General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Subaru Impreza WRX vs. Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 11:40 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Being the rare couch potatoe that I was tonite, I saw a lil 30 sec. commercial on the new Subaru WRX.
God*aMn ~2.0 Liter w/ 227horses/ 217#torque
What do u boys think? I still luv my Maxima
If I ever see one of those WRX step up, Imma have to give it a lil smackdown of my own and represent~

'i can go offroad too with these stock suspensions...'
Old 03-31-2001, 11:55 PM

The WRX is 227 and Turbo-charged and AWD.

Unless you got something under the hood, it'll actually beat the Max.
Old 04-01-2001, 04:43 AM
Vic

it will beat a max hands down.
but they are ugly...
Vic

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
Being the rare couch potatoe that I was tonite, I saw a lil 30 sec. commercial on the new Subaru WRX.
If I ever see one of those WRX step up, Imma have to give it a lil smackdown of my own and represent~

Old 04-01-2001, 07:20 AM
Administrator

it will be YOU guys.. you AUTOMAGIC guys..

the wrx only runs 14.7 1/4 mile.. to me thats not impressive.. and the 5spd max (2k Stock 14.8/14.9) and (4th Gen with y-pipe and intake) and we are all even.. then its all up to driver baby..
Old 04-01-2001, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just remember that most stock turbo cars have not tapped into their turbo potential i.e. that will be a cheap car to mod and make even faster. its still an ugly car..
Old 04-01-2001, 09:35 AM
El Guapo

Guys,

The WRX and Max are 2 totally different cars. Please understand this when you are comparing them...

The WRX is a smaller car, AWD, 4Cyl Turbo.
Versus the max, Mid-sized, 4-door, FWD, 6cyl NA

They are targeted at different folks, for different driving styles. I think one of the mistakes that people make is trying to compare a Max to every car out on the road. I love my car, but I'm realistic about it. One car can't fit every situation or taste, and the Max certianly isn't it either.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times are meaningless.

Old 04-01-2001, 09:43 AM
Jimbo

Look is growing on me

Have you seen one in person yet? I have seen a couple, they look better in person. It takes a while to get use to some styles of car. It took me 3 years to get use to the 4th gen body style

Here are some numbers from a WRX 5spd wagon w/ 17x7" OZ SuperT's (taken from impreza forum)

Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, Wisconsin
1st run

R/T = .935(sleeping..zzzz)
0-60ft = 2.2s
1/4 = 15.2 @ 88mph(missed 3rd gear)

2nd run

R/T = .635(better)
0-60ft = 1.95s
1/4 = 14.55 @ 91mph

14.55 is not bad for only making two runs with a new car. Imagine when the driver gets use to the car and the engine breaks in. And when mods start hitting the market in this country . . .

Old 04-01-2001, 11:05 AM

They are a totally different type of car... The impreza is small, back seat is a joke. I don't think it's ugly, although it's nothing special. But hey, it has a functional hood scoop, not too shabby for $25k. As for performance, it will beat a max. They've been clocked around 6.3 to 60 mph and 14.3 in the 1/4. No idea what mods can be done, but I'm sure there is some potential to tap into. Power is smooth, decent low end, boost kicks in around 3500 rpms and pins you back in the seat. Outhandles the max too, keep in mind this car was designed as a ralley car. A bit too much body roll for my tastes, but it was very confident and handled extremely well. It also comes pretty much loaded for $25k, unfortunately there are no options for a sunroof

And yes, I have driven one, and yes, I am considering buying one in the near future. But it is in a different class than the maxima, so if a larger 4 door sedan to haul people is what you want, the WRX ain't it.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by El Guapo
Guys,

The WRX and Max are 2 totally different cars. Please understand this when you are comparing them...

The WRX is a smaller car, AWD, 4Cyl Turbo.
Versus the max, Mid-sized, 4-door, FWD, 6cyl NA

They are targeted at different folks, for different driving styles. I think one of the mistakes that people make is trying to compare a Max to every car out on the road. I love my car, but I'm realistic about it. One car can't fit every situation or taste, and the Max certianly isn't it either.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times are meaningless.
I think you are wrong. the WRX is a perfect car to race against on the 1/4 and I think that a lot of people here would agree that it (just like the maxima) falls into that catagory of a very fun to drive car that has about 200HP and would be very easy to mod. the only big way they are different is the marketing demographics
Old 04-01-2001, 11:47 AM

