General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Next BlehmCo Project... Big REAR Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

how much bigger are these when compared to the oem rear brakes...?
Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 PM
STFU n00b!

factory are 280x10mm

these are 300mm x ummmm 16mm I think.

in english, that's 10.9" to 11.75".
Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
factory are 280x10mm

Cool... how soon, how soon?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Holy crap, I don't know how I missed this the past 4 days!!!!

OK, so we're looking at approx. $1000 for the rear BBK, plus $850 for the front BBK.

Usually you offer some decent "Intro" GD pricing on new products you develop so I'll be looking forward to that. Any possibility of having some sort of package deal if somebody gets the complete front AND rear BBK kits at the same time?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:47 PM

factory are 280x10mm

Real close, but here is the exact specs for the rear rotors

4th & 5th Gen Maxima - 278mm x 9mm thick
Z32(1990-1996 300ZX) - 297mm x 18mm thick
Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RichSpidizzy
Holy crap, I don't know how I missed this the past 4 days!!!!

OK, so we're looking at approx. $1000 for the rear BBK, plus $850 for the front BBK.

Usually you offer some decent "Intro" GD pricing on new products you develop so I'll be looking forward to that. Any possibility of having some sort of package deal if somebody gets the complete front AND rear BBK kits at the same time?
I'm interested in knowing this myself. In the next 2 months I probably will be planning on getting both the front and rear brakes.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:31 AM
STFU n00b!

I'll be doing something with the intro pricing on it, but I'm not sure what yet. I'm waiting for my accountant to get back with me and give me the go ahead to actually sell these kits. I want to get a few more miles on them before I send out parts with problems that I have to recall later...
Old 07-29-2004, 10:07 AM

Hey matt do you have rear brake lines and how hard are they to install
Old 07-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor

thats pretty darned good

i wana see how it feels!!

I dont have a nose dive problem on my Maxima... APs in the front and JICs
Old 07-30-2004, 06:30 AM

Hey Matt, I want to redo my entire brake set-up, so I'd be interested in a complete kit front & rear with rotors an Z32 calipers, drop me a PM when you get a chance dblea@videotron.ca I have GTV-TMW 17" wheels, I'm in no hurry since my brake will last until next spring but a Z32 caliper front and rear would be really nice.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-31-2004, 02:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by carnal_c30
thats pretty darned good

i wana see how it feels!!

I dont have a nose dive problem on my Maxima... APs in the front and JICs
show off! i have JICs....and factory brakes with heat spots, and cracks. =T
Old 07-31-2004, 02:52 AM

Im in on this tho, i already have rear calipers set to go.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:04 PM
I miss the .org!

Awesome...great to see that this product is gonna be a reality! Unfortuanately, it's gonna run quite a bit more than I was expecting
Old 07-31-2004, 04:13 PM
STFU n00b!

Oh, YOU bought those of Fleabay?
glad I decided not to get into a bidding was on them...

888.. Yeah, there's a LOT of labor involved in designing the kit, as well as custom parts. it's not a simple bolt-on conversion like the front brake jobs. wish it was, trust me!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:38 PM

c'mon matt... you're killin' us here... when and how much...?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:29 PM

Oh, YOU bought those of Fleabay?
glad I decided not to get into a bidding was on them...

888.. Yeah, there's a LOT of labor involved in designing the kit, as well as custom parts. it's not a simple bolt-on conversion like the front brake jobs. wish it was, trust me!
yup fleabay..haha if igured id get them now before the war starts on trying to locate them
Old 08-01-2004, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by wildmanal
I'm interested in knowing this myself. In the next 2 months I probably will be planning on getting both the front and rear brakes.

Me too!!!
Matt, please make a group deal for the entire front/back setup!!!

Mark97SE
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 PM

so what happened Matt, some major design flaws or something?

Old 08-25-2004, 02:26 PM

yeah... i need to buy it now before all my money runs out... (just bought the JWT flywheel and clutch...)
Old 08-25-2004, 04:22 PM
STFU n00b!

LOL!! No, no design flaws. In fact I pulled the kit off Mike's car last weekend (after... hmmm, I forget.. 700 miles I think... Mike? ), and the kit looked exactly as I installed it, but with a bit of brake dust scattered through things.

The holdup is that I'm waiting on someone in the Houston area to let me fit the kit on a 4th gen and 5.5 gen before I do any group deals. I don't want to say they'll fit or be curious on fittment on certain models. I'd rather have a 100% yes/no answer on them before I do anything.

Curreltly, I'd only tested them on the '00 Maxima. the '01 looks slightly different on some of the rear axle stuff (particularly the ABS wiring is slightly different from the 't that's not a problem). I have a friend locally with a 4th gen and a 5.5 gen, and I'm waiting on him to get his lazy **** over here and do the work.

