General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Finally traded the Maxima.....for '02 I35....observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:59 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Finally traded the Maxima.....for '02 I35....observations

Well I finally got rid of my beloved Maxima. I must say I truly loved that car, it was actually hard parting ways with it, even with a silver '02 I35 waiting for me to drive off in. So I got the I35 w/ 32k miles on it. Here are some observations for those who are interested:

1. This thing is fast. I knew it would have good acceleration, w/ the 255hp, but it gets up and goes a lot better that I expected. I initially thought I would yearn for the manual tranny that I had in my Maxima but the engine is so powerful, and the tranny is so seamless and smooth (although not paticularly adaptive like a BMW auto) that I don't miss it much. After driving manual for 5 years it's nice to really not have to do anything whille driving. I think it is even quicker than my Max, which I didn't expect. It doesn't have the "right now" pickup of the manual Max, but once that engine starts revving traffic is *GONE* in the rearview mirror.

2. I must say I like the way it looks more and more. I think it's the silver on black color scheme.

3. The Bose stereo SUCKS......well when compared to the Bose in the '97 Maxima. It sounds okay, but it is not nearly as loud as my old one. I like music as loud as it will go, all the time, and this system just doesn't make my ears ring like my old one. I do like the in dash changer however.

4. Xenon headlights: Awesome, perhaps my favorite thing. Not only do they give way better light, they look soooo sharp.

5. I love the electroluminecent guages.

All in all I love the new car, I do miss the Maxima though in some ways. The interior general quality was better in the old one. The headliner was thicker and the doors shut with more of a thud. The controls also felt more substantial. Not that the new one is bad, it just shows how nice the 4th gen Maxima interior is.

But all in all I love the new ride. It turns heads like the Maxima did when it was newer.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Welcome to the sophisticated side of the org
Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 AM
VIP Maxima

shoulda gotten an 03 max. looks way better !

Old 07-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMaxSE
Looks are subjective. That said, IMO the I35 looks better. (And I have a 5G Maxima) Especially if you want that JDM Nissan Cefiro look.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The I35 looks a thousand times better than the 5th (or 5.5 gen) Maxima. It's a shame there wasn't a stick offered. Congrats!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Got Projectors?

You'll have fun with the I35, trust me.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:34 PM

Does the '02 I35 come in stick at all?

<------ I35
Old 07-22-2004, 01:46 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Are you kidding me? I know that looks are subjective, but this thing looks plain classy. Maximas don't. The only good looking Maxima is the SE, and those look sporty more than classy.

And I know this sounds snooty, but driving a premium-branded vehicle does have its benefits. Call it what you want, but I'd rather be "The guy with the silver Infiniti" than "The guy with the Maxima". Noone take offense to that, I love Maximas as much as anyone (well,3rd and 4th gen).

Old 07-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by JSClark
Does the '02 I35 come in stick at all?

<------ I35
4 speed Auto only.

MaxedOut97SE - You're in Knoxville? So am I...we should head out to the dragway and shock some riced out honduhs.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOut97SE
Are you kidding me? I know that looks are subjective, but this thing looks plain classy. Maximas don't. The only good looking Maxima is the SE, and those look sporty more than classy.

And I know this sounds snooty, but driving a premium-branded vehicle does have its benefits. Call it what you want, but I'd rather be "The guy with the silver Infiniti" than "The guy with the Maxima". Noone take offense to that, I love Maximas as much as anyone (well,3rd and 4th gen).
You right looks are subjective and the 02/03 Maxima SE's do look more sporty than the I35 but the 02/03 GLE looks just about as classy as a I35. Both are great cars.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Kevlo for President

GLE's barely look differ than SE.

I35's Look very different from maximas.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:12 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
4 speed Auto only.

MaxedOut97SE - You're in Knoxville? So am I...we should head out to the dragway and shock some riced out honduhs.

Yeah it's fun to take nice new cars to the track and smoke the pics of **** riced out hondas. I've blown away many cars already, it's hilarious. I've only had the car 3 days and I love it more and more every day. But yeah we should do that. You know what these will run in the 1/8?

