General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Have you been ticketed for tints and under what circumstances?
Yes, I've been ticketed, the car was moving and the cops here are jerks
15.22%
Yes, I've been ticketed, the car was moving and the cops here are okay/nice
9.78%
Yes, I've been ticketed, the car was not moving and the cops here are jerks
3.26%
Yes, I've been ticketed, the car was not moving and the cops here are okay/nice
0%
No, I haven't been ticketed and the cops here are jerks
38.04%
No, I haven't been ticketed and the cops here are okay/nice
33.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Tints and tickets

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:01 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Tints and tickets

I'm thinking of getting a 20% all-around tint done to my 4th gen and was curious to know how tinted Max owners have been "persecuted" by law enforcement. Cast your vote and let's see how thing have turned out.

~THT
Old 06-18-2004, 07:07 PM

I live in VA and own an Infiniti I30. I have 30 on the front two windows and 35 on the back half of the car. VA tint laws say that I can only have 50 on the front two windows and 35 on the bI am back half of the car. Obviously I am a shade darker than legal in VA. It has been this way since I have been driving on all my cars and I have never been harassed or stopped for Tint and I have to admit that I have gotten a ticket or so. There has been one time when a cop pulled me over just for the Purple LED windshield washer nozzles on my hood and then proceeded to be a **** and check my tint and give me a ticket for it. *** H**E! That was in Vieanna VA where the cops are JERKS! That is the only time.

Basically, check your laws in your area which I think you can find on line, but In VA MOST cops are cool and don't care unless you are blacked out on your windows.

Sorry it was so long but I have had a few drinks tonight so I talk a lot. LOL
Old 06-18-2004, 07:08 PM

I meant 35 on the front and 20 on the back half of the car. sorry about that!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Haven't gotten ticketed for my tint but i have heard stories of cops cutting circles in tint.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:15 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Cutting circles? Sounds illegal to me. Isn't tint applied to the inside anyway?

~THT
Old 06-18-2004, 07:39 PM

I havent yet and I have 15%
Old 06-18-2004, 08:03 PM

I've been pulled over 2 out of 3 times I've had tint. Once in my driveway, the second in the parking lot of where I work. The cops here will stop at nothing to F you over. Infact...right on the local polices website they mention that ANY tint is illegal and you will be pulled over for it. That being said, the next mod to my Max is tint...I'm just not sure how I'm going to get away with it. Oh and FYI the limit here in PA is 70% aka factory.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:18 PM
† ErV †

Local PD has like 5 (they got a new one so maybe now 6) cars total and are too busy stalking out of towners for tickets.

Even though the city juristiction overlaps with the county, county doesn't care about tint either. Heck they don't really bother you whatsoever.

It all comes to where you live at.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Z

I'm 30 on the windows, clean on the shields. Never been pulled over. *knocks on wood*
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Reported

Originally Posted by Hamy
I've been pulled over 2 out of 3 times I've had tint. Once in my driveway, the second in the parking lot of where I work. The cops here will stop at nothing to F you over. Infact...right on the local polices website they mention that ANY tint is illegal and you will be pulled over for it. That being said, the next mod to my Max is tint...I'm just not sure how I'm going to get away with it. Oh and FYI the limit here in PA is 70% aka factory.
what the......??? you got pulled over in your DRIVEWAY?!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:04 PM

i have no idea what the level of tine i have is... but i have never been pulled over in nyc or anywhere i've vacationed to with my car.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:17 AM

20% smoke grey tint all around. Haven't gotten pulled...3 weeks so far. *knock on wood* California is 75% front windows...thats retarded. So basically..NO FRONT tint is allowed...easy for cops to notice. I tried avoiding them at all cost.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:12 PM
I need a truck

I've been pulled over for my tints, once. The officer said that it was impossible to see in. He told me to remove them once I showed him my credentials and he told me to remove them, I said "yes officer" I hope I don't get pulled over by him again cause I haven't removed them. And I really don't plan on it either
Old 06-19-2004, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gsilk
what the......??? you got pulled over in your DRIVEWAY?!
It was at my parents house actually and yes the cop pulled in right behind me at 3 am. He and his backup kept their lights on for a full 45 minutes while they tested all my windows. Of course by the time they were done every everyone in a 1/4 mile area was up and out side to see what I had done. To this day I still think I was taken advantage of.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hamy
It was at my parents house actually and yes the cop pulled in right behind me at 3 am. He and his backup kept their lights on for a full 45 minutes while they tested all my windows. Of course by the time they were done every everyone in a 1/4 mile area was up and out side to see what I had done. To this day I still think I was taken advantage of.
Thats bullsh!t. They were just being @ss holes because at that time they dont have much to do and they were trying to keep themselves busy as long as possible

As for the tint, I have 20% all the way around and it looks good. Thats the lowest Id personally suggest any1 to go. With 20% during the it blocks out just enough sunlight, but obviously not like limo would. At night its dark, but not enough to block your vision like limo tint would. Its the perfect balance if you ask me & since my interior is light it doesnt really seem to dark at all. Ive never had any problems with it. Have had it now for over 3yrs.

