General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Attn: Porterfield Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 07:48 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

It's my 1st week with the r4s brakepads.
I know they have to be broken into but in the meantime,
is it normal to hear continuous squeeking sound when the car is running?..especially from my front passenger side. The sound goes away when I brake.

AnGe
Old 04-06-2001, 07:53 AM
Vic

did they put antisqueal compound on the pad? (blue gook)... i know they refinished the rotor's so that isn't the problem.
hmm... don't like cricket sounds?
Vic

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
It's my 1st week with the r4s brakepads.
I know they have to be broken into but in the meantime,
is it normal to hear continuous squeeking sound when the car is running?..especially from my front passenger side. The sound goes away when I brake.

AnGe
Old 04-06-2001, 08:08 AM

Mysterious crickets riding on my wheel ~

Yes, they greased up the rotors so it's not the squeeling noise you get when you brake. On the contrary, the sound disappears when I brake. I hope the annoying sound goes away when the brakes are broken in.

Originally posted by Vic
did they put antisqueal compound on the pad? (blue gook)... i know they refinished the rotor's so that isn't the problem. hmm... don't like cricket sounds?
Vic
Old 04-06-2001, 08:10 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

who u calling a "gook"?!?! it's GOOP!

Originally posted by Vic
did they put antisqueal compound on the pad? (blue gook)... i know they refinished the rotor's so that isn't the problem.
hmm... don't like cricket sounds?
Vic

Old 04-06-2001, 08:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Mysterious crickets riding on my wheel ~

did the guy use shims? the noise sounds like a brake pad vibrating (loose). make sure there are shims on it. or use that blue goop to hold it down..i personally don't use that because it's a PITA to do the brakes next time.
BTW i hope they didn't grease up the rotors...maybe the caliper pins and the pad sliding area..not rotors.

Yes, they greased up the rotors so it's not the squeeling noise you get when you brake. On the contrary, the sound disappears when I brake. I hope the annoying sound goes away when the brakes are broken in.

Old 04-06-2001, 08:16 AM
Vic

Re: Re: Mysterious crickets riding on my wheel ~

girl..you should of had dan install it :
Vic

Originally posted by DanNY
did the guy use shims? the noise sounds like a brake pad vibrating (loose). make sure there are shims on it. or use that blue goop to hold it down..i personally don't use that because it's a PITA to do the brakes next time.
BTW i hope they didn't grease up the rotors...maybe the caliper pins and the pad sliding area..not rotors.

Old 04-06-2001, 08:20 AM

Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

Correction- rotors are not greased.
The brakes sqeels whenever the car is rolling. The mechanic says it's because they're new brakepads, the sqeeling will go away in a week or two.

What's PITA Dan?
Old 04-06-2001, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

What's PITA Dan?
Pain In The A$$..
Old 04-06-2001, 11:38 AM

Re: Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

Correction- rotors are not greased.
The brakes sqeels whenever the car is rolling. The mechanic says it's because they're new brakepads, the sqeeling will go away in a week or two.

What's PITA Dan?
When Dan put in my Porterfields there was no squeel, maybe have the shop check it out again. However there was alot of smoke when someone broke my brakes in for me but that's another story.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:13 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

well no one told u to pass your keys to the speed freak!

Originally posted by DavidL7

When Dan put in my Porterfields there was no squeel, maybe have the shop check it out again. However there was alot of smoke when someone broke my brakes in for me but that's another story.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:34 PM

Just drive it hard and brake really hard a few times to get the pads seated and broken in... The idea is to heat them up pretty good with about a dozen hard 70-20MPH aggressive braking exercises, and that's when you'd know you've broken them in (just do this someplace safe)... After that, I doubt you'll have noise to complain about.

I'm putting my R4S pads to good use on the track & on the streets, and they're doing an admirable job too... And I've had no brake squealing here even with the second set of R4S pads that I'm using now, so try that exercise and see if that'll solve your squealing concern...

--Nabil
Old 04-06-2001, 12:54 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well now i think it's too late. you should do that when u first get the pads. the one heat cycle. but give it a shot...maybe it'll work.

Originally posted by Nabil
Just drive it hard and brake really hard a few times to get the pads seated and broken in... The idea is to heat them up pretty good with about a dozen hard 70-20MPH aggressive braking exercises, and that's when you'd know you've broken them in (just do this someplace safe)... After that, I doubt you'll have noise to complain about.

