General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

03 SE or 04 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:12 PM

03 SE or 04 SE?

Parents are thinking about getting another car......... They really like maximas.... so now the question comes down to what they should get.. Theyve asked me to decide... but I need more opionions...

Some details:

They will both be around 25k
They will both be silver
They will both not have leather
Both auto

I need some very good comparisons for both... So, I need as much help as I can get, which one should I get? (opinions from all gens would be appreciated )
Old 07-06-2004, 04:22 PM

I think the answer is 03 SE....Cause 04 only comes with leather only. I will take 04 over 03 any day
Old 07-06-2004, 04:23 PM

Biggest factor is size and styling IMO.

Your parents are driving it, so I don't think performance and 'nimbleness' will be the key priorities.

That said, platform of the 6th gen is newer than the 5th gen. Even though the 6th gen looks like a boat to some, it actually handles the twisties pretty well. More torsional rigidity, better rear suspension setup (goodbye beam), etc.

5th gen is styled more the old Nissan way IMO, also made in Japan. The 6th gen styling is more radical and made in Smyrna, TN. I think quality of both cars are comparable.

My advice ... drive both cars and see which one your parents like more.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by VaMax04
04 only comes with leather only.
Not true. You can get cloth on the SE. However, if you start adding options, you might need to bump up to leather.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cloth is available on the SE in 2004. I may be able to help you out with some comparisons because I work at a Nissan dealer. Let me know what other options you are looking for and I will help as I can.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:07 PM

i know what a 5th gen feels like cuz I drive one, so I guess its a good idea to test drive a 6th gen.

Maxima42:

1.Which one would you say comes in for service more (not like oil changes, but problems), 5th gens (2003) or 6th gens?

2. What is the cheapest I can get an 04 with the sensory package? (how low should I go during bargining)

3. I have heard that you can get a car 1000 buck or more cheaper if you buy it off the truck.. Someone told me dealers have to pay a lot fee of some sort. is that true?

4. When is the best time to go bargain? Ive heard that it should be at the end of the month before they have to pay another fee to keep the cars on the lot longer.

5. What is the difference between factory tint and getting it tinted at a local tint shop? (ive heard that the factory tint is incorporated into the glass itself)

any help would be appreciated.....
Old 07-06-2004, 06:25 PM

bump...... anyone?
Old 07-06-2004, 08:11 PM

From quality stand point - go for 2003, last year made in Japan. I believe TN plant quality decreased since 93 or whenever it was opened....

If you don't mind, I'll throw my opinion to the questions directed at Maxima 42.
I preffer to go bargain late at nite. About 30 min before closing. It could be hit or miss. If it is a hit, and you are a serious buyer, you will get a good deal just get you out of the bloody dealership so everybody can go home . If you get some low level manager who cannot make a decision to let the car go for 2% over invoce....then you are out of luck.. But mainly know your numbers, like MSRP, Dealer Invoice, Dealer holdback, how long the car has been sitting on the lot (usually manufacturer pays for first 30 days of financing of the car, after that $$ is out dealers pocket), how many of same cars are nearby, so they don't pull "Oh...Mr this is the only one in 200mi radius...bla bla). For something like an 04 Maxima - Invoice +1% before any rebates is a fair deal. Dealer still gets it's holdback from NNA. Just my 0.02.

If you are looking for a used one, private party is your best bet. After that concentrate on Large Non-Nissan/Infiniti New car dealers. For example a VW or Chevy dealer would be trying to unload a Nissan much harder then a new Nissan dealer. Small-town USA big domestic car dealers are the best in this scenario....
Used car lots are the worst, unless you really know who deal with, then you can tack on with the guy and go to a lease auction or something and pick one out cheap...
Old 07-06-2004, 08:19 PM

As far as tint, I think all glass is slightly tinted, but I think you mean dark tint....I don't think Maximas come with dark tint from the factory. You can have your dealer do it, but they usually farm it out to some other company and charge you more. Walk around the back and see if the tint Van is parked...usually they'll come over several times a week....approach the guy when he is leaving or just call direct.....you'll get a better price...
Old 07-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Z

03 SE easily. The 6th gens are so frigin problematic; exploding skyroofs, jittering and whatever else. They're big and bulky. They feel sluggish. They don't have the sporty look that made the 4th and 5th gen so awesome. And the build quality is *TERRIBLE!* Nissan just sent 250 engineers from Japan to look into the quality issues with the US assembled 04s and clean the sh*t up. The 03 is definitely the right choice.

