General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is God trying to tell me something??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Is God trying to tell me something??

I was working on my front brakes, basically putting in new hardware and shims. I get it all done and wrapped up. I start pumping the brake to pressurize the system and I hear a "pop" then a "woosh." I knew it, but I didn't want to believe it. I looked under the car and sure enough there was a puddle of brake fluid under my front right wheel; I had busted my brake line, my STAINLESS STEEL brake line. I couldn't believe it.

Luckily Pep Boys had a brake line, although not stainless, but I needed something. I went out and got it quick, by this time it's pushin 8PM. I get back and install it. I'm putting the last bolt on, the banjo bolt connected to the caliper, and as I torque it in the bolt snaps in half! I couldn't believe it...of all the luck.

So now I am stuck till the morning and crossing my fingers the local dealer has the banjo bolt. I'm wondering if God is trying to tell me something here. Maybe I shouldn't be driving anywhere tomorrow....

Hmmmmm....
Old 05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sucks on the brake line

Maybe you should invest in a torque wrench or use quarter inch drive stuff gorilla man

Also let someone else drive it for the first few miles

Old 05-18-2004, 08:13 PM
I love lamp.

heh Shawn, how you so sure he wasn't already using a torque wrench mopar monkey?

foodmanry...sucks to hear about your problem, best of luck tomorrow. Worst case scenario, you can take a banjo bolt out of the other side and go to an autoparts store and find a replacement if the dealer doesn't have it.

S
Old 05-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Sports Button FTW

this type of BS always happens to me. You think u gonna get a quick and easy install like everyone else then the dumbest things happens...sorry to hear about your problems man. BELIEVE ME, i know how you feel....
Old 05-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Dude...I was using a torque wrench. I torque all my NUTS and BOLTS. Just bad luck I suppose.

Good idea about taking it out the other side, didn't really think of that. Depends on if the dealer has it or not, then I'll take out the other one and go to an auto parts store.

Anyone else have a S/S line bust on them? I think Mingo has, but that's all I have heard. The other thing that blows is you can only buy the whole set of S/S lines.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I love lamp.

I never had a line burst on me, but it sounds like maybe some blockage in the line, or maybe a defective line all together. I'd take a close look at the rest of your lines to make sure they are in good condition.

S
Old 05-18-2004, 09:16 PM
brotherhood of tq

i would just fix ur car and let it sit for a couple of days cause i had something liek that happen where i got these signs from god and i ignored them... i was driving n a civic blew by me and i try to follow him and he stopped short and i wanted to go through the yellow and a cop was parked right at the corner and i had to slam on the brakes and back up so i dont run the red. then as im driving a cop car cuts me off and i even say that i think that god is giving me somekinda sign to go back home.... once i get onto the parkway a cop just hits me with alser and bam i get pulled over.

if i had only gone home after the first sign that i got.
will
Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Dude...I was using a torque wrench. I torque all my NUTS and BOLTS. Just bad luck I suppose.
Now that is scarey
Were you able to get the broken part of the bolt out?

Originally Posted by maximase86
I never had a line burst on me, but it sounds like maybe some blockage in the line, or maybe a defective line all together. I'd take a close look at the rest of your lines to make sure they are in good condition.
I would seriously hope it was just a defective line
Old 05-18-2004, 10:02 PM

when it RAINS it POURS......
Old 05-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Well actually it got bright after posting this and getting in touch with AuToMaX_95. He's the guy that is running the group deal on Brembo rotors, pads, and SS lines. I e-mailed him at 9:20PM or so letting him know my situation. He called me back about 30 minutes later and said he could bring the SS lines to me! He was about 45 minutes from where I live. I told him to drop it off at my girlfriends house cause she is closer, and since I felt bad I gave him more money than I was asking for. He really went out of his way for me. I picked up the lines from my gf's house in another car and installed a new line as soon as I got home. When all was said and done it was 1:20AM.

I am still very anxious with the brakes. I was being VERY cautious today on my drive to work. Tonight after class I plan on changing out the rest of the brake lines. Have a Vegas trip coming up,

I'll post pics of the line and bolt later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:19 AM

AuToMaX_95 is a GREAT seller....I bought all my brake stuff from him & he was VERY Prompt on delivery....
Old 05-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

After my incident I consider him to be one of the BEST,
Old 05-19-2004, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
I was working on my front brakes, basically putting in new hardware and shims. I get it all done and wrapped up. I start pumping the brake to pressurize the system and I hear a "pop" then a "woosh." I knew it, but I didn't want to believe it. I looked under the car and sure enough there was a puddle of brake fluid under my front right wheel; I had busted my brake line, my STAINLESS STEEL brake line. I couldn't believe it.

Luckily Pep Boys had a brake line, although not stainless, but I needed something. I went out and got it quick, by this time it's pushin 8PM. I get back and install it. I'm putting the last bolt on, the banjo bolt connected to the caliper, and as I torque it in the bolt snaps in half! I couldn't believe it...of all the luck.

So now I am stuck till the morning and crossing my fingers the local dealer has the banjo bolt. I'm wondering if God is trying to tell me something here. Maybe I shouldn't be driving anywhere tomorrow....

Hmmmmm....
Yes, God is telling he loves you by letting the brake line break with the car in the driveway and not out on the interstate.

Concerning using torque wrenches. It's important to develop a feel for how much torque it takes to break different sized bolts. This comes with many years of experience.

Sometimes using a torque wrench imparts a false sense of security, when in fact the wrench can be way out of calibration and under- or over-torquing bolts. You should always be careful when using clicker type torque wrenches at the low end of the torque setting. It's very easy for the wrench not to give an audible click and end up breaking a small bolt. That's why it's good to have a small torque wrench as well as a big one.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:42 AM

ugh I hate it when that type of crap happens

I got my SS lines from Automax_95 last October, they've worked like a charm... personally I'd suspect the crappy quality of the Pep Boys brake components... when I tightened the banjo bolts for the SS lines, they seemed pretty sturdy, and I tightened them pretty well by hand (not too tight, but probably tighter than stock) and they've held up.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I agree...the torque wrench I was using was not necessarily meant for the low torque at 15 ft. lbs. It's range is from 10 ft. lbs. to 80 ft. lbs. It's the breaker type that you feel it break when it reaches torque. So its hard to over torque, but if it's out of calibration then.....snap.

Of course it probably doesn't help that the banjo bolt was made of brass. The ones I got with the new SS lines were SS which is MUCH sturdier.

Anyone know where I can get a torque wrench checked for calibration????