General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

REALLY miss the maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

REALLY miss the maxima

Like I said, I am really starting to miss the ol maxima. I had a 98 SE 5speed and traded her in for my 05' SRT-4. Call me a traitor or whatever but I wanted something different, (Turbo to be exact) and turboing the max just seemed like a bltch. But seriously most of the posts on srtforums.com are so lame. I know my car now is faster than my old maxima but I know it's not all that, yet. And that there is something always faster. But 75% of the SRT owners think their car is a ferrari or something. Anyway,just wanted to vent and say how much I miss the maxima. I'm really starting to think about saving 5-6k for another max(an older one 95-96).

one thing is at 200 lbs, the leather maxima seats are so much more comfortable than the SRT's racing seats(hurts my butt on long drives)
Old 10-25-2004, 10:32 PM
I love lamp.

Don't ya hate that? You give something up for something you think is better....but only to end up sacrificing things like comfort, smoothness, and in many cases, reliability. Either way, good luck on finding another 4th gen. Prices seem to be getting down there, so you should easily find a decent one for 5-6k.

S
Old 10-25-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Don't ya hate that? You give something up for something you think is better....but only to end up sacrificing things like comfort, smoothness, and in many cases, reliability. Either way, good luck on finding another 4th gen. Prices seem to be getting down there, so you should easily find a decent one for 5-6k.

S
ehh, I wouldn't quite put it that way. Don't get me wrong, I love my new car but I guess it's a trade off. Comfort for more performance. Turbo boost is addictive It's not the same as nitrous in my old maxima. Even though my butt hurts in those "viper seats" in long trips, they hold me in like a **** during turns.
And reliablilty? I don't know how it's gonna hold up yet having only 2000 miles on my car but I have 7yr/70k powertrain warranty. And one of the big reasons I decided trade the max in was cause I went thru 3 manual trannies
due to 3rd gear problems. the srt is supposed to have a bulletproff tranny(we shall find out)
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The SRT4 looks like a really fun car to drive around, if you can get past the fact that the interior feels a little cheap + non power rear windows. I wouldnt mind having an SRT4 to drive around , I bet 9/10 I would take the SRT4 over the Max if I had them both in front of my house and it was time to go to work / school.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
The SRT4 looks like a really fun car to drive around, if you can get past the fact that the interior feels a little cheap + non power rear windows. I wouldnt mind having an SRT4 to drive around , I bet 9/10 I would take the SRT4 over the Max if I had them both in front of my house and it was time to go to work / school.

oh believe me,, no rear pw sucks. but i got over it with boost.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:11 PM
brotherhood of tq

no power rear windows....sucks for those sitting in the back while u r hauling butt down the road. i would take a srt-4 in a sec and just take the rear power stuff from any other dodge car.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:33 AM
faster than you think

lol cheap a** car
Old 10-26-2004, 12:37 AM

i cant believe you gave up on the maxima... poor car
Old 10-26-2004, 01:01 AM

Get the maxima back. SRT are crap. You could have looked into a preowned, EVO or a WRX or even a 350Z . Something between them lines. Well good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:49 AM

Hahaha...it ain't all about speed...

With that said, i wish my car was faster...
Old 10-26-2004, 07:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Should have swapped a 00-01 tranny in there and saved on the 3rd gear headaches.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 AM

you should have purchased a preowned car.. ... eww. srt-4?? it's a freakin' NEON!!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:45 AM
brotherhood of tq

its not a neon...
Old 10-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by minsbang
you should have purchased a preowned car.. ... eww. srt-4?? it's a freakin' NEON!!
No matter how much you guys try to diss that car, it runs like a bat out of hell. Neon or not.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 PM

Like you said save some $$$ and later down the road get a 4th gen.
For now enjoy the srt-4
Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 PM

I drove the SRT and I wasn't that impressed. I still liked my max more. Since I wanted boost, I just keep the max and bought a 240 and did a sr20 motor swap. Much more of a fun car, rear wheel drive and you don't have to drive a neon.

