General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lifetime allignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:06 AM

with firestone. I have to drive an hour away for an alignment but it is well worth the trip. Free, excellent service and the guarantee of a job well done. Been with them for close to 2 years now.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by lophix
with firestone. I have to drive an hour away for an alignment but it is well worth the trip. Free, excellent service and the guarantee of a job well done. Been with them for close to 2 years now.
You go to one in KC?

I'll just use the store locator.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:05 AM
I love lamp.

Firestone lifetime alignment owns....but you gotta beware of which one you go to. I taken my car in twice for an alignment, which I bought back in June. Problem is though the computer says I'm in spec, toe-in and camber still seem to be off enough to give me some problems (wheel doesn't stay center, or I get this nice little delayed reaction when turning the wheel, and the car actually turning). I know at least one place in my area where the alignment rack isn't properly calibrated, or breaks too often that it probably is worthless to align there. I'm going to be trying a different firestone soon once I get me some new control arm and sway bar bushings installed.

S
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM

Mike

Thanks for the info on the lifetime alignment this sure sounds like a winner!! One question, do you run Firestone tires on your I30?

Peabody
Old 07-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Mike

Thanks for the info on the lifetime alignment this sure sounds like a winner!! One question, do you run Firestone tires on your I30?

Peabody

Bridgestone Potenza RE950's
Old 07-27-2004, 08:12 PM

Guys, I might be selling these lifetime alignments through the mail if you guys are interested.....
Old 07-27-2004, 08:32 PM

I'm interested...how much?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Please do..I went today to one and they said it was 149.99 for lifetime alignment and because I am lowered it will cost me 250 bucks for a lifetime alignment!!! Please sell them through the mail and I will be very interested.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 07-28-2004, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by 95CustomMaxima
Please do..I went today to one and they said it was 149.99 for lifetime alignment and because I am lowered it will cost me 250 bucks for a lifetime alignment!!! Please sell them through the mail and I will be very interested.

Thanks,
-Nick
What? Just basic lowering springs? This was at Firestone?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
What? Just basic lowering springs? This was at Firestone?
I just called my Firestone and they said they would have to check my car first before they would know if they could offer lifetime because it is lower with Sprints.
Should I tell them that they should just align it at factory specs or what?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:36 PM

We need at least 3.5" of ground clearance so we can get the car on the rack, that is the only thing we require.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have Ground Control Coilovers, but still have a 3.5" ground clearance. No chance in hell Im gonna pay the 250. What do you propose I do I30tMikeD??

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Guys, I might be selling these lifetime alignments through the mail if you guys are interested.....
That's awesome, I was actually thinking about asking you if you'd do that. How much would you want? Paypal, money order, personal check, credit card? What you thinking?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Terran
That's awesome, I was actually thinking about asking you if you'd do that. How much would you want? Paypal, money order, personal check, credit card? What you thinking?
I need to work the details with my store manager.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by FlynFishSandwch
You go to one in KC?

I'll just use the store locator.
I go to the one in Wichita...the closest is in Junction City, but I prefer going to Wichita...more to do there.

I was also given a Firestone map book with all the locations of their stores through out the country.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter11
I just called my Firestone and they said they would have to check my car first before they would know if they could offer lifetime because it is lower with Sprints.
I personally don't tell anyone Im lowered...if I were outrageously lowered (> 2.5") then i *might* tell them. Mike, does telling the tech help in anyway?? Reason I ask is the machine takes a reading and then they alter to return the vvehicle to spec... I doubt the info helps...
Old 07-28-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by lophix
I personally don't tell anyone Im lowered...if I were outrageously lowered (> 2.5") then i *might* tell them. Mike, does telling the tech help in anyway?? Reason I ask is the machine takes a reading and then they alter to return the vvehicle to spec... I doubt the info helps...

