General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is our favorite Max going to be a dinosaur?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:57 PM

Is our favorite Max going to be a dinosaur?

After some 60 posts in the thread I started (With $32k ... Max or TL), it is clear that the TL beats the 6th gen Max hands down, while the G35 competes well against the TL. With the G35 pushing down from above and the Altima pushing its way up (particular the 05 Altima with better interior fit and finish), it seems there is little or no place for the Max in the Infiniti/Nissan lineup.

In this scenario, will the Max be a dinosaur and eventually become extinct? This seems like a sad doomsday picture for us Max enthusiasts.

Now, guys (and gals), if you want to keep the Max alive, let us tell Nissan what we want of our 7th gen Max. (since few of us like the 6th gen or believe it has any potential). Let's talk about the future exterior style (BMW 3 or 5 series look-alike?), price ($25k to $30K?), amenities (better stereo and Navi, rear heated reclining seats?), engine (keep the VQ35?), size (5th gen is ideal or the more nimble 3rd gen?), drive (FWD or RWD or AWD?) ......

Let us (or more importantly ... YOU) be heard. May be Nissan will listen.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nissan wont listen, and this has been brought up a lot in the past... there was a huge multy-page thread on this recently
Old 04-29-2004, 12:25 AM
Sports Button FTW

the new nissan doesnt fail because of power or performance. Its all because of bad syle design. Hopefully the next generation will make a radical change and restore the popularity of the maxima

Nowadays, cars are made with too much stuff. It becomes harder and harder to hook up a car exterior wise cause of the shape and the things they come with...that new corolla comes with a friggin kit...where's the fun in that? just something i was thinking...
Old 04-29-2004, 12:32 AM

break away from the mold and go with a 3rd gen styling Ditch the beam, add the IRS. They were almost there with the 5.5 (got the engine part down )
Old 04-29-2004, 04:25 AM

Well, what I want is the VQ engine, longitudinally mounted and in a rwd or awd platform. Sounds like a G35 to me. If the Maxima dies, so be it. What I think Nissan should do is market the G35 with the Maxima name, but that would undercut Infiniti sales, so it's never going to happen.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:46 AM

I think for the 6th gen nissan should have made a smaller body car.....
They should have just modified the 5th gen body a bit....the rear for example cause the front is just fine.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 AM

the maxima died after 1999. 4DSC was no more.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 AM

we represent a very small percentage of all maxima owners, Nissan will do whats best for the general public
Old 04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by billy_corgan

The 4DSC label was born with and died with the 3rd gen. The 4th gen and 5th share essentially the same platform,
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

As long as there is a market for a roomy 4 door sedan, Nissan will produce either the Maxima or Altima. It would seem that the Maxima is getting too large and the Altima is almost the same size.

Don't quite know where the "G35 competes well" with the TL thing comes from. The G handles better, is quicker and has new chassis I believe than the TL. And it's RWD. the G35 has also trumped the BMW 3 series in many car mag tests also. As long as the TL is FWD, it's probably at it's limit as for how much hp it can get though it's front wheels. The G is just beginning it's developement journey(while the TL is on it's last legs while fwd) Also the G is also available in AWD configuration. And a recent test inbetween the G35IX and the Audi A4, the G was superior in almost if not all the performance/subject tests. You can't beat an AWD system that's rwd based vs an AWD system that's fwd based. Remember that when Acura tries to enter the AWD market using an fwd based platform like the Audi A4.
The TL is bigger. But that's about it.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think the TL competes more with the I35. Becasue of size reasons and the way both are built.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
The 4DSC label was born with and died with the 3rd gen. The 4th gen and 5th share essentially the same platform,
I realize this, but the Maxima was still a relatively small annd agile and light 4 door car. 5th gen are boats.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by nismoflo
i think the TL competes more with the I35. Becasue of size reasons and the way both are built.
The I35 is basically a slightly dressed up 5.5 gen Max. Because the poll clearly shows that the 04 TL beats the Max, the TL also beats the I35. Simple logic. Further, I think the I35 (like the Max) is bigger than the TL which, in turn, is slightly bigger than the nimble G35.

