General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ALMOST bought a JETTA, looking at Maximas again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:37 PM

ALMOST bought a JETTA, looking at Maximas again...

Almost bought a 2001 Jetta VR6 5-speed loaded, 31k miles, including sport package. I test drove it and a 2001 maxima. VR6 has much better handling and I loved it, until I started checking reviews online, we had already made a down payment! Apparently the Jetta has some serious issues and a rediculous amount of them are lemons, its mostly auto tranmissions and the 1.8 T engine but it was still risky, kinda sad, that car is HOT. Looking for a 2002 max 6-speed

Have you guys heard anything about jettas?, i still secretly want to find a reason to get it

This is the Jetta
http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/use...Ztbz1KZXR0YQ--

This is why I didn't buy it
http://myvwlemon.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
Old 10-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Not to mention that the Jetta has had the same body styling for YEARS. Pass.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The VR6 is another great engine kind of like the VQ series. I say if you like the look , feel, and overall effect, go for it. I took a chance with something other than Nissan and love it, even though its domestic and an economy piece of pile like some here would say.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jace1283
Have you guys heard anything about jettas?, i still secretly want to find a reason to get it
Everyone has problems with their VWs...don't get one you'll regret it. Hell even VW enthusiasts warn people that if you've been driving an Acura or something you're not gonna enjoy the VW and all the problems that come with it. I was considering a VW before I got the Max too...but I didnt want my car in the shop for a new problem every month.

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Not to mention that the Jetta has had the same body styling for YEARS. Pass.
Yeah but those same designs age extremely well...very classy and clean looking cars.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice another Pats fan.. Hell yah go pats..

Oh anywayz..

(vader voice) Come to the dark side and leave the german crap alone...(/Vader voice)

Good luck on a max.

Proph
Old 10-29-2004, 05:37 AM

I'd say depends on how long you plan on keeping that Jetta. If you just want to have it for 2 yrs then go for it. Otherwise it is an absolute no-no. BTW looks are kinda ghey lol
Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
BTW looks are kinda ghey lol

Maxima looks like a mom-mobile...when stock at least
Old 10-29-2004, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ludacris

Maxima looks like a mom-mobile...when stock at least

well at least not like a Hyundai Accent on 20"s lol
Old 10-29-2004, 07:12 AM

well at least not like a Hyundai Accent on 20"s lol
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 AM

Almost bought a 2001 Jetta VR6 5-speed loaded, 31k miles, including sport package. I test drove it and a 2001 maxima. VR6 has much better handling and I loved it, until I started checking reviews online, we had already made a down payment! Apparently the Jetta has some serious issues and a rediculous amount of them are lemons, its mostly auto tranmissions and the 1.8 T engine but it was still risky, kinda sad, that car is HOT. Looking for a 2002 max 6-speed

This is the Jetta
http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/use...Ztbz1KZXR0YQ--

This is why I didn't buy it
http://myvwlemon.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Jetta and Maxima both have same suspension setup... interesting that it handles better my cousin has a 2001 VR6 5speed. if you like the car he has had very little problems with his, i think he has had some mass air flow sensor problems but all covered under warranty. there nice cars. if only has 32000 miles so you should be set.
good luck with whatever you get, they are all excellent choices.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 AM
wat

So you went from looking at a car to a better car? Wow...congrats.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:08 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Had enough problem w/ VW before. Never again will buy another VW
Old 10-29-2004, 10:39 AM

the jetta is voted the #1 most girly car to drive, the beatle is #2
Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 AM

Also looked at a manual 2003 GTI VR6 six speed but then i decided the jetta would be better, then i didn't get the jetta, now im wondering if that GTI might be put together better. only thing was it had 50k miles on it. the GTI is a car that isn't lacking anything as far as driving goes, you can go all out cornering and it is as fast as a maxima for sure
Old 10-29-2004, 11:30 AM

