General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Rotors....which ones are for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:57 PM

Rotors....which ones are for me?

Well i think i might be needing some new rotors soon since i think mine might be warped a little. anyway should i go for cross drilled, slotted cross drilled, blank or slotted? i will probably be buying brembos from automax in the group deals section. i have done some braking from 120 mph to 40 so that might what have messed up my current rotors but who knows. i hear cross drilled rotors crack easily but why do cars like corvettes and porsches use cross drilled brakes?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 AM

I bought slotted stillen rotors for my 96 when I warped my stocks in autocross. I found the stillen cheaper then brembo, and not too much more then stock Nissan ones, they didnt warp when I used them at autocross, and sounded pretty damn cool braking from high speeds, you can hear them cooling, oh and I drove very hard
Old 09-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what type were they?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Do a search on google. You don't want drilled rotors on the street. They will crack and they cannot be turned.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by FameMax
I bought slotted stillen rotors for my 96 when I warped my stocks in autocross. I found the stillen cheaper then brembo, and not too much more then stock Nissan ones, they didnt warp when I used them at autocross, and sounded pretty damn cool braking from high speeds, you can hear them cooling, oh and I drove very hard
The Stillens are brembos. lol
Old 09-14-2004, 12:10 PM

so slotted would proabably be my best bet? do slotted rotors make a lot more noise when braking compared to blanks
Old 09-14-2004, 01:53 PM
SLOW

The cross drilled rotos on race cars are of much higher quality than the el cheapo ones you can get for a maxima which are just blanks that some company decided to drill a few holes into without regard to where the holes were being drilled (i.e. through a vane wall or the vane itself), and also, race rotors are changed after every race so the longevity of the rotor isn't a factor so whether or not they crack isn't a big deal so long as the cracks don't diminish the performance of the rotor or create a safety hazard.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Do a search on google. You don't want drilled rotors on the street. They will crack and they cannot be turned.
I ran stillen cross drilled on my maxima for 25k , never had any issues........ They can be turned but require a special procedure ....... So all in all there are better choices for daily drivers....
Old 09-14-2004, 09:43 PM

25k....is that a good amount of time for rotors? i think i might just get blank rotors unless slotted will give me better braking performance or resists warping more
Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 PM
SLOW

Pads have the largest influence on braking performance. Slotting will have some effect if you do repeated stops without letting the brakes cool, by keeping the pad surface fresh and free of glaze, however for normal or even agressive street driving you would see no positive difference. The only difference you would see would be a severely increased pad wear and dust levels. Get blanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:56 PM

thx a lot nealoc u just sealed my decision on getting blanks. anyone know where i can get oem nissan brake pads? i hear those are good and dont squeak
Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM

The Stillen ones said stillen on them and the Brembos said Brembo, no where on the box or rotors did they say Brembo, and yes they were cheaper
Old 09-15-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cool J
thx a lot nealoc u just sealed my decision on getting blanks. anyone know where i can get oem nissan brake pads? i hear those are good and dont squeak
I run Axxis Deluxe on my car, but I am switching to the Ultimates next