The WRX will not beat a max. Stock vs Stock, never. Auto Weekly did a review on it. A review where the WRX HAD more then a few hundred miles. They tested it to do 0-60 in 5.4sec and a q-mile of 14.2@xx.xx. I forgot the number, read it at work when i was bored. That car has about the same HP and TQ as the max but weighs 2700-2800lbs and its AWD. It is lighter and has a better power to weight ratio. DOnt get me wrong, i love the max over the WRX anytime but face the facts.
Old 04-01-2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Synki
The WRX will not beat a max. Stock vs Stock, never. Auto Weekly did a review on it. A review where the WRX HAD more then a few hundred miles. They tested it to do 0-60 in 5.4sec and a q-mile of 14.2@xx.xx. I forgot the number, read it at work when i was bored. That car has about the same HP and TQ as the max but weighs 2700-2800lbs and its AWD. It is lighter and has a better power to weight ratio. DOnt get me wrong, i love the max over the WRX anytime but face the facts.
I think you mean will beat based on the info you give there

Also, Jimbo didn't mention, in that post at the WRX site, they also said that mid 14's were what Mustang GT's and Audi S4's were running. The WRX doesn't have a lot of frills, but it's a solid reliable car with performance comporable to the S4 for 60% of the price. That's a hard car to beat for the money.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by deathwish

I think you mean will beat based on the info you give there

Not based on my info.. Auto Weekly. I know not all mags get the same nubmers but this is the first numbers i;ve seen for it so im going based on that.

Also, Jimbo didn't mention, in that post at the WRX site, they also said that mid 14's were what Mustang GT's and Audi S4's were running. The WRX doesn't have a lot of frills, but it's a solid reliable car with performance comporable to the S4 for 60% of the price. That's a hard car to beat for the money.
S4 running mid 14's? Wow that is pretty bad. The stock S4's at e0town having been running 14.0's. There is a chipped S4 that was running a 13.3 though. Yes only chipped. I was there and saw no exhaust or intake under the hood. It also helps that he use to own a max and was on this board. hehe. What a small world.

I def agree with you that the WRX is very solid and great perf for its price. Now if only a stck max was that fast.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:35 PM
Administrator

who?

Not based on my info.. Auto Weekly. I know not all mags get the same nubmers but this is the first numbers i;ve seen for it so im going based on that.

S4 running mid 14's? Wow that is pretty bad. The stock S4's at e0town having been running 14.0's. There is a chipped S4 that was running a 13.3 though. Yes only chipped. I was there and saw no exhaust or intake under the hood. It also helps that he use to own a max and was on this board. hehe. What a small world.

I def agree with you that the WRX is very solid and great perf for its price. Now if only a stck max was that fast.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:37 PM

You originally said a WRX would not beat a max, I think that was a typo...

Not really bad. There are hundreds of little factors that come into play. Things like elevation, temperature, humidity, track surface, etc, can all have a huge impact on performance. mid 14's might not be great on one track on one day, but it may be great on another track at another time. That's why I mentioned this, unless you adjust times for various factors (which is almost impossible), you can't really compare quarter miles times...
Old 04-01-2001, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by deathwish
...They've been clocked around 6.3 to 60 mph and 14.3 in the 1/4...
Usually a car doesn't do 1/4m in 14.3 if it takes 6.3s to get to 60mph.
Where did you get that info from?
Old 04-01-2001, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
who?
AutoWorld Weekly i think its called. Its a big magazine and not thick wise either.

So you dont think a stock WRX can beat a stock maxima? I think it can but i guess it wont be known till there is a comparison. Based on all the numbers in the mags, they are all faster then the maxima. I dont care if you say well i have this and my max runs this. Im sure there will be WRX owners that say the same. Sp what can you go by these days then?
Old 04-01-2001, 01:28 PM
Administrator

no who has an S4 who use to have a max?

AutoWorld Weekly i think its called. Its a big magazine and not thick wise either.

