General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Midas brakes suck

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Is Diagnostician even a real word? See what not going to college does to your brain. $500 tq wrench, sounds like a waste of money. Does that thing go to 1k ft/lbs?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:10 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
wow... just.... wow.
just wow...wow
first of all, Jeff was talking about *your* skill level to take your car to a Midas dealer and ahve them put ****ty parts on it. you should know better....
why should I know better, I worked on helicopters, last time I checked, they don't have brakes. (ok, there is actually a rotor brake, to finish stopping the rotor after they shut down, but it doesn't stop the helicopter. Anyway, I didn't work on brakes, I was an avionics tech. And as a Marine, I can't order different parts, I can only order the part in the book. I can't go and "mod" a 28 million dollar plane.
oh, and the college thing? forget that.. while the other kiddos are fretting loan repayments, i'm making 45k a year. AT 18 YEARS OLD..
I hope your putting some of it away..time is on your side, consider getting a financial advisor. If you have stable employment, you could be retired by the time your 45; if you do things right.
you don't need college to be a Technician/Diagnostician... you need experience.
experience will get you a decent job, but a degree can get you into upper levels of management when you have a little more maturity under your belt. Don't underestimate the power of BOTH experience and a degree.
oh, another thing, i'll have you know that you can request what parts you want on your car. Sure, you'll pay more, but you dont seem to care... you'd be foolish enough to take your car to a dealer anyway (unless you have that nice warranty thing... )
My new Maxima still has a warranty of course, but I don't think my 1998 Maxima was under 36,000 miles when I got the new brakes...But like my post says, I was looking for a cheap deal, and considering they came with a lifetime warranty, I didn't think it could be a bad deal...I later figured out it was.
For serious though... if you don't want to take time from the kid, have him with you. I'm sure glad my father did when i was 5... All of your excuses are just those: excuses.
my nine month old wasn't around 4 years ago. but for future reference, my wife doesn't want the 9 month old at the car shop with me...my plan for when he's five, is to have him in the garage with me when I'm modding my latest toy. Sitting in a waiting room at midas isn't my idea of quality time.
oh, dave b.... $500 bucks for all of that? where do you go? Harbor Freight? lol. Try $500 bucks for a torque wrench alone....
where are you buying a torque wrench were you have to drop $500?

-vq

Old 05-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

snap on, but lets not go there.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by Big D
Is Diagnostician even a real word? See what not going to college does to your brain. $500 tq wrench, sounds like a waste of money. Does that thing go to 1k ft/lbs?

taken from Dictionary.com:

di·ag·nos·ti·cian ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dg-n-stshn)
n.
A person who diagnoses, especially a physician specializing in medical diagnostics.
Yes, it's a word. However, I'm diagnosing vehicles with "that clicky noise in the steering wheel" or "every time I turn left, i hear this squeak. . . but it only happens coming out of my driveway". See what college does to your brain?

As for the torque wrench, here's one for $242.00 Click type too! Good price, actually. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

here's a Digital TechWrench for $899.00 1/2 in drive 50-250ft/lbs 1% accuracy...
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

How much would you like to spend? You get what you pay for in calibrated tools...
Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=VQMAN]a special thanks to Frank Fontaine and pearl99gxe

thanks for understanding the point I was trying to get across and not telling me how to spend my time.

I know what you are going through. With a Wife, a fifteen year old, a three year old and another due in July. It hard to make time for your self. Being a father, a husband, provider and doing house work Work. In between all that you are supposed to find time to excercise, relax or just have some time to your self. Who has time to do the basic maintenance on two cars.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:26 AM
is invisible

See what college does to your brain?

So basically you're trying to rip on anyone who attends/has attended/graduated from college?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Seperated at Birth?

nope... just a rebuttal.. thats all.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I miss the .org!

Midas just sucks...PERIOD.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:12 AM

i agree. my mom's 95 just got front brakes. i took it for a spin in order to bring them through a heatcycle and bed them. it didn't take too many stops to experience fade. i don't think i've experienced fade in my maxima or any of the subarus we have. midas pads are way too hard. they heat up really quick and the pedal goes soft. when i really stand on the brakes there's a period of uncertainty on when the vehicle will come to a complete stop. downright scary when driven the way i'd drive on a spirited run. anyway, they will suit my mom's driving style. i'd never get such generic crap on my car however.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:58 PM

900 bucks for a tq wrench....um thats ridiculous, my $50 one works very well for me..im sure you can get all that for under 500, i have yet to get an air compressior but ive got all the other things on his list...i like saving money too
Old 05-15-2004, 07:32 PM

Damn . . .the man was trying to warn as all to stay away from Midas, it doesn't matter if the reason his brakes suck is caused by the pad or the install job. . . he was just trying to let us know to stay away from them. He admitted he made a stupid move by going to Midas, what else do you want from the guy?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
Damn . . .the man was trying to warn as all to stay away from Midas, it doesn't matter if the reason his brakes suck is caused by the pad or the install job. . . he was just trying to let us know to stay away from them. He admitted he made a stupid move by going to Midas, what else do you want from the guy?
his head. on a silver platter.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by wunfstmax
900 bucks for a tq wrench....um thats ridiculous, my $50 one works very well for me..im sure you can get all that for under 500, i have yet to get an air compressior but ive got all the other things on his list...i like saving money too

who said it wasn't... i know it's a damn good wrench, but i wouldn't buy it. I'm getting the beam-type Snap-On wrench.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:12 PM
vqman

his head. on a silver platter.
too bad you can't catch me in you '89 Max...

-vq

Old 05-17-2004, 12:08 AM

maybe he cant, but I can
orrr I could let him use one of my cars

Ever driven a VG 5spd? They are fun to drive.

Besides, you still have a beam.....
I think this thread is done...
Old 05-17-2004, 02:14 AM
I miss the .org!

antontheghey
Previously, I thought it was uncalled for, but now I COMPLETELY understand why this clown was banned indefinitely from NWMAXIMA.com

(Sean, you need to upgrade your "friends" )
Old 05-17-2004, 05:27 AM
Way out West

You know, this is kind of a funny thread to me...

There are times when I just don't have the energy for the small stuff, but I can set aside time/energy for big projects.

The last time I needed brakes, I bought the best pads I could and paid the mechanic at Tire Factory $40 to install them. Yes, I could have done it myself, but bah...it's just $40. It was also November or December and kind of cold. The Pathfinder needed brake pads and that was that.

I think VQMan has a point. I have a job, my wife has a job, we have a house (*with a big yard, I might add -- work in itself) and a 3 year-old. Sometimes I don't feel like doing the little crap. I am not the best mechanic, but I figure stuff out if I take my time and use my brain.

Sometimes I am just a lazy f#ck and I go out to Denny's and buy a sandwich and some soup. I could stay home and make a sandwich and some soup, but I don't feel like it. Maybe I pay $10 at Denny's and the same **** costs $3 to make at home. Who cares, it's just money.

End of story.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:01 AM
is invisible

nope... just a rebuttal.. thats all.

Oh I see, a pointless rebuttal.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

this thread right here is why i'm not on the .org very much anymore.... sigh...