General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Daniel B. need help engine starts to putter after...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 11:53 AM

Hi there guys, I'm having problems with my engine. I just got back from Arizona and was crusing home and then my engine shuts off. I started the car again and then the car did not want to accelerate. I pulled over to the shoulder and clean the intake port and it was a little sludgee. After that, i got to acclerate more, but not more than 68 mph. After driving a little bit, engine light went on and still putters if i go over 70 and engine turns off if i idle to slow such as a stop light. (note:I floored the gas and car would not go or engine RPM did not rise about 2000RPM) Please help?
Old 03-29-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by nizmolee
Hi there guys, I'm having problems with my engine. I just got back from Arizona and was crusing home and then my engine shuts off. I started the car again and then the car did not want to accelerate. I pulled over to the shoulder and clean the intake port and it was a little sludgee. After that, i got to acclerate more, but not more than 68 mph. After driving a little bit, engine light went on and still putters if i go over 70 and engine turns off if i idle to slow such as a stop light. (note:I floored the gas and car would not go or engine RPM did not rise about 2000RPM) Please help?
You said "engine light went on". Is that a reference to the Service Engine Soon light? If so, the Diagnostic Trouble Codes stored in the Engine Control Module (the computer) are valuable clues. Get someone to do a DTC readout, or do it yourself. You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

The DTC "translations" are found at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html
Old 03-29-2001, 07:20 PM

few more questions

I went to get a diag. said engine electrical diag. engine idle missing!!
*Find out code # P0100 Mass air flow sensor problems!!

Thats what my receipt says, i dont think there is a problem with my MAF sensor. This is like the third time this has happened since i installed my intake. I have taken it to the dealer and they have reset the ECU, and the service engine soon light has disappeared. Is this a common problem when having an aftermarket intake? Thanks Daniel
Old 03-29-2001, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Re: few more questions

what intake are you using? its not that tornado air is?

Thats what my receipt says, i dont think there is a problem with my MAF sensor. This is like the third time this has happened since i installed my intake. I have taken it to the dealer and they have reset the ECU, and the service engine soon light has disappeared. Is this a common problem when having an aftermarket intake? Thanks Daniel
Old 03-29-2001, 07:47 PM

Re: Re: few more questions

Originally posted by SprintMax
what intake are you using? its not that tornado air is?

Took out the tornado, using an akimoto air ram cone filter. similar to the SI. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 03-30-2001, 04:26 AM

Re: few more questions

A problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor could account for all your symptoms. When the Engine Control Unit detects a MAFS problem it goes into Fail Safe mode and limits engine speed to 2400 rpm.

There have been reports of MAFS difficulty with aftermarket intakes. In some cases the problem turned out to be a botched installation rather than a defective intake.

I suggest you go back to the stock intake for a two-week test period. That will help to distinguish between a genuinely "sick" MAFS and a problem arising from the intake.
Old 03-30-2001, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: few more questions

ither that or stop being a rebel doing all these different intakes and just take one that is proven to work on Maxima's (ie. JWT Pop Charger, Stillen Hi-Flo, or Place Racing Cold Air Intake)

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
A problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor could account for all your symptoms. When the Engine Control Unit detects a MAFS problem it goes into Fail Safe mode and limits engine speed to 2400 rpm.

There have been reports of MAFS difficulty with aftermarket intakes. In some cases the problem turned out to be a botched installation rather than a defective intake.

I suggest you go back to the stock intake for a two-week test period. That will help to distinguish between a genuinely "sick" MAFS and a problem arising from the intake.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:43 AM

botched intake

I ordered the placeracing intake but it hasnt arrived b/c they are outta stock. Thank you for your help Daniel. All I need to do is reset the "service engine soon light". This would be the same instructions as you posted earlier correct? Just turn it clockwise till it stops for 2 sec. and then turn it counterclockwise and this should reset the yellow service light? Just wanted to make sure b 4 i take out anything.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:55 AM

SES reset

I ordered the placeracing intake but it hasnt arrived b/c they are outta stock. Thank you for your help Daniel. All I need to do is reset the "service engine soon light". This would be the same instructions as you posted earlier correct? Just turn it clockwise till it stops for 2 sec. and then turn it counterclockwise and this should reset the yellow service light? Just wanted to make sure b 4 i take out anything.
You have to do that twice in succession. Please read the instructions at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html
Old 03-30-2001, 04:47 PM

how to correct code 0302

EGR System Hi/Low Flow
Daniel, how would i correct this? I think this may be the problem. So far I have the Cattman Y pipe and Greddy SP exhaust on it.. what could be the cause and problem of this. PLUS, HOW Do I FIX IT?! Thanks
Old 03-31-2001, 07:28 AM

Re: how to correct code 0302

EGR System Hi/Low Flow
Daniel, how would i correct this? I think this may be the problem. So far I have the Cattman Y pipe and Greddy SP exhaust on it.. what could be the cause and problem of this. PLUS, HOW Do I FIX IT?! Thanks
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0302 points to a problem with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system. The malfunction is detected by the Engine Control Module when no EGR flow is detected under conditions which call for EGR. Possible causes include:
- The electrical harness or connectors (valve circuit open or shorted)
- The EGR valve is stuck closed
- Weak or dead battery
- The EGR passage is clogged
- Faulty EGR temperature sensor and circuit
- A leak somewhere in the exhaust system

The EGR Volume Control Valve may be tested with an ohmmeter. Disconnect the electrical connector. Looking at the connector half which is attached to the EGRVCV with the latch at the 12 o'clock position you will see two rows of three terminals. The top row is numbered 1-3, right to left. The bottom row is numbered 4-6, right to left. Measure the resistance between these terminal pairs:
2 and 1
2 and 3
5 and 4
5 and 6
... all resistance values should be 20.9-23.1 ohms at 68 degrees F.

Reconnect the EGRVCV connector halves. Turn the ignition switch ON and OFF repeatedly. Verify that the EGRVCV shaft moves smoothly forward and backward according to the ignition switch position.

The Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor may be tested with an ohmmeter. The specifications are ...
- at 32 degrees F, 0.68-1.11 Megohms
- at 122 degrees F, 0.09-0.12 Megohms
- at 212 degrees F, 0.017-0.024 Megohms

I am not familiar with the exhaust system modifications you have installed and cannot say if they are to blame. However, you should make a careful inspection of your entire exhaust system for leaks.
Old 03-31-2001, 01:23 PM

Thanks Daniel, i will let you know what happens. So far my car is running okay since i reset the ECU. My guess was that it may have shorted or may be a leak when i installed the Y pipe. So far so good. A ok thanks for the advice, i will look at the intake as for myself, this is my first nissan car i have worked on. I been working on mostly toyota 22R-E engines and Integras.. All work fine. thanks for your guys help.