General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Almost got killed on the freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 12:10 AM

Last night I was driving on the 405 South towards Irvine. All of a sudden this tire comes flying towards me. I didn't get a chance to see it cuz the car in front of me hit it too. Anyhow, it hit my left front bumper and left huge scrapes, but it could have been a lot worse (as in flying towards my windshield). Whew! Close call!
Old 04-12-2001, 02:26 AM

man, glad to see that is all that happened. you are lucky. good to hear you are ok.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:18 AM

Glad u're ok. I got into a similar situation before. Was switching from the left lane into a middle lane right behind an audi when all of a sudden this audi switched into the right lane. What do I see after he switched lane?...a rolling tire going across my lane about 1 car length in front, and yes I just held on while in total shock. Turn out a guy was changing his truck tire in the breakdown lane and it got away from him.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:33 AM

similar situation last night, but with a kid on the road. looks like the father and son (not sure) with broken down car, which they pulled off into the center median.... well, on this 8 lane highway segment, the kid runs across the 4 lanes to get to the other side. i was working on a hi-acceleration lane change to pass a slower suv, only to see this kid running across in front of me, so i had to hit the brakes to slow down to let the kid make it across my lane..

thankfully the kid didnt freeze in his steps or anything, he could have been killed. you get that stunned shock feeling when you see something that looks out of place, like a kid in the middle of the freeway.....

dfwmax
Old 04-12-2001, 09:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yup

Glad you're ok.

I've got one from last fall.. driving up an onramp, really flooring it up to highway speed .. looking back over my left shoulder to check for traffic to merge with.. up to like 60 now.. then look ahead and there is a guy at DEAD 100% STOP in the travel lane. Luckily the outer lane was clear and I yanked the wheel hard left (no time to brake) and I missed the guy by maybe an inch. It woulda been BAD.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:27 AM

argh, you gotta hate those entrance ramp stoppers...... big danger to everyone....

dfwmax
Old 04-12-2001, 10:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DFWmax
argh, you gotta hate those entrance ramp stoppers...... big danger to everyone....

dfwmax

Yup. I was thankin Stillen for my FSTB and RSB that day... that one really freaked me out.
Old 04-12-2001, 10:18 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I was cruisin in the left lane and someone is comin up behind me. I look over my right shoulder to see if there's room for me to move over (I'm nice that way). I look back straight just in time to see the car in front of me swerve around some kind of funiture. The median was wide so I swerved left around it and bounced it off the passenger front door. Fishtailed back an forth in the median until my brain said "Take your foot of the brake and STEER, YOU IDIOT!" Then I jumped back in and only lost three places in traffic. Now I have a nice big dent and that window doesnt go down all the way.
Old 04-12-2001, 10:19 AM

Demian... glad to hear you're okay. That kind of experience makes you move your seat closer to the window, grip the steering wheel tighter and gives you a reality check. phew... been there...

-Randy...
Old 04-12-2001, 10:30 AM

i got freaked out when my car was new. i was heading north on I-35, going home. i was behind a semi, and i wanted to change lanes, i didn't want my paint to suffer, when all the sudden the truck runs off the road onto the shoulder, i was like, "WTF!!". i look straight ahead and i see this huge green thing, so i followed the truck and went onto the shoulder, i had no idea what the hell that thing was. this 4runner behind me ran into it. it turned out to be a rubbermaid garbage can, the big 45 gal ones. i dont think anything would have happened to, except for some scratches, it was just freaky. all i want to know is, how the hell did a 45 gallon rubbermaid garbage can end up on I-35?
Old 04-12-2001, 06:40 PM

Last year, I was driving our rental car through Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona and Flagstaff, AZ with one of my work associates. I was driving right at the speed limit. I asked her to help keep watch for wild game in the road. I scanned along the tree line on the left, she scanned the tree line on the right. Just *minutes* after I asked her to help me keep watch, we topped a small rise in the road, and right in the middle of the road is a big-a$$ elk or mule deer fawn. I'm not sure what it was, but the darn thing looked 20' tall! She hollered, I hit my brakes, the big fawn toddled off the road, and we missed getting a furry hood ornament by less than 10 feet. Whew. Close call.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:58 PM

shame that CA never got its way

there was a bill in CA that was to remove all cars from the road when they reached 15 or something. Somehow it was to exclude the classic goats or SSs and what not. The idea was to remove junk from CA's roads. The owners would be paid something for the scrap value of their vehicles, maybe $50.

It's bad where I live, all kinds of unregistered and uninsured vehicles on the road, while the cops are eating Tastykakes and letting it slide *lol*. Way too many incidents all over the city. I ran over something on the expressway that caused damage to my undercarriage, there was no way to avoid it. It's a pain in the butt especially if it's a piece of a junk vehicle.
Old 04-12-2001, 08:47 PM

Don't they have inspections is CA? I'm sure they do given the scrictness of emission laws.

Anyway, I hated driving in Austin when I was in school. Some idiot engineer got the bright idea that cars should stop in the acceleration lane and then attempt to merge. So the main highway has these gargantuan walls as you enter the freeway so you can't see the traffic that's already on the freeway. Plus the entrance ramps are about 25 yards long. You are at the mercy of people on the freeway. Somehow I managed not to get hit in my slow ford granada.

TMAX