General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

re:UPRD ECU mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 01:27 PM

Attn:Cheston & all who are "in the know" regarding this type of modification. With over 900 members here now, I think its safe to say that we prolly could get enough people together to see some good prices on the ECU. Judging from the responses to Tuesday's post, there is a lot of uncertainty amoungst us. This is b/c, unlike the Y-pipe, et al, which are known & proven modifications, this is something new. No one has run with it in their car for a year or so, hence, there's plenty of hesitation - myself included.

So, if I may be so bold, I'd like to offer up a few very fundamental questions on behalf of the low-techs & no-techs here, again - like myself, which will help tremendously in our decision making process. Anybody, of course, can respond - but it would be really great if we could get UPRD to come in and post some replies themselves. I think what most of us want is a)a good deal, dollar wise & b)peace of mind. Right now, with just Nabil's dyno run to go off, we have none of the latter. Lets get a discussion going, here we go:

1. I've never pulled an ECU, let alone pulled it and mailed it someplace - how big a job is that? Will UPRD REALLY deliver 48 hour turn around? I can't have my car out of commission in the garage for a week.

2. In Nabil's post he wrote, "No pinging/knocking/detonation detected... The UPRD engineer...adjusted the timing from 5-8 degrees, and leaned out the fuel just a tad on the top end. I gave him the green light...since I'm able to trim the settings however I want with the S-AFC. He chose a good conservative setting and I'll attempt to bracket that by playing around with the S-AFC later."

WHAT??? That's greek to me. It sounds as if tweaking is still taking place. As Kato asked, will the ECU still adjust timing if pinging or knocking do occur? I don't know what an S-AFC is, but I'm certaint that I don't have one. Is this tinkering with timing and trimming settings going to be a part of the process? How on earth can guys who have a phillips head screw driver & a pair of pliers for a garage accomplish this? Ping & knock occurance are major issues, major concerns.

3. Nabil wrote, "This is a solder-it-and-forget-it proposition, so once your put it in, you're pretty much married to it."
The obvious concern here is, what if we have problems? I think we all want the power, but even more so, we don't want cars that are going to be visiting the shop every other week. What are the warranty, return & transfer of ownership policies? Can UPRD address this?

4. Group price for ECU is independant of Techtom MDM-100, right? Personally, I'd prolly forgo the MDM-100.

Thanks Cheston - this is awesome work that you did, I know we all appreciate it!

[Edited by Booker on 09-28-2000 at 03:32 PM]

Old 09-28-2000, 04:41 PM

I agree. I would be interested in this mod, but I would like a LOT more info before I jump. Being that this mod is not (easily) reversible I would like to see some technical information on what was involved with the prototype process, which engine parameters are being adjusted, and a detailed technical explanation of precisely how the daughter board works with the stock ECU.

Are the parameter adjustments any differnet for an auto than for the 5-speed? If so, have both transmission types been prototyped?

I also cannot afford to have my car out of commisison for long.

I would like to see UPRD post a VERY LONG and DETAILED explanation of everything they did, and how they did it.

Also - Cheston - NICE JOB on doing all of this research. Being that this is the type of mod which could potentially be disastrous if not properly researched is going to prompt a lot more questions.

Personally, I do not want to be a guinea pig for UPRD!
Old 09-28-2000, 08:06 PM

Comments from a lurker

I can't believe that there isn't more interest in this thread. Are all you guys going to either not get the ECU, or get it on blind faith? Anyway, I got this email today shortly after starting this thread. Thought I'd put it up:

Saw your write up on the BBS....Here's a few more things to add -
Stillen worked on 97+ Maxima ECU mods for over a year then dropped the entire effort. How can UPRD accomplish this in one day of tunning?

If 97+ Maxima's need a 96 core swap how does UPRD plan to get their hands on many 96 ECU's to swap out for all of us 97+ owners that are interested in this group deal???