Old 07-22-2004, 10:17 PM

In all of your descriptions of performance it sounds just like you are describing my 03 SE auto. If I take it out of D and slide the shifter to the left the performance is instantainous. I'm glad that you like the looks of your new I35 but I think that the 02 & 03 Max will perform just as well. Just my $0.02

Mr. P
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I smell a 6-speed conversion
Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 AM

oh yeah sure...just tke one of the "ugly" maximas and rip out the tranny, ecu and harness.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:29 AM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Old 07-23-2004, 09:11 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
In all of your descriptions of performance it sounds just like you are describing my 03 SE auto. If I take it out of D and slide the shifter to the left the performance is instantainous. I'm glad that you like the looks of your new I35 but I think that the 02 & 03 Max will perform just as well. Just my $0.02

Mr. P

Here we go....this is exactly how big flame wars get started.

Did I ever say that my car has any performance advantage over a Maxima? Um........no. All I said was that I admire the acceleration. And yeah I do like the looks of my I35, I'm glad you're glad. What looks better, a Tahoe LS or a Yukon Denali? My point exactly. And secondly, noone loves Maximas more than I. I had so much pride in my old car that people got sick of hearing about it. If anything I miss the exclusivity of the old 3 liter VQ(being only in Maximas/I30's and nothing else), what V6 engine of 1997 was as good as that one? So don't take what I said and turn it around. Now that's my $0.02.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by chinaonnitrous1
oh yeah sure...just tke one of the "ugly" maximas and rip out the tranny, ecu and harness.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm done with the Nopi stage of my life. This car won't be touched, except maybe for window tint. The stupidest thing I could do is take a practically brand new Infiniti and mod it out. I'm not 17 anymore. Furthermore did I ever say the Maxima is ugly? No.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Got Projectors?

Yeah it's fun to take nice new cars to the track and smoke the pics of **** riced out hondas. I've blown away many cars already, it's hilarious. I've only had the car 3 days and I love it more and more every day. But yeah we should do that. You know what these will run in the 1/8?
I'm all for it, let's pick sometime to go out there. Maybe hit up the regional forums and get some Max guys to go with us.

My best has been 9.7 bone stock. And that was with like a 2.4 second 60 ft time, so I know there's more to be had.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:31 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
I'm all for it, let's pick sometime to go out there. Maybe hit up the regional forums and get some Max guys to go with us.

My best has been 9.7 bone stock. And that was with like a 2.4 second 60 ft time, so I know there's more to be had.

That's faster than I thought it would be. This 3.5 really screams.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

IMO, the 1st gen I30 looks better than the 4th gen Maxima assuming the 4th gen doesn't have the Stillen bodykit. However, I find the 5.5 gen far better looking than the current I35. I'm not a big fan of the 5th gens, but I must say the 5.5 gen front end is much more aggressive and overall cleaner looking than the I35 assuming you replace the ricer 5.5 gen clear tails with the 00-01 SE units. The 00+ I30/I35 took a step back in looks, IMO. It looks way too "bubbly" and doesn't look remotely new, style wise. Interior wise, the I30/I35 owns. The main reasons I refuse to purchase the I35/5.5 gen Maxima is:

1) 4 speed auto. It definitely holds back the potential of the 3.5 VQ after 70mph. With that extra cog between the 4 speed's 2nd and 3rd, the 5 speed auto really takes advantage of the 3.5 VQs potential.

2) Beam axle. After multiple rides in my friends G35 sedan on the 350Z springs/struts, it's amazing how much more ride compliance you get over bumps and rutted surfaces.

