General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Thinking about bringing 2K2 max to Korea

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 07:12 AM

Thinking about bringing 2K2 max to Korea

I am moving back to Korea and I am thinking about bringing my max to Korea. Some things I am concerned is service, because there is no maxima's in Korea. Also the headaches of shipping it there and registering it. But I would be one the only one with a fully loaded max. Or I have to sell my car, and I lose out because I am going into my third year of financing out of 5 years.

Anyone have a similiar situation as me that can give some advice?
Old 06-05-2004, 07:24 AM

I think you should really go to talk to other people that have went through the same headaches. This is not really the site to ask that as i don't know of many people who wanted a genuwine Cifero so much they actually imported it. You could find something if you looked up the Skyline, they could tell you better about all the hidden costs and cost of transporting/registering, etc.

LEMAR
Old 06-05-2004, 07:28 AM

I'm pretty sure ur gonna go through a lot of hassle especially with the Tax and registering and shipping. I know this hyung that I know was about to take his twin turbo charged 300zx to korea and the total amount he had to spend to jus to get to the country run him about 10G's and than u'll hav to go through the registering and everything.......good luck and hope everything works out for u so that u'll drive the one and only Nissan Maxima instead of Samsung's SM5.......
Old 06-05-2004, 08:10 AM

I think you can avoid the heavy tax, if the car is brought in for only for temporarily for foreign people who will live in Korea for under business Visa. But that means shipping the car out of the country again, which is another headache. Woo choo, you are right, Maxima is way better than SM5. I will have to think about this carefully.

By the way, I have seen some 300ZX in Korea. But they were right hand driven, which means, they were probably imported from Japan.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
I think you should really go to talk to other people that have went through the same headaches. This is not really the site to ask that as i don't know of many people who wanted a genuwine Cifero so much they actually imported it. You could find something if you looked up the Skyline, they could tell you better about all the hidden costs and cost of transporting/registering, etc.

LEMAR

he wanted to export his to korea, not import one.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:36 AM

For the money that you are going to be spending for shipping/registration, process. and the Effort! I'm telling you its not worth it. Now if you had a Limited Edition Ferrari, or a Classic American Muscle car of some kind, then its a different story.

Just buy a new car, when you get back to Korea.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:48 PM

Hmm a Samsung car? I heard about them but never seen one of those cars.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:46 AM

Nissan does not exist in Korea as far as I know (not sure why, maybe something to do with a grudge from WW2?). So, if your car ever broke down, you may have problems finding someone who would know how to fix it.

On the other hand though, you'd stand out from the crowd Just like the very small few who have imported a Hummer (!) from the US to here in NZ lol.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Samsung has the contract to build "Nissan Maxima's" in Korea. They look very similar, I don't know if they use the same parts, or if Samsung produces it's own parts from spec sheets from Nissan.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:49 PM

first thing to do is check with customs and their fees, which might vary on displacement , and the year of the car.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:30 PM

Then they would steal it quicker than u brought it there.....
Old 06-18-2004, 03:20 PM

Like you said, it'll probably be too much of a headache importing and exporting your Max back n forth. Try something new over there..
Old 06-19-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

scrap the max and pick up an SM5 over there.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:13 AM

You can make a SH!TLOAD of money selling center consoles, taillights, steering wheels from the Samsung SMS in Korea and shipping them to the US for sale for us 4th Gen guys.

<I have experience Importing MEVI's - PM me if interested and we'll talk.>

IanS
Old 06-21-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
Nissan does not exist in Korea as far as I know (not sure why, maybe something to do with a grudge from WW2?). So, if your car ever broke down, you may have problems finding someone who would know how to fix it.

On the other hand though, you'd stand out from the crowd Just like the very small few who have imported a Hummer (!) from the US to here in NZ lol.
I've personally seen a r34 skyline at Yonsei university when i was over there 4 years ago....
Old 06-21-2004, 04:48 PM

Yeah, would have been an import from Japan
Old 06-22-2004, 04:40 AM

The amount you'll lose by selling the thing at a loss here due to still owing a good bit on it will be dwarfed many times over by the buckets of cash you'll need to successfully import this. There is a reason why so few cars are imported into countries in this manner - it's VERY expensive.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:31 PM

Your best chance to find out the real costs envolved will be to talk with an importer/exporter. Preferably with experience in dealing with Korea and automobiles, although the 2 can be unrelated.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by iansw
You can make a SH!TLOAD of money selling center consoles, taillights, steering wheels from the Samsung SMS in Korea and shipping them to the US for sale for us 4th Gen guys.

<I have experience Importing MEVI's - PM me if interested and we'll talk.>

IanS

Ian, your car is the effing HAWTNESS! Looks good bro. Now go put some real pimp tint on that bish.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Ha tampa - the cops are VERY hardcore in Seattle about tint. I'm already at the legal limit. At least 4 people I know have gotten tint tickets around here.
Damned fascists.

That pic is somewhat lightened for detail also.

here is the actual pic:
http://www.cyberhub.net/meets/4-17-0.../photo0009.jpg

And here's my favotire pic of all the pics I have.
http://www.cyberhub.net/meets/4-17-0.../photo0014.jpg
Old 06-23-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
The amount you'll lose by selling the thing at a loss here due to still owing a good bit on it will be dwarfed many times over by the buckets of cash you'll need to successfully import this. There is a reason why so few cars are imported into countries in this manner - it's VERY expensive.
Yes - but importing parts is fairly cheap.

Shipping for MEVI's for instance from Bahrain is only about $2 per kg (a MEVI weighs 11kg).

IanS
Old 06-27-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by iansw
Ha tampa - the cops are VERY hardcore in Seattle about tint. I'm already at the legal limit. At least 4 people I know have gotten tint tickets around here.
Damned fascists.

That pic is somewhat lightened for detail also.

here is the actual pic:
http://www.cyberhub.net/meets/4-17-0.../photo0009.jpg

And here's my favotire pic of all the pics I have.
http://www.cyberhub.net/meets/4-17-0.../photo0014.jpg

Bro, edit out the shipping container in the back ground, darken it up hald way between where your at now and the original and you have a front page mag photo!!! If you can throw some grass in place of the pavement that would set it off all that much more, but might be to hard to do and still look real. Nice none the less.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:36 AM

If you have the money take it... I would.. I mean think about it.. a 255hp american maxima would tear it up against those hundaiys (however you spell it) and KIAs...

Originally Posted by jsohn
I am moving back to Korea and I am thinking about bringing my max to Korea. Some things I am concerned is service, because there is no maxima's in Korea. Also the headaches of shipping it there and registering it. But I would be one the only one with a fully loaded max. Or I have to sell my car, and I lose out because I am going into my third year of financing out of 5 years.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:40 AM

Jsohn,

Shipping to Korea is no fun. I've shipped vehicles to Korea, Japan, and Germany.
Each country has a specific requirements for you to send any vehicle. For
example in Japan, only 1978 or older vehicles can be exported their. In Germany
they have more stringent on standards then the U.S. The fees and alike will be
more expensive than you are willing to pay. Unless you're in the military exporting into any country will be costly. Once you get the car into the
country it'll be painful to get it out because U.S. will make sure you are bringing
in a U.S. spec. car into the country. My advice to you is leave with a trusted
family member like I did numerous times or sell it outright. But before you do
anything do some research. Talked to either U.S. Consular or State Department.
Good luck

Mike

Originally Posted by jsohn