It is unfortunate that Nissan could not come up with a winning formula for the Max, which is supposedly its flagship. It is also unfortunate to hear that some of the Max fans do not care if the Max dies. However, this goes to show that it is a jungle out there and only the fittest survives. The Max has been around for more than 20 years, and it will be quite sad if it indeed dies.

Hey, even though we represent only a small fraction of Max owners, I think our thoughts and ideas are representative of most owners. In this regard, Nissan will be foolish if it does not heed our advice.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM

I think that sadly, the Maxima's destiny is probably to become the "Avalon" of the Nissan lineup. A roomy, confortable sedan with luxurious pretension. Altima is taking its place as the midsize sporty sedan in the lineup. For me, next stop... G35.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:31 PM

I'm just gonna wait and see what happens when Nissan studies thier consumer satisfactions reports, warranty claims and sales before they'll do something to change it.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:53 PM

yeap

Old 04-30-2004, 05:20 AM

IMO: 3.5L is not dead as u say....It grew up a little..... "4DSC it still is", Yoda says.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:27 AM
is invisible

I realize this, but the Maxima was still a relatively small annd agile and light 4 door car. 5th gen are boats.
I'll assume you're not biased, but I have a feeling the 5th gen guys will disagree.

How is the the 5th a boat compared to the 4th gen? How much more does it weigh? How much bigger is it? It should be relatively the same.
Also, it's my understanding that the rear suspension was improved with the 5th gen.

I'm standing by what I said: once the Maxima lost the IRS in '95, it also relinquished to the 4DSC title.
If the 5th gen isn't a "4DSC" then the 4th gen isn't either.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:36 AM

I would consider the 5.5 a 4dsc if
1. It had teh stickers from the factory
2. It didnt have a damn beam

They got the engine/tranny part down good, and the HID's and styling are sweet, but needs more IRS and less Beam.

Personally I think the 4th gens belong to soccer moms, 5th gens are back on it with the 3rd gens and the 6th gens have cool commercials, but still have the round boaty look like the 4th gen. The 3rd and 5th look more streamline IMHO. I also think the 5.5 looks better than the 00-01 because of the wider bumper cut out and the hid's, it just looks more agressive IMHO.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:11 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by MrGone
I would consider the 5.5 a 4dsc if
1. It had teh stickers from the factory
2. It didnt have a damn beam

They got the engine/tranny part down good, and the HID's and styling are sweet, but needs more IRS and less Beam.

Personally I think the 4th gens belong to soccer moms, 5th gens are back on it with the 3rd gens and the 6th gens have cool commercials, but still have the round boaty look like the 4th gen. The 3rd and 5th look more streamline IMHO. I also think the 5.5 looks better than the 00-01 because of the wider bumper cut out and the hid's, it just looks more agressive IMHO.
The 6th gen has IRS, and even though it looks bloated, it doesn't handle like it.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:48 AM

skyline own all which is basically a g35awd
Old 05-01-2004, 08:40 AM
EZ

The 5th gens are bigger and weight 300 lbs more than the 4th gens. I'd consider both very sporty but the 6th is just flat disappointing. If Nissan is listening, make the Max a SMALLER version of the Altima with more sport. Forget the Altima SE-R. Make a Max that had great handling with FWD and looks like a 4-door Z car. That would be a flagship sedan
Old 05-01-2004, 02:17 PM

I agree, the 6th gen is HUGE. I sat in one at the 2004 International Auto Show and I felt like I was in somebody's living room. I feel much more at home in an interior the size of my 3rd gen, or the 4th and 5th gens. Also, I'm not much on the exterior, it only looks good at certain angles, and that back is really squished looking. Also, the grille is just hideous. I'm not a fan of the headlights either. The Maxima should've stayed as an inependent chassis instead of getting a stretched Altima platform (bad move Nissan IMO) Nissan needs to redesign the max again in a 3rd-5th gen size body with good looks.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:38 PM

I owned a 3rd gen which I sold last year, and now I still have a 4th gen and 5.5 gen Max. Of the 3 cars, the 3rd gen is the sportiest because of its IRS, but the 5.5 gen has the best and sweetest engine. I have not driven the 6th gen, which appears to be a bit bloated yet aggressive looking from certain angles. I don't know if the 6th gen's IRS is better or worse than the 3rd gen. Anyone out there who has compared the two and care to comment?