Edit: Btw-legal limit here is 35% as for cops cutting the tint. Im not sure about everywere, but down in LA they will cut a bit X with a razor blade so you have to get it done.
Here a pic of my ride from last months meet, you could see the tint from both inside & outside the car
Click
Old 06-19-2004, 05:04 PM

I also live in VA where it's 50 in the front and 35 in the rear. When I had my Dodge shadow, I had 20% all the way around. I was pulled over once for smoked licence plate covers, but the cop said if I removed them with his screwdriver that he would overlook both violations and explained why they didn't like either. Very valid points he made. Anyway, I have had 35% all the way around for over 2 years and haven't had a problem with the Maxima.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by THT
Cutting circles? Sounds illegal to me. Isn't tint applied to the inside anyway?

~THT
Yeah tint is inside but the cop may cut the tint from the inside to make it look fugly. So ugly that the owner has to choose either to ride with holes in his tint exposing his face or just rip off the remaining tint.

But this is some hearsay from a friend of a friend...so i don't know if it's true or not.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:05 PM
VIP Maxima

fucck tint laws. i'v had 15% all around for 2 months now and i dont care what these cops gonna do. whenever they pull beside me, i dont even bother rolling windows down. tint laws are absolutly ghey. enough said.

no problems here yet...

Old 06-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMaxSE
fucck tint laws. i'v had 15% all around for 2 months now and i dont care what these cops gonna do. whenever they pull beside me, i dont even bother rolling windows down. tint laws are absolutly ghey. enough said.

no problems here yet...
Dude 20% is light as all hell. I had it and everyone could see thru that in daylight and at night time. I was like F this and I got limo tint 5% it looks real nice and I don't have any problems seeing. Daytime or anytime you CANNOT see into the car. That's how dark it is. I love it.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:59 PM

Ive been pulled over 3 times with my tint on, all 3 times the cop told me my tint was waaay too dark and every time I just said that I didn't know it was illegal.... blah blah.... I think the cops just didnt have a tint meter on them. I have 5% Front and Back...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 PM

A friend of mine told me his friend was pulled over for having tint in the front side windows and the cop made him scratch some of it off, which ruined it. Sucks, but until the legal % limits have changed, what can you do?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Iqb316
A friend of mine told me his friend was pulled over for having tint in the front side windows and the cop made him scratch some of it off, which ruined it. Sucks, but until the legal % limits have changed, what can you do?

I WOULD NEVER EVER scratch off my tint if some a**hole cop told me, give me the damn ticket don't tell me what to do my car. If I break the law and you enforce give me a summon for doing so. Don't tell me what and what not to do to MY CAR.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:31 AM

Been pulled over at 2 a.m. making a u-turn (legally).....2 cops followed me through 2 lights....they pulled me over after the 2nd one turned green...that's like 3 min of stalking....

anyway i wasn't even warned about the tints just that i was pulled over for them.....
Old 06-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

ugg

Originally Posted by HarrisH
I WOULD NEVER EVER scratch off my tint if some a**hole cop told me, give me the damn ticket don't tell me what to do my car. If I break the law and you enforce give me a summon for doing so. Don't tell me what and what not to do to MY CAR.

Some people got lots to learn....
Old 06-22-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel

Some people got lots to learn....
Yep. He fails to realize that driving on public roads is not a right. In some states, the cops can impound your car instead of writing you a ticket. It's done more as a courtesy for the motorists.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I only got one ticket for tint. And that was because he pulled me over for speeding.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 PM

I was pulled over ONLY for window tint AND was given a ticket for it. I have 20 rear/35 front. I have never had a problem with cops around AL before so I really don't know what the deal was. He was just sitting on the shoulder of the interstate, not even shooting radar, and came after me. Go figure.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:38 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Yep. He fails to realize that driving on public roads is not a right. In some states, the cops can impound your car instead of writing you a ticket. It's done more as a courtesy for the motorists.
That's BS...he can do whatever he wants. Cutting X's in the tints does not sound like "procedure" to me...just because they're cops doesn't mean that they get to be the judge jury and executioner and can make up whatever procedure they want. Some dudes are just aching to bend over for the popos.

As far as tint, I have legal and have never had a prob. I was actually thinking of retinting to 20% though...
Old 06-23-2004, 05:10 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Got two tickets for my 20% in the front....ended up just taking it off the two front windows. It's not worth $75 a pop.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by endus
That's BS...he can do whatever he wants. Cutting X's in the tints does not sound like "procedure" to me...just because they're cops doesn't mean that they get to be the judge jury and executioner and can make up whatever procedure they want. Some dudes are just aching to bend over for the popos.

