. It was very obvious you all know what i meant and didnt have much to fireback with.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:52 PM

A car doesn't move if you don't hit the gas, come on. Now you are looking for little things to argue about. Floor the car on a F/I car and it goes, you don't have to worry about the system being armed or the bottle being open.

I would bet that the majority of car enthusiasts couldn't install and properly tune a Turbo system. Turbo kits dont require any electrical work?? Are you telling me you run with a boost guage, EGT, etc in your DSM? A nitrous kit is basically universal, on the other hand, and is fairly simple to install/tune.

As for N/A cars, let me use the LS1 for example. A head and cam LS1 will be make great power and be highly streetable, with a good tune via LS1edit, for example. A improper setup in any car with be unreliable. My friend has twin merlin 572's in his boat making in excess of 750+ hp. The engines require no maintenence besides regular oil changes. It runs on 93 octane pump gas. Just did a leakdown test last spring after 4 seasons of running, and it showed less than normal wear. BTW, boat motors run under more extreme conditions than their automotive counterparts. Like everything in life, if you cut corners you will eventually run into problems in the long run.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OK,OK
I told myself that I was not going to bite-off into the ignorance of this thread and reply, but I just had to when I saw this comment.

I also understand that the maxima is running nitrous and wouldnt have won without it. You must have a hard time understanding that. All bottle no throttle.
" yeah, you wouldn't have won the race if you only had 5 running cylinders and three wheels"

or perhaps...

" you would not have won if your car was slower than mine"

" that's not fair, your a V8 and i'm v6"

Question: Does the opponent not have access and ability to inject nitrous into his car just like Jim?

Answer: YES

You act like the horsepower fairy blessed Jim with power that NO ONE else has access to. The opponent has the right to do the same. He just chose not to.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:56 PM

And no one said the LS didnt have nitrous.....Great times JIME.I dont see what the big deal is about these arguements, A 4door auto V6 up against a v8 powerhouse, It is all worth it to see the faces on those guys
Old 04-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Z driver

A car doesn't move if you don't hit the gas, come on. Now you are looking for little things to argue about. Floor the car on a F/I car and it goes, you don't have to worry about the system being armed or the bottle being open.

I would bet that the majority of car enthusiasts couldn't install and properly tune a Turbo system. Turbo kits dont require any electrical work?? Are you telling me you run with a boost guage, EGT, etc in your DSM? A nitrous kit is basically universal, on the other hand, and is fairly simple to install/tune.

As for N/A cars, let me use the LS1 for example. A head and cam LS1 will be make great power and be highly streetable, with a good tune via LS1edit, for example. A improper setup in any car with be unreliable. My friend has twin merlin 572's in his boat making in excess of 750+ hp. The engines require no maintenence besides regular oil changes. It runs on 93 octane pump gas. Just did a leakdown test last spring after 4 seasons of running, and it showed less than normal wear. BTW, boat motors run under more extreme conditions than their automotive counterparts. Like everything in life, if you cut corners you will eventually run into problems in the long run.
If you can learn how to and install a nitrous kit and use it successfully chances are you could install a turbo kit if it were (bolt on enough) without any help. Problem is most require some exhaust work etc for which most people don't have tools to do. Otherwise the average enthusiast could really install it, it's not really that hard. I do have boost and EGT however they are not required mearly toys. In my situation I change my boost a lot so I do need them but a turbo kit could be run without them really.

True what you say about NA built V8 motors but remember NA development on those motors have been around for years. Take any 4 or 6 cylinder engine build it NA for maximum power and it will never be like a NA built V8. They are just superior when it comes to NA power production because they have been developed so much more. You do that type of stuf to a 4 or 6 cyl it gets pretty unreliable and becomes for the most part a crappy running motor.

VQvroom: Yes Nitrous does force air into the Engine there smart guy. N2O (Nitrous x 2, Oxygen x 1) and they are split when burned. N2O is pressurized inside the bottle and forced into the engine by pressure where the oxygen is released during the combustion process. So yes Nitrous does in fact force air into the engine. WHy did I even both to respond to that honestly?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:05 PM
VQ Wizard

wrong? no i dont think so. I was not refering to the BRAND name.

for example:
does ABS only mean anti-lock brake system?
Yes it also stands for 'Already Been Stupid' which applies to your case as well.

Ill call it whatever i want to call it.
And we'll make fun of you accordingly for your ignorance.

It was very obvious you all know what i meant and didnt have much to fireback with.
We didn't need much to fire back on. You've been owning yourself in here all day.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Sports Button FTW

all this time i thought Jime was a girl

Anyway, nitrous, some people consider cheating but i dont see why. Obviously stock vs stock a maxima cant beat an LS1. But whats the point of hooking up the car in the first place if you ask what a car has and doesnt. Jime doesnt have headers and the Ls1 has them. You do things to your car to make your car faster. Thats why you never underestimate a car at the line. Is an STI cheating because it has a turbo added to its car? Ofcourse domestics will consider any modifications cheating because they are the only ones that basically come with the the heavy powered engines.

