General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ººººNew Speed Detection Technology not Detected by RadarDetectors???ºººº

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
PLEASE all of you throw out your radar detectors...they're worthless junk.

Means more suckers to keep the cops busy, while I fly on by.
After watching my buddy run radar I won't waste my money on one. They only work ONLY when the radar (mobile or hand held) is activated. Alot of times my buddy would have his radar in his patrol vehicle turned off until he see's a car coming up fast and then he turns it on really fast and locks it in. You're screwed at that point. If I speed I just make sure I am around other cars. If they're using a regular radar it's pretty hard to pick a car out unless you're screaming by cars which is dumb anyways. If I am by myself on the road I tend to stick closer to the speed limit. I don't intend on buying one anytime soon. I know it sounds lame but if you don't want a ticket don't speed.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:42 PM

What's the deal with cardomain??? One day my pics work and two days they don't.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:03 PM

I have a Whistler 1785, have had no problems with it at all...ive had it save my butt from laser, Ka, and K band on several occasions...and ususally its not just me, its my friends too. We were caravaning back from a car show (5 cars: im the 2nd car in line) We were all going about...70 ish in a 55....My K-Band goes off...so i flash my high-beams..we all slowed down to the speed limit..1.3 miles later we pass 2 cops shooting radar sitting side-by-side...so, i would not even begin to consider to call my whistler radar detector junk. A few weekends ago...i was going WAY to fast on the interstate...and managed to slow down to 55 before he got my speed. I know there are LOTS and LOTS of better radar-detectors on the market, but for bang for your buck I STRONGLY believe the Whistler 1785 cannot be beat. The only down to this detector is its Ka band detecton....from what ive read Ka is harder to detect from further away, and the Whistlers detector just cant cut it for me....ill let you guys know how i like the Passport 8500 X50 when it comes in ;-)
Old 06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

People, dont waste your time on detectors. If a cop wants you, hes got you. No radar detector will always save you. My radar has been tested by a low-end, less than police issue speed detector and my radar failed to even pick up the radar most of the time. I dont waste my time with radar detectors, i just stay within 5-10mph of the speed limit...

-eric
Old 06-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Old Timer

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
strange that they're all on X band there...

here in TX, I've seen X, K, Ka, and Laser all within five miles of each other. the cops will stand in the median on the busy highways and gun people down.
We use K, Ka, and Laser here in Huntsville, TX. I love the Laser. I like how I can gun down a car in one lane, and the detector in the car next to it never goes off. Hey Matt. What's up?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
People, dont waste your time on detectors. If a cop wants you, hes got you. No radar detector will always save you. My radar has been tested by a low-end, less than police issue speed detector and my radar failed to even pick up the radar most of the time. I dont waste my time with radar detectors, i just stay within 5-10mph of the speed limit...

-eric
While I agree with you to stay 5-10 over, detectors are not a waste of time. It only takes 1-2 saves to get your money back.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Charcoal95GXE
I have a Whistler 1785, have had no problems with it at all...ive had it save my butt from laser, Ka, and K band on several occasions...and ususally its not just me, its my friends too. We were caravaning back from a car show (5 cars: im the 2nd car in line) We were all going about...70 ish in a 55....My K-Band goes off...so i flash my high-beams..we all slowed down to the speed limit..1.3 miles later we pass 2 cops shooting radar sitting side-by-side...so, i would not even begin to consider to call my whistler radar detector junk. A few weekends ago...i was going WAY to fast on the interstate...and managed to slow down to 55 before he got my speed. I know there are LOTS and LOTS of better radar-detectors on the market, but for bang for your buck I STRONGLY believe the Whistler 1785 cannot be beat. The only down to this detector is its Ka band detecton....from what ive read Ka is harder to detect from further away, and the Whistlers detector just cant cut it for me....ill let you guys know how i like the Passport 8500 X50 when it comes in ;-)
Come up 95, 66 or 81 towards NOVA. VG2 is in full force in many areas. I know, I got caught with a cheaper detector.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Check out this write up about avoiding speeding tickets. Its great advice, and good for a laugh or two.