UPRD needs to be activily involved in our concerns...I too want to see a Clayton vs Dynometer comparision and UPRD needs to test 96, and 97+ ECU in the real world driving we all do....They must need a list from each of us asking what mods we have done to the car because this inforamtion will
affect the results of the programming.

Could you add my concerns to the BBS...I don't have a password yet but I've been reading the ECU comments.

Old 09-28-2000, 08:21 PM

All I will suggest is:
Get it on a dynojet.
Old 09-28-2000, 08:44 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Clayton Dyno is what Sport Compact car use on their project cars to measure gains. It puts a load on the car like you would if you are driving on real road. It's better than a regular Dynojet. It's just another type of dyno. I don't see why we need to dyno the same car on various different make and model of dyno. They did a baseline run and then another run after the mod. What more prove do you need?? A letter from the U.S. Attorny General?? If there are gains on one dyno, there will be gain on any dyno. Dyno is a dyno. Wake up people!!!!

Originally posted by WoodEar
All I will suggest is:
Get it on a dynojet.
[Edited by 1MAX2NV on 09-28-2000 at 10:53 PM]
Old 09-28-2000, 09:01 PM

Ok, make myself more clear. Take it to an *independent* dyno place.
Btw, no need to get excited, just buy it now if you want, it's your money and your car, do I give a ****?
Old 09-28-2000, 09:10 PM

A dyno is NOT a dyno..Read the November issue of SCC
page 206...The Clayton chassis dynamometer has big
problems with traction.....Read the article "the power measurement is only as accurate as the amount of traction
on the rollers and the cars tires"

"Since the rollers on the Clayton dyno are smallers than the
diameters of the car's tires, its very hard for even low powered cars to get enough traction to grip the rollers
without slipping. Any sort of slipping drastically screws
up the accuracy of the test"
Old 10-01-2000, 05:51 PM

And if you read the issue they had several months ago, they said that the Clayton dyno at UPRD is much more accurate than the old style Clayton dynoes.
Old 10-01-2000, 11:52 PM
Kato

IIRC, Robert (Biomax) tried a core swap on his 97

He used a 95-96 ECU that was tuned by JWT and popped it in his 97 with virtually no gain. Well, I think it may have been 10 lb/ft of torque, but very little horsepower. Certainly nothing like Nabil has supposedly gained with the UPRD ECU. Would it make a big difference if you tried tuning a 96 ECU specifically for a 97? What the heck are the ECU differences anyways? I guess we'll find out soon enough, but I'm not holding my breath.....

Old 10-04-2000, 03:25 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

ok, well to address those few questions/comments you all had.

1) The clayton dyno was in house. Big ****ing deal if it's inhouse. what, you think they secretly add 15 hp to it so they look better than others? gimme a break.

we did see slippage on the dyno, but those runs were scrubbed and extra loads were put onto the tie downs to force the front ends of the car to get better grippage on to the rollers.

the major difference btwn the clayton and the dynojet is that the clayton offers more of a "REAL WORLD" senario. I mean ****, if you wanted to see the best dyno ever, you'd have this car in a vaccum enclosed space where all other factors would be nil. i mean. **** woodear, i'll set up 10 differnt dynojets, and i guarantee you each of them will give differnet results. time of day, in door temp, out door temp,
what matters is testing the stock car on the same dyno as testing the UPRD ECU installed car. you know?

2) as for research. yes, stillen looked into this ecu, you know why? UPRD had a contract WITH stillen. don't believe me, eh? well, then that's fine. Stillen approached UPRD with the idea for a 97+ ecu, but then contract negotiations failed, and stillen has about 40 rom boards stuck in their warehouse sitting, collecting dust. UPRD developed a majority of maxima ecus even before they were URPD.

3) the ECU will work for both AUTO AND STICK because the auto's shifting is controlled by the tranny computer. and thats not touched by UPRD.