This isnt a Ls1 vs a 2002 nissan maxima. This is Jime's Nissan Maxima (with its modifications) vs someone's LS1 (with modifications). Why are u so mad that the LS1 lost to the maxima? Why go to the track if you are not gonna hook up your car? your not gonna get any faster...
Old 04-26-2004, 06:37 PM

you hit the nail right on the head....

ever hear the phrase "all bottle no throttle?"

Who gives a f*ck about that phrase Jime is one of our oldest members here on the org. Mr. Nitrous, Id like to see you hook up the same shot of Nitrous he has and you go run a 12.1? Thinks its simple? no is not simple. The point of this video is to show that he ran a 12.1 in the 1/4. Thats it. He just happen to line up with a LS1. Boohooo he beat him. Boost is boost whether from a SCer/Turbo or Nitrous. Give him props for running a 12.1 with a big FWD family sedan. Its not simple to launch a FWD vehicle.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Lightly modded

I still don't get people's obsession with thinking nitrous is cheating. Just because there isn't some big complicated blower under the hood doesn't mean you're cheating. It's just another replacement for displacement. I also love how people say nitrous is so unreliable (in general). If it's tuned correctly (just like any other setup) it should be very reliable up to a certain power point. I don't own nitrous.....yet.

Congrats Jime. Keep pushing the limits.

And Mecca- you probably got Jime confused with the old member Lime, who was a girl.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:56 PM

wtf u jime u have an auto.

all i got to say is WOW
Old 04-27-2004, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maximum96
And no one said the LS didnt have nitrous.....Great times JIME.I dont see what the big deal is about these arguements, A 4door auto V6 up against a v8 powerhouse, It is all worth it to see the faces on those guys
The big deal is there are people that try to rain on someone's parade with rediculous comments like some that were made by VQvroom.

My question still stands, "Does the 1/4 time not count because one car had nitrous and the other didn't?"
Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 AM

Whatever.......
Nitrous is cheap. I asked if the other car ran it. If it did than good job.

Im not really going to go into the grudge match talking personaly about you guys like "sr20den" does. Im not that type of person and like i said before this is nothing personal. Sounds like "sr20den" has some issues or he is just plain immature.

And no nitrous isnt boost it does not provide pressurized air into the intake.

And yes i drive a maxima, its great to see a fast one. Its great to see low times. Is it great to see everyone bragging and saying "kill" when the other car didnt run nitrous? NO. Am i going to go throw a S/C on my car and come brag about beating N/A (naturaly aspirated) maxima or other cars? NO. Not that Jime bragged but the rest of you did enough for him.

My original post said good job. I asked if the other car that was supposedly "killed" ran nitrous. Then everyone gets all defensive. LOL. And that basically sums it up.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by deezo
The big deal is there are people that try to rain on someone's parade with rediculous comments like some that were made by VQvroom.

My question still stands, "Does the 1/4 time not count because one car had nitrous and the other didn't?"

HAHA your the one that exploded this into the big deal that it is. I just asked if the other car ran nitrous. Does the time count? sure it does. I said that before. Do i respect the win? NO. Am i going to say boy you really stomped that domestic? NO. Am i going to say the only reason you won is nitrous? YES

I dont mean in any way to degrade Jime's car, his driving abilities or his very fast times. I am just stating my opinion bc i have one. Sorry its not the same as yours.

PS. i even stated, i dont mean to rain on your parade. I just wanted to compare apples to apples. A simple yes or no answer would have done fine for me and i would have kept my opinion/comments to myself. But i was provoked and im hardly going to hold back if you ask me directly.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:29 AM

Whatever.......

My original post said good job. I asked if the other car that was supposedly "killed" ran nitrous. Then everyone gets all defensive. LOL. And that basically sums it up.
I'm definitely not defensive. This is just another case of someone misinforming others because that someone is misinformed. I don't have an any kind of boost but I know that if I ran against someone with boost at the track, my times would be legit and why? Because I ran my time and the other driver ran made his time too. He could have don't it driving backwards and it still wouldn't make a difference.

Heck for all we know, the LS1 probably had more HP/TQ than Jim's Max.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:38 AM
VQ Wizard

Im not really going to go into the grudge match talking personaly about you guys like "sr20den" does. Im not that type of person and like i said before this is nothing personal. Sounds like "sr20den" has some issues or he is just plain immature.
And you still don't get it. How many times have you seen F&F?
Old 04-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Old Maxima Legend

all BS aside it was a GREAT race/run ! This kind of race will force people out of their seats !

