General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Project Car in Sport Compact Car Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Maxima Project Car in Sport Compact Car Magazine

Sport Compact Car has this poll going as to what car they should do up next as their new project car. I read the magazine alot and thanx to Sport Compact Car alot of new cool items have been brought into production for diff kinds of cars- Subaru 2.5RS for instance back in the day if anyone remembers, custom turbo kit that started off to be the 1st kit which anyone could purchase. I'm thinking if alot of us bombard Sport Compact Car about it, we could get a Maxima to be their project car. Problem is do we pick a 3.0L or a 3.5L ? one has been in production from 95-01 and the other has been around for 3 years going on 4th year. I would love to see some cams being compared, headers, different custom intake manifolds n such. Sport Compact Car gives out true HP gains in their magazine, if anyone read their Project Probe GT about 6 years ago or so... will notice that they lost HP with headers n exhausts and pretty much exposed the companies who advertised stuff that was gonna gain power and did not. Lets vote a Maxima into Sport Compact Car's Project vehicle line up !
Old 09-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

we have a mid-sized sedan, so i dont think out car fits the magz profile.

But who knows.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Maxima Mike

I know what they could do if they picked the Maxima. RWD conversion!

Old 09-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That would be pretty damn cool . .. I would subscribe to SCC if they had a Maxima as their project car.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:40 PM
SLOW

Good idea. Should we send them emails or what? I think it would be awesome, and I remember that Probe GT that lost power way back when. They couldn't figure out wtf was going on and eventually gave up on it I believe. I think the 4th gen fits the profile of the magazine a bit better but I would be up for anything.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:42 PM

They asked that question in the last issue, what makes a compact a compact ? they featured cars ranging from 70s 510 Datsuns, to the new Ford GT. Toyota Supra or Nissan Skyline aint really a compact car eighter. In real life R33 or R34 Skylines are very big cars. I for one am sick of seing Civics and Integras in the magazines, I think the whole Honda thing is slowly ending. I rarelly see a Honda in Sports Compact Car as a feature, unless its something pretty cool and don't look like some kinda IMPORT SHOW OFF show car.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:50 PM

"Question of the Month"
"Coverage in this magazine ranges from old Datsun 510s to brand-new NSXs. Consider the name of the magazine, and then tell us what you think makes a car a "sport compact car"
Think bout it, then send your non-stupid answers to sccnews@primedia.com . E-mail only. And Dont forget to tell us your name and where you're from."

From the 32nd page of this months Sport Compact Car- November 04 issue.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Hooooooonda.....

They asked about what car we want worked on in the last issue, this issue has the question you asked right above me. A maxima isn't a sport compact, then again neither is a civic or half the other crappy cars they got in there.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:00 PM

all ready sent in My e mail
Old 09-27-2004, 11:09 PM

They would really want to pick a 4th gen... not whoring for my car, but their core readership is going to be driving something cheap. They're going to want to pick something most readers can afford and 4th gens are getting very, very cheap. Just look at the posts in the 4th gen forum if you disagree...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:21 AM

I'm in for a 4th gen too, as almost all the engine mods will apply to my DE-K engine. And 4th gens are reallllly cheap. All I want out of this is a awesome intake manifold and good set of camshafts, maybe they will do something about that. Stock cams are less aggressive than the ones in my moms 00 Altima automatic.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:55 AM

It would be great if SCC did a project Maxima. About 2 months ago there burn-out of the month was a 5 speed 4 Gen.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 AM

i think this is a bad idea.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:51 AM

why is it a bad idea ? Only good things could come out of it.... no one wants to make us any good cams or intake manifolds- and this is where the power is. Our cams are soo mild that I think a Geo Metro has a wilder cam in it than our cars. But unless ya like a smooth idle, then cams are out of the question for ya.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
no one wants to make us any good cams
JWT has a set available, and you can get blanks and get them ground to whatever you want! So cam options are unlimited. /offtopic

I think it could be good and bad. The maxima is not the sleeper car it used to be (as they are becoming extremely cheap and available now and more kids are messing with them)

Good would be the possibility of companies realizing there is a car with a following, and increased supply and variety of parts available.

Bad would be the push towards a more civic-like car. More press = more kids buying them up and putting on a intake, muffler and skyline body kit. I'd rather see the current grandmas putt around in them, rather than the maxima take a turn farther towards the rice industry.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:25 AM

I think I have seen more riced out and ghettofied maximas than nice clean ones.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by geo1317
we have a mid-sized sedan, so i dont think out car fits the magz profile.

But who knows.
They always show a Lexus IS300 in their mag so why not a Maxima? A while ago they did the Maxima/Altima comparison when the Altima had a body change.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:33 AM

give me an email address and i will blow up their email.

Tony
Old 09-28-2004, 01:39 PM

why is it a bad idea ? Only good things could come out of it.... no one wants to make us any good cams or intake manifolds- and this is where the power is. Our cams are soo mild that I think a Geo Metro has a wilder cam in it than our cars. But unless ya like a smooth idle, then cams are out of the question for ya.
allow me to clarify my statement. ive been driving maximas since before i had a liscence since 89. and the maxima in all of its beauty has never been a "mainstream" car for the tuner masses. if we end up with one on the cover of a magazine then great her time was due. but when that happens we lose the ability to blend in with the masses and remain sleepers. cause every high school kid in the world is gonna start making "project" maximas and then its gonna get stupid and the real enthusiast who love the maxima are going to have a hard time enjoying their car when there are a large amount of them on the road whos drivers have no real appreciation of the maxima.

my thoughts.

navfe-
Old 09-28-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
allow me to clarify my statement. ive been driving maximas since before i had a liscence since 89. and the maxima in all of its beauty has never been a "mainstream" car for the tuner masses. if we end up with one on the cover of a magazine then great her time was due. but when that happens we lose the ability to blend in with the masses and remain sleepers. cause every high school kid in the world is gonna start making "project" maximas and then its gonna get stupid and the real enthusiast who love the maxima are going to have a hard time enjoying their car when there are a large amount of them on the road whos drivers have no real appreciation of the maxima.

my thoughts.

navfe-

i understand where you are coming from on that one.....seeing a modded maxima on the road is a real treat and means that they know whats up and i have more respect for them...because i see them as a person who has a great appreciation. if a maxima does get on the cover of a magazine and becomes like a rice boy civic....it will be looked at as "oh, its only a maxima" instead of what it is now "oh man is that a maxima?!?!?!?" I say nay to the magazine.

