General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

3rd gen vs 4th

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3rd gen vs 4th

Does the 4th gens have a timing belt or are they strictly a chain. Is it true that these engs dont have the variable valve timing and intake like the 3rd ones do. Is the 3rd gen eng as reliable as a 4th gen. I heard they had problems with the variable valve timing spring. Is that a recurrent problem or is it a non-issue once fixed. I am thinking of purchasing a Maxima and I really like the 3rd gen body style and the lower prices of them. The 4th gen is a very good looking car and if it is that much better of an eng I'll probably look for one of them. This is my first time posting and I am very impressed with these forums and the following these cars have.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by yamaguchi
Does the 4th gens have a timing belt or are they strictly a chain. Is it true that these engs dont have the variable valve timing and intake like the 3rd ones do. Is the 3rd gen eng as reliable as a 4th gen. I heard they had problems with the variable valve timing spring. Is that a recurrent problem or is it a non-issue once fixed. I am thinking of purchasing a Maxima and I really like the 3rd gen body style and the lower prices of them. The 4th gen is a very good looking car and if it is that much better of an eng I'll probably look for one of them. This is my first time posting and I am very impressed with these forums and the following these cars have.

4th gens = all timing chains
89-94 GXEs, 89-91 SE's = VG engine, timing belt, no variable timing, more reliable (relative term)
92-94 SEs = VE engine, timing chain, variable timing sprockets DO go bad, make an annoying noise. If fixed correctly the first time, won't be a problem again.

Get a 92-94 SE. It comes with variable timing, variable intake, VLSD (5-speed), early 90's Nissan build quality, and better looks to boot. If the VTCs go bad, ground them to get rid of the noise or invest in rebuilding / replacing them. I love my 3rd gen.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:08 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

3rd gen hands down ill add that the 92-94 se also has independent suspension - something the 4th dosent have. Also nissan went soft in 95 from a sport coupe in 94 to more of a comfy grocery fetcher. NAD IM TALKING STOCK HERE people not most of the modified max's on here you can modify anything to look better and handle a bit nicer. but im talking about off the factory floor. i will say the vq is a better motor, but ive driven both and i wont give up my ve foe a vq 3.0 but i would for the vq 3.5
Old 08-01-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by yamaguchi

All VQ engines are chain driven. In fact, all nissan engines are chain driven.

Here are some variations of the VQ engine:
VQxxDE = No C/VTC with the exception of Neo VQ (with CVTC)
VQxxVE = With VTC (variable valve timing control: INTAKE) and VVL (variable valve lift control: EXHAUST)
VQxxDD = Direct Injection/MPI
Old 08-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Ford Only.

If you can find a 3rd gen VE in good shape, you better snap it up. I was just talking to my brother in law last night (he ows a clean 92 SE too) about how great they are and how rare they are coming. You can get a 4th gen pretty easy now days, but a clean 3rd gen VE is more rare. If you get one, make sure you get a 5 speed, the auto is not fun to drive. When it comes to reliability I would say they are even. Sure...if you talk about the clicking VTCs you could mark down the VE one time, but the truth is bad VTCs do NOTHING to hurt the motor. In fact my VE has 290k+ and has had bad VTCs since 150k'ish.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by MaxCefiro
All VQ engines are chain driven. In fact, all nissan engines are chain driven.

Wrong. The VG engines found in Maximas, 300Z(X)s, are timing belt engines.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Wrong. The VG engines found in Maximas, 300Z(X)s, are timing belt engines.
Sorry. I stand corrected. I forgot that this in an international forum. I'm speaking of domestic market when I said "all nissan engines are chain driven".

We never had VE and VG engines here. Cefiros and Maximas are equipped with CA, RB, and VQ series engines only. We don't release belt driven engines here.