General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone else with GS400 Wheels on the Max

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 04:07 PM

I remember a few people posting that they had a set on their Maximas, but that was awhile ago and the search did pick anything up. I recently got a set and milled the centerbore to match the hub of the maxima. Weird thing is that the right side of my car doesn't like the wheels. The right side is just fine, but the front passanger side wobbles slightly when the car is off the ground. I can't tighten the lugs any tighter. I'm thinking the backing of the wheels that makes contact with the maxima is not smooth. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, two of my wheels studs are screwed up (damn those crazy air-gun-happy-freaks at the shop) Anyone know an easy way to install these suckers. I bought a replacement at the Dealership and both my Haynes and Chiltons guides make it look more difficult than it's worth. Hey OrgeDave, ya want to help me out. I remember you saying it was like a 5 minute job.
thanks
Old 04-02-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I remember a few people posting that they had a set on their Maximas, but that was awhile ago and the search did pick anything up. I recently got a set and milled the centerbore to match the hub of the maxima. Weird thing is that the right side of my car doesn't like the wheels. The right side is just fine, but the front passanger side wobbles slightly when the car is off the ground. I can't tighten the lugs any tighter. I'm thinking the backing of the wheels that makes contact with the maxima is not smooth. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, two of my wheels studs are screwed up (damn those crazy air-gun-happy-freaks at the shop) Anyone know an easy way to install these suckers. I bought a replacement at the Dealership and both my Haynes and Chiltons guides make it look more difficult than it's worth. Hey OrgeDave, ya want to help me out. I remember you saying it was like a 5 minute job.
thanks

i got a GS430... I wanna put those rims on my Max Badddd... They do not fit? I thought that they were 5 lugs x 4.5 space.... eh i gotta try to put one of my rims on... the spare is full size exactly like the others so i just gotta try that... what exactly has to be done to make it fit? please lemme know! thanks

-danny
Old 04-02-2001, 07:18 PM

The lugs fit fine

And the pattern is perfect. The problem is the centerbore. The hole in the middle of the 5 lugs. If you look on the Maxima's rotor you'll see where the centerbore makes contact. That region is called the wheel hub. The maxima hub is slightly larger than the Lexus and so that is the fitment problem. I have the centerbores widened for $50. They used a high powered water jet to cut the alloy. Kinda neat.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:24 PM

Re: The lugs fit fine

And the pattern is perfect. The problem is the centerbore. The hole in the middle of the 5 lugs. If you look on the Maxima's rotor you'll see where the centerbore makes contact. That region is called the wheel hub. The maxima hub is slightly larger than the Lexus and so that is the fitment problem. I have the centerbores widened for $50. They used a high powered water jet to cut the alloy. Kinda neat.

so then u see the hole like from the outside? u mean the part that the Lexus L covers?
Old 04-02-2001, 07:59 PM

yep that's the part

If you try to get the Lexus wheel on the Maxima, the part where the center cap is won't fit. You'll get the wheel half way on, but when you look at the wheel hub on the Maxima, you'll notice that it is slightly larger at the base than it is on the outside.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:01 PM

Re: yep that's the part

If you try to get the Lexus wheel on the Maxima, the part where the center cap is won't fit. You'll get the wheel half way on, but when you look at the wheel hub on the Maxima, you'll notice that it is slightly larger at the base than it is on the outside.

how does it look w/o the center part? take pics i wanna see... tnx
Old 04-03-2001, 05:49 AM
OG :)

I have them

Mike(Austin)'s car, its for sale. I have them but they are sitting in my garage. Thing is the machining needs to be perfecto.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:17 PM

Need help with the wheel

I had the wheels machined precisely to the Maxima. I have 3 on with no problem, but the front passanger side shifts around when the car is up on the jack and tires are off the ground. I'm not sure if it's the wheel or the Maxima. I'm going to try and switch the wheel with one of the other three and see if my problem presists. Man, these suckers were a lot of trouble. I drove out in LA traffic to get these, had them machined, bought new mag lugs to fit the wheel, and I'm still having fitment trouble. I think the wheel gods are against me.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:22 PM

Hey OrgeDave, ya want to help me out. I remember you saying it was like a 5 minute job.
thanks
Yah man, gimme a call sometime u freakin slacker..

And i notice i was right about the tire .. not the lugs How many tries did it take u to figure out? heh sounds like a tedious chore.
Old 04-03-2001, 04:49 PM

Ya know

I'm a major slacker. I've had this wheel problem for two weeks, so I just ignored the car all together. I have two other cars I have to drive around. Plus I like to think of my Maxima as the gas guzzler, as it is the largest and heaviest car we have. I still need to replace the wheel stud, but I've solved my problem. The new lug nuts that I have are too long and when fitted through the hole on the wheel, 1mm of the nut goes through the other end. This prevents the wheel and the hub to make prefect contact. The original mag lugs that came with the wheels are shorterm, but they are for a Lexus thread count and didn't fit the wheel studs. I'm going to double the washers used to create the gap I need. If anyone else need help with their wheels, ask me. I've had just about every possible issue come up.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:13 AM
OG :)

Another slacker here

Had them for months. Anyway, try these: Lugnuts and locks 45$ (Summit Racing parts: MCG-21153 for lock SET, MCG-60003)

BTW, I know a friend with a set of chromed GS wheels that might be up for sale. PM or e-mail if interested, thanks.