But, as long as you are happy with the car, then that is what matters.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 PM

Hey everyone has different opinions on cars. I know from first hand. I used to own a 1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe 5 speed DOHC. It was a pretty fast car. The thing about the car was i was under the hood more than i was driving it. It only had about 64,000 miles on it. I replaced the timming, tranny, clutch, tons of sensors, rack opionion stering, etc etc. The funny part is i only put 25,000 miles on it. Very cheaply made. It was crap. So thats my opinion on neon. I would never go gack to Domestic cars again. Imports all the way. BTW my next car is gonna be a preowned EVO, WRX STI, 350Z, G35 Coupe.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
its not a neon...
Yeah it is. It's just got a different name and powertrain, but it's a neon at heart, just as the Spec V is a sentra.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tman6429
Get the maxima back. SRT are crap. You could have looked into a preowned, EVO or a WRX or even a 350Z . Something between them lines. Well good luck.
my boy has the neon stage 2 and we ran at springvalley. its a nice car but not that fast for a boosted car, after the run ironically we both broke down at the same time. i melted my crank pulley and he blew a spark plug but i won.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by C MAX
my boy has the neon stage 2 and we ran at springvalley. its a nice car but not that fast for a boosted car, after the run ironically we both broke down at the same time. i melted my crank pulley and he blew a spark plug but i won.

I know how neons are. They use cheap parts to cut costs down. Well atleast more then one person agrees with me.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Maxima95Tuner

For all that think it's just a neon, or that it has no power, go on to www.azmaximas.org and talk to EVL SRT. That car is the sickest SRT I've seen in my life, and I guarantee you, after you go out for a ride in his car, it won't just be a neon anymore.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:17 PM

I don't really think alot of people care on how fast a neon is. There is alot of fast cars out there. The reputation the neon sits on its not really good. Whenever anyone heres the name Neon the first thing that pops into my head its crap. Nothing fancy about going fast, as long its reliability. So i would sell you SRT and buy a something better. Its like going to payless and buying $20 boots and going buying $100 tims. Its where the reputations stands at. Neons reputation isn't all that good.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Who cares if it's fast?? There are many other slower cars I would buy before dishing out 18k on an SRT. At the end of the day, it's just a fast Neon. So what?? I wouldn't be able to live with my decision if i got it...
Old 10-26-2004, 09:17 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah fast is nice. But it's hard to go fast when you only have 5 feet of space between your car and the car in front of you.

S
Old 10-26-2004, 10:21 PM
vsamoylov

i would never trade my car in. and if i had a srt-4 in front of my garage, which i will never have, i would still drive the max.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Oh hi....

So many haters of the SRT-4. No it isn't as comfortable, no it doesn't have all of the features, yes it is faster and always will be(just wait for the stage3R kit to be on some cars for all the naysayers). As for the transmissions, they are far from bulletproof, I have personally seen one car and the two trannies that came off of it. It is now on its 3rd transmission. The '05 tranny is a bit better, so you should be fine. If you upgrade the clutch, take care of which one you get, the Spec is a piece, get the new Mopar performance unit.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:49 AM

let's get this clear. the srt-4 is a neon! (modified neon)
when we see it on the road, what does it look like?? a dodge neon.
When people see the car on the road, most will say "oh, that's a neon", not "oh, that's a neon srt-4"

It goes the same with the Evo, it's a modified lancer.
STI=modified WRX

I know some of you won't agree with me, but that's just the way i see things.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:51 AM

I don't really think alot of people care on how fast a neon is. There is alot of fast cars out there. The reputation the neon sits on its not really good. Whenever anyone heres the name Neon the first thing that pops into my head its crap. Nothing fancy about going fast, as long its reliability. So i would sell you SRT and buy a something better. Its like going to payless and buying $20 boots and going buying $100 tims. Its where the reputations stands at. Neons reputation isn't all that good.
actually, neon's reputation sucks..
Old 10-27-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by kcgc187
aSo many haters of the SRT-4. , yes it is faster and always will be(just wait for the stage3R kit to be on some cars for all the naysayers).
the stock neon isnt faster than a stock maxima. a modded neon SRT-4 is not faster than a modded maxima. people on this board have seen me destroy a 18lb neon by about 8 cars with only 9lbs of boost in a auto at that.but for a neon its beautiful.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 PM