Also looked at a manual 2003 GTI VR6 six speed but then i decided the jetta would be better, then i didn't get the jetta, now im wondering if that GTI might be put together better. only thing was it had 50k miles on it. the GTI is a car that isn't lacking anything as far as driving goes, you can go all out cornering and it is as fast as a maxima for sure

no offense but first you need to realize what you want in a car. GTI is your average econobox that will let you take the turns fast. If thats what you want, then also consider fine Hondah products like RSX, Civic, Prelude, Mazda 3. If you want a premium midsize sedan then you have Maxima, Avalon, Millenia, etc. It is not fair to compare the Maxima with VW Gold-deriven econobox. FYI all VWs except GTI R32, Passat, and Toureg are assembled in Mexico...

P.S. this is a Maxima forum.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Im izz sexay

It's YOUR money. If you enjoy every aspect over a max then buy it. That Jetta looks good and has potential. As long as you keep it maintained then it shouldn't have problems. Just keep up with the recalls. My neighbor's daughter has had a Jetta for about 4 years. She has never serviced it other than what's routine. I'm pretty sure they (GTI and Jetta) can keep up and possibly beat a Maxima. Those cars have lots of aftermarket support, esp. GTI, but all in all buy what you feel you'll have within the next 6-7 years from now.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by wariow
the jetta is voted the #1 most girly car to drive, the beatle is #2
and don't forget celicas. i see at least 3 a day driven by girls. usually they are pretty hot. anyways......
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Im izz sexay

Hot girls drive hot celica's.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 PM

P.S. this is a Maxima forum.
Oh dude, i didn't even notice, thanx so much
Old 10-29-2004, 12:35 PM

Volkswagen- Founded by Hitler, designed in Germany, made in Mexico
Old 10-29-2004, 12:48 PM

VW quality control is just the pitts. They're getting beaten by basically everybody. I wouldn't touch one.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:58 PM
VIP Maxima

uhh, JETTA? are u a girl?

Old 10-29-2004, 01:31 PM

FYI all VWs except GTI R32, Passat, and Toureg are assembled in Mexico...

what exactly is wrong with a car made in Mexico?
lots of
Nissans are made in Mexico too.... I just want to know the rationale behind your statement.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:32 PM

U too, what is your point?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Im izz sexay

I think Hilter would have killed Mexicans as well as many others in North America
Old 10-29-2004, 04:35 PM

well, some jetta run fine, but others are just total lemons, even brand new, and not just a small few, but a lot! to the point of it being very risky to buy a VW, or so it seems. Now, i find it hard to believe, that had the jettas been made in germany, they would suck as much as the ones made in mexico. Maybe VW just didn't train peeps well enough or they dont have work ethic, or dont care, who knows
Old 10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
SuPeRmOd

well, some jetta run fine, but others are just total lemons, even brand new, and not just a small few, but a lot! to the point of it being very risky to buy a VW, or so it seems. Now, i find it hard to believe, that had the jettas been made in germany, they would suck as much as the ones made in mexico. Maybe VW just didn't train peeps well enough or they dont have work ethic, or dont care, who knows
guess that happens when the Lugies try to talk to Latins. guess the VW got "lost in translation"

look at the stickers for part % on the Max now. good amount from across the border.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:38 PM

Silly Rabbit, Jettas are for Chicks!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:07 PM
brotherhood of tq

my friends 23psi jetta isnt a lemon. i personally dont think i can drive a jetta everyday but his car hauls serious ***, ask anyone from north jersey that has seen it.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:03 PM

VW Jetta... LOL.. ewww. yuck! I see too many Jettas being driven by....... I'm not going to finish that sentence.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
VW quality control is just the pitts. They're getting beaten by basically everybody. I wouldn't touch one.

Yes, I read in consumer reports today VW scored last after Kia....
Old 10-30-2004, 11:19 AM

obviously most members have been brainwashed and cant think for themselves. VW has a bad rep, a lot of them need work. But they are really really fun to drive, I'd get a 1.8 and not a VR6, Id also get a GTI and not a Jetta, chip it, exhaust, up/down pipe, etc.... My wife has an A4 which is similar to a Jetta and it is pretty bad a$$.

