General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Silly Question! But what types of looks do you get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Always sunny in philly

For those that "turn their heads" most likely its either the rims or paint job. There aren't many nicely modded maximas around here, but many still see our cars as "family car" material. eh....who knows
Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Play with my balls

good car color
Old 05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My max gets looks alot, by people of all ages. Even get people straining there heads to look as they go by, specially when its freshly waxed. I find it kinda funny. Its dropped, shaved, clears, and well its a AE...lol
Old 06-01-2004, 06:41 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i get:
" Look at that punk in that maxima !"
" He must think that car is fast, lol ! "
" Why would anyone modify the exterior of a grocery getter, ricer ? "
" Look at that maxima, I would love to destroy that guy in my teg !"

-tales of a sleeper
Old 06-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Play with my balls

not knowing is half the battle!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:11 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

inverse G.I.Joe!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:05 AM

I get my fair share of stairs. It seems that mostly middle aged guys just plain stare at my wheels, not sure but seems pretty funny. To my suprise hardly anyone tries to race me. I guess my max just looks like a family grocery go getter so they don't bother
Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
i get:
" Look at that punk in that maxima !"
" He must think that car is fast, lol ! "
" Why would anyone modify the exterior of a grocery getter, ricer ? "
" Look at that maxima, I would love to destroy that guy in my teg !"

-tales of a sleeper
your no sleeper my friend........
Old 06-01-2004, 02:47 PM

I only get compliments and admiring looks when driving my spanking new Max off from the dealer's showroom still with the moroney (spelling?) sheet pasted on the rear passenger window :-) I should have kept it on .... may be next time.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:20 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I get the, "Wow! I didn't know they had that stuff for Maxima's" look.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:05 PM

With a modded max:

"Look, another ricer with a stupid, obnoxious exhaust and clear corners stuck on mommy's grocery getter. He must think he's fast, haha!"

Now back to stock, I get nothing. But the '00 Z28 I bought last week however... now real cars are trying to run me. Smoked my neighbors 350z just this morning...
Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM

The 91 wasn't intimidating enough, Not many looks when I had the 93. But with the 02 Bone Stock I have people walk up to me in a parking lot while I'm standing next to it and they just start talking about how much they like these cars... When Im driving I always see girls trying to see who's inside.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:38 PM

for some reason, all younger asian people look at my car. not to be racist about it or anything, just stating what I see. it's pretty funny.

other than that, I get some looks because my car sits fairly lower in the front than a stock maxima (sprints). that combined with no front plate (not common in NY because it's illegal) sometimes prompts people to ask me how much I paid for the aftermarket front end. they always get funny looks on their faces when I tell them it's stock.

anyone who knows about maximas compliments my tail lights.

everyone looks when they hear intake coming down the block.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Offset Is Everything.

haha no one looks at mine cuz it looks like everyone elses, except for a mild drop and intake. they turn their heads when i WOT it past them.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:09 AM

"ur dad's car is nice" or whenever i drop my sister off at school i get "sir, you'll need to drop off your daughter over there".
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Blown

Usually pointing followed by:

-for the fourth gen: "is that a skyline", "I have never seen a turbo maxima before" (talking about my injen intake), "how much did it cost to get imported"

--in general people have no clue what my car is....a cop told me I had a nice paint job one time.....after he wrote me a speeding ticket.

-for the second gen: "you cant polish a terd"(after I put my CAI in), "why did you spend more on your rims than you did the car?" (my reply: "I am also putting rims on my lawn mower "

---and for people who actually appreiciate the 87: I usually just get comments on how clean it is
Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I get people peeping my rims all the time. Rims seem to be the real determinig factor, since eeeeveryyyyboooodddyyyy needs to know what kind of rims every other car on the road has.

As I was driving home from work Friday with the system slamming, nice day, this teenage girl in a big group stood up and was like, "woooooo!" and waving as I went by. Given that I'm 26 and living with my girlfriend of 6+ years, that's the kind of validation that I really appreciate.

EDIT: I raced this older Max one time when I still had the midpipe on. Both times I wasn't really trying to take off fast and only hit the gas after it was obvious he was getting on it. My car would be quiet then ROAR when I got on the gas and passed him. We did this twice and both times the girl in his passenger seat was in hysterics. I don't know if it was the sudden intake roar followed by me passing him, or what, but that intake seemed to draw a lot of attention...way more than the exhaust. If I can ever get a flex section that fits it so I won't have to use a ghetto-*** reducer I'm putting it back on.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gsilk
whenever i see a max approaching me, especially 5 gens i always look for maxima.org stickers and clear corners. i havent seen either. most people i see driving 5 gens aren't close to my age
yeap pretty much agree with that guy.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:19 PM

usually i get the, oh mom let you take her car out tonight huh? maybe that will change with the addition of the wheels if i ever get them on but who knows.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:54 PM
SuPeRmOd

Deer in headlights looks, their mouths are gaping open but are unable to formulate words???
Old 06-11-2004, 06:15 PM

hehe you guys get alot of great looks. I had a recent incident that made me laugh so hard. me and a few friend went fishing at the state park and on the way out of the dock i squeeled the wheels a little bit. Well at the stop sign i turned left and then i saw johnny law! he flipped on his lights and pointed at my friend in his 94 Blazer. My friend got pulled over by the park ranger for me lighting them up. The officer told my friend that there was no way a littler car like that (the max) could do that. He didnt do anything he just gave him a lecture. Once i heard this i couldnt stop laughing. I was so happy that the 5.0 didnt think the grocery getter could do that!