BUT as long as you're happy, who gives a flying F about what I think
Old 07-23-2004, 11:58 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD

this board belongs to us. pack ur suit and head back to www.IDriveARebadgedNissan.org

just messin with ya

Old 07-24-2004, 03:06 AM

hmm, the I35 has a 3.5L? Wonder why Nissan NZ didn't use that engine instead of the 3L in our 5th gen Maxima, which looks exactly the same as the I35 Deprived once again,:cry:
Old 07-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
hmm, the I35 has a 3.5L?
Think about that sentence.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Chassis Freak

I agree that the front of the 5.5G Max is better than the front of the I35, but I think the rear of the I35 is manifold better (original use of the word "manifold"). I've always thought that the 5th gens were generally good looking but Nissan really fxcked up on the a$$. I was very pleased recently when I came across a Motor Trend review of the 2000 Maxima and they said the exact same thing:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/167194/2 (thanks to whoever's page this is)

"Few of us much cared for the oddly shaped taillights, the railroad tie-like rear bumper, or the front jawline."

And the summary paragraph: "The Maxima's combination of capable performance, commodious cabin and trunk, availability of a manual trans, apparent reliability, and good value make it a sport sedan to consider if you can't quite buck up for that E320 or 530i. Even if the taillights are unattractive. MT"

The 5th-gen could be a beautiful car. Took me a while to get used to the front end, but I like it now (with clears). The a$$, however, I will never "get used to" because it's just ugly. Bad aesthetics.

Originally Posted by Dave B
IMO, the 1st gen I30 looks better than the 4th gen Maxima assuming the 4th gen doesn't have the Stillen bodykit. However, I find the 5.5 gen far better looking than the current I35. I'm not a big fan of the 5th gens, but I must say the 5.5 gen front end is much more aggressive and overall cleaner looking than the I35 assuming you replace the ricer 5.5 gen clear tails with the 00-01 SE units. The 00+ I30/I35 took a step back in looks, IMO. It looks way too "bubbly" and doesn't look remotely new, style wise. Interior wise, the I30/I35 owns.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Weasel
The I35 looks a thousand times better than the 5th (or 5.5 gen) Maxima. It's a shame there wasn't a stick offered. Congrats!
The first time I saw an I35 in person I wanted one. When I found out they did'nt come with a maual trans I wanted it a little less.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:14 PM
MaxedOut97SE

this board belongs to us. pack ur suit and head back to www.IDriveARebadgedNissan.org

just messin with ya

Belongs to you? And you've been on the forums how long? Six months? If you wanna waste time seeing my point, read back on all of my "Maxima is better than this...Maxima is better that posts" Trust me there are a plenty. Thru 1995-99 it was the best car you could get this side of a 328i.

Anyway, more observations.

1. I'm really falling for the styling. It looks so sharp from almost every angle. The rims are sweet. I prefer my non-sport rims to the sport ones. This thing turns heads like crazy as well as blends into traffic (I.E. cops don't notice my car out of 10)

2. Getting used to the stereo. It's really not too bad, it sounds quite good, but still the Bose in the 4 gen Max (esp 95-96) RULES.. I just wish it gets so loud it hurts your ears like the old one did.

3. Rear sun visor, when I see a 7 series or S class with one up I smile to myself.

4. Guages I absolutely love, they are straight from the Q45. Make the interior classy, as well as the wood steering wheel. Even though the wood is fake, it looks quite good.

Although this is a Maxima underneath (which is definately not a bad thing!!!), IU think Infiniti did a great job of differentiating the two(finally). The inside is alot classier looking inside (no freakin offense max owners) as well as the outside. My neighbor has an '03 Maxima GLE and I must say my car looks A THOUSAND times better. Plus having the Infiniti badge, saying "I drive an Infiniti.." I can't lie, makes me smirk to myself. Yeah yeah it's a rebadged Nissan, but it's still an Infiniti. Infiniti (finally) competes with the big boys like Lexus and Acura and BMW. Not Hondas and Toyotas. Haters: get over it. If you drove the Infiniti you'd be the exact same way, I don't care what anyone says.

Also the fact that this car looks identical to a new '04 also is nice. The silver on black is classy as hell.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:16 PM
MaxedOut97SE

I can't lie though, boys, I read over my posted post and saw the pic of the old car. I can't say I don't miss it. I loved that car SOOOOO much.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:42 PM

congrats on the car
Old 08-02-2004, 01:24 PM

I have to admit, I thought of trading my Maxima for an 04 I35, seeing as its in its 5th and final year. But as I have 5.5G already, I decided "what would be the point".
Old 08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
www.autotalk.com

Gotta admit, I35 blows away the 5th gen maxima. If I ever got one I would do a 6speed swap in a heart beat and then some LITTLE mods to make it look even better.