*All the people that say eww, girl car blah blah blah are gay and if not they are on the waiting list, you know you are so dont try to argue about it.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
my friends 23psi jetta isnt a lemon. i personally dont think i can drive a jetta everyday but his car hauls serious ***, ask anyone from north jersey that has seen it.

i like the jetta but i could never get one. Every and any female that knows the slightest bit about cars tells me their favorite car is the Jetta aka they will always want to drive it aka i will not be so happy.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:45 PM

Not so sure the Jettas were any better back when they were made in Germany, Pennsylvania, etc. You don't seem to many of them runnig around these days. Also, BMW's have their own problems to boot. Just look at all the lawsuits on the internet. Furthermore, BMW's in the 70's and 80's had lots of manujfature issues. Let's not even get on Detroit's workmanship in the 80's.... to each his own, you can't blame a country or a RACE on materials and workmanship. It's the COMPANY that decides they want cheap labor and cheap suppliers. Many great things are made in Mexico, microchips, to start with. your average Grandma's peacemaker is made in Puerto Rico, as well as military contracted satelite electronics suppliers. The problem is not Mexico, or Brasil, or Malaysia, etc. The problem is Wolkswagen (and GM as well as others) going into 3rd world countries and exploiting the workers, polluting their enviroment, which in the end is ours too cuz we live in this freaking planet all together. The only ones who seem able to do it well, everywhere, is the Japanese. They respect the enviroment , the workers get better wages and they don't compromise on the local suppliers. Japanese cars are made everywhere now and they all seem ok. Hondas are being made in Brasil, aren't MAXIMAS made in rthe US? Honda Accords are made in Mexico too, the QC seems great, for a Honda .
Old 10-30-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by pedroboe
The problem is Wolkswagen (and GM as well as others) going into 3rd world countries and exploiting the workers, polluting their enviroment, which in the end is ours too cuz we live in this freaking planet all together....
What a change in the topic of this thread, ha.. That's a very broad and controversial issue you bring up here dude. So if you do not have facts and evidence for what you say, better do not go there....
Old 10-31-2004, 12:52 AM

Ha!
This thread is filled with innacurate, sexist and racist assumptions as to why someone should not buy a Jetta. ... Why don't you read the entire 1st page before you ask me for evidence, or facts?. It's just my opinion "dude".
Old 10-31-2004, 02:41 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

jetta's have reliability issues, stay away from them .. if I had to choose b/w a Jetta and a Maxima, Maxima hands down!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by ohannon7
obviously most members have been brainwashed and cant think for themselves. VW has a bad rep, a lot of them need work. But they are really really fun to drive, I'd get a 1.8 and not a VR6, Id also get a GTI and not a Jetta, chip it, exhaust, up/down pipe, etc.... My wife has an A4 which is similar to a Jetta and it is pretty bad a$$.

*All the people that say eww, girl car blah blah blah are gay and if not they are on the waiting list, you know you are so dont try to argue about it.
so why don't you trade your Max for a Jetta? Many cars receive an association. Personally, I have only know "preppies" and girls that drive them. You people have never heard or said "chick car"? For one, I am not corfortable at all in VWs being 6'. you have so yourself: bad rep, a lot of them need work. But your defense is that they are fun to drive.
So people are gay b/c they know that a certain car is preferred by more women then men? whatever.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:14 PM

there's nothing racist in staying away from a car assembled in Mexico. Then you might as well be driving a Hyundai, after all they are also good lookin' cars.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Jettas have had problems in the past. Sis in law had 99? Dealer couldn't fix some structual flaw. So they bought the damn car back! Can you believe that? You know that crap had to be bad for the dealer to up and refund her $ back.

Take a look at the Consumer Reports. I think the Passat and Golfs are okay but the Jetta used to be crap.

Quick Reply: ALMOST bought a JETTA, looking at Maximas again...