4) core swappage. I KNOW THIS IS MY MAIN PEEV. they've tried to get their 96 rom board to work for the 97, but they don't have a 97 ECU, so that is why i am giving them my ECU to be the beta tester for future mods. i'll be going back to a 96 ECU with the rom board in it, and hopefully they'll have the ECU for the 97s at a later date. for now, the only stupid part is having ppl gettin' their own 96 ECU from a local junk yard for about $100.00. I know this is lame, but i'm trying to have UPRD buy a lot of used or new ECUs so we can get it as a plug in play for 97+ years.

5) This deal is NOT DEPENDENT ON THE TECHTOM MDM.
if you want the TECHTOM MDM-100, there is a separate grp buy. but we'll need at least 20 ppl to get the cheaper price of about $370ish.

7) TIMING is controlled by the on-board rom on the ECU, AND CANNOT BE CHANGED WITH A SCREW DRIVER.!!!!

the technican has to remove the chip from the computer, download the assembly language onto a PC, and from there, the engineer will advance the timing by changing the code.

8) This group deal can't work without the help of yourselves. Nabil and I have worked hard on this, tryin' to get ppl's support and other techincal advice, and we're working with UPRD to get this mod out for Maximas. thanks for the support, and you'll know this ECU deal will be babied by us, and only the best product will be sold. WE don't need another St. Andres or StreetBeat grp deal to rip us off...

for all inquiries, please make your way over to
MaximaDriver.com and click on the link to the UPRD ECU info for up-to-date info

thanks
Cheston

Old 10-04-2000, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
Ok, make myself more clear. Take it to an *independent* dyno place.
Btw, no need to get excited, just buy it now if you want, it's your money and your car, do I give a ****?
Woodear,

In case you didn't know, that's my car that went through the UPRD ECU upgrade.

I'm willing to oblige you if you're willing to foot the bill. So if you send me $75 to dyno my car at an "independent" DynoJet shop I'll gladly have it done for you and the rest of the skeptics.

Paypal works great for me. send to socalnabil@yahoo.com

If you're not willing to do it, then I say you should cool it and accept the Clayton Dyno chart I have of my car since it is just as valid and DOES reflect the before and after curves.
http://63.204.172.66/maxima/uprd%201.jpg

--Nabil
Old 10-04-2000, 03:38 PM

I only want the Techtom, I have sent you 2 emails

cheb. and want to know when they will start shipping and where I send a check or C.C. info to. Also if there are not 20 ppl that get the techtom what will the price be and 370ish is that with shipping. I want to order it now but if I have to wait till 20 ppl join who knows how long that can be we all know how these GD go, atleast those who have worked one. Well let me know so that I can make a desicion on whethor or not to wait on this. Thanks
Old 10-04-2000, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Booker

I can't believe that there isn't more interest in this thread. Are all you guys going to either not get the ECU, or get it on blind faith? Anyway, I got this email today shortly after starting this thread. Thought I'd put it up:

Saw your write up on the BBS....Here's a few more things to add -
Stillen worked on 97+ Maxima ECU mods for over a year then dropped the entire effort. How can UPRD accomplish this in one day of tunning?

Stillen did NOT work on Maxima ECUs. In fact, Stillen was contracted to sell G-Force Engineering's ECUs but they decided to **** G-Force around and hold them hostage to the contract they signed together and prevent them from marketing their ECU until G-Force went out of business. Nice move Stillen.

If 97+ Maxima's need a 96 core swap how does UPRD plan to get their hands on many 96 ECU's to swap out for all of us 97+ owners that are interested in this group deal???

UPRD needs to be activily involved in our concerns...I too want to see a Clayton vs Dynometer comparision and UPRD needs to test 96, and 97+ ECU in the real world driving we all do....They must need a list from each of us asking what mods we have done to the car because this inforamtion will
affect the results of the programming.

My car represents as far as a normally aspirated Maxima can go, so the settings that they tuned on my car will be quite safe for average Maximas, provided potential owners don't do something dumb like put 87 octane in them (92 Octane is a must).

