General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Advice if you've ever purchased private sale vehicle by delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 AM

Advice if you've ever purchased private sale vehicle by delivery

You advice would be appreciated if you have purchased a private sale vehicle and had to have it delivered.
I'm looking to do the same and am trying to think of the best way to transfer money safely and also how to get a good representation of the condition of the car.
The fella on the other side is saying I can get 3 days to inspect the car upon delivery and he won't get money until then. He also suggests using SQUARE TRADE (www.squaretrade.com) which I am not familiar with at all, saying it can help set up the shipping and other things. I check the site out and it seems like only dispute resolution and a way to verify a seller.
Seller says they can hold money by wiring funds, while the vehicle ships and then he will get $ afterwards.

Any insight is appreciated ! (especially on the square trade thing)
Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by sil SE
You advice would be appreciated if you have purchased a private sale vehicle and had to have it delivered.
I'm looking to do the same and am trying to think of the best way to transfer money safely and also how to get a good representation of the condition of the car.
The fella on the other side is saying I can get 3 days to inspect the car upon delivery and he won't get money until then. He also suggests using SQUARE TRADE (www.squaretrade.com) which I am not familiar with at all, saying it can help set up the shipping and other things. I check the site out and it seems like only dispute resolution and a way to verify a seller.

Any insight is appreciated !
Thanks
My suggestion is to realize that you have no recourse whatsoever if you get burned. The cost of civil litigation is prohibitive. The only reason I would do it is that I can't find the car any other way. Say you'd like a 2003 M3--in such a case you may go private sale because you simply cannot find a car at a dealership, or, you want the car so badly that you are willing to take a chance. Why buy a Maxima in a private sale? Is it thousands cheaper or something? A 4th gen is only 5 grand anyway, how much cheaper could it be, $800? Not worth it to me. Why would a guy want to give you a car for 3 days with no money? Sounds like a desparate seller imho.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

3 days is the standard for car sale grace period. I saw that when I was at an auto auction. You buy it and you get 3 days to inspect it. After that you either own the car or return it. It's the law.

I'd hire a private company to possible inspect the car. Then have them sign off on the car as "as advertised" or "not as advertised".

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
My suggestion is to realize that you have no recourse whatsoever if you get burned. The cost of civil litigation is prohibitive. The only reason I would do it is that I can't find the car any other way. Say you'd like a 2003 M3--in such a case you may go private sale because you simply cannot find a car at a dealership, or, you want the car so badly that you are willing to take a chance. Why buy a Maxima in a private sale? Is it thousands cheaper or something? A 4th gen is only 5 grand anyway, how much cheaper could it be, $800? Not worth it to me. Why would a guy want to give you a car for 3 days with no money? Sounds like a desparate seller imho.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 AM

No sir it is not a Maxima. I haven't had my max for a year now. I would try that inspector to check the car first but the vehicle is overseas in europe actually and that would be pretty difficult. Basically the guy moved from FL to europe with the vehicle..

Has anyone heard of SQUARETRADE and how it works? -money will be held by them while the car is shipped to me and then inspected. It's endorsed by ebay or something, as you can see the logo next to sellers' names to verify they are credible. so seems pretty legit to me.

by the way the car is a 94 rx7 for a very good deal.