hmmm. preowned EVO? You don't know who dogged the hell out of it before. WRX? I test drove one and no offense to any owners, it felt like a dog (stock) even my 5 spd max felt faster. 350Z? I love those cars but even a used one goes for $25-26 k in my hood. SRT-4 NEON was the best bang for the buck, I love fast luxury cars but this is what I wanna drive for the next 2-3 years!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
No matter how much you guys try to diss that car, it runs like a bat out of hell. Neon or not.

thanks deezo. Seems like everyone is hating on me now since I drive a different car(NEON) I thought this board was more mature than that. You guys are starting to sound just as bad as the srtforums.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxsel
thanks deezo. Seems like everyone is hating on me now since I drive a different car(NEON) I thought this board was more mature than that. You guys are starting to sound just as bad as the srtforums.
I'm not hating on it. I'm just saying I wouldn't buy one. Maybe you just care too much what we think. If you're happy with your purchase, more power to ya.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:09 PM

i dont like american cars or a neon at that but to all the ppl dissiing the srt4...wtf the car is 21k new and is a great lil car to build on, i

stock srt4 is as fast if not faster than stock 350z

98maxsel maybe its jealousy or the fact that they know its a faster car and have to justify why they like thier car better or soemthing, most ppl hear brag about eating lil hondas but dotn wnat to admit a lil neon will hand you our *** i know i wanted to get one too and im 195lb so from your experience of them seat i have to think more on it ill prob jsut go with a is300 after winter
Old 10-27-2004, 05:16 PM

It's not all about speed buddy.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:18 PM

no its not but damn the srt4 is good value for what you are getting i mean 21k ... you cant really beat that imo better preformace>****ty interior
Old 10-27-2004, 05:28 PM

i have had personal experince with dodge and i think the way they are built just plain sucks...we had a dodge for three years. bought it brand new and had nothing but problems...then we bought a same year Lexus LS400..still have the car and its been ten years and its still running strong. i don't like dodge or any american car for that matter because i think they are poorly built cars...they look nice, but just NOT built well...

i am glad to see you are happy with your new purchase, my mechanic has one and its a fast car, but it just doesn't do it for me. you will see what i mean about dodge once you have the car for a little while...if you only plan on having that car for 2-3 years like you said, that is long enough, because it won't last past that.

congrats on your new car, everyone loves a new car and enjoy it while it lasts.

Tony
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by goodhead
no its not but damn the srt4 is good value for what you are getting i mean 21k ... you cant really beat that imo better preformace>****ty interior
For 21k, neon srt-4, AKA NEON, AKA Dodge Neon, is not my choice. Ever think why it's so cheap for that amount of performance??
Old 10-27-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
It's not all about speed buddy.

umm. Did I say it was? To me right now speed is a Big influence, since "I" bought this neon for speed, not comfort.

to everyone else:
I know Dodge in general has a crappy reputation about quality but if you haven't been in a newer car lately, you can't speak. You guys actually sit in a srt neon? Sit in a 45k Durango? 80k Viper? Exactly. I don't know why ppl are dissing. I'm stilla Nissan fan, I love maximas, I'm glad everyone else's maxima is in good shape, but my old 98 max se had rattles, a lot of tranny problems which led me to trade her in.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by minsbang
For 21k, neon srt-4, AKA NEON, AKA Dodge Neon, is not my choice. Ever think why it's so cheap for that amount of performance??

UM OK SO WHAT NEW CAR FOR 21K ARE YOU BUYING FOR PREFORMANCE?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Maxima95Tuner

This SRT will hand anyone here their ***, guaranteed. I had no respect at all for a "neon" until I saw his car. It's not dropped on 19 inch gunmetal rims. This winter at the track will prove the 11 second car. He's put about 5 grand into it...

Quick Reply: REALLY miss the maxima