General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Finished the Lower Tie Bars for 89-03

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
What are those fresh oil on your transverse pin bolt ? Are you leaking engine oil ?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Yes I'am, i have not figured out where it is coming from yet. All I know is it is on the back side and its high up.

Its always something it seems...
Old 04-30-2004, 02:00 AM
V^___^V

hey matt...thx for introducing a new suspension mod to the 4th gen. it's about time for us to get something new.

btw do you happen to have any reviews on stage 1 lower tie-bar? how big of differnece is this from stage 2? i am thinking about stage 1 cuz i don't drive my car too hard, but i do wanna overcome the oversteering problem with my RSB. are you gonna do a GD on stage 1 as well? also what color of finish you have for stage 1?

thx again
Old 04-30-2004, 05:46 AM
STFU n00b!

Anachronism, I may look at doing some radial arms soon, but I've got a lot of other projects I'm trying to get knocked out first. I highly recommend getting some poly engine mounts though. no matter what else you do to the system, if you don't fix those big squishy mounts, the engine will never stop hopping around in the engine bay- thus your wheel hop. you don't get that much in vibration in the interior. I only notice vibes in mine when the idle is below 700- and my idle wanders anywhere from 650-900 most of the time when the engine's warm- so it's very seldom that I get much vibration. the benefits hugely outweigh the drawbacks.

Colonel, this will just bolt right on top of what's already there. you remove 4 bolts, stick the bar on the car, and replace the 4 bolts. it's a 10-15 minute install for most people with air tools.. I'll put a page together with install instructions for those who feel they need them.

95maxrider, it doesn't necessarily 'induce' understeer, but it does firm up the front end a lot. it will help alleviate the RSB's oversteer problem by keeping the car flatter in corners, but it doesn't make the car understeer. if you've installed a FSTB at one time or another, you'll get the same benefits in performance only much more dramatic. Remember that stiffening the chassis can only help, but stiffening the suspension will get you in trouble when you go too far (i.e. the RSB is just under the limit of too stiff for most people)

PhxBlue, I *think* it will fit, but I'm not sure.. I sent you an email with a proposal on a test-fit. (BTW, looks like a power steering hose or valve cover leak up top. check the PS pressure and return lines. it's common on 3rd gens, but it's an age thing on rubber hoses- should be doing it on your car. for a 2k2, shouldn't it still be under warranty?)

happyricefob, the Stage I is the same thing, only a little less dramatic. it's akin to installing an FSTB basically. They usually sell for $50 + shipping. for the group buy stuff, I'll throw in shipping, which is about 8 on it. (so you're getting 15% off basically). Currently they're all just spray painted, but I'm working on getting a powder coater and zinc plating rig so I can put a more durable finish on them.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:21 AM

Matt

1) When will you have the LTB with powdercoating, zinc plating? I'm in as soon as you have it. Stupid Michigan winters. Want to offer same promo price on the powdercoated/zinc plated pieces? I'll pay right now

2) Would there be a need for an alignment after adding the LTB?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Old Timer

OK guys. Here's the deal. The Bar is on the car. I've got a 4th gen 5 speed. Any of you who Solo II and autocross know that even with a rear sway bar, in predictable corners, the max is an understeer beast. You guys can argue it all you want, but it'sthe truth. Any car wil oversteer if put into the right conditions. So let's not get off onto the question of will this correct the oversteer problem. Oversteer is not the problem in a max, its the fact that drivers are driving too fast in certain conditions. I can promise you that Matt is not going to say that this bar stops oversteer in a Maxima. Then when you guys drive even faster, you'll blame him when you have a wreck.

As for the bar. Steering is very precise. As soon as you turn the wheel, the car wants to turn. The initial bite is very good, and when Solo II and road racing, this is a very good thing. The push is gone in those high speed controlled corners. Notice I said controlled corners, cause when you get into an uncontrolled corner, then you're gonna oversteer. Control your speed and your vehicle.
I love this bar, and I will not trade it for anything. Well. OK, I'd trade it for some JIC A-2's.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Old Timer

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
Ok Matt. Here is a few pics of the headers and down pipe. Are these pics good enough to tell if it will fit?

Man, looking at this pic, I don't think my bar would fit your car. Then again, I have a 4th gen and just a regular Y pipe. I haven't seen a bar on a 5th gen yet, but I can say that clearances on the 4th gen are pretty tight, which is a good thing I think. I think it would be hard to tell just looking at the pics you got there due to differences in angles and so on, but I'll let Matt say for sure.

-David-
Old 05-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Boosted Panda

David,
How is the wheel hop. Thats what im really interested in this for.
I get wheel hop with my 18's and hate it.
So, was the install as simple as it sounds?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Old Timer

Install is fine. Very easy to do. Clearances are tight, so minor prying to get it in place, but you could unbolt the thing and it would stay on. I love it. As for wheel hop, It shouldn't affect wheel hop.