I also think the 3rd gen is the best in quality, but my 5.5 gen has a lot of nice features (such as in-dash CD changer, HIDs, heated seats and steering wheel etc) which are not available on the 3rd gen.

Someone mentioned that the new Max is more like an Avalon or a Japanese Buick. I kind of agree because the Max is no longer what it used to be and known for -- an affordable 4DSC that is a cut above the run-of-the mill Accord and Camry.

Heh -- is Nissan out there listening???
Old 05-01-2004, 04:08 PM

Well, I think the Maxima will be down under for a few more gens yet. The Maxima here is Nissans only car of that size, the Primera being the next biggest. Our 6th gen is doing quite well in the reviews, with reviewers rating it better then a Camry, Accord, Commodore and Falcon in nearly everything, including style .
Old 05-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Im izz sexay

THe 6th gen is being hated on seriously. I personally like their style. That is probably because my mother owns a 2k2 Altima and the chassis is basically the same. I have pushed my mothers car from 0 to 100. Those cars are fast. But now we're going to throw that I4 engine out the door for an almighty V6 pusher. C'mon look at all the cars of the 1990's that are being sold today as 2k4's and 2k5's. Face it the cars are getting much more larger and powerful. Every auto maker is trying to outdue the other by making theirs more powerful and what can seat more people. But now reliability is becomming at risk. The 2K4 maxima's have had their share of problems so had the Camry, Accord, and all other first of the generation models.

When you are looking a a car that you may have to spend 30k on are you really going to be like, "Where's the 4DSC sticker!!" You are looking for a car that can get you from here to there without worrying about any problems. If you are looking for Nissan's 4DSC label the Maxima isn't the car you want anymore. The new Altima next year (don't hold me to the length of time) will officially come out with a sports model. Nissan has decided to make the Maxima luxury oriented. The way I see it is that hook up a 2k4 maxima, rollup to some 4 banger punk that thinks his teg is all that fast due to his loud exhaust and intake and blow that sucker into the next dimension. The maxima is a grocery getter guys face it. But when that grocery getter packs a civic next to the celery all eyes will fall and the eggs get scrambled good.

Due to my car being a grocery getter/4DSC I decided to keep it because I already beat the crap out of my friends 89 CRX, 93 Civic, and 95 Integra. His Teg is slow and the CRX's has no type of power for the V6. Besides how else can you beat a stock maxima with cars limited to 125mph while my max can excede that and it's only a VG with no mods. I can't wait to see their faces once my tranny gets rebuilt.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:43 PM
EZ

The sad fact is that Nissan doesn't need a 4 door sports car anymore. The G35 (as many have said before) is Nissan's true flagship sports sedan. Sure the Alty and Max can keep up with the G, but take it to some twisties and the G will leave them behind. At one time, the Maxima name had better brand equity than the Nissan brand....how times have changed
Old 05-01-2004, 06:48 PM

I'll assume you're not biased, but I have a feeling the 5th gen guys will disagree.

How is the the 5th a boat compared to the 4th gen? How much more does it weigh? How much bigger is it? It should be relatively the same.
Also, it's my understanding that the rear suspension was improved with the 5th gen.

I'm standing by what I said: once the Maxima lost the IRS in '95, it also relinquished to the 4DSC title.
If the 5th gen isn't a "4DSC" then the 4th gen isn't either.
thats fine if the 5th gen guys disagree. First off the 5th gen Max is around 300lbs heavier. Plus about 3 inches longer, an ince higher, and an inch wider. Not much, but it just looks bulkier. Although the 4th gen doesn't carry the official "4DSC" title, it was still the lightest, most aggressive, and most advanced for it's time Maxima ever made.

This is only my opinion. I wouldnt buy a 5th gen Maxima. And it doesnt have that mean aggresive look that I think the 4th gen carries. I stick by my sig pic.