I'm putting my R4S pads to good use on the track & on the streets, and they're doing an admirable job too... And I've had no brake squealing here even with the second set of R4S pads that I'm using now, so try that exercise and see if that'll solve your squealing concern...

--Nabil
Old 04-06-2001, 12:58 PM
MaxRX7

who has the best prices for the pads?

Old 04-06-2001, 01:03 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: who has the best prices for the pads?

call porterfield direct 1800 537-6842. ask for Wendy tell her about the max.org discount. Thank Cheston for setting that up.

Originally posted by MaxRX7
Old 04-06-2001, 01:04 PM

Re: who has the best prices for the pads?

Originally posted by MaxRX7
Check out Maximadriver.com they've got a permanent group deal price from Porterfield I think.
Old 04-06-2001, 01:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

well no one told u to pass your keys to the speed freak!

Well he did break them in real well hehe. Besides that look after the puff of smoke went by was priceless.
Old 04-06-2001, 01:21 PM
MaxRX7

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

Well he did break them in real well hehe. Besides that look after the puff of smoke went by was priceless.
haha, that must have been pretty funny, thanks guys and Cheston.

Old 04-06-2001, 01:32 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GooK? PITA? heh?

smoke and the light sparks was the fun part..LOL..

Old 04-06-2001, 04:58 PM

I installed R4S's front and rear last weekend. The only thing I didn't like was that the front pads don't have holes drilled for the v-shaped springs. Those springs keep the pads away from the rotors. This may be why you hear a dragging sound. I may take mine off and drill them for the springs in the next week or two.

I used the break-in procedure on their website for the R4 (not the R4S) pads. Did I screw up? I warmed the rotors by making several moderate stops, then I made 3-4 stops from 90-10mph until I got almost complete brake fade. Man did I get some smoke! Then I drove at highway speeds for 20 minutes until the rotors were cool.

The only thing I've noticed is that I have very weak braking on the very first application of brakes after sitting overnight. After that, everyting is fine. I figured that since they are a varation of racing pads, and racing pads are designed to work at hotter temps, they don't like to work when they are at 60 deg. F.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-06-2001, 05:14 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you may want to consider getting a shim kit that has the newer design springs. none of that springy clip deal.

it looks like u did the proper break in..so that's good.

with the morning deal..what is the temp around u when u wake up? it made be slight humidity and after a few stops will be back to normal. they are street compound (RS4) so they should work within a wider temp range...even when cold.

Originally posted by sinewave
I installed R4S's front and rear last weekend. The only thing I didn't like was that the front pads don't have holes drilled for the v-shaped springs. Those springs keep the pads away from the rotors. This may be why you hear a dragging sound. I may take mine off and drill them for the springs in the next week or two.

I used the break-in procedure on their website for the R4 (not the R4S) pads. Did I screw up? I warmed the rotors by making several moderate stops, then I made 3-4 stops from 90-10mph until I got almost complete brake fade. Man did I get some smoke! Then I drove at highway speeds for 20 minutes until the rotors were cool.

The only thing I've noticed is that I have very weak braking on the very first application of brakes after sitting overnight. After that, everyting is fine. I figured that since they are a varation of racing pads, and racing pads are designed to work at hotter temps, they don't like to work when they are at 60 deg. F.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-06-2001, 05:50 PM

you may want to consider getting a shim kit that has the newer design springs. none of that springy clip deal.
I didn't know they had a newer design. I'll have to check around for a kit. Do you know what year they changed?

with the morning deal..what is the temp around u when u wake up? it made be slight humidity and after a few stops will be back to normal. they are street compound (RS4) so they should work within a wider temp range...even when cold.
The temps (and the humidity) are pretty high here in New Orleans. The last week has been 65 deg., 90% humidity at 6:30 a.m. It only takes one very easy brake application to clear the problem. I just back out of my driveway (only one car length) to the street, when I apply the brakes to change from reverse to drive I get poor braking. At the stop sign a half a block away, the brakes work fine.

I think you're right, it must be the humidity on the rotors.
Old 04-06-2001, 07:56 PM

hmm

Question:
I know it makes a difference wut kind of rotors you use..

