General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

a question.....IRS vs our beam

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 11:24 AM

Everybody believes that independent rear suspension is far superior to a beam type axel, like the one found in our 4th gens. I can see IRS being superiour on less than perfect roads. Right? Allowing the rear wheels to behave independtly on rough and bumpy roads....

What about a smooth surface. Does this even the field, so
to speak? What advantages do IRS have over beams on a flat surface, say a flat road course? With my limited automobile knowledge, I think IRS doesn't make that much of a deal.

Obviously a beam equipped can be competitive in autocrosses, especially with coilovers. There are quite a few maximas doing quite well in SoloII.

I have never driven close to the limits in either type of suspension so I don't really know. Just curious though....
Old 09-28-2000, 12:16 PM

well.....

Both do have their benifits. The obvious thing I dislike about a solid beam setup and a solid axel for that matter is this..
the beam keeps both tires on an even plane, but when one reacts to a pothole and the other is also affected drasticly, one wheel moves up and the other wheel moves down. like a see saw and the center of that beam is the pivot. That in itself can casue loss of traction, or wheel shobble.
In the independant sytem, when one wheel reacts, the other is not nearly affected. IE, the pot hole. the wheel that hits the potole is moved sudenly and only that wheels is adversaly affected. while the other wheel maintains correct placement. only a sway bar ties these 2 units.
Solid beams or axels tend to HOP over imperfections in the road when taking a lateral move. The ind. susp. soaks it up accordingly.
Lets say the surface is smooth as ice, I can see where a beam susp. would tend to slide the rear out more, and the ind. susp. would tend to make the car lean hard then swing out.
I've driven many solid and ind. susp. cars, and I can say this... I prefere the ind. rear on the MAXIMA and the solid on the COBRA. My Rx-7 is a solid axel and drives better than the COBRA due to long trailing arms and a panhard bar+swaybar. I've driven seval 4th and 5th GENS on spirited roads, the rear seems quirky to me on the 4th and 5th, almost wants to step out all the time, which is strange to me for a FWD car. on the other hand my 3rd Gen is quite capable on the back raods, and it tends to float on the fron end! who knows! I like both for different cars.
However I will stay true to the MAXIMA ind. susp. rear works for me.