General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VB Mod Opinions ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VB Mod Opinions ??

I'm getting my Valve Body mod on my tranny tomorrow and I'm just wondering what should I be expecting? I'm getting a Stage 2. Anybody have it that can tell me what they have experienced so far? I've heard it makes the car feel quicker but it's not yet at the same time I'm thinking if the car shifts quicker and firmer would it help it get to top end faster therefore making it a tad faster?
I hope I didn't just say something to get me ....lol
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21
I'm getting my Valve Body mod on my tranny tomorrow and I'm just wondering what should I be expecting? I'm getting a Stage 2. Anybody have it that can tell me what they have experienced so far? I've heard it makes the car feel quicker but it's not yet at the same time I'm thinking if the car shifts quicker and firmer would it help it get to top end faster therefore making it a tad faster?
I hope I didn't just say something to get me ....lol
i have the stage 3 which shifts a little harder but theres no lag in between the shifts. it does make the car a little faster, i think about a tenth of a second in the 1/4.but its mainly to protect the tranny from burning out the clutch from dragging into gear. i would recommend the tranny cooler if you plan on running it hard or with boost. its a excellent mod for the auto.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:18 PM

So how do you like it? Does stage 3 chirps the wheels when you shift? I'm glad to hear the lag goes away. That was really my main reason on getting this. To take good care of my tranny.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:45 PM

So how do you like it? Does stage 3 chirps the wheels when you shift? I'm glad to hear the lag goes away. That was really my main reason on getting this. To take good care of my tranny.
the difference between the two stages is stage 3 shifts more aggressive and very noticeable. i would reccomend stage 2 if you dont have forced induction cause it wont be needed and it shifts hard. i would have preferred stage 2 but im pushing over 300hp and i didnt want to damage my tranny.and yes 2nd gear will chirp a little easier than with stock v.b.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Im izz sexay

Tell me how much it costed you because I am going to NY to get my VB done. I'm doing stage 2.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by turdlett
Tell me how much it costed you because I am going to NY to get my VB done. I'm doing stage 2.
i think i paid about 450 with the b&m tranny cooler from maximumtuning.
this is the number-516-676 8470 ask for jeff. it only took him about a hour.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:45 AM

Cmax, how hard does your tranny shift with the stage 3. I am trying to get one with in the next couple weeks but the problem is i drive my car everyday. Does the hard shift occur only when giving it significant amount of throttle or does the hard shifting occur all the time(ie stop and go traffic).

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Cmax, how hard does your tranny shift with the stage 3. I am trying to get one with in the next couple weeks but the problem is i drive my car everyday. Does the hard shift occur only when giving it significant amount of throttle or does the hard shifting occur all the time(ie stop and go traffic).

Thanks
Chris
its not that bad you get used to it after a while. its only second gear that kicks in hard only if you stop accelerating. if your giving it gas it feels real good like your driving a stick but if you take your foot off the gas before it switches it jumps into gear.personally i love it especially when im racing, very strong pull in second like a surge. i drive it everyday
cause my daughter who is 4 likes the max better than my lexus. she loves the speed (genetic trait) plus my girl is scared of it so she drives the lexus and im stuck with the max . p.s. plus 14 secs @ 102.5 in the 1/4 makes it lovable too.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
its not that bad you get used to it after a while. its only second gear that kicks in hard only if you stop accelerating. if your giving it gas it feels real good like your driving a stick but if you take your foot off the gas before it switches it jumps into gear.personally i love it especially when im racing, very strong pull in second like a surge. i drive it everyday
cause my daughter who is 4 likes the max better than my lexus. she loves the speed (genetic trait) plus my girl is scared of it so she drives the lexus and im stuck with the max . p.s. plus 14 secs @ 102.5 in the 1/4 makes it lovable too.

aaaaaaaah point taken
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM

I just got back from Jeff's..............OMG !! I friggin love it. It shifts so firmly and quick now. Even chirps a lil in 2nd gear!! You feel it nicely with stage 2.....Wonder what stage 3 feels like???
Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 AM

I just got back from Jeff's..............OMG !! I friggin love it. It shifts so firmly and quick now. Even chirps a lil in 2nd gear!! You feel it nicely with stage 2.....Wonder what stage 3 feels like???
dang that was quick. yeh jeff is the man no one else touches my car but him. isn't it lovely? wait till you start running thats when it really feels good and you know its money well spent. congrats!. stage three is the same thing just shifts a tad bit quicker but you will be very happy with stage 2.