As far as tint, I have legal and have never had a prob. I was actually thinking of retinting to 20% though...
Slow yo roll man. You are right in saying that "he can do whatever he wants." He has to deal with the consequences as well. I don't know what the procedeure is for various states are. That's what courts are for. You call it bending over and I call it compliance. Stay legal and you won't have to "bend over."
Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 PM

Hey, I have a question that hopefully some of you can answer for me. I bought a used '03 that came from an older guy in a wealthy part of the state (he decided he wanted one of the new Thunderbirds!?!). Anyways, he had his car tinted at a shop and I have the receipt from the place. By the product number on the receipt, I can tell that is was the 30% Llumar film (28% is the legal limit here in FL). However, it doesn't look that dark to me, compared to some of my other friends who have had similar tint put on. So, I'm now wondering if the place didn't take the guy for a ride and put a 35% or 40% or something on instead and charge for the 30%. For those that have a 30% tint, how dark is it, and I kow this is subjective. That's why I am looking to know from a given distance (say 5 ft) from the drivers window, can you see through both front side windows clearly? Looking at other tint jobs, it often is hard to even see the door lock on the passenger side.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
V^___^V

i got a fixed up ticket for having 35% front windows tint. now it's remove and looks nothing like my sig

but again i live in CA so...
Old 06-24-2004, 11:25 AM

I think they are cracking down on cars with dark tinting in NYC. I thought my car was tinted 35%. Right after I got a ticket for 20% on my driver windows, i was shock. The NYPD showed me the number from the Tint Meter. Anyone know a place where I can check what's the percentage of my tinting? I think the meter the cop uses is rigged.

If anyone cares where I got it, is at the entrance of 96 street FDR. They do random checking every other day. So beware....

P.s. anyone know any excuse how i can fight it? $90 ticket
Old 06-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sheidt
Hey, I have a question that hopefully some of you can answer for me. I bought a used '03 that came from an older guy in a wealthy part of the state (he decided he wanted one of the new Thunderbirds!?!). Anyways, he had his car tinted at a shop and I have the receipt from the place. By the product number on the receipt, I can tell that is was the 30% Llumar film (28% is the legal limit here in FL). However, it doesn't look that dark to me, compared to some of my other friends who have had similar tint put on. So, I'm now wondering if the place didn't take the guy for a ride and put a 35% or 40% or something on instead and charge for the 30%. For those that have a 30% tint, how dark is it, and I kow this is subjective. That's why I am looking to know from a given distance (say 5 ft) from the drivers window, can you see through both front side windows clearly? Looking at other tint jobs, it often is hard to even see the door lock on the passenger side.
Its not like they would make more money off the guy by using a more transparent film, I'm sure it doesn't cost them more or less to use 5% or 75%.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Ive been pulled over for tints ONLY 2 times. I got a ticket once and paid it the next day.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:06 AM
faster than you think

i bought my car about 2 weeks ago.. im gettin the regular tint i dont want no ticket. my friend got a ticket for dark tint.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE

As for the tint, I have 20% all the way around and it looks good. Thats the lowest Id personally suggest any1 to go. With 20% during the it blocks out just enough sunlight, but obviously not like limo would. At night its dark, but not enough to block your vision like limo tint would. Its the perfect balance if you ask me & since my interior is light it doesnt really seem to dark at all. Ive never had any problems with it. Have had it now for over 3yrs.
Agreed. I used to have 15% front/5% rear and it was hard to see in areas with bad lightening. Now I've got 20% all around and it's the best mix.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Way out West

here in Oregon the legal limit is 35 percent on the front windows, which isn't really dark enough to do much, so I just leave mine without tint. You can have darker tint on the back (if you have a mirror on each side), but I would want all of mine to match, so blah.

The cops in my small town have nothing better to do than ticket you for it and now we have a new law that won't allow judges to lower fines (adding $$ to the coffers...)

What really sucks is I live in the desert with black leather interior.

Oh, and I found this in the Oregon tint laws:

"Tinting material that has a lower light transmittance or produces a lower total light transmittance than permitted in subsection (2)(a) and (c) of this section may be applied to the side and rear windows of a vehicle registered in the name of a person, or the person's legal guardian, if the person has an affidavit signed by a validly licensed physician or optometrist stating that the person has a physical condition requiring window tinting that produces a lower light transmittance than allowed by this section. The affidavit required by this subsection shall be kept in the vehicle and shall be shown to a police officer who inquires about the tint."

Basically, it says if you get a doctor's note (and keep it in the car) you can have dark tinted windows everywhere but the windshield and not get a ticket.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:06 AM
blaze0ne

Originally Posted by Max96GLE
I think they are cracking down on cars with dark tinting in NYC. I thought my car was tinted 35%. Right after I got a ticket for 20% on my driver windows, i was shock. The NYPD showed me the number from the Tint Meter. Anyone know a place where I can check what's the percentage of my tinting? I think the meter the cop uses is rigged.

If anyone cares where I got it, is at the entrance of 96 street FDR. They do random checking every other day. So beware....

P.s. anyone know any excuse how i can fight it? $90 ticket

When i got my tints done 2 years ago, the guy told me that if i ever get a ticket, i should come back to him and get a receipt saying that the shop took the tints off. then im suppose to go to a cop precinct, present the receipt, and the ticket would be dropped.
its the same procedure when u got a light out and a cop gives u a ticket; you have a day to fix it.
i havent done this because i never got a ticket for my tints but this is what ive been told.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:01 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Well, I hope I fare as well as the majority of you as I've decided to get 20% all around this weekend. I hope I have as good of luck as most of you guys.

~THT

Quick Reply: Tints and tickets