So you dont think a stock WRX can beat a stock maxima? I think it can but i guess it wont be known till there is a comparison. Based on all the numbers in the mags, they are all faster then the maxima. I dont care if you say well i have this and my max runs this. Im sure there will be WRX owners that say the same. Sp what can you go by these days then?
Old 04-01-2001, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
no who has an S4 who use to have a max?
Rob Cheng AKA Maxhawk
Old 04-01-2001, 02:23 PM

You guys are kind of missing the point. First of all, there is no question as to whether or not a stock WRX is faster than a stock Max. Even though Subaru advertises 6.3s to 60, every test I've seen has been faster than that. The real difference is in the handling and fun-to-drive factors. The WRX is amazingly well-balanced, with very neutral handling. The clutch, steering, brakes, and throttle all work together extremely well. You feel like you can go into any corner as fast as you want, and the car will just take care of it.

On the other hand, the back seat is tiny and the trunk is small, and there really aren't any luxury options (leather, heated seats, etc.). I don't think that many people will be cross-shopping the Maxima and the WRX.

I drove the WRX, and if all I did was drive by myself without hauling stuff, I wouldn't even have to think about it. It's amazing. But, I live in the real world, and sometimes even my Maxima doesn't seem to hold enough stuff and people. So I guess we'll see. Fortunately, I don't have enough money to have to worry about it right now.
Old 04-01-2001, 02:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximamike

Rob Cheng AKA Maxhawk
thats not the only one mikey.. cliff from greenwich had a black s/c max, but went s4
Old 04-01-2001, 03:01 PM
MaxRX7

shouldn't it be called:

Impreza POS?

Old 04-01-2001, 03:06 PM

And it would be called a POS because? Maybe cuz its faster than your's, yet you fail to acknowledge it and you are ashamed of the facts?
Old 04-01-2001, 03:09 PM
MaxRX7

Maybe , but it's fuggin-ly, and Subarus are POS.

Old 04-01-2001, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by MaxRX7
Maybe , but it's fuggin-ly, and Subarus are POS.
How many media magezines and people have called the 2k max ugly? It's all in perspective, I think the WRX is fine. Not flashy, but who cares, if I wanted a car that looked cool I'd go buy a 323...

As for being a POS, ok... My dad is a subaru nut, has owned 4 of them. He even had a 12 year old legacy with over 200,000 miles on it and that thing was incredibly reliable (other than the usual starter, alternator, clutch replacements). All of the subarus have been incredibly reliable with good build quality and a bulletproof engine. They are not fancy cars, but saying they are ****ty is very misleading.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar

Usually a car doesn't do 1/4m in 14.3 if it takes 6.3s to get to 60mph.
Where did you get that info from?
I don't remember where I read that. Most owners are reporting low 6 seconds if you are nice to the car. Several people have also reported times as low as 5.5 seconds with a 6,000 RPM clutch drop. And more still have reported high 5's with a more clutch friendly 3k slip. I haven't heard to much on quarter miles times beyond low 14's...

I'm curious as to what can be done with it, doesn't seem to be much of an aftermarket. The suspension is probably good enough for me, but I'm wondering how much room the engine has for improvement. Given the high boost and power to weight ratio, you might not be able to tune it up much more. I don't think it's like the S4 where a chip can crank the boost up and give you a good boost in power.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:41 PM

my friend got a WRX

my friend got a WRX, i was trying to get him to race me but, he said "NO", cuz he said i DON"T race my car. And i juts figure this out, WRX here, here in US, it not the Japanese WRX, it is not a true WRX. it has 40 Less HP compare to the Japanese Spec WRX. I ask him if the car is fast, he told me "hell yeah, it is fast." but he never own a fast car or any car before, before when i had the Maxima i thought my friend civic EX is fast, so i am not ganna take he word for it.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:51 PM

I have driven several Subarus and one thing I can say is that the engines in the ones I have driven are horribly rough sounding, especially when you get to higher RPM's, were as the Maxima engine is always silky smooth. As for 0-60 times in the low 5's and 1/4 times in the low 14's, it seems to me that those numbers are a little fast. I know it has AWD and a turbo. 30hp more than a 4th gen and about the same weight, but can get though the 1/4 a second faster. To me its the same as the old Eclipse GSX, and they didnt get low 14's stock. In my opinion the old Eclipse looks better and you can pick up a used one much cheaper, and the aftermarket is already there. Also I would worry about high boast levels on a subaru engine, because I havent known them to be anything spectaular. I still wouldn't race one with a stock 4th gen because the WRX would still win.
Old 04-01-2001, 04:54 PM

