General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Best pads for slotted rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Best pads for slotted rotors...

I just bought a full set of slotted Brembo rotors and was wondering what are the best pads for these rotors. Im thinking about Raybestos Quiet Stops or EBC green stuff pads. I am currently running Stillen cross/drilled rotors with Metal Axxis pads and they are squealing alot. I want something with less dust and no squealing. Can anybody with experience with this kind of setup help me out? BTW if it helps any imma 4th gen, THANX.

-WILL
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Old Maxima Legend

nismo, these brembos are gold right, i want to get some but didnt know about the gold color, you think after repeated breaking the gold will wear off ?

also do you have them yet, i wanted to make sure they are 9.8 lbs and same as stock dimensions.

sorry about the OT

link:

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaBrakePads
Old 04-30-2004, 09:52 PM
V^___^V

raybesto or OEM
Old 04-30-2004, 10:28 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i'd go with the ebc greenstuff, but if you can get the raybestos for cheaper... might as well go for those. not a considerable difference IMO

ceasar: i believe the stillen ones are gold plated, the brembos are usually zinc or cadmium (sp?) plated. They will wear off where the pad makes contact with the rotor. However everything else will stay the same.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IIRC:
cadmium = gold
zinc = silver
Old 05-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
nismo, these brembos are gold right, i want to get some but didnt know about the gold color, you think after repeated breaking the gold will wear off ?

also do you have them yet, i wanted to make sure they are 9.8 lbs and same as stock dimensions.

sorry about the OT

link:

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaBrakePads
The ones I got from the GD are zinc plated, before these thought I had the gold plated Stillen cross/drilled rotors and the gold plating wore off after a while. I did receive the rotors already and they are the same stock dimension, but they do weigh a bit more than stock (about 2-3 lbs more).
Old 05-01-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by NismoTam
I just bought a full set of slotted Brembo rotors and was wondering what are the best pads for these rotors. Im thinking about Raybestos Quiet Stops or EBC green stuff pads. I am currently running Stillen cross/drilled rotors with Metal Axxis pads and they are squealing alot. I want something with less dust and no squealing. Can anybody with experience with this kind of setup help me out? BTW if it helps any imma 4th gen, THANX.

-WILL
I have a 99 ES (5 speeds). I bought a set of zinc plated slotted only Brembo rotors via a GD last August. I installed a full set of PBR (same as Axxis) metal master to go with the rotors. There were a little bit of dust during the first month. But after break-in, very little dust. The pads squeaked a little when cold but quiet down once warmed up (2 to 3 braking). I am very happy with my setup so far.

Lo-Tse
Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM

I've used the Axxis pads on all my vehicles, either it be a daily driver beater or a weekend track car, and have never had squeeling problems. If you're having excessive noise, it's most likely due to improper installation and/or break-in of the pads.

If you decide to replace the current pads, make sure you apply sufficient brake grease on the shim and backside of the pads and clips. Also make sure to break in the pads properly to prevent any glazing or uneven wear.