Also, UPRD is responsible and knowledgeable enough to say that they want to beta test a supercharged Maxima first before they approve their ECUs for them.
The difference is that SC cars will more likely be hungry for more fuel and may need to have their timing readjusted to compensate for the boost.
Also, what is gained by your Clayton vs Dynojet thing? This is preposterous... Look, my car did 186.1hp & 196.4ft-lbs on a DynoJet back in May. Last week, on the Clayton Dyno, my car registered 175.9hp & 184.5ft-lbs. Then UPRD upgraded the car and that same afternoon, it registered 189.9hp & 203.2ft-lbs. So you do the math to project what to expect from a DynoJet. It's not that hard to do.

Could you add my concerns to the BBS...I don't have a password yet but I've been reading the ECU comments.

Old 10-04-2000, 04:22 PM

Re: IIRC, Robert (Biomax) tried a core swap on his 97

Originally posted by Kato
He used a 95-96 ECU that was tuned by JWT and popped it in his 97 with virtually no gain. Well, I think it may have been 10 lb/ft of torque, but very little horsepower. Certainly nothing like Nabil has supposedly gained with the UPRD ECU. Would it make a big difference if you tried tuning a 96 ECU specifically for a 97? What the heck are the ECU differences anyways? I guess we'll find out soon enough, but I'm not holding my breath.....
Jeff,

I suspect that the ECU which Robert got may not have been optimized for his car. Heck JWT may have forgotten to dial in much of a difference for his ECU. But we'll never know for sure.

But rest assured that my car now FEELS MUCH FASTER and the dyno only corroborates what I feel from the seat of my pants.

In fact, I took Cheston and another friend this past Saturday to Buttonwillow and we put my car through a rigorous workout up there where Cheston got to sample for himself how strongly it pulled throughout the gears. It managed 148MPH until I had to back off for traffic on one stretch. And another time I punched it in 5th gear and Cheston mistakenly thought I had the car in 3rd gear. To his amazement I assured him it was in 5th gear, and that made a believer out of him and impressed the hell out of the other friend sitting with us.

So in essence, the car has made significant gains in power, and Cheston and I can vouch for it. Soon, the rest of the SoCal guys will get to drive my car and report the same.
I hope this puts some of the skeptics' minds at ease.

--Nabil
Old 10-04-2000, 05:24 PM

OK, I've got answers, replies, responses, and other redundant things ;-P

Originally posted by Booker
Attn:Cheston & all who are "in the know" regarding this type of modification. With over 900 members here now, I think its safe to say that we prolly could get enough people together to see some good prices on the ECU. Judging from the responses to Tuesday's post, there is a lot of uncertainty amoungst us. This is b/c, unlike the Y-pipe, et al, which are known & proven modifications, this is something new. No one has run with it in their car for a year or so, hence, there's plenty of hesitation - myself included.

So, if I may be so bold, I'd like to offer up a few very fundamental questions on behalf of the low-techs & no-techs here, again - like myself, which will help tremendously in our decision making process. Anybody, of course, can respond - but it would be really great if we could get UPRD to come in and post some replies themselves. I think what most of us want is a)a good deal, dollar wise & b)peace of mind. Right now, with just Nabil's dyno run to go off, we have none of the latter. Lets get a discussion going, here we go:

OK, Hope I can make you happy ;-)

1. I've never pulled an ECU, let alone pulled it and mailed it someplace - how big a job is that? Will UPRD REALLY deliver 48 hour turn around? I can't have my car out of commission in the garage for a week.

UPRD hasn't given me too much detail on this, but I suspect they may provide an advance exchange setup similar to what Don does with the VB mod.

2. In Nabil's post he wrote, "No pinging/knocking/detonation detected... The UPRD engineer...adjusted the timing from 5-8 degrees, and leaned out the fuel just a tad on the top end. I gave him the green light...since I'm able to trim the settings however I want with the S-AFC. He chose a good conservative setting and I'll attempt to bracket that by playing around with the S-AFC later."