I really hate the 6th gen, so glad the dealer didn't suck us into getting one two months ago.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:00 AM

maxima42, schernov, Arnold K. .. You guys have given me some really amazing advice... Im glad I asked on this forum before I bought one... Ill let you guys know what ends up happening.

peace, Al
Old 07-07-2004, 06:21 AM

03..... You want something sleeker looking then a 6th gen....
Old 07-07-2004, 06:25 AM

If you can hold off for another month or so, you may get a better deal. Dealers are getting pretty antsy to unload inventory in August as its not that far off from delviery of the 2005s. Also, tell them the 2004 is a year old and the 2003 is now two years old and you expect to get a deal as its "old inventory".

When negotiating, always play the "I have to think about it routine" and head for the exits. They will usually try to reel you back in and sharpen their pencil.

Have more than one alternative in mind by going to more than one dealership, do your homework and tell them to "sharpen their pencil". BS them tell them its a toss up between car A and car B on another lot, but don't tell them where you've been. Practice mushroom management, lol!

From what I've heard, I would buy the 2003. Have they considered a used Infiniti?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:31 AM

I have a 2003, its for my parents........(which I will slowly get them to give to me, lol)... but sleekness wont really matter to them.. I have to think about the overall...

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
03..... You want something sleeker looking then a 6th gen....
Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 AM

I think my parents need a car in a few weeks, the other one is in real bad shape. I think you have some good points about having alternatives...and about "ill have to think about it." Im absorbing all this info Im getting from you guys and I hope to tear it up when I go to the dealership..... BTW, does anyone know how nissan has been selling recently?

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
If you can hold off for another month or so, you may get a better deal. Dealers are getting pretty antsy to unload inventory in August as its not that far off from delviery of the 2005s. Also, tell them the 2004 is a year old and the 2003 is now two years old and you expect to get a deal as its "old inventory".

When negotiating, always play the "I have to think about it routine" and head for the exits. They will usually try to reel you back in and sharpen their pencil.

Have more than one alternative in mind by going to more than one dealership, do your homework and tell them to "sharpen their pencil". BS them tell them its a toss up between car A and car B on another lot, but don't tell them where you've been. Practice mushroom management, lol!

From what I've heard, I would buy the 2003. Have they considered a used Infiniti?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:46 AM

I would definitely pick an '02-'03 over an '04 and day. I quite honestly think the '04s are ugly, big, bulky, not what it used to be. The shape is like a saturn ion for god sakes. Also, I would rather have a car made in japan over one made here, so go with the '03.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:54 AM

hands down definitely 02-03 se....i currently have a 00 se and in about another year or so i'll be trading up for 5.5 gen...i think that will be my last maxima because 6gen doesn't appeal to me in terms of looks and size...
Old 07-07-2004, 07:54 AM
vqman

who is selling you a 2003 cloth Maxima for 25k?

I was told my 6 speed w/leather and titanium package was overpriced when I was asking $20,950

-vq

EDIT: this one was post #1400

Old 07-07-2004, 07:56 AM
vqman

oh yeah, if your parents dont' mind the styling, I'd say go with the 2004. I'd imagine they'll appreciate the extra size of the 2004 more than they'd appreciate the (tiny bit of) "nimbleness" of the 2003...

-vq

Old 07-07-2004, 08:33 AM

sorry, I called, and the 2003 does have leather.. sorry for the wrong info... it only has 800 miles on it.. so its farely new... its a little more than 24200 dollars, and the 2004 maxima has around 800 miles and its a tad more than 24500

Originally Posted by VQMAN
who is selling you a 2003 cloth Maxima for 25k?