http://www.ehowa.com/mythoughts/nospeeding.shtml

i must disagree with things in that article. i've been driving for 8-9 year and have been pulled over 30-40 times maybe more. i was taken to jail maybe 6-7 times. i have 1 DUI on record........and some things are not what i experienced. YES, many things there are very true.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:27 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Kolyan
i've been driving for 8-9 year and have been pulled over 30-40 times maybe more. i was taken to jail maybe 6-7 times. i have 1 DUI on record........
you need to seek professional help
Old 06-23-2004, 09:59 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by Kolyan
i must disagree with things in that article. i've been driving for 8-9 year and have been pulled over 30-40 times maybe more. i was taken to jail maybe 6-7 times. i have 1 DUI on record........and some things are not what i experienced. YES, many things there are very true.

you are the reason why my insurance is so high, @sses just like you....DUI, you shouldn't even have a licenses. You probably didn't spend enough time in jail to learn your lesson if you've been 6-7 times.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM
V^___^V

i don't even turn on my radar detector these days cuz i drive speed limit.

i am a good chinese boi
Old 06-23-2004, 01:06 PM

It's too bad they didn't do a straight line test with the cop car facing the same direction as the traffic flow. So basically he's shooting cars as they pass. My V1 gave me very little warning until I saw the cop cars as$ which at that point was too late.

It's one thing when the radar beams are being fired towards you from miles away and another when they are being fired away from you, and so basically the only thing your radar can detect is the gun itself and maybe some returning radar waves.

After that $900 dollar ticket I don't speed anymore.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:14 PM

Once again, common sense should prevail. There are so many people using EZ Pass in the northeast, I believe the system should issue tix based on the avg speed between entry and exit. Within reason--if the limit is 65, then an avg. of >81 from one point to another = fine. Get a ticket by a trooper in-between, that's separate and additional. The EZ Pass tix would simply be money, not points. So 82 mph = roughly $250 for 1st offense. There's simply too much funny business going on. I'm liberal but I have my limits, way too many kids are getting clipped by hit-and-run drivers here in Philly, and the ACLU says red-light cameras are a violation of a criminal's rights. People who put those gray covers on their plates so they can't be read should be automatic revocation of license and reggie. Good thing there are sensible states like DC, VA, and most Canadian provinces when it comes to laser/radar detectors. The rest of the US should follow suit.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:34 PM
wat

I currently have a clean record, mainly because I know the areas where the cops like to hang out with the speed traps. BUT, I recently purchased a X50 for the following reasons:

1) On road trips, unfamiliar areas make it impossible to know when theres gonna be a cop

2) On blind turns, you wont know if theres a cop there (got lucky once on that one)

3) If its dark out, and the cop is smart, you wont even see him

So really I agree about staying within 5-10mph over the limit, but a radar detector is just a second way of keeping a clean record clean. I cant take a chance at getting a ticket, the X50 was worth $235. One ticket will = Hundreds more a year on insurance.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by alicious
you are the reason why my insurance is so high, @sses just like you....DUI, you shouldn't even have a licenses. You probably didn't spend enough time in jail to learn your lesson if you've been 6-7 times.
how am i the reason YOUR insurance is high? My insurance is less the a $100 a month full coverage. And apparently i DO have licenses and i AM a good driver....i just don't give a **** about the stupid law. many "speed limit" signs are NOT there for a reason of safety, but simple for the state to collect money. DUI law IS stupid also (doing DUI is wrong). It is also made to collect money ! there are many other ways to almost completely avoid DUI. I told the same thing to cops AND EVEN THEY AGREED TO THAT.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
you need to seek professional help

that's what the gramma judge once said at court when i was pulled over for doing 90 in 65. and yet all state cops drive home doing at least 90 just because they can. do they need profesional help also?