And for all those who flame me saying, the 3.5L Maxima would smoke you, I know this. I love the 3.5L. and I still love the Maxima. Id just rather get something else over a 5th gen + Maxima.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:07 PM

the maxima started putting on weight and getting fat looking after 94, and its still growing
Old 05-01-2004, 09:21 PM
EZ

Originally Posted by Maximan190
the maxima started putting on weight and getting fat looking after 94, and its still growing
That is wrong. The 95-96 Maximas were the lightest Maximas. The independent rear of the 3rd gens and the iron block of the VGs made it about 100lbs heavier than a comparably equipped 4th gen. The 95-96 GXEs weight around 3000 lbs. The 5th gens are waaaay heavy (300 lbs heavier) and a 4th gen 5 speed was equal to that of a 5th gen (3.0L). As we know, the 3.5L was faster.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:35 PM
THX
Hallelujah

Going from 3rd gen auto to 4th gen 5-spd I still think the 4DSC name was last with the 94se. I feel like I'm in a boat, a torquey boat, but still I miss the 4 wheel independent susp.

I've had thoughts about Nissan slapping a S/C on the next Max, which would give it an edge over the Altima, GTP, and TL. But as said above, styling should probably come first. The TL is more luxurious *and* sporty.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:53 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Man... some of you guys are making me reminisce of my '94 5-speed. I traded that car in for the '02 6-speed last year. There was absolutely nothing wrong w/ my '94, it drove like a dream. I just wanted a change. Don't get me wrong, I have NO complaints about the 5.5, it's amazing. That engine and the overall fit and finish are first class.
But man, the suspension and overall drive on the older one was so sweet. That car in blk/blk well maintained still looks good today after 10 years. If I could have any Maxima new w/ 0 miles, I think I would buy a '94 again.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by EZ
That is wrong. The 95-96 Maximas were the lightest Maximas. The independent rear of the 3rd gens and the iron block of the VGs made it about 100lbs heavier than a comparably equipped 4th gen. The 95-96 GXEs weight around 3000 lbs. The 5th gens are waaaay heavy (300 lbs heavier) and a 4th gen 5 speed was equal to that of a 5th gen (3.0L). As we know, the 3.5L was faster.
The VE also had an Iron block. You can still trim down a 3rd gen to be pretty light. I also think Maximan190 was talking more in terms of the looks. After the 3rd gen they started getting all round and bubbly looking. The other thing is the 3rd gen has a bigger interior.

Although the 4th gen doesn't carry the official "4DSC" title, it was still the lightest, most aggressive, and most advanced for it's time Maxima ever made.
I disagree, I believe the 3rd gen has that title. It came with alot of features that other cars didnt come with at the time, not to mention the engine (Coil over plug, variable intake, variable cams, other stuff I'm forgetting).
Old 05-02-2004, 01:46 PM

The 5th gens are waaaay heavy (300 lbs heavier) <quote by billy_corgan

Yes but Nissan compensated for the extra weight by adding more power.

It is clear that Nissan has every intent to abandon the Max as the 4DSC and pass the torch to the Altima, especially since they've redesigned the interior.

The Max will be no more, unless it is as someone suggested earlier (becomes the Avalon of Nissan).

Anyone willing to bet they'll be a 7th Gen Max? Not me and not unless they make it into a fashion that somehow distinguishes it immensly from the Altima while not forging into Infiniti G territory.

Does that make sense? I don't see the Max being around long because now that the Altima's interior has been redesigned (that was the major complaint) it will appeal to the older crowd who typically go out and purchase the Maxima.

Go with the Altima, if you don't care about luxury or go with the G35 if you do, otherwise you'll be stuck searching the auto graveyards for parts for Maximas in the near future.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by MrGone
The VE also had an Iron block. You can still trim down a 3rd gen to be pretty light. I also think Maximan190 was talking more in terms of the looks. After the 3rd gen they started getting all round and bubbly looking. The other thing is the 3rd gen has a bigger interior.