I was told my 6 speed w/leather and titanium package was overpriced when I was asking $20,950

-vq

EDIT: this one was post #1400
Old 07-07-2004, 12:12 PM

Tell them to buy both....03 and 04
Old 07-07-2004, 12:13 PM

damn, were not rich... but I would if I could
Old 07-07-2004, 12:19 PM

I'd still try to talk them down in price on the 2003. It's been sitting around for a while, after all.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:47 PM

sprililis, whats up.. yeah, I def know that the 2003 price is high, and I will talk them down... if we decide to go with the 2003... but I think since we already have a 2003, my parents are very much leaning towards a 2004.... and I will have no say in that matter... lets see what happens in a few weeks.... I thank everyone for their comments.... peace out.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:39 PM

OH HELL NAAWW!! I just been reading about people shift **** breaking? Are you serious? What happened to the maxima we all used to love.. the one with quality? And what else sucks is that the 03 maxima we were looking at got sold for 24000... That sucks. I guess we are now veering away from the 2004 maxima... (i think) lets see if they took care of most of these problems for the 2005 model..

thanks all for the advice.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Z

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
OH HELL NAAWW!! I just been reading about people shift **** breaking? Are you serious? What happened to the maxima we all used to love.. the one with quality? And what else sucks is that the 03 maxima we were looking at got sold for 24000... That sucks. I guess we are now veering away from the 2004 maxima... (i think) lets see if they took care of most of these problems for the 2005 model..

thanks all for the advice.
Like I said, quality with the 6th gens is distastrously bad. The only quality Nissan vehicle at the moment is the Murano (excluding Infiniti); it's completely assembled in Japan according to the tags on the car. Like I said earlier, terrible car for the money. It's not getting hammered by the press for no reason. And honestly, I'm a Nissan fanboy. I love Nissan's vehicles more than any other, but I know when something's just no good. If you want something sleek and don't want to own another 03 5th gen, go for a 3.5 Altima, then. Get the new 2005, or if you don't care for the redesign, then check out the original 3.5 Altima. You're getting a car that's got less problems, is somewhat quicker, is definitely more agile and sporty, powered by a VQ 3.5 and rides on the Maxima platform.

Consider changing your option from 04 Max to 05 Altima.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:38 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Consider changing your option from 04 Max to 05 Altima.

what he said...

-vq

Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 AM

It's seems that you're already leaning this way, but I would definitely vote for going with the 03! I just recently bought my 03 SE Titanium Edition, fully loaded (except NAVI), with 10K miles on it, for near 20K, so you should be able to find a good '03 for much cheaper than $25K, even in NY! I personally would NEVER buy the 6th gen. They don't even look or have the feel of a Maxima any more, plus all of the previously documented quality issues. But, good luck with your hunt, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:59 AM

I'm reading A LOT of 6G flaming. While I personally agree with nearly all of it, the 6G is a totally different beast than the 5.5G.

IMO, if you're looking for more of a sports sedan then the 03 is the way to go. If you want more of an upscale sedan (w/ decent performance) then the 04 is the way to go.

And if you decide on the 03 Maxima SE, you should also checkout the 05 Altima 3.5SE which MSRPs for $27G w/leather and Bose. IMO, the Alti 3.5SE/SL is the true 6G Maxima.

Peace.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:48 AM

Thanks, I never thought about the Altima.. specially since they changed it a bit with quality for 2005... but then, I will wait for the 2005 maxima just to see if some of these problems have been taken care of... (personally, I hate the altima exterior and hate it from taken the spotlight away from the maxima)
Old 07-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Ford Only.

03 If they want to be sportier.

04 If they want more space and a comfy ride.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:22 AM

6th gens are problematic still, no doubt. Still, I'd buy it over the 03 unless the 03 came with a SERIOUS discount. The 03 is a full generation behind, and to me that's a lot. If you buy a 6th gen you'll have an up to date max (not including minor changes as they age) for another 4 years. You buy an 03 and it's already old!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
6th gens are problematic still, no doubt. Still, I'd buy it over the 03 unless the 03 came with a SERIOUS discount. The 03 is a full generation behind, and to me that's a lot. If you buy a 6th gen you'll have an up to date max (not including minor changes as they age) for another 4 years. You buy an 03 and it's already old!
I agree that there are many times in which you will not want to get a car when a newer 'generation' for that car has come out or is coming out. However, in this case, I think there is a real reason to pause. The main reason why that theory holds true is because it is assumed that when a car gets re-styled, it will cause the value of the now-"old" style to drop a lot, since most people will want to be buying the "new" style. However, in this case, due to a combination of reliability, and the majority-agreed ugly re-styling, I don't know whether this will play out on the Max. It will probably be a regional thing, but down here in my part of FL, it is hard to find the nice 03's, since those people that have them are not trading them in for the newer model, like normally occurs with re-styles, so there aren't many used ones available. Plus, they just can't sell the '04 Max here, since everyone is taking the Altimas, so there is also more demand for the '03 Max.

