General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

stud in wheel broke...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 06:57 AM

off the other day when I went to get new tires. I didn't think it was a big deal because when the guy was taking the front passenger wheel off, he tells me the nut and the stud is cross threaded and is too tight--and WHAM!! he hit the airgun and the whole thing breaks off. damn...now I know what the heck is causing the shimmy at 70+ miles when I break hard--the guy who rotated my tires and tighten this sucker on probably tightened it too much and warped the rotors. In any case, I call the Nissan dealer--and they want $128 for fixing that one stud with the nut...I was thinking---heck NO!!! are they out of their minds?
my question is--has this happened to anyone else (stud breaking off and having to fix that)-- and what the cost is???
thank you. =)

Brian
Old 09-26-2000, 07:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Funny I just replaced a wheel stud last night. It's not really that hard. Are your rotors still warped or did you get those fixed?

It only cost me about $6 dollars for parts and 20 mins of my time to replace the stud.

If you still need to get you rotors fixed replacing the stud would be a great time.

Here's how I replaced the stud.
1) First jack up the car and take off the wheel.
2) Take off the caliper, only 2 19mm bolts hold it on. Don't disconnect the caliper from the brake line, just let it hang or you can support it with something. Next remove the rotor.
3) Take a hammer and knock out the broken stud. Easy right.
4) Insert the new stud in the hole. This is the slightly tricky part. If you look closely behind the studs you see a slight notch cut out of disk break cover. You'll have to rotate the hole by this notch so you can install the new stud.
5) Next I put the rotor back on an installed a 2 lugnuts to secure the stud.
6) Remove the lugnuts and rotor check to see if the new stud is secure which is should be.
7) Reinstall the rotor and caliper. Torque the 2 caliper bolts to 80Ft/Lbs
8) Finally put the tire back on, lower your car and your finshed.

See Very Simple or you can take it to a tire shop and spend 20-40 bucks to have it replaced.