Transmission rotation is what causes wheel hop, and this doesn't affect transmission movement at all. This simply stiffens the chassis.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:12 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i want one too bad i spent my mod money on other stuff lol hopefully this price stays around for a lil while nice work
Old 05-02-2004, 08:41 PM
STFU n00b!

Well, this group deal/intro pricing is good until Friday (May 7).. after that, I'll need 10 buyers at a time for the same pricing. I'm not opposed to doing group deals and such, but I'm of the same opinion as Cattman... if I'm going to get less money, I need to be doing less work- that means making 10-15 at a time instead of 1-2 at a time. these things are VERY time consuming if you're only making 1 or 2.

David, Flavor247's question on wheel hop is asking if it REDUCES it, not makes it worse. In theory, it should help reduce it by stopping some of the chassis flex... but real world results don't always go along with theory.

pocketrocket, I'm working on the PC and zinc plating. ETA on that stuff is unknown at this point. I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now, and the zinc plating is one of the big items on my list for the near future. Powdercoating is as well, but the costs are higher on that.. I've got to get a BIG oven to do these tie bars, so I can't just pick up any used oven at an appliance place..
Old 05-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
...I've got to get a BIG oven to do these tie bars, so I can't just pick up any used oven at an appliance place..
Just cant go to Best Buy and buy one?

Hey, let me know when you have coating options available. I want one...but have to have it environmentally protected...same reason I coated the calipers. :sigh:
Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I'm with Colonel on that one. I need some corrosion protection for my lovely drives in our salt-belt blessed state.

You have to post with big, colorful font to get our attention the moment you zinc or powdercoat. Heck, I'll even be the first person! Intro GD is a must, ok Matt?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:03 AM
STFU n00b!

Honestly, zinc plating and powdercoating isn't going to give a whole lot more protection than paint. the powder will withstand rock chips a lot better, but nothing will stand up to a 3000lb car plowing the brace into a pothole. This metal is thick enough that you're going to be selling the car years before rust would ever cause any significant damage to the tie bars.. the wall thicknesses on the tubing I use are about 1/8"-- thicker than most of the stuff under your car now.

I'm working on getting this stuff, but that doesn't mean it will be here next week or anything.

for you guys that are worried about weather, using stainless steel may be a better choice for you- but it's NOT cheap. Stainless 3-4 times the price of regular steel. If you guys are interested, I can make the stuff in SS, but it's going to be $50-60 more per piece..
Old 05-04-2004, 08:04 AM

I'm wondering how dramatic of a difference this will make. I'm also wondering how dramatic of a difference there is between stage 1 and stage 2. Stage 1 is easier to install, and less stuff under the car. But Stage 2 is probably stiffer.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:58 PM
STFU n00b!

The install time is 10-15 minutes if you have air tools and a 5 speed. very easy. 4 bolts.
stage I to stage II is only two bolts, and they're the easier of the ones to remove/install.

There's a pretty dramatic difference in handling.
d_warner did a writeup on his cardomain website and posted a review on VQpower.com if you'd like to browse through those.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/d_warner
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.php?name=Reviews
Old 05-04-2004, 02:13 PM

Good articles.
Thanks Matt.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Lightly modded

Matt, exactly what are the differences between stage I and II? I don't remember seeing it in this thread. What's the price difference?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:32 PM
STFU n00b!

The stage I and Stage II pictures for 3rd gens are on my website.
www.mattblehm.com/suspension.html

I'll do the stage I for $50, shipped (you get free shipping on it over regular price)
Old 05-04-2004, 03:45 PM

Great product Matt, I'll be ordering in a few days
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 PM
STFU n00b!

Old 05-05-2004, 09:30 PM

dangit matt... you are tempting me soo bad.. but i gotta save up for tires first.. then the big brake kit upgrade u got. then maybe these.. but not for a while since its takin me a while to save up
Old 05-05-2004, 09:58 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Matt, just wondering if you got my payment, and what the time frame is for shipment? Again, thanks much buddy.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:53 PM
STFU n00b!

I would assume you're George then?
Yes, I got it.

I started a batch of a dozen 4th gens today and will do the 5th gens when I get those put together.
I have a gallon of heavy duty chassis-black paint coming. should be here by the middle of next week. if it comes in by the time I get them finished, then I'll use it. If not, then it's prime and paint with the regular stuff.

Basically I hope to be shipping by the end of next week.

Due to the downtime on the forums recently, I'm going to extend the group deal pricing until the end of the weekend- May 9.
That may allow a few of you that don't get on much another chance to get in on this deal. If the order isn't in by midnight Sunday night, then the price goes to the regular $125 + shipping.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:11 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I would assume you're George then?
Yes, I got it.
That would be me sir. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mclee45
dangit matt... you are tempting me soo bad.. but i gotta save up for tires first.. then the big brake kit upgrade u got. then maybe these.. but not for a while since its takin me a while to save up
my exact thoughts So many mods, so little money and time...