Well beside that i get a lot of looks. I guess its the black with black tint and shinny wheels. Out on the road alot of cars give me looks. Many ricers pull up and wanna race but then get blow away real quick. I think alot of people as amazed on how well the max can handle. I love seening people look quick then whip back there head to see what it was. Many people stare at the wheels at the light too. Lastly the intake... hehe u gotta love the frankencar. So many poeple think its an exhaust. It actually is louder then my girlfriends brothers exhaust. Well i love the max.

Sean
Old 06-11-2004, 07:51 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

w/ girls, I get looks from them like "love your max"
Old 06-12-2004, 07:46 PM

---ah..I did not know they came in stick shift -- from some Chevy Cavalier Ricemobiller..
Old 06-13-2004, 12:33 AM

I usually get the "wtf!?!?" comments when people ask how old the car is, especially when they find out the car has 168k on it. Alot of people ask me if it's a 91, and I shake my head, smile and say "no, she's an '89." That usually raises their eyebrows. I get the "nice paint", "Nice looking car" and "wow that interior is clean as hell for an '89" kind of stuff.I do get comments on my car's headunit (Pioneer FH-P4400) and speaker quality too (Pioneer Premier TS-605 rear TS-606 front; 6.5's all round).Not much to gawk about at a stock 3rd gen, but the comments are usually respectful.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:51 AM

I get a lot of looks from girls, especially at red lights and stuff. I've only had it for 8 days, and all my friends who have seen it have said it was very very nice. One of my friends said he heard two other kids talking about it and how phat it is. I get the biggest compliments about the wood trim interior.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:10 AM

I've only had a older-set lady asked me how my keyless entry has such far of a range.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:18 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Long range my @ss. My keyless doesn't work unless I'm licking the d@mn car. Brand new battery and remote. WTF? I like the look and comment, "You just beat me in my early 90's Camaro. What kinda super are you running?"
Old 06-13-2004, 04:36 PM

People ALWAYS stare at my car at lights, and I stare right back. I think they think that if they look long enough they can see in... (5% Tint All around)

I hardly ever roll down my windows, to talk to someone. Unless they're like hanging out their windows or somthing.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:27 AM
CaLSoNiC

I usually get the "WTF I just got raped by a family sedan look" other than that it's the "WTF kinda car is that, that thing was loud as hell!"
hehe.
Non resonated cat-back with a y-pipe is the trick

Old 06-14-2004, 05:37 AM

Surprising, my keyless has insane range. I can not even see the car and be able to unlock it clear across a parking lot.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:07 AM
THT
Throbbing member

I think someone else touched on this but people start to look around when my windows roll themselves down lol Otherwise, the impression most people get from my car is that it's a clean looking sedan. What they don't know is that I'm putting out a good bit of extra power because almost all of my modifications are performance oriented.

~THT
Old 06-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Play with my balls

moreso by reading here, i'm beginning to think that you guys get the majority of positive looks by your max being either modded appearance wise or performance wise..........that's pretty sweet.....the one's i've gotten so far are probably cause it's black on black, with the titanium package.......which is cool too...
Old 06-14-2004, 08:28 AM
THT
Throbbing member

I've always been of the philosophy "Go fast, look slow" because I like nothing more than surprising people who try to screw me in certain situations like merging...you know, the ones that try to cut you off or box you in while attempting to merge, change lanes, etc...the buttholes of the road.

~THT
Old 06-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
Surprising, my keyless has insane range. I can not even see the car and be able to unlock it clear across a parking lot.
Mine had extremely long range also, about 250-275feet. I could even lock/unlock the car outside and I'm inside on the otherside of the house. Must be a 5th gen thing
Old 06-14-2004, 08:11 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I totally missed that you were 5th gen. Forgot this was in the general forum. That makes since then. Anyone else have terrible range after replacing everything but the brain of the keyless?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:42 PM
VQ Disciple

For some reason i tend to look at every Max that i past

But i always get looks no matter what i'm driving ( i guess its the way i'm positioned in the car).
When i drive my 89 alot of people don't believe its a 89. And my 89 was and still is a chick magnet, but as for now i'll be rollin in a 95 and see if i get any different looks.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:05 PM

many dont even care, but for those who are car enthusiasts usually looks at my car, then looks away when i look at them, then they look again haha.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:57 PM

A friend told me a few days ago that while he was at a party, some guy approached him and asked him if he drove a maxima, which he does. However the guy went on to ask if it had a burnt out tail light. My friend went on to say no, but a friend of mine does (me).

The kid went on to say wow and how fast my car was, lol. The funny thing is I've never really raced anyone around here and crap. I still need to change that bulb . Just thought it was funny.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:35 AM

some of the best comments come from my girlfriend.

whenever I floor it, to merge on the parkway or whatever, I see her stiffen up and grab her seat. last night she did it and I laughed at her, so she said,
"you know I wouldn't mind how fast you drove if your car didn't make that NOISE! it scares the **** out of me!" (referring to intake)

Old 06-16-2004, 12:49 AM

Not to be racial or anything but I've noticed upon moving to LA that Mexicans really dig my car.

Quick Reply: Silly Question! But what types of looks do you get?