I disagree, I believe the 3rd gen has that title. It came with alot of features that other cars didnt come with at the time, not to mention the engine (Coil over plug, variable intake, variable cams, other stuff I'm forgetting).
You forgot VLSD
Old 05-03-2004, 06:24 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by turdlett
THe 6th gen is being hated on seriously. I personally like their style. That is probably because my mother owns a 2k2 Altima and the chassis is basically the same. I have pushed my mothers car from 0 to 100. Those cars are fast. But now we're going to throw that I4 engine out the door for an almighty V6 pusher. C'mon look at all the cars of the 1990's that are being sold today as 2k4's and 2k5's. Face it the cars are getting much more larger and powerful. Every auto maker is trying to outdue the other by making theirs more powerful and what can seat more people. But now reliability is becomming at risk. The 2K4 maxima's have had their share of problems so had the Camry, Accord, and all other first of the generation models.

When you are looking a a car that you may have to spend 30k on are you really going to be like, "Where's the 4DSC sticker!!" You are looking for a car that can get you from here to there without worrying about any problems. If you are looking for Nissan's 4DSC label the Maxima isn't the car you want anymore. The new Altima next year (don't hold me to the length of time) will officially come out with a sports model. Nissan has decided to make the Maxima luxury oriented.

EXACTLY, at least Nissan is competing head-to-head with with its main competitors.
I wonder if it's a nameplate issue, and if that were the case, would switching the Altima/Maxima nameplates appease those with complaints?
Times are changing, it's time to move on folks.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:43 AM
is invisible

thats fine if the 5th gen guys disagree. First off the 5th gen Max is around 300lbs heavier. Plus about 3 inches longer, an ince higher, and an inch wider. Not much, but it just looks bulkier. Although the 4th gen doesn't carry the official "4DSC" title, it was still the lightest, most aggressive, and most advanced for it's time Maxima ever made.
Like previously stated, they compensated the weight issue with more power. Also, being a 4DSC isn't so much dependent on the weight of the car; it has more to do with its handling characteristics, and since the rear suspension was improved and the SE got bigger rims in the 5th gen, I'm willing to bet that the 5th gen handles better too.

This is only my opinion. I wouldnt buy a 5th gen Maxima. And it doesnt have that mean aggresive look that I think the 4th gen carries. I stick by my sig pic.
Err, I only see 2 mufflers in your sig pic.
And the 4th gen looks downright tame compared to the 5th gen, with it's gaping grill, fender flares, and unique taillights.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:27 AM

Like previously stated, they compensated the weight issue with more power. Also, being a 4DSC isn't so much dependent on the weight of the car; it has more to do with its handling characteristics, and since the rear suspension was improved and the SE got bigger rims in the 5th gen, I'm willing to bet that the 5th gen handles better too.

Err, I only see 2 mufflers in your sig pic.
And the 4th gen looks downright tame compared to the 5th gen, with it's gaping grill, fender flares, and unique taillights.
Once again it is only a matter of opinion..we could argue until were blue in the frace and still be at the same point. I like 4th gens, you like 5th gens.....Big deal...
Old 05-04-2004, 07:49 AM
is invisible

Once again it is only a matter of opinion..we could argue until were blue in the frace and still be at the same point. I like 4th gens, you like 5th gens.....Big deal...

You're absolutely correct.
However, I find the '97-'99 Max SE to be probably the best-looking of all the Maxes and the '02-'03 to be second. But how classy the car looks has little to do with how much of a "4DSC" it is.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First of all the 4DSC title is only a selling ploy. There is no such thing as a front wheel drive sports car short of an Acura Integra Type R. The beauty of the Maxima was it had no direct competition. It was placed above the typical family sedans such as the Camry, Accord, Taurus, Galant and so on, in size and or performance. In the past these manufacturers tried to compete with the Maxima by dropping V6s in them but the only one that came close was the Taurus SHO, but poor build quality was it's down fall. Now in recent years, not only does the Accord and Camry invade the Maxima's territory so does the Altima by being larger and packing more power making the Maxima do the same pushing it out of it's own market. Why else would you guys keep comparing it to the G35 and the TL. Which brings up another point, how could the I30/I35 and the Maxima survive together but a Nissan version of the G35 would cut into Infiniti sells any more than a successful selling Maxima would? As far as a 7th gen Maxima...the interior redesign of the Altima and the future release of the SE-R should tell you something.

Quick Reply: Is our favorite Max going to be a dinosaur?