It does not really matter. We don't have adjustable camber anyhow. I don't even think the guys at work know I am lowered. We do lowered cars everyonce and a while and it's never an issue. As long as we can get it on the rack with out scraping is all we care about.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:14 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Is it just me or is this care ever properly aligned? Have taken mine to several different places, with no satisfaction at all, still pulls to right. I have never had a car that has given me this much head ache in terms of an alignment.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:30 PM

hey I30tMikeD if i bring my car in to your shop can u hook me up with a deal on an alignment?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by RemoteMax
hey I30tMikeD if i bring my car in to your shop can u hook me up with a deal on an alignment?

I can hook you up on a lifetime one.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:16 PM

what can u do pricewise?)sorry I'm the cheapest person in the world)
Old 07-30-2004, 04:17 AM
SuPeRmOd

questions: I had a '88 Buick Century before my Max. Let it sit ahwile and then fixed it up to give to my sister. I tested it and the steering was really loose. At least 90 deg turn before car reacted. Is it just because I'm used to my 04's steering?

Would an alignment improve the steering? Also, since it is now in her name, could I still transfer the lifetime from that car to mine after they align it? Or could I just bring it in under my name (do you guys check?) then transfer?

Last Q, is this worth it if I don't plan on modding my Max? How often should I align just to maintain?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter11
I can't speak for another store, but they probably were trying to avoid getting wraped up in a situation where your car can not be aligned to specs because of the sprints and no adjustable camber.

I would either buy camber bolts so that there is no worries, or let them know that you understand that it will never be withing spec...just that you want the tech to align the car the best he can and get it to go straight down the road.

They probably look at it as having a front end problem. If I know a car has a bad tie rod end but the customer refuses to fix it but wants to come in every couple weeks to have the alignment put back I would not want his business either. See what I mean?
Old 07-31-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
questions: I had a '88 Buick Century before my Max. Let it sit ahwile and then fixed it up to give to my sister. I tested it and the steering was really loose. At least 90 deg turn before car reacted. Is it just because I'm used to my 04's steering?

Would an alignment improve the steering? Also, since it is now in her name, could I still transfer the lifetime from that car to mine after they align it? Or could I just bring it in under my name (do you guys check?) then transfer?

Last Q, is this worth it if I don't plan on modding my Max? How often should I align just to maintain?

Thanks.
Sounds like the car has more than an alignment problem with that loose of steering.

Not really sure what your asking me about the transfer situation, but you can transfer the alignment for $25...how ever you go about it is your choice.

Besides getting an alignment after front end work or a run in with a curb, I would get it done as maintainence 1-2 a year. It can really save a lot of money in tires.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaFastness
Is it just me or is this care ever properly aligned? Have taken mine to several different places, with no satisfaction at all, still pulls to right. I have never had a car that has given me this much head ache in terms of an alignment.
Tires could be your problem.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:01 PM

Any updates if you can sell by mail?

JP
Old 08-01-2004, 08:12 AM

I have been doing the Firestone lifetime alignment deal for about 6 years now. I have never really been happy with their work, but it is better than paying repeatedly.

I usually have to go back multiple times to get it right. Once after I replaced a rack and pinion, I eyeballed it and got it real close, but afterward they had it worse than when I went in.

It seems that since they are not getting money from you, they don't really care whether it is even in the specs on their computer. Different stores also have different specs for the same car.

I had 2 Firestones refuse to align my lowered vehicle because they said that the factory specs were now wrong and that it would not be safe to use them. I was supposed to go find new specs myself.

I once bought a car that pulled real hard to the right, and when they got done with it, it was exactly the same. 2nd Firestone said that it was WAY out of specs and that my lower A-arm was bent. The 1st Firestone said nothing. I sometimes wonder if they even try to align them.

I was also told that they don't transfer the alignments for $25 anymore.

That is the sum of my experiences with Firestone dealers from IL, WI, NC, VA, and AZ. Take it for what it's worth.

Mark97SE
Old 08-01-2004, 11:01 AM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Tires could be your problem.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I have Kumho's Ecsta ASX 225/40r-18's.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:45 PM

I can't speak for another store, but they probably were trying to avoid getting wraped up in a situation where your car can not be aligned to specs because of the sprints and no adjustable camber.