WHAT??? That's greek to me. It sounds as if tweaking is still taking place. As Kato asked, will the ECU still adjust timing if pinging or knocking do occur? I don't know what an S-AFC is, but I'm certaint that I don't have one. Is this tinkering with timing and trimming settings going to be a part of the process? How on earth can guys who have a phillips head screw driver & a pair of pliers for a garage accomplish this? Ping & knock occurance are major issues, major concerns.

Let me clarify this. I specifically asked the UPRD engineer who was dialing in the new fuel/timing maps on the now fully programmable ECU to keep the fuel maps on the conservative side. Basically, I didn't want him to go all out to make power especially on the top end. The reason was that since I already have my Apex'i S-AFC on my car, that I could trim the settings even further or dial them down if I want. But the settings the engineer selected are made to be safe provided you use 92 octane gasoline.

3. Nabil wrote, "This is a solder-it-and-forget-it proposition, so once your put it in, you're pretty much married to it."
The obvious concern here is, what if we have problems? I think we all want the power, but even more so, we don't want cars that are going to be visiting the shop every other week. What are the warranty, return & transfer of ownership policies? Can UPRD address this?

Let me explain how the UPRD daughterboard operates and maybe that'll help clear up some of the questions you have here.

The UPRD daughterboard carries the modified fuel/timing maps. The original maps on the ECU's original ROM chip are marked so that whenever the ECU attempts to access those, the daughterboard's fully programmable maps are accessed instead. This will NOT remove any OBD-II functionality of the ECU, and therefore you should not have any problems with gremlins as a result of this upgrade.

Another thing UPRD did that impressed me was their systematic approach to performing the work on my car. They tested it before installation, they tested it after they downloaded of my ROM maps, and then again after the daughterboard was installed. I was quite impressed with this thorough approach and that's why I feel comfortable in speaking so highly of them.

4. Group price for ECU is independant of Techtom MDM-100, right? Personally, I'd prolly forgo the MDM-100.

Thanks Cheston - this is awesome work that you did, I know we all appreciate it!

[Edited by Booker on 09-28-2000 at 03:32 PM]
I hope I've been able to address most if not all your concerns here. But for more UPRD discussions, you can find me mostly at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/nissanmaxima

--Nabil
Old 10-04-2000, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Tmeyers
A dyno is NOT a dyno..Read the November issue of SCC
page 206...The Clayton chassis dynamometer has big
problems with traction.....Read the article "the power measurement is only as accurate as the amount of traction
on the rollers and the cars tires"

"Since the rollers on the Clayton dyno are smallers than the
diameters of the car's tires, its very hard for even low powered cars to get enough traction to grip the rollers
without slipping. Any sort of slipping drastically screws
up the accuracy of the test"
You're right, traction is an issue with the Clayton Dyno. We scrubbed 2 runs with my car where it just lost traction, in 3rd gear!

But be rest assured, when it did botch those 2 runs, the results that registered by the dyno computer were much lower, and the dyno technicians aborted the runs as soon as that happened.

SO.... If anything, the Clayton Dyno WOULD NOT HAVE REGISTERD HIGHER GAINS that were NOT there. So one can also presume that based on that premise, that it would be reasonable to believe that the car may have even more power that may not have transfered down to the dyno rollers appropriately. But I wasn't going to claim something that I could not substantiate. (Hi Russ) ;-P

--Nabil
Old 10-04-2000, 07:15 PM

When will the 97 ECU's b ready ???

Thanks for replying to everyones questions....You answered
mine and I apreciate your honesty...
Now about those 97+ ECU's...when does UPRD plan on having
some available WITH the mods and the daughter board ????

What will the prices jump look like ???? $100.00 more
$200.00 more ??????..and does UPRD have extra 96 ECU's
available NOW for people who want the mods for 97+ Maxima's
and don't feel like waiting for the 97+ ECU problems to be
worked out ???

Thx, Tmeyers-Colorado
97 Maxima SE 5sp
Old 10-04-2000, 07:34 PM

In order for the '97 ECUs to be available

Originally posted by Tmeyers
Thanks for replying to everyones questions....You answered
mine and I apreciate your honesty...
Now about those 97+ ECU's...when does UPRD plan on having
some available WITH the mods and the daughter board ????