It's just a matter of killing the little rats before I start selling. Should be in the next few weeks tho.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:37 PM

Nothing that beats a manufacturer that takes pride in his work and does the research to make sure there are no issues prior to release.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 PM

Brakes ain't no joke, better later than sorry. When matt does things he does them right.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:27 PM

LOL!! No, no design flaws. In fact I pulled the kit off Mike's car last weekend (after... hmmm, I forget.. 700 miles I think... Mike? ), and the kit looked exactly as I installed it, but with a bit of brake dust scattered through things.
Yep, it was 700 miles when we tore it back apart to check things out. I've got a little over 1200 miles now, and things are great! The wife even commented that the brakes on the Max are so much better than her Altima, and you need to watch for people behind you if you have to hit the brakes hard-no way they can stop as quick. And this from someone who never notices anything on the car-unless I've changed wheels again!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Curreltly, I'd only tested them on the '00 Maxima. the '01 looks slightly different on some of the rear axle stuff (particularly the ABS wiring is slightly different from the 't that's not a problem). I have a friend locally with a 4th gen and a 5.5 gen, and I'm waiting on him to get his lazy **** over here and do the work.
Hey Matt...would some pics of my 01 help? I know for sure I am a "bastard" car as it seems my car was on the assembly line mid-production change. 10/01 build but my BP's seem to be 00, but some of the other stuff is 01. Weird eh?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:12 PM
STFU n00b!

Jon, the pics *look* like they're the same and everything, but I want to get a car here and actually tear it down myself and bolt the parts onto it so I'm 100% sure everything will fit. I'm already having to eat my words on the 5th gen relocation kit not fitting the '02-'03 models like I was told it would.. that's cost me a lotta bucks in return shipping, hours of emailing, upset customers, etc. I don't intend on doing it again.

knowing that the parts will fit is just part of the job, IMO. it's one thing to put something together and start selling it, but it's another thing to make sure it fits properly.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by kwd2kSE
Yep, it was 700 miles when we tore it back apart to check things out. I've got a little over 1200 miles now, and things are great! The wife even commented that the brakes on the Max are so much better than her Altima, and you need to watch for people behind you if you have to hit the brakes hard-no way they can stop as quick. And this from someone who never notices anything on the car-unless I've changed wheels again!

I love this damned thing
Brakes are tighter than a... err... nevermind...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis

I love this damned thing
Brakes are tighter than a... err... nevermind...
Think they're tight now, get the backs and make sure your seat belt in on tight. It also eliminated the big front nose dive I had with just the fronts done.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Think they're tight now, get the backs and make sure your seat belt in on tight. It also eliminated the big front nose dive I had with just the fronts done.
Yeah...wifey isnt to happy with me...D2's and now rear BBK upgrade.

Matt, no worries. As more time allows me to "save" more for it. Not looking forward to f'in around with those e-brake cables though.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

How is the pedal feel now that you have some mileage on her? At first note you said its about 1mm-2mm "softer" before engaging. Since you had the original BBK (front only) I would be curious over time if its "firmed" up.

My front BBK was a tad soft (but WAY tighter than stock) and then firmed up real nice. Would you be willing to comment?
Old 08-26-2004, 09:29 AM

I'll try to be more descriptive as a mechanic would be. I've had the front BBK since Jan '04, about 7,000 miles on them. Have 1,250 miles on the rear BBK as of this morning. I'm using Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, bought at AutoZone. Currently have Wagner ThermoQuiet pads both front and rear. Bought all the calipers off EBay and rebuilt them myself. Fronts are also aluminum. Currently I've got my spare wheels with Bridgestone S-03's on the car, size 245/45/17.

The amount of effort to push the brake pedal, "pedal feel", is very similar to stock. It is not "mushy or rock hard". How far you have to push on the brake pedal before the brakes engage is a little more than stock. My best estimate is about 1/2 cm more than stock. And for anyone who feels that this is a problem, take out a ruler and see just how little 1/2 cm really is. Plus remember you are pushing on the pedal with your foot/leg. Its just not a big deal. Truthfully, after the first week, you don't even remember that there was a difference to begin with. Remember, you will now have 12 caliper pistons compared to 4 stock. Little more fluid to move, but I do NOT feel a different master cylinder is necessary.

Any other questions? I'll answer all that do not pertain to the assembly or fabrication-those are up to Matt. Oh, the e-brake cables are not bad the way the kit is put together. Plus I've starting working on drum/e-brakes before most people on this board were even born yet. Just somewhat time consuming, especially if you have stock mid pipe. Thank goodness I don't.

Mike
Old 08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I'll try to be more descriptive as a mechanic would be. I've had the front BBK since Jan '04, about 7,000 miles on them. Have 1,250 miles on the rear BBK as of this morning. I'm using Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, bought at AutoZone. Currently have Wagner ThermoQuiet pads both front and rear. Bought all the calipers off EBay and rebuilt them myself. Fronts are also aluminum. Currently I've got my spare wheels with Bridgestone S-03's on the car, size 245/45/17.