Tony
Old 09-28-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
I think I have seen more riced out and ghettofied maximas than nice clean ones.

Unfortunetly, I must agree, I see too many ghettofied and ricey Maximas around.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Custom User Title

The maxima is not the sleeper car it used to be (as they are becoming extremely cheap and available now and more kids are messing with them)
Haha... You got that right. I picked my car up for $1000!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
Unfortunetly, I must agree, I see too many ghettofied and ricey Maximas around.
Same here, I remember when I would about run off the road if I saw another Maxima with clear corners or tint. Now I see them all over the place with massive chrome wheels, 4x4 wheel gap, and altezzas. I could only imagine if they were featured on the cover of a magazine.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:25 PM

You guys are over-exaggarating with the whole rice scene and Maximas. 1st of all I don't think the people who put on chrome wheels and altezzas read sport compact car, and 2nd of all, Maxima is not going to apeal to the ricer generation of today. Who wants to be seen in a 4 door sedan thats not a BMW or Benz ? Todays fad is AWD Turbo cars, Neon SRT4s, Scion xBs and 240SXs. I do not think Maxima is going to become the next Civic. Everyone knows Maximas where always fast, and after having owned a few VERY fast Sentra SE-Rs I never seen many of them on the streets, and yet every import magazine out there had one or 2 for a project car ! I just want more parts that are high quality avalible for our cars. Plus I am sick of the 350Z getting all the VQ credit.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I miss the .org!

If you do, I suggest the 5.5 gen because of the VQ35 motor, since it's shared with the Z/G platforms. That means more parts, and more aftermarket potential for the future.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:49 PM

yeah but boosting a FWD VQ will not cross over to the RWD/AWD platforms. There are more 3.0Ls out there than 3.5s. 95-01 Maxima- which is ALOT of cars. I just want a project Maxima so I can follow it and maybe get some new high performance parts out of it. I'm sick of waiting and waiting for a company to make a bolt on turbo Ypipe. I don't want the whole kit, but just a good quality Y pipe.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:14 PM

yeah but boosting a FWD VQ will not cross over to the RWD/AWD platforms. There are more 3.0Ls out there than 3.5s. 95-01 Maxima- which is ALOT of cars. I just want a project Maxima so I can follow it and maybe get some new high performance parts out of it. I'm sick of waiting and waiting for a company to make a bolt on turbo Ypipe. I don't want the whole kit, but just a good quality Y pipe.
cattman performance is the best hands down

Tony
Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 PM

i will honestly like to see a 4th gen on the magazine as a project car.
that will trully bring out the beast from the within.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:49 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

You guys are over-exaggarating with the whole rice scene and Maximas. 1st of all I don't think the people who put on chrome wheels and altezzas read sport compact car, and 2nd of all, Maxima is not going to apeal to the ricer generation of today. Who wants to be seen in a 4 door sedan thats not a BMW or Benz ? Todays fad is AWD Turbo cars, Neon SRT4s, Scion xBs and 240SXs. I do not think Maxima is going to become the next Civic. Everyone knows Maximas where always fast, and after having owned a few VERY fast Sentra SE-Rs I never seen many of them on the streets, and yet every import magazine out there had one or 2 for a project car ! I just want more parts that are high quality avalible for our cars. Plus I am sick of the 350Z getting all the VQ credit.
I don't own neither a 4th or 5th gen, but I gotta agree with this statement! The basic interpretation for the majority of 'kid-America', is "four door=granny grocery getter" (no offense to the Evo's, WRX's, and the ilk). You can put a 4th gen on two or three magazine covers, and it'll NEVER become the cultural icon defining "rice" that Honda/Acura has become. Sure, it'll raise some eyebrows and make a few folks go out and procure themselves one. But even if it gets major-league sponsorship (i.e., manufacturer-backed), the Maxima will still be the same 'sleeper' it has been.

Food for thought... do the dishes!
Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 AM
SLOW

Altezza lights and big chrome you see on cars and trucks and SUVs today have absolutely nothing to do with the import car revolution or magazines like sport compact car. Those people get those things because they see the big chrome wheels in MTV music videos and they get the altezza lights because their friend with the brand new Yukon Denali had them put on there. Not because they read sport compact car magazine.

I don't think anything but good can come from this, except a slight heightened awareness of the potential of the maxima, in the eyes of the few people who actually would bother to read a section about a project maxima.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:18 AM
I miss the .org!

I do agree it will never happen, and the Maxima isn't a compact. I had this debate already w/someone else...can't remember who haha...
Old 09-29-2004, 08:21 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
and the Maxima isn't a compact
Neither are the supras, skylines, IS300s, RX7s, 300ZXs, 350Zs, etc, etc, etc that they feature. If that magazine were limited to the vehicles mentioned in the title "Sport Compact" it have about 3 different models in it and that's it.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

you wanna project maxima---- log onto maxima.org they got hundreds of them..