A drag race is an acceleration contest.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:26 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I'm not getting involved in the NOS discussion, just wanted to point out to everyone that the other car in Jime's video was either a '94 or '95 Trans Am with an LT1 engine, not the LS1. I am a big Chevy fan myself and when you see what these Maxima's can do with a good setup, such as Jime's, its pretty amazing. You've obviously put many hours into your car and that 12.3 timeslip proves it.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
And you still don't get it. How many times have you seen F&F?
nice comeback. LOL
does this even pertain to me being that im siding with muscle not rice?
either way F&F comment is a pretty typical comeback when you dont have anything valid to say. Sr20den im sorry for what i said to make you angry.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:04 AM

OK, so congrats to Jime for the great times. Its really impressive. To degrade his efforts was not my intention. I just wanted to compare apples to apples.

Im sorry i started an arguement by asking if the other car ran nitrous.
Im also sorry i didnt use the .org term or the correct brand of nitrous system Jime uses.

Like i said its great to see a maxima run good times. Unfortunatly its not great to see such low respect for american cars.

Last, sorry to Jime for polluting his thread with my nonsense combacks. I do have to admit it was fueled by remarks after the original question was asked. Im not blaminig anyone specific just the variety of combacks i received, i just wanted to know if the other car ran nitrous. No hard feelings.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 AM
STFU n00b!

you're still missing the point.. they ARE comparing apples to apples. the track was 1/4 mile long and Jime got to the end first- in 12.3 seconds.

It doesn't matter what was on the car or what wasn't on the other one. a 12.3 (or better yet a 12.1 which I haven't seen the video for) is a damn impressive time for any car, let alone a Maxima. WHO CARES what he's done to it?!?! Seems like you're the only one. The object is to go as fast as you can to get to the end of the dragstrip in the shortest amount of time.

so would bolting an I/Y/E/whatever onto your otherwise stock car be cheating? would actually TUNING the car be cheating? No? Why not? bolting on nitrous is just another way of adding power to the car. by no means is it cheating. cheating would be spraying water into the other guys' lane or dumping sugar into his gas tank, or otherwise hampering the other guy.

just that it happened to be a pretty fast domestic V8 in the other lane makes no difference. he could have been up against an 11 sec turbo'd civic, or another MAxima on boost.. would Jime's time at the end of the 1/4 change? no. the 12.3 time still stands no matter what car is in the other lane. So then it's not cheating.

That's your arguement, and it's obvioulsy not working for you so you're changing the subject.

when you should be congratulating Jime for a damn fast time, you're asking if the other guy was on bottle?! and you say WE are not showing the american cars enough respect? This is a nissan forum after all..
Old 04-27-2004, 07:37 AM

Good work like always Jime. With slicks that small at what rpm do you cross hte finish line and in which gear? I am thinking fourth gear at around 5k. Get in touch with SR20DEN, he has a way of tuning the intake manifold to make the car faster.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Good work like always Jime. With slicks that small at what rpm do you cross hte finish line and in which gear? I am thinking fourth gear at around 5k. Get in touch with SR20DEN, he has a way of tuning the intake manifold to make the car faster.
Not sure how to respond in this thread.

I have gone from a Grandfather to a Grandmother and then to Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) all in one day.

You are bang on, around 5300 at the line in the low 12's. N/A its just around 6400 in 3rd at the line.

BTW here is my 12.1 timeslip.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Bandwagon Lover

OK, so congrats to Jime for the great times. Its really impressive. To degrade his efforts was not my intention. I just wanted to compare apples to apples.
Impossible to do an apples to apples comparison. V8 RWD with mods vs V6 FWD with mods. 4-door vs 2-door. Foreign vs domestic.

Run what you brung and don't whine at the finish line when you lose. Just come another day and try to do better.

Jime, great run!!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:38 AM

First of all....AWESOME JOB Jime!!!!! Let no one take a DAMN thing away from that. You took a Maxima to levels previously not seen and only speculated.

All this talk of nitrous' legitimacy is irrelevant. This winds up being a circular argument anyway: the VQ35DE makes up for its 2 less cylinders and 2.2L less displacement (than the LS1) by injecting nitrous but then if you add nitrous to the LS1 its back on top again so then you have to add 2 more cylinders and 2.2L to the VQ35DE (read: VK56DE) to make it all even again......DIZZYING isnt it???

This talk about nitrous 'running out' being some sort of disqualifier is silly. A drag race is not an endurance race (unless you're racing a Yugo). It's simply a power adder. Is an Eclipse with its boost cranked beyond OEM levels cheating when it beats a Mustang GT?

BTW: to the person that indicated nitrous being a form of forced induction, technically is a chemical induction as the nature of the the intake air's makeup is changed substantially. (The intake volume hasnt actually changed.) As opposed to a turbo or supercharger FORCING air (forced induction) into the intake manifold. $.02