I test drove one of these yesterday, and even though I didn't push it, I must say that even thought it is slow off the line, as soon as it hits the 4K range that thing takes off. The acceleration is much better than the Max after 4K IMO. I don't think the AWD is that much of a aid in the acceleration process as there isn't much low end torque on these cars, but it will move and will beat my stock 95 as it currently is (with stereo in trunk). It is a fun car to drive but I don't think it is worth giving up the room for the little bit extra fun you get out of it.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:33 PM

Re: my friend got a WRX

Originally posted by BrokenMotor
it has 40 Less HP compare to the Japanese Spec WRX. I ask him if the car is fast, he told me "hell yeah, it is fast." but he never own a fast car or any car before, before when i had the Maxima i thought my friend civic EX is fast, so i am not ganna take he word for it.
Actually I believe the US Spec WRX has more than the Japanese spec WRX. The 22b version on the other hand is a different story.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:48 PM
Conecarver

So what if the WRX is being sold as a perfect Rally car? So what if it's faster 0-60 and 1/4. BRING IT ON!
I'm actually glad Subaru is giving free admission to SCCA this year. More roadkills for me!

Here's my first group of 91 roadkills last weekend...
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/2001/learn.html
Old 04-01-2001, 07:35 PM

WRX .. oooooo yes

Sorry but i LOVE the WRX .. already savin up for one .
gimme a year

and NO there is no way in hell stock for stock a max will keep up with a WRX ..

besides that all you need is a 75 Cent T connector and i'll have the WRX pushin 13's at the track easily ..

Can't Wait Can't Wait ..
Finally i'm gonna have BOOST.. watch out you S/C guys

Ant
Old 04-02-2001, 06:31 AM

I test drove a WRX last week >>

It'll spank a 5-speed Maxima is any department of automotive performance. Some of the automotive media out there have been able to get the WRX in the mid to high 5 second range in the 0-60mph tests.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:10 AM
is invisible

Muhahah...

Speak the truth..it hurts.
Face it guys...there's another sub $25k 4-door sedan that gives a great bang for the buck..and can whoop on the Max.
You say it takes a modded Max to beat the stock WRX...just wait 'til the WRX gets its mods.
Old 04-02-2001, 02:45 PM

Re: Muhahah...

Originally posted by CoolMax
Speak the truth..it hurts.
Face it guys...there's another sub $25k 4-door sedan that gives a great bang for the buck..and can whoop on the Max.
You say it takes a modded Max to beat the stock WRX...just wait 'til the WRX gets its mods.
yes but it is a COMPACT don't think there is any $25k midsize 4 door sedan that is not built poorly can beat the max yet
Old 04-02-2001, 04:17 PM

That comercial for the WRX is enticing. That engine sounds cool! I like the showing of the boost guage.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:05 PM

I hate to break the news to you stud, but you would do well to leave that WRX alone. That car will hit 60 mph in somewhere on the far side of 5 seconds.

It is to bad they don't have the full power Japanese WRX over here. Can we say Corvette getting the beat down!!

Old 04-02-2001, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: Muhahah...

GTP!! haha, i could'nt help myself..sorry..

Originally posted by costcowholesale

don't think there is any $25k midsize 4 door sedan that is not built poorly can beat the max yet
Old 04-02-2001, 09:05 PM

OK... I got interested about the WRX after reading this thread so I went and test drove one today for quite a while.

My conclusion:

With a perfect launch (i.e. turbo spun up for launch) this car will beat a max in the 0-60 or 1/4 by a little just like the stats indicate. BUT if you start regular style and wait for the turbos to kick in then the maxima will kill the WRX as it took quite a while to spin up from a street start unless you really pound on it. It was a fun car to drive the biggest plus for it was the short throw shifter and the stiff suspension that made it accurate (for lack of a better word) to drive. The bad things were the cheap interior, and the fact that it felt cramped and small (I'm only 5'10") The outside styling could be improved with a body kit or some small changes. If you are to pound everything out of this car then it will beat a max and most ofhter cars, but driven conservativly it felt like a civic with VTEC syndrome (no power until high RPMs)
Old 04-02-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by max2kgle526
That comercial for the WRX is enticing. That engine sounds cool! I like the showing of the boost guage.
The Boost guage isn't standard. . . It is an option that you have to pay the dealer to install. .. I found that funny.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:00 PM

Hell yea, bring it on....I'll race a WRX any day of the week...I might win some, I might lose some.....but that's the fun of it all....I'm actually glad that there is now another mid to high 14 second car around....It really fun to have close races.

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza WRX vs. Maximas