Well I think MaxGurl is runnin the stock rotors with the porterfields..would that affect the noise

Honestly my brakes still squeak from time to time and i've had them on for 10K miles ? i dunno .. i just turn the radio up

Ant
Old 04-07-2001, 09:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

basically if u get the hardware kit i believe it comes with both versions of springs. there's one that clips on the caliper itself. then there's yours with the two wire springs. double check w/ the dealer for application. i'm thinking maybe the 97+ 4th gens and the 3rd gens have this design.

Originally posted by sinewave

I didn't know they had a newer design. I'll have to check around for a kit. Do you know what year they changed?

The temps (and the humidity) are pretty high here in New Orleans. The last week has been 65 deg., 90% humidity at 6:30 a.m. It only takes one very easy brake application to clear the problem. I just back out of my driveway (only one car length) to the street, when I apply the brakes to change from reverse to drive I get poor braking. At the stop sign a half a block away, the brakes work fine.

I think you're right, it must be the humidity on the rotors.
Old 04-08-2001, 07:42 AM

test run.. for the brakes

Did two runs late last night, applying brakes (hard) from 80-10mph. There was a burned-plastic-like smell from coming from the wheels afterwards . As I rode the car around to cool off the rotors, I noticed no sounds from my front passenger over 30mph, but still squeels along if I drive under 30mph.

Ange

basically if u get the hardware kit i believe it comes with both versions of springs. there's one that clips on the caliper itself. then there's yours with the two wire springs. double check w/ the dealer for application. i'm thinking maybe the 97+ 4th gens and the 3rd gens have this design.
Old 04-08-2001, 07:45 AM
Vic

Re: test run.. for the brakes

lesson of the nite...
drive faster
Vic

Did two runs late last night, applying brakes (hard) from 80-10mph. There was a burned-plastic-like smell from coming from the wheels afterwards . As I rode the car around to cool off the rotors, I noticed no sounds from my front passenger over 30mph, but still squeels along if I drive under 30mph.

Ange

Old 04-08-2001, 07:58 AM

Re: Re: test run.. for the brakes

Strapped Down, Drive Fast, Brake Hard... that should work..

AnGe

Originally posted by Vic
lesson of the nite...
drive faster
Vic
Old 04-12-2001, 08:48 AM

Re: STILL Squealing...

Sorry for bringing this subject back from the dead. My brakes still squealing like a dying pig. It's sad when someone can't do the job right and wants $$$ to fix the problem that shouldn't be there IF the job was done CORRECTLY

I'm being patient with this daymn brake noise but it's not progressing at all.
Old 04-12-2001, 11:58 AM

slightly different setup, but same problem at beginning. i installed stillen slotted rotors and stillen metal matrix pads. the pads didnt have the holes for the v-springs. the brakes made grinding noises for about 30 miles, when starting from a stop. usually after i get to about 35 mph, the noise goes away until the next time i start from a stop.

theres not too much to mess up because i was able to do the install myself.

if the noise hasnt gone away after about 50 miles of driving, you should probably re-check the pads to make sure that they are fitted on the holders properly....

dfwmax
Old 04-15-2001, 07:49 PM

Re: I paid $140 bucks for the Mechanic to forget my shims!

I noiced that there are NO SHIMS on my brakepads, could that be the problem?

did the guy use shims? the noise sounds like a brake pad vibrating (loose). make sure there are shims on it....maybe the caliper pins and the pad sliding area..not rotors.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:06 AM

i think you need shims. when i replaced my brakes, i took off the original shims from the factory pads and put them on my new pads. there should be two shims for the side with the piston and one on the other side. i think all they do is take up some space....

i think you can get shims from dealership in a kit, and the installation will be pretty easy. just loosen the top caliper bolt and take off the bottom caliper bolt. slide up the caliper and pop off the pads....

dfwmax
Old 04-16-2001, 06:35 AM
Vic

yup... need shims to prevent it from squuuuuuuuuueeeeeeal =)
Vic

Originally posted by DFWmax
i think you need shims. when i replaced my brakes, i took off the original shims from the factory pads and put them on my new pads. there should be two shims for the side with the piston and one on the other side. i think all they do is take up some space....

i think you can get shims from dealership in a kit, and the installation will be pretty easy. just loosen the top caliper bolt and take off the bottom caliper bolt. slide up the caliper and pop off the pads....

dfwmax