What will the prices jump look like ???? $100.00 more
$200.00 more ??????..and does UPRD have extra 96 ECU's
available NOW for people who want the mods for 97+ Maxima's
and don't feel like waiting for the 97+ ECU problems to be
worked out ???

Thx, Tmeyers-Colorado
97 Maxima SE 5sp
There are three things that have to happen for the '97 (and '98 I think) ECUs to become available.

1. They have to find Cheston a '96 ECU so he can swap his '97 ECU with that as a donor piece.

2. UPRD has to develop another board or re-pin their current one to interface properly with the '97 ECU.

3. Test it on Cheston's car once the beta unit is complete, and then they'll make them ready for your consumption.

Now I'm not sure how long this would take exactly. I guess it's all up to UPRD. I suppose if they see a great response from the '95-96 group deal, they may be greatly motivated to get it done fast, but if the group deal blows, then they may even forget about doing a '97 ECU if they don't see the demand. (wicked chicken/egg dilemma)

That's why it sorta makes more sense for those who can't wait to just try to find a '96 ECU and be done with it.

--Nabil
Old 10-04-2000, 08:20 PM

what about the cost factor or a 96 ecu ??????
when does uprd think they will have a fix for the 97+
owners ????
I ready when UPRD redesigns their daughter board for
the 97 and I see results !!!!!!...Tell UPRD the 97+
owners are waiting....Why don't you take another poll
and find out why people are waiting if they have a 95-96
is it just to comfirm the dyno numbers...

How many 97+ owners are waiting ?????

Thx, Tmeyers-Colorado
97 Maxima SE 5sp (waiting for UPRD)
Old 10-04-2000, 08:38 PM

Here's another UPRD Dyno Chart to look at.

I've scanned the second UPRD Dyno chart. This one shows the my first baseline run vs my 2 UPRD ECU runs.

This shows even the greater differences that I've been talking about since the first chart did not have my 2nd UPRD ECU run on it.
Notice the delta of ~30hp difference between the red and the blue curves at 4500 & 5000RPMs.

http://63.204.172.66/maxima/uprd%202.jpg

And below, I'm including the URL to the first chart, just for the heck of it.

http://63.204.172.66/maxima/uprd%201.jpg

--Nabil
Old 10-04-2000, 09:42 PM
MAC

96 vs 99 ecu

Nabil,

I emailed Cheston on this, but may be you can answer some ??

I own a 96 max thats pretty stock, and a 99 max that's modded. Question is can I swap the two car's ecu? Will the 99 max ecu function "normal" for my 96 car? Then will my 96 ecu that gets upgraded work in my late 99 w/o problems? since my 99 have so much more emmission than an early 97 or so max.

Also, have you noticed any gas miledge loss?

I'll buy one this week if you tell me it will work, and will give results. I'll be happy if I gain 20 hp for 450 bucks. That's a lot more return than a 10 hp gain y pipe for 350!

thanks, Ming
Old 10-05-2000, 12:48 AM

Re: 96 vs 99 ecu

Originally posted by MAC
Nabil,

I emailed Cheston on this, but may be you can answer some ??

I own a 96 max thats pretty stock, and a 99 max that's modded. Question is can I swap the two car's ecu? Will the 99 max ecu function "normal" for my 96 car? Then will my 96 ecu that gets upgraded work in my late 99 w/o problems? since my 99 have so much more emmission than an early 97 or so max.

Also, have you noticed any gas miledge loss?

I'll buy one this week if you tell me it will work, and will give results. I'll be happy if I gain 20 hp for 450 bucks. That's a lot more return than a 10 hp gain y pipe for 350!

thanks, Ming
Ming,

If your '99 is a TLEV car (Cali spec), then you're out of luck. There's just too many things you'd have to modify to make the car work with the '96 ECU. But if your car is a Fed Spec '99, I'd say it may be possible.

--Nabil