General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Max Melts in the Rain. NEED HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM

My Max Melts in the Rain. NEED HELP!!!!

So once again im relying on you guys for help with my car. For those of you that dont know it was raining pretty hard in nyc last night and also this morning. First thing that goes wrong is that my headlight burns out. So after a wiggle it turns back on.

Then this morning as im driving through the city, my battery light comes on. then shortly my brake and ABS lights joins its illuminescence. Then i notice im running low on gas. So as u can picture my dash is lit up like a christmas tree. I manage to rush home b4 the entire battery drains. I take apart my bulb and socket to find that the wires and the socket has melted. i find a quick fix for that at the local autobarn. For once i thought itll be easy to get my max back on the streets but no. after i replace the socket and three burnt wires my battery light remains lit and eventually my car dies from the entire battery draining. so just about 2 hrs ago i went to replace the battery i which i still have the warrantee on. i put that in but the light still remains. Why could this be? Did i install the socket and wires wrong? I think all i needed to do was clip off the old wires and attach the new right? Whatelse may be the problem and are the battery, brake and ABS lights associated in some way? please W/B someone.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

1 - get rid of those cheezy **** blue high wattage headlight bulbs
2 - repair the socket and use normal voltage headlight bulbs
3 - have your alternator tested and see if it's still working
Old 07-28-2004, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
1 - get rid of those cheezy **** blue high wattage headlight bulbs
2 - repair the socket and use normal voltage headlight bulbs
3 - have your alternator tested and see if it's still working
would a shorting of a wire affect the condition of the alternator. The alternator was just changed less than a year ago as was working fine every since. Sounds like the only reasonable explanation though since ive checked everything else but do u think the battery light and the brake lights are related?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Admin's GF

your situation sounds like something out of a horror movie. Lord knows i'd freak out. i really need to learn the technicalities of cars

Good Luck to yah...i'm sure someone can help...just not me
Old 07-29-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MiniMaxx
your situation sounds like something out of a horror movie. Lord knows i'd freak out. i really need to learn the technicalities of cars

Good Luck to yah...i'm sure someone can help...just not me
Yea just as you said, out of a horror film. I would expect my car not to start right when the axe murderer is 5 ft behind about to slice my head off. Hopefully someone can help me but thatll still kick me in the *** later on. Im gonan need to find somewhere else other than the org. to sell this piece of junk now.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:34 AM

I do not think that one light is related to the other. If your battery light remains on I believe that it is an indication that eith your charging system is not working or you have a short in your system that is placing a continuous drain on your battery.

Either case requires a trip to a mechanic or your Nissan dealer.

Mr. P
Old 07-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Chassis Freak

DEFINITELY check your alternator. See this thread and the links I posted in it. I know you're a 3rd gen but that sounds suspiciously similar to my alternator problems.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=327474
Old 07-29-2004, 02:04 PM

I had exactly the same thing with the dash...the only thing is that I was driving at night and as soon as I would stop at a traffic light, the lights would dim and the car would die. On the highway it was fine.
It was an alternator, I got lucky because there was a recall for my year
Good Luck