General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

mzmtg intake pipe review >>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got my upper intake pipe made by mzmtg today. It came with everything needed to put the kit in. The rubber couplers, two hoses and the pipe itself. You have to reuse the stock hose clamps. Impressions. The pipe is welded nicely. BUT, there were burrs and loose looking metal pieces. You don't want that in your intake! So I took some time with a screw driver and knocked off the loose pieces of metal. Probably from the drilling. After cleaning the piece.. It was time to install. Everything is very straight forward. If you installed a intake before. This is easy. It was a little hard to get the box off the MAF sensor. But after prying for a while. It came off. The hoses that were supplied didn't fit well on the end that went into the pipe. But fit quite snug on the side that fit into the car. My solution was to wrap electrical tape around the metal tubes comming out of the pipe to make the hoses fit better. Problem solved. There is a little hose that has no port on the new intake pipe. I was told I could leave it dangling. So I did. Left it ziptied to another hose. Kit installed.. Time for a drive..

At idle you won't hear much of a difference. During normal driving, with the radio off. I could hear a little whistle that seemed to come from the intake. The intake sounded throatier. Made the engine sound bigger. Just imagine the normal pop charger intake sound.. but a little deeper and slightly louder. Still won't bother you with the radio on. I didn't feel a loss of torque. Maybe even gained a pound or two. Not sure about that one. Romped it a little to about 4K. The intake sound is pretty different now. Definitely sounds different. Not sure if it pulls harder or not though. Feels like it. Took it on to the highway. I floored it on the on ramp. And I didn't get to pay attention to the speedo or the tach that much. Why? I was amazed at the sound!!!

Whats strange is.. when the car is parked and I rev the engine with the throttle cable. I hear a strange sound comming from the MAF sensor. Like something is moving back and forth with the suction. No MIL light or anything though. I'm happy with this mod.

ZuM
Old 03-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Glad you like it. I have no idea what that noise you hear from the MAF could be. Mine doesnt do that. As for the hoses fitting onto the pipe itself, I just crank the hose clamps way down and they fit fine.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:33 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Any of you other guys that got them...feel free to chime in here...
Old 03-28-2001, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Any of you other guys that got them...feel free to chime in here...
Give me some time and ill order one to review Need time to collect that many dimes..
Old 03-28-2001, 09:54 PM

INTAKE PIPE

I order the pipe and I got to say I love how the intake sound when you floor it. Much louder!. It makes the engine look real clean. I show my mechanic and he was quite impress! Those of you who wants to get rid of that black box should get this.
Old 05-04-2001, 01:14 AM
OG :)

A pic request

Works with OSCAI? Pics would help, be very sweet