Congrats on the new car!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its really sad,

I owned a 2k2, and now have a 2k3, and its so sad, that a car being this fast, has the ugliest @ss end i have ever seen on a car.

You would figure, not only do you smoke a lot of the cars on teh road, but you punish them further by showing the UGLY @SS 5th gen rear end to them two, its like a double whammy.

If the I35 had a 6 speed option, i would be ALL OVER IT!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:30 AM
I miss the .org!

IMO I like the 5.5gen Maxima front better, but the back is just ugly, even after 2yrs. The I35 rear is really nice though. Being that I had to have manual, it pretty much ruled out the I35, and the TL at the time...
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 AM

so what happened to all the mods on yur max did yu trade it in like that or were they taken off
Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Thanks for all the congrats guys. I left the Maximas mods on it. A friend of mine who works at the lot where I got the Infiniti bought the Max. He was gonna buy the I35 but I came in there and swooped it away in a few hours on his day off. Feel kinda bad for the guy, but I didn't know. Oh well. He's getting one of the best running, fastest 97 Maximas out there for about 3 and a half grand. Damn what a steal.

So now my car is in the shop getting aligned, I have a G35 loaner. I love how they practically bow down for you at the dealer. Um, this G35 is really a screamer. I really, really wish my I35 had that 5speed auto. Other than that the power feels almost identical. I noticed the I35 is quicker off the line (why??) than the G, but the G would definately catch up. It's not as much faster than the I35 as I thought it would be.

Okay, I have back roads and a 260HP G35 and rear drive, time to let the tail loose, responsibly of course. Be back later.

Old 08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

1. This thing is fast. I knew it would have good acceleration, w/ the 255hp, but it gets up and goes a lot better that I expected. I initially thought I would yearn for the manual tranny that I had in my Maxima but the engine is so powerful, and the tranny is so seamless and smooth (although not paticularly adaptive like a BMW auto) that I don't miss it much. After driving manual for 5 years it's nice to really not have to do anything whille driving. I think it is even quicker than my Max, which I didn't expect. It doesn't have the "right now" pickup of the manual Max, but once that engine starts revving traffic is *GONE* in the rearview mirror.

2. I must say I like the way it looks more and more. I think it's the silver on black color scheme.

3. The Bose stereo SUCKS......well when compared to the Bose in the '97 Maxima. It sounds okay, but it is not nearly as loud as my old one. I like music as loud as it will go, all the time, and this system just doesn't make my ears ring like my old one. I do like the in dash changer however.

4. Xenon headlights: Awesome, perhaps my favorite thing. Not only do they give way better light, they look soooo sharp.

5. I love the electroluminecent guages.
1) there is no excuse for an auto

2) nice looking car..

3) its bose come on.. what you expect from a factory system

4) i like them too

5) havn't seen them yet
Old 08-03-2004, 06:15 PM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by SprintMax
1) there is no excuse for an auto

Ok Ok, I'll give you that, just cause it's you, Sprint.

Ok someone tell me why the F**k my I35 has noticably more pickup at launch than an auto G35?

Old 08-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Another benefit of having an I35 is that you get to go to the Infiniti dealerships which are a hell of a lot nicer than the Nissan dealers!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:18 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Originally Posted by aliti19
Another benefit of having an I35 is that you get to go to the Infiniti dealerships which are a hell of a lot nicer than the Nissan dealers!

Oh yeah, Yesterday they practically rolled out the red carpet and gave me a G35 to rag out while my car was being aligned. A rental for non-warranty work. There's a little room with comfy chairs you sit in. You don't have to stand in the garage, and they really, really kiss your ***. As a matter of fact I'm gonna call today and compliment them. They sure had the "#1" satisfaction thing right where you could see it.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 AM

Why didnt you just get a 2004 G35?

Quick Reply: Finally traded the Maxima.....for '02 I35....observations