The amount of effort to push the brake pedal, "pedal feel", is very similar to stock. It is not "mushy or rock hard". How far you have to push on the brake pedal before the brakes engage is a little more than stock. My best estimate is about 1/2 cm more than stock. And for anyone who feels that this is a problem, take out a ruler and see just how little 1/2 cm really is. Plus remember you are pushing on the pedal with your foot/leg. Its just not a big deal. Truthfully, after the first week, you don't even remember that there was a difference to begin with. Remember, you will now have 12 caliper pistons compared to 4 stock. Little more fluid to move, but I do NOT feel a different master cylinder is necessary.

Any other questions? I'll answer all that do not pertain to the assembly or fabrication-those are up to Matt. Oh, the e-brake cables are not bad the way the kit is put together. Plus I've starting working on drum/e-brakes before most people on this board were even born yet. Just somewhat time consuming, especially if you have stock mid pipe. Thank goodness I don't.

Mike
Did you ever just have stock calipers and SS lines through out?

It would be interesting to compare
1) Stock to Stock with SS lines
2) Front BBK with Stock SS lines
3) Front and Rear BBK.

I put my SS lines on with my front BBK and compared to my stock with rubber lines, the front BBK with SS lines is WAY tighter than stock with rubber lines.

And I do have a stock exhaust...as I said I am not lookin forward to putting this on.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:44 PM
STFU n00b!

Nah.. it's not that bad really. just remove the O2 sensor(s) and unbolt the center section of the exhaust. remove the heat shields and there's about 6 small bolts to remove. the fun part is pulling all the clamps and straps off the old lines and transferring them to the new ones. wheee.
that part took me about an hour and a half or so- the FIRST time. if you have instructions, which I'll provide, it won't be bad. not a lot of guesswork and trial & error like I did to get it all right.

As for the brake feel, it WILL NOT be like stock. It doesn't matter what car you're driving, if you do any mods to the brake system, it's not going to feel like it did with all OEM parts. that's not saying that brake feel is worse at all. it's just different. people equate different with worse, and it's simply not the case.

If you can still effectively modulate the brake pedal and get abs to engage (or lock up the tires on a non-ABS car), then there is nothing wrong with the system.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by Colonel
Did you ever just have stock calipers and SS lines through out?

It would be interesting to compare
1) Stock to Stock with SS lines
2) Front BBK with Stock SS lines
3) Front and Rear BBK.

I put my SS lines on with my front BBK and compared to my stock with rubber lines, the front BBK with SS lines is WAY tighter than stock with rubber lines.

And I do have a stock exhaust...as I said I am not lookin forward to putting this on.
My take on this is that SS lines improve brake "feel" but do not reduce pedal distance on stock calipers because your still pushing out the same amt of fluid for the same piston size.

For the 300zx calipers, pedal distance is close or slightly farther than stock because that distance will be measured by the fluid it will take to push all 8 pistons out to the degree where the pad engages the rotor.

my AP kit for example uses bigger, but longer pistons within a caliper designed with close clearances between the pad and the rotor. Therefore I only need to press down 1 inch on my brake pedal to reach the engagement point (less travel + piston size = less fluid = shorter pedal travel) Anything harder past 2-3 inches and my eyes get sucked out of my head I've also driven a non-abs maxima with AP's and his pedal feel is even less, which I believe is that my abs system results in more fluid circulating in there. However I am unfamiliar with abs so don't quote me on that
Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i was working on this, until the max was totalled..
Old 08-27-2004, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=kwd2kSE]synthetic brake flued.

Thought his eyes were going to pop out.

man just what i need some eye popping stopping. i go thru so many rotors that it would be worth it to try some of those, because when i hit the brakes all i get is split rotors. i know what you mean by nauseating feels like the car stops before you, thats how i feel in my boys big brake system.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
Yeah...wifey isnt to happy with me...D2's and now rear BBK upgrade.

Matt, no worries. As more time allows me to "save" more for it. Not looking forward to f'in around with those e-brake cables though.
Hey Colonel, do like me buy her a set of diamond earing and then announce her the new maxima modification and cost. Lol she know about the D2 that I ordered, and soon she will learn about the Cattman headers with catt-back + Matt's entire brake set-up, and hopefully a S/C next spring.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-29-2004, 08:00 PM
STFU n00b!

LOL!!
Don't make me part of the pre-nup! you don't want the woman taking your car in a year, do ya?!
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by doublea
Hey Colonel, do like me buy her a set of diamond earing and then announce her the new maxima modification and cost. Lol she know about the D2 that I ordered, and soon she will learn about the Cattman headers with catt-back + Matt's entire brake set-up, and hopefully a S/C next spring.

Cheers

AA
I wish, I just ran into some financial unpleasantness, my car mod money is gone...plus some.

Hopefully in a couple months Ill have enough saved up again. :sigh:
Old 09-04-2004, 01:10 AM

progress??
Old 09-04-2004, 07:56 AM
STFU n00b!

Confirmed fittment on 5.5 gen. hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to test it on a 4th gen and then I'll have it done.

Quick Reply: My Next BlehmCo Project... Big REAR Brakes!