I would either buy camber bolts so that there is no worries, or let them know that you understand that it will never be withing spec...just that you want the tech to align the car the best he can and get it to go straight down the road.

They probably look at it as having a front end problem. If I know a car has a bad tie rod end but the customer refuses to fix it but wants to come in every couple weeks to have the alignment put back I would not want his business either. See what I mean?
I went in Friday and didn't tell them anything but that I wanted the lifetime and they didn't ask any questions. It drives alright so maybe they did a good job.

What will the camber bolts do for me?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:05 PM

Hmm, good thing I found this thread. Looks like I may be going to firestone to get the lifetime alignment dealie. The shop (Americas Tire Co.) doesn't do alignment. Even though I'm paying for it, I know my parents are going to be ****ed since they think firestone is a bad company. Anyone know any shops in OC which are good for lifetime alignment?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:51 PM

Count me in on the mail special.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:14 AM

I30tMikeD, any updates on the lifetime alignment?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Max96GLE
I went to my local firestone shop and bought the life time alignment for $140. Dont know if that is the info you wanted.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:42 AM

firestone, if you catch the deal they give once in awhile with the free autopass card it's only $99 for lifetime alignment
Old 11-30-2004, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Max96GLE

Not working their anymore.....
Old 11-30-2004, 11:05 AM

I had my car aligned at NTB and their usual price is for a one year. I think the Firestone deal is much better, get your money back after 2 years. I went to Merchant's, they said they could align my car (17"oem) because their equipment would scratch my wheels. So they said to go the NTB across the street. (NTB and Merchant's are part of Tire Kingdom, so same parent company) AT NTB, they scratched myrim on the tip of the lip where the tool comes in contact with the tire. I didn't complain but should have, oh well. I also have Sumitomo HTR+ 235/45-17 where the bead basically covers up the lip and from what I saw, they had to push and push and basically jam the tool's tips between the rim and the tire to get it to secure. I think that's how it got scratched. Is it supposed to scratch? I guess I'm just tired of fighting over a small nick.. Got my rim scratched at a Firestone once and they denied it all... oh well
Old 11-30-2004, 03:01 PM

Not working their anymore.....
I smell scam!

na, just playing I purchased mine a few months ago. However I was not very pleased with the service (and knowledge) of the people at my local one so I think this next time I'm going to a neighboring city to get it done
Old 11-30-2004, 04:44 PM

Yeah, my car's shaved and they aligned it as an altima...dumb@$$. I saw the mistake on the paperwork and we checked and it was within spec anyway so I figured I'd see how it was and come back if I had to since I had to get back to work (did it on my lunchbreak). Tracks perfectly so I just left it. I'll be going back within the month once my suspension is done.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by young1976
I had my car aligned at NTB and their usual price is for a one year. I think the Firestone deal is much better, get your money back after 2 years. I went to Merchant's, they said they could align my car (17"oem) because their equipment would scratch my wheels. So they said to go the NTB across the street. (NTB and Merchant's are part of Tire Kingdom, so same parent company) AT NTB, they scratched myrim on the tip of the lip where the tool comes in contact with the tire. I didn't complain but should have, oh well. I also have Sumitomo HTR+ 235/45-17 where the bead basically covers up the lip and from what I saw, they had to push and push and basically jam the tool's tips between the rim and the tire to get it to secure. I think that's how it got scratched. Is it supposed to scratch? I guess I'm just tired of fighting over a small nick.. Got my rim scratched at a Firestone once and they denied it all... oh well
you live in manassas? do you still go to ntb on 234 to get your alignment done? if not, where do you go? i went there for alignment last year and i don't think they can get the alignment done right
Old 12-01-2004, 08:26 AM

I called a couple of the affiliate Firestone stores and none of them offer the Lifetime Wheel alignment. Do they offer it only in the suburb and not in the cities? Freaking pissing me off. I sent Firestone an email asking for service center where they offer it. Hope I get a response soon.

Quick Reply: Lifetime allignment?