I think being a generation behind, as you mentioned, is relative. If the new gen is nice and sought after, then, yes, it may be a problem. But, if not many people like the new gen, then it's not as big of a deal. Plus, if you can get a fully loaded '03 SE (without NAVI) for around $20K (depending on mileage) vs. a similarly-equipped '05 Altima 3.5 SE which will run roughly $27K vs. an '04 Max which will run you over $30K similarly equipped. Knowing the steep depreciation of Nissans, grabbing a low-mileage (around 10K) '03 seemed like a steal to me. Of course, that's all subjective, as there wasn't much of a choice for me when I factored in the looks.

Also, we would need to ask Oxidizer if his folks are the type to keep a car for at least 4 years. If so, then by the time they come to sell the car, the '04 Max that you recommend would be an "old"-style, and odds are, it will have been replaced by something that looks nicer.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 PM

Parents are thinking about getting another car......... They really like maximas.... so now the question comes down to what they should get.. Theyve asked me to decide... but I need more opionions...

Some details:

They will both be around 25k
They will both be silver
They will both not have leather
Both auto

I need some very good comparisons for both... So, I need as much help as I can get, which one should I get? (opinions from all gens would be appreciated )

C. none of the above.

Im sorry, im just not a fan of the 5th & 6th gen maximas.
Tell them to get a Infinity G35 sedan.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:34 PM

Go Drive An '04...

Ox,

You have an '03, so you know exactly what it's capable of. I would go out and drive an '04 for a day. That will give you enough time to get to know the vehicle.

I traded my '02 SE in for an '04 SE and I don't regret the trade at all. All of the things that I loved about the the '02 (mainly the VQ35), I have in the '04. I also gained a larger interior and more modern design. Of all of the issues that have been talked about on the Org, I have only suffered the misaligned glovebox. There's a TSB for that.

As we all know, any vehicle is going to have it's share of problems, especially one in it's first year of production. To all of the guys bashing the '04's quality, my '02 had it's share of issues too (warped rotors, bad lower control arms, undiagnosed suspension knock up front, timing chain rattle on startup, etc.) However, I still loved the vehicle.

Give the '04 a break. It is no longer the sports minded Maxima that we grew up with. It's gone upscale. If you want the old Maxima, buy the 3.5 Alti
Old 07-08-2004, 01:07 PM

Doug, You make some very valid points.. Tell me something, since you have had an 02, im guessing an auto, does the 04 tranny shift very slow? How fast can you go in each gear (up to redline) and what is the drag limit of an 04 maxima? (i think the 5.5 gens limit was around 144 mph)
Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 PM

http://www.nissannews.com/

Well the sales figures on the 04 are down and by this time last year(June) just about all of the 03's were gone, over a 24% drop in sales vs. last June. I see huge discounts coming early in this models production in order to move them.
The upscaling of the of the car started in 02 and continues this year.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:23 PM

Doug, You make some very valid points.. Tell me something, since you have had an 02, im guessing an auto, does the 04 tranny shift very slow? How fast can you go in each gear (up to redline) and what is the drag limit of an 04 maxima? (i think the 5.5 gens limit was around 144 mph)
Yep, my '02 was an auto. Initially, I too thought that the '04 was slower to downshift. However, after having the car a couple of months, it's just that the car shifts differently. With the new 5spd trans, the car does not need to downshift as often as the '02 to get up to speed. Now, when prompted, the '04 will kick down and move

I have not tested the speed in each gear and I have not attempted to reach any drag limits. I'm still breaking her in. Even after break-in, I probably will not test the top speed in each gear. I just don't see the need (not for what I bought the car to do). I'm not going to drag the thing. I do intend to start the upgrades once they become available, but not with any intentions of going to the strip.

I've already contacted HotShot about headers and they stated that the chances of an '04 header are slim. Also, they stated that the current 5.5gen headers will not work

The performance search will continue.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:32 PM

All you guys, you better becareful about going to tracks and auto x.. I read the other day peoples warranty becoming void after they go to tracks and auto X... it was actually on autonews.com and it talked about how someone took the new evo to an autoX event, something went wrong with the turbo and mitsubishi found out it was at a track event and voided their warranty..
Old 07-08-2